Any books on evolution by Muslim scientists?

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Salam alikom,

I'd like to read about how Muslim Biologists/Scientists argue against Evolution. I've read one or two articles online but they seem to contain many errors and are not very convincing. Are there any books written by scientists, or are they all written by Islamic scholars?

Wasalam alikom

strive-may-i

:salam2:

Two groups,

>> No creator, The universe and Life forms on earth formed on its own...
>> There is a creator, and he created universe and life forms on earth too are his creations...

The "No Creator" group try and use "evolution" to prove their point
The "Creator exists" group has various opinions in "evolution"

Here is something I found ... http://www.grouporigin.com/clients/qatarfoundation/chapter2_6.htm
From: http://www.grouporigin.com/clients/qatarfoundation/chapter2_6.htm
Natural selection and evolution

Al Jahiz formulated an early theory of natural selection based on observing animals like the tiny mosquito

Perhaps some of the most prescient breakthroughs in early Arab-Muslim science were the theories of the Iraqi thinker and writer Al Jahiz, considered the father of modern evolutionary theory. Though his data were more limited and his theory less well defined than Darwin's, considering that he was working more than 1,000 years before Darwin should win him extra recognition.

He is said to have come to the House of Wisdom in 816 during the rule of Al Mamun, and won a post there, where he remained for 50 years. Although he was accomplished in poetry, philology, philosophy, and literature, it was in biology and zoology that he made his most powerful mark.

Al Jahiz's work The Book of Animals seems to have been the first documented attempt to explain the evolution of species as impacted by their environment and the struggle for survival. Key passages from the book included his observations on natural selection of species:

"Animals engage in a struggle for existence: for resources, to avoid being eaten, and to breed. Environmental factors influence organisms to develop new characteristics to ensure survival, thus transforming into new species. Animals that survive to breed can pass on their successful characteristics to offspring."

He seems to have given us the most detailed early description of food chains in nature:

"The mosquitoes go out to look for their food, as they know instinctively that blood is the thing which makes them live. As soon as they see the elephant, hippopotamus, or any other animal, they know that the skin has been fashioned to serve them as food... all animals, in short, cannot exist without food, neither can the hunting animal escape being hunted in his turn."

He also gave an early theory of environmental determinism:

"It is so unusual that its gazelles and ostriches, its insects and flies, its foxes, sheep and asses, its horses and its birds are all black. Blackness and whiteness are in fact caused by the properties of the region, as well as by the God-given nature of water and soil and by the proximity or remoteness of the sun and the intensity or mildness of its heat."

Although the first, Al Jahiz was not the last Arab or Muslim to look at natural selection. Ibn Al Haytham wrote a book in which he argued for evolutionism (although not natural selection), and other Muslim thinkers such as Ibn Miskawayh, the Brethren of Purity, Al Khazini, Abu Rayhan Al-Biruni, Nasir Al Din Tusi and Ibn Khaldun, discussed these ideas. Translated into Latin, these works filtered into Europe and could have had an influence on Darwinism.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Salam alikom,

I'd like to read about how Muslim Biologists/Scientists argue against Evolution. I've read one or two articles online but they seem to contain many errors and are not very convincing. Are there any books written by scientists, or are they all written by Islamic scholars?

Wasalam alikom

:wasalam:

If you are looking for only muslim scientists then http://harunyahya.com/ I think its Quite well. but beware don't follow him in other issues.

[yt]WlqA5eQcvX4[/yt]

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Brother, you are asking for a scientific explanation for a theory which some people believe to be "true". For matters of religion, I don't ask for evidence that I can see or touch, rather I ask from Qur'an and Sunnah. For matters of science, I seek compulsive evidence that could support the theory. Creation is something which is of best interest to both science and Religion. You have understand and realize that though science has made great achievements which I appreciate, at basic and fundamental level, there are some things incomplete. There are still basics to be explored more. The doors to basic of sciences are not shut. You should realize, science has done very little with respect to fundamentals. Sometimes, I wonder if it is even possible to shut that door.. or are we going to search for more fundamentals as there comes things which challenge our previous existing fundamentals. If you contemplate, everything in science has a premise and a domain. For example, decades ago we had only newtonian mechanics which explained the physics of things with considerable mass. However, the theory failed to explain something that did not have considerable mass, then we needed the Quantum mechanics. Another example is laminar flow theory, it explained all classical flows. However, when it came to non-newtonian fluids or turbulent stochastic flows, we needed another theory. Scientists are still in search for the "Theory of Everything". If there is some phenomena, that Newtonian mechanics or Quantum mechanics doesn't explain, then scientists will come up with another theory. I am not only questioning the evidences for the evolution, but the scientific process used for the theory itself. Is the theory based on evidences which can only perceived by human minds, seen by eyes and touched by hands infallible. Is the scientific approach validated? Of course, you cannot use science to validate scientific approach. We still use scientific approach because it has worked in most aspects of engineering and development. But, does it always work for the reasons scientist tell us? Do we know completely about what already works? Then why do some things that man invented fails in some situation? If we already knew it would fail, will we allow that? Most unexplained phenomenon, scientist try to find explanation by experiments, or in case of evolutionary biology, by evidence that remains on the subsurfaces of the earth. So, Darwin set out in search of answers to these deep questions. He found evidences, put them all together and found a theory that would connect it all. He convinced himself. But, does that convince everybody or is it the ultimate truth? How is Darwin going to account for the evidences that might have been lost due to natural calamities? What if the evidences that have been destroyed are greater than evidences we have? What if there might be an alternative mechanism if we had all those evidences which were destroyed? Are we making a mistake by using the same approach for questions that Allah alone knows the answers or by using it for the questions that Qur'an already answers? Are we overestimating the capability of our brain? Remember, I am not debunking or criticizing the scientific approach here. By posing these rhetorical question, I am trying to help you think beyond the world of science. Beyond its domains. We all love certainty. Who offers us certainty? Darwin or Allah? Certainty lies in knowledge of Qur'an and narrations and with taqwa of Allah. To believe Qur'an - the speech of Allah, gives me certainty. The methodology or the approach of the Salaf gives me certainty. I appreciate the knowledge I am given for it increases my taqwa and I remain patient upon the questions for which Allah only know the answers.

Please do not consider me as a anti-science person or ignorant religious person because of my views above. Religious person does not necessarily mean ignorant. It is a big misconception.

Regarding evolution, I advice my brothers and sisters, to read the attached booklet of 39 pages by Dr. Saleh-us Saleh. He is not a scientist, but his reasoning is good. He doesn't blame the evidence or bash it, it is a call to contemplate on the process used to validate evolution. The flaws we tend to overlook in the process. The benefit of doubt we give to evolution because some tend to think leap of faith is inferior and science is superior.

This booklet a) Examines the basics of the theory and the evidence supporting them. It also defines the boundaries or the domain as i called before, within which this theory developed

b) Provide the essential facts that disapprove the validity of the theory's assumptions.

c) Discuss the influence of the theory on the life of this world

d) Relate man to his Creator and hence to the purpose of our Creation

You will find that believing in evolution is indeed a leaf of faith than a scientific fact. We take the leap of faith only for Islam but ofcourse with Qur'an and Sunnah.

This reply might be short but I have put a lot of thinking (though limited) into it. If there are any flaws in my views, please forgive me. I hope you succeed in your search.

Allahu Akbar.

May Allah Guide us All.

Attachments

• 7307056-Darwin.pdf
    490.3 KB · Views: 13