Arabic Reading and Writing for Beginners

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

There's a course at Dr Bilal Philip's Islamic Online University called "Arabic Reading and Writing for Beginners."

http://www.islamiconlineuniversity.com/opencampus/course/view.php?id=20

There are text notes as well as audio clippings which pretty thoroughly cover the Arabic language for beginners - so if any new muslim/revert is willing to learn, it will be a good place to start. They have homework assignments which the student will need to submit in, such as Reading assignments (record your voice using Audacity), Writing and Dictation assignments.

Even I've started doing this short term course since my Arabic writing and tajweed needs a bit of work. (And I learnt my childhood Quran teacher wasn't too particular about the stringent rules of Tajweed).

After this course, there's another one in the next level which teaches Arabic Grammar for Beginners.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaahi.

Maashaa'Allaah, sounds great! Do you know which book they use?

(And I learnt my childhood Quran teacher wasn't too particular about the stringent rules of Tajweed).

Subhaanallaah! mine, too.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Sister, as far as I know, the notes and audio are all based on real classes which were taught by Dr. Bilal Philips from a few years ago. It's quite a good experience actually, because in the audio so far, it sounds like I'm listening and taking part in a real live classroom, because you can hear the teacher talking, writing on the board, and students sitting there practicing saying the words and asking questions. Just since we can't see what the teacher is doing, we have notes to follow along which are pretty thorough.

And then we have dictation tests where the teacher says "okay, write the first word... second word..." and then we have to write it down and either scan it in (or I'm just taking a photo with my phone and uploading it in).

The format of teaching is very different and effective. They first didn't start with the alphabet making everyone cram the alif, baa, taa... etc. They directly started by four letters (Daal, raa, noon, seen) and how to say them, then brought in alif, then waaw, yaa, and when all the combinations could be made, then they're bringing in fathah, dammah and kasrah. And so on and so forth... until everyone can master reading and writing and dictation of these much.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
:wasalam:

I was asking which text book he was teaching off from, like some teachers here always use Al-`Arabiyyaah bayna yadayk for their classes, which really shouldn't be for beginners, but khayr inshaa'Allaah. I'll definitely recommend this to a friend of mine as she's been looking for a class like this.
The format of teaching is very different and effective. They first didn't start with the alphabet making everyone cram the alif, baa, taa... etc. They directly started by four letters (Daal, raa, noon, seen) and how to say them, then brought in alif, then waaw, yaa, and when all the combinations could be made, then they're bringing in fathah, dammah and kasrah. And so on and so forth... until everyone can master reading and writing and dictation of these much.

Yes maashaa'Allaah, this approach is pretty different to the way it's normally taught. Looks a lot easier, too. Wish I'd known of this before attending the madaaris I did. =)

AyeshaPS

A Mu'minah Wannabe!
JazakAllahu Khairan Ukthi Tabassum7 for such an amazing share MashaAllah! I've joined the site already! I do have a question though, once we have joined a certain course do we necessarily have to visit the site everyday or can we log in and complete the tests etc whenever we want?

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Gotcha.
Btw, the sister asked if it's free and I said yes. It is free right?

The Diploma courses are all free, BAIS too is mainly free they just have lil fee for exams.

I remember my friend who is studying there in BAIS said they teach Madinah books after teaching some supplementary topics from elsewhere, but I am not sure, need to reconfirm.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

AyeshaPKS - No sis, not everyday. You can do it at your own pace. They only unenroll you from the course if you don't login for 3 months! But even then, if you can back and enroll in again, you don't lose any of your tests/quizzes or any progress you've made.

I've actually been a Diploma student (where this course is from) since 2010. And I slooooowly keep doing the courses (I'm on my fourth course now). I do wish they actually had deadlines, because I could pace myself more that way.

Janaan - Yes. There are two options on the Islamic Online University. One is the *free* Diploma in Islamic Studies. It consists of 24 courses, all free. This course I linked to is from the diploma.

The other option is the Bachelor of Arts in Islamic Studies - This one has a little fee, but definitely not as expensive as if you went to a real university. Here, the course is much more rigorous, and you actually have to visit an authorized examination center near you to take their exams and tests. It's also an official recognized degree in UK and some other countries, I hear.

jack-watson

Few months ago a friend of mine asked me that he was going to Arab country.But he didn't know about their language, culture tradition,etc. Then i recommend him to Learn Arabic or have a tutor who will teach him Arab.Now he was in Arab and he know each and everything about Arab language.

Epicmen

A month ago, I was ill for two weeks and did not attend university. As a result, I missed a lot and lagged behind the educational process. In order to somehow catch up, I was given a lot of written assignments. I couldn't deal with this on my own. My classmate advised me to visit my website where authors with academic education write assignments of any complexity for money and in a short time. It's good that such writing services exist.