Black Churches & White Churches

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters!

I have noticed on some TV programs and on youtube that attendants at the American (USA) churches are either black or white.

My question is, are the churches in America divided along the lines of ethnicity (or colour) in addition to denomination differences or is it that people of certain backgrounds are in majority in certain areas and therefore, it is reflected in the church attendances?

I hope I made sense.

kayleigh

"the most segregated hour of Christian America is eleven o'clock on Sunday morning" is still true. There's some exceptions but in general yes churches are still segregated. Not just black and white either. Different churches for different nationalities. Italians go to one church and Irish go to another, etc. Even if they live in the same neighborhood.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

There is no longer a legislative segregation of races in churches; however, many denominations had a history of segregation and have continued the tradition. The United Pentecostal Church was originally for all intents and purposes a segregated denomination. The Church of Jesus Christ was a African American denomination that held the same theology as The United Pentecostal Church. The Church of Jesus Christ was often considered by many to be the "black sister church" of The United Pentecostal. This division by race still continues in many denominations.

Also, just as outsiders see The Nation of Islam as being the African American Islam; the same is the case of churches teaching Christianity and Racial Nationalism. This theology nearly cost President Obama the election when the media turned the spotlight on the pastor of the church which President Obama and his family attended.

Although it is anathema to make racial remarks in public and practically economic suicide for public figures to even suggested that their is a diversity between races, even educated Americans use words that carry a subliminal racial message. And, some Scholars have pointed out that educate people will often change their syntax based on the race of which the person to whom they are speaking is of a different race then themselves.

When I was a preacher I was occasionally invited to preach at one of the "Black Churches." I enjoy the free style worship of Pentecostal Churches which was greatly influenced by Native African Religions. I have also witnessed personally entire churches that were normally very friendly to visitors become very distancing to Black Families who visited these churches.

However, in all fairness,apparent racial segregation within many churches is simply a byproduct of the surrounding neighborhood. Neighborhoods are still often segregate by economic factors and Nation Heritage so consequently the neighborhood church often reflects that segregation without holding racist views.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It is important to note the role of the Church in Black History. When Muslim slaves were not allowed to practice their faith they attended the masters church on Sundays. It was the only day for community service. The church ran as does a masjid. It was the center for all social affairs. It became the trusted heart and soul of the slaves. The tradition has filtered to today's Black churches.

The American tradition has always been segregation. As has been pointed out in previous replies immigrants congregate with similar immigrants. It is just a comfort factor.

Church services are rich with tradition. Many are embedded in culture. Those little idiosyncratic specific to one culture. People just enjoy them.

In the USA we have the same thing occuring at the masjids. Some places they burn incense, some places women have to enter from some out of the way enterance only known to the custodian, some places women have a partition, other places women have the basement. Some masjids etc. etc. etc.You have Pakistani masjids, Arab masjids etc. etc. etc.