Balancing Fear with Hope

allah rakkah lav

i love allah alone
Balancing Fear with Hope

Imam Ibn ul Qayyim al Jawziyyah---

The heart in its journey towards Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, is like a bird whose head is love, and hope and fear are its two wings. When the head and the two wings are sound and healthy the flight of the bird is good, but when the head is cut off, it immediately dies, and when either or both wings are deficient, the bird cannot properly fly and may become victim of any hunter or snare. The righteous predecessors preferred to strengthen the wing of fear during good times when heedlessness is feared, and to strengthen the wing of hope at times of calamity and when near death.

Some have said that it is better to strengthen fear more than hope because when vain hopes overcome a person he is ruined. Others say that the best of situations is a complete balance of hope and fear with overwhelming love, for love is composite,while hope is a sharpener and fear a driver.

rightpath_357

Asalamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters :)

Actually, I was going to ask the same question as brother Azmathmoosa. I realize that Islam says that moderation is the right way to do things, so we should be at a level of moderation with hope and fear. But that's where the test comes in. I'm not sure whether it's just human nature or my nature to somewhat fall into extremes, but moderation for me is really hard to keep. Sister, what you said at the end of your post ( hope at times of calamity and fear - of heedlessness- at times of ease) really helped me, so JazakAllah Khayran for that. I was wondering though, does ANYONE have any tips on how to moderate our feelings of hope and fear? JazakAllah Khayran!

Salam :D