Abbreviations Clarified

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Abbreviations Clarified

IN SHA' ALLAH When a person wishes to plan for the future, when he promises, when he makes resolutions, and when he makes a pledge, he makes them with permission and the will of Allah. For this reason, a Muslim uses the Qur'anic instructions by saying "In Sha ' Allah." The meaning of this statement is: "If Allah wills." Muslims are to strive hard and to put their trusts with Allah. They leave the results in the hands of Allah.

INNA LILLAHI WA INNA ILAHI RAJI'UN
When a Muslim is struck with a calamity, when he loses one of his loved ones, or when he has gone bankrupt, he should be patient and say this statement, the meaning of which is : "We are from Allah and to hom we are returning." Muslims believe that Allah is the One who gives and it is He takes away. He is testing us. Hence, a Muslim submits himself to Allah. He is grateful and thankful to Allah for whatever he gets. On the other hand, he is patient and says this expression in times of turmoil and calamity.

JAZAKALLAHU KHAYRAN
This is a statement of thanks and appreciation to be said to the person who does a favor. Instead of saying "thanks" (Shukran), the Islamic statement of thanks is to say this phrase. Its meaning is: " May Allah reward you for the good." It is understood that human beings can't repay one another enough. Hence, it is better to request Almighty Allah to reward the person who did a favor and to give him the best.

KALAM Talk or speech as in "kalamu Allah"; has also been used through the ages to mean logic or philosophy.

LA HAWLA WA LA QUWWATA ILLA BILLAH
The meaning of this expression is: " There is no power and no strength save in Allah." This expression is read by a Muslim when he is struck by a calamity, or is taken over by a situation beyond his control. A Muslim puts his trust in the hands of Allah, and submits himself to Allah.

LA ILAHA ILLALLAH
This expression is the most important one in Islam. It is the creed that every person has to say to be considered a Muslim. It is part of the first pillar of Islam. The meaning of which is: "There is no lord worthy of worship except Allah." The second part of this first pillar is to say: "Muhammadun Rasul Allah," which means: "Muhammad is the messenger of Allah."

MA SHA' ALLAH This is an expression that Muslims say whenever they are excited and surprised. When they wish to express their happiness, they use such an expression. The meaning of "Ma sha' Allah" is: "Whatever Allah wants." or "Whatever Allah wants to give, He gives." This means that whenever Allah gives something good to someone, blesses him, honors him, and opens the door of success in business, a Muslim says this statement of "Ma Sha' Allah." It has become a tradition that whenever a person constructs a building, a house, or an office, he puts a plaque on the wall or the entrance with this statement. It is a sign of thanks and appreciation from the person to Almighty Allah for whatever he was blessed with.

MUHAMMADUN RASULULLAH
This statement is the second part of the first pillar of Islam. The meaning of this part is that Prophet Muhammad is the last and final prophet and messenger of Allah to mankind. He is the culmination, summation, purification of the previous prophets of Allah to humanity.

P.B.U.H. These letters are abbreviations for the words Peace Be Upon Him which are the meaning of the Arabic expression " 'Alaihis Salam", which is an expression that is said when the name of a prophet is mentioned. This expression is widely used by English speaking Muslims. It is to be noticed here that this expression does not give the full meaning of "Salla Allahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam". Therefore it is recommended that people do not use (p.b.u.h.) after the name of prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.); they should use "Salla Allahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam" instead, or they may use the abbreviated form of (s.a..w) in writing.

RADHIALLAHU 'ANHU (RA)
This is an expression to be used by Muslims whenever a name of a companion of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) is mentioned or used in writing. The meaning of this statement is: "May Allah be pleased with him." Muslims are taught to be respectful to the elderly and to those who contributed to the spread and success in Islam. They are to be grateful to the companions of the prophet (s.a.w.) for their sacrifices, their leadership, and their contributions. Muslims are advised to use this phrase when such names are mentioned or written.

SADAQALLAHUL 'AZIM
This is a statement of truth that a Muslim says after reading any amount of verses from the Qur'an. The meaning of it is: "Allah says the truth." The Qur'an is the exact words of Allah in verbatim. When Allah speaks, He says the truth; and when the Qur'an is being recited, a Muslim is reciting the words of truth of Allah. Hence, he says: "Sadaqallahul 'Azim."

SALLALLAHU 'ALAIHI WA SALLAM
When the name of Prophet Muhammad (saw) is mentioned or written, a Muslim is to respect him and invoke this statement of peace upon him. The meaning of it is: "May the blessings and the peace of Allah be upon him (Muhammad). Another expression that is alternatively used is: "Alaihissalatu Wassalam." This expression means: "On Him (Muhammad) are the blessings and the peace of Allah." Allah has ordered Muslims, in the Qur'an, to say such an expression. Muslims are infoormed that if they proclaim such a statement once, Allah will reward them ten times. S.A.W. These letters are abbreviations for the words "Salla Allahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam".

SUBHANAHU WA TA'ALA
This is an expression that Muslims use whenever the name of Allah is pronounced or written. The meaning of this expression is: "Allah is pure of having partners and He is exalted from having a son." Muslims believe that Allah is the only God, the Creator of the Universe. He does not have partners or children. Sometimes Muslims use other expressions when the name of Allah is written or pronounced. Some of which are: "'Azza Wa Jall": He is the Mighty and the Majestic; "Jalla Jalaluh": He is the exalted Majestic. S.W.T. These letters are abbreviations for the words of "Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala".

WA 'ALAIKUMUS SALAM
This is an expression that a Muslim is to say as an answer for the greeting. When a person greets another with a salutation of peace, the answer for the greeting is an answer of peace. The meaning of this statement is: "And upon you is the peace." The other expressions are: " Wa Alaikums Salam Wa Rahmatullah." and "Wa 'Alaikums Salam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh."

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
There are a number of different collections of Islamic terms and common expressions. Here is a collection that I have found to be most useful to explain common expressions and terminology used by Muslims.

ALAYHIS SALAM-
'Peace be upon him', a formula used after the name of a prophet

AMEEN-
The Arabic expression meaning 'Please accept.' Used at the end of prayers and supplications.

ASSALAMU ALAYKUM
'Peace be upon you' the greeting of the Muslim
[the reply is 'wa alaikumus salam' which means 'and peace be upon you. The fuller version reads, 'assalam u alaikum wa rahmatulahi wa baakatuhu' which means 'peace be upon you and the blessings and mercy of Alllah' the reply is 'wa alaikumus salam wa rahmatulahi wa baakatuhu']

ALLAHU AKBAR-
The Arabic expression meaning 'Allah is greater.' Also called the takbir

ALLAHU ALAM-
An Arabic expression meaning 'Allah knows best'

AL HAMDU LILAH WA SHUKRU LILLAH-
The Arabic expression meaning which means 'Praise belongs to Allah and all thanks to Allah'

AMMA BAAD-
An expression used for separating an introductory from the main topics in a speech; the introductory being usually concerned with Allahs praises and glorification. Literally it means 'whatever comes after'

ASTAGFURALLAH-
The Arabic expression meaning 'I ask forgiveness of Allah'

AUDHU BILLAHI MIN ASH SHAYTAN AR RAJIM-
The Arabic expression meaning 'I seek protection in Allah from the accursed Satan.'

AZZA WA JAL-
A formula used after the mentioning the name of Allah meaning 'Mighty and Majestic is He'

BARAKALLAH FIK-
An expression which means 'May the blessings of Allah be upon you.' When a Muslims wants to thank another person, he uses different statements to express his thanks, appreciation and gratitude. One of them is BarakAllah

BISMILLAH AR RAHMAN AR RAHIM-
The basmala. 'In the name of Allah, the all Merciful the all Compassionate.'
[this is also translated as in the name of Allah most gracious most merciful]

FI AMANALLAH-
Valedictory phrase meaning 'In Allahs protection'

FI SABILILLAH-
The Arabic expression meaning 'In the way of Allah', 'For the cause of Allah' [also used to mean 'for the love of Allah']

HADHRAT/HAZRAT-
Literally 'Presence'; a term of address roughly equivalent to 'Your Honour'

HASBALA-
The Arabic expression, 'Hasbunallah wa nimalwakil' meaning 'Allah is enough for us and an excellent guardian'. Usually known as 'Hasbi Allah'

HAWQALA-
The Arabic expression, 'la hawla wa la quwwata illa billah' which means 'There is no power nor strength save (expect) by Allah'

INSHALLAH-
The Arabic expression meaning 'If Allah wills'
[this is usually said when referring to a situation in the future e.g. inshAllah I will go to the grocery shop tomorrow etc]

ISTIGHFAR-
To ask the forgiveness of Allah, especially by saying, Astagfuralah, 'I seek the forgiveness of Allah'

ISTITHNA-
Exception, saying 'InshAllah', 'If Allah wills'

ITAQILLAH-
The Arabic expression meaning 'Fear Allah' - i.e. To fear to do something (i.e. a bad action), knowing that Allah is always watching.

JALLA JALALUH-
The formula said after the name of Allah meaning 'Great is His Majesty'

JAZAKALLAHU KHAIRAN-
This is a statement of thanks and appreciation to be said to a person who does a favour. Instead of saying 'shukran' (thanks), this phrase is used. It means 'May Allah reward you with good.

KARAM ALLAHU WAJHAHU-
'May Allah honour him', a formula used when Ali ibn Abi Talib (RadiAllahu Ta'ala anhu) is mentioned

LABBAYK-
'At your service', the talbiya or call of the pilgrim to his Lord in the hajj.

[the full talbiya is 'LabbaykAllah huma Labbayk, LabbaykAllah sharee kalala Labbayk, innal hamda, wa naimata lakawulmulk la shareekala' which means "Here I am O Lord, here I am, Oh Allah, here I am. Here I am. You have no partner. Here I am. Surely all praise, grace and dominion is yours, and you have no partner."]

LA HAWLA WALA QUWWATA ILLA BILLAH-
The meaning of this expression is 'There is no power nor strength save in Allah'. This is said by a muslim when he is struck with calamity, or is taken over by a situation beyond his control.

LI WAJHILLAH-
Literally, 'For the face of Allah', meaning in order to obtain the pleasure of Allah, purely for Allah himself.

MA SALAMA-
'With peace', a formula for ending letters

MASHALLAH-
A phrase literally meaning 'What Allah wishes', and it indicates a good omen
[example of usage, I get an A in a test, my mother would say MashAllah]

MALWANA
'Our master', a term of respect
[usually used in the context of referring to the Prophet , also however used in the context of referring to a learned individual e.g. scholar or imam, a concept I am not too keen on supporting and Allah knows best]

RABBANA WA LAKAL_HAMD-
'Our Lord, Praise if yours', said after rising from ruku after saying 'sami Allahuliman hamidah'
[which means 'Allah listens to the one who praises him']

RADIYALLAHU ANHA-
The formula 'May Allah be pleased with her' used after a female companion
[usually abbreviated as RA or RAA]

RADIYALLAHU ANHU-
This is an expression to be used by muslims whenever a name of a companion of the Prophet Muhammed is mentioned or used in writing. IT means 'May Allah be pleased with him'

RADIYALLAHU ANHUM-
The formula, 'May Allah be pleased with them', used after a group of companions

RAHIMAHULLAH-
The formula, 'May Allah have mercy on him'

SALLAHU ALAYHI WA SALLAM-
'May Allah bless him and grant him peace', the formula spoken after the mentioning of the Prophet Muhammed
[usually the following two sets of abbreviations are used for this phrase (pbuh) which means 'peace be upon him' and is the technical reply for all Prophets or (saws) the correct suffix when referring to the Prophet Muhammed ]

SAMI ALLAHU LIMAN HAMIDAH-
'Allah heard him who send praise to Him', said by someone praying when he rises from ruku (unless he is following an imam in prayer)
[if he is following an imam in prayer he says 'Rabana wala kalhamd' only]

SAYYIDUNA-
'Our Master', a term of respect. Literally means 'Lord' or 'Master, or 'Leader'
[usually used to refer to the Prophet Muhammed , however many people use it to refer to learned man / scholar, a practise I am not keen on - and Allah knows best]. It is also frequently used to denote a descendant of the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam)

SHUYUKH -
Magestic plural of Shaykh, literally meaning 'Old man' - an honorific title widely used to denote scholars, as well as tribal chieftians and notables.

SIDI-
Colloquial for 'Sayyidi' or 'Sayyiduna' - My 'Lord/Master/Leader' - an honorific term - especially popular in North Africa.

SUBHANALLAH-
'Glorified is Allah.' To honour Allah andmake Him free from all (unsuitable evil things) that are ascribed to Him, (or 'Glorified be Allah')

SUBHANAHU WA TA'ALA-
'Glorified is He and exalted,' an expression that muslims use when the name of Allah is pronounced or written
[this us usually abbreviated as (swt)]

TA'ALA-
'Exalted is He', an expression used after the name of Allah is mentioned
[i.e. Allah Ta'ala meaning, Allah, exalted be He]

TAAWWUDH-
Saying, 'I seek refuge in Allah...' (audhu billahi minash shaitan nirajeem)

TABARAKALLAH-
The formula 'Blessed is Allah' [usually used in the context of when one hears good news]

TAHMID-
Saying the expression 'alhamdulillah', which means 'Praise belongs to Allah'

TAKBIR-
Saying 'Allahu akbar', which means 'Allah is Great'

TALBIYA-
Saying 'Labbayk', which means 'At your service' during the hajj

TAMJID-
Glorifying Allah

TARDIYA-
Saying one of the expressions which begin with 'radiyallahu....'

TASBIH-
Glorification, saying 'SubhanAllah', which means 'Glory be to Allah'

TASHMIT -
Uttering a prayer for the sneezer which thes the form, 'yarhamuk Allah' which means 'may Allah have mercy on you'

[when a person sneezes he says, Ahamdulillah (Praise be to Allah), a person who hears the sneeze says 'yarhamuk Allah' and the sneezer replies 'Yahdikumul-lah wa Yuslih balakum' which means 'May Allah give you guidance and improve your condition.']

ULAMA -
Scholars, or learned men. Especially applied to religious scholars, but often used also for those learned in other branches of knowledge.

WAJHULLAH -
'The face of Allah', meaning for the sake of Allah, irrespective of any reward in this life, purely for Allah'

ZAWIYA -
Lodge of religious order or fraternity.