Body piercing

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I need help on the definitive answer to body piercing for women. I read the fatawas on Islam Q&A. That was a little ambiguous.
In essence it is saying ears and nose. Some are saying if it is a norm in your culture and not the imitation of the kufir you can pierce other parts i.e. naval and tongue and lips if the body is not exposed while having the piercing.

I need something very explicit.

Do not laugh. Yes, I am in great need of information from the scholars of Islam. I promised some beautiful young Muslims girls I would find the answers by tomorrow.

JenGiove

Assalaam walaikum,

I need help on the definitive answer to body piercing for women. I read the fatawas on Islam Q&A. That was a little ambiguous.
In essence it is saying ears and nose. Some are saying if it is a norm in your culture and not the imitation of the kufir you can pierce other parts i.e. naval and tongue and lips if the body is not exposed while having the piercing.

I need something very explicit.

Do not laugh. Yes, I am in great need of information from the scholars of Islam. I promised some beautiful young Muslims girls I would find the answers by tomorrow.

Is this what you were looking for?

[FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"]Q 4: is it permissible for a woman to pierce her nose and wear a ring in it? Is it permissible to use the "Shudhar"? "Shudhar" is a substance that is to be rubbed on hands after using henna in order to make the henna color black. is it permissible to use black dye on the hands, which is called Duge?
A: This question includes three points:
1- Putting rings in the nose. It is permissible to put rings in the nose, because piercing the nose is made for beautification purposes, not for harming or altering the creation of Allah.
2- Rubbing Shudhar on hands after using henna in order to make the henna color black. The Sunnah indicates that it is permissible for women to dye their hands with henna, and scholars stated that it is Mustahab (desirable), and that not doing it is Makruh (reprehensible). There is no harm in adding “Shudhar” to it.
3- Based on what is mentioned above, the ruling of using the black dye, called Duge, is permissible. However, if the Duge is impermeable, it is obligatory to remove it before Ghusl (ritual bath following major ritual impurity) taken after Janabah (major ritual impurity related to sexual discharge), menstruation and postpartum period, and before Wudu' (ablution). May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!
Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Thanks,

I need more on the permission of navel piercing. Lip piercings and around the eyes. Is is halaal to have your tongue pierced?

The fatawas suggest if it is a cultural norm and not imitation of the kuffir then it is ok as long as you do not expose your body while you are having the piercing done.

I need something solid to present. This is for a group of teenagers.

JenGiove

Assalaam walaikum,

Thanks,

I need more on the permission of navel piercing. Lip piercings and around the eyes. Is is halaal to have your tongue pierced?

The fatawas suggest if it is a cultural norm and not imitation of the kuffir then it is ok as long as you do not expose your body while you are having the piercing done.

Peace with you,

Personally, I don't find tonge piercing attractive or necessary...(shivers). The naval falls within the realms of awrah am I correct that needs to remain covered? By that alone I would THINK it is not allowed but, alas, "thinking" and personal opinion aren't what's needed here. I was able to find this about the ears tho...in an odd place! lol!

[FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"][SIZE=2"]
The second question of Fatwa no. 9216

Q: What is the ruling on female circumcision? Is it permissible to pierce women's ears or Makruh (reprehensible), and if it is Makruh, is that to give a warning or to forbid it?

A: All Praise be to Allah Alone and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger, his family and Companions.
Circumcision is regarded as an honor for women. As to piercing the ear of women, there is no harm in doing it due to their need to dress up and wear earrings.
May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions! [/size][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"][SIZE=2"]Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta' [/size][/SIZE][/FONT]

JenGiove

I just found this and thought it was 1) interesting and 2) might help explain the "imitating the kaffir in dress and customs" problem/discussion.

[FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"]The first and second questions of Fatwa no. 4566
Q1 and 2: What is the forbidden imitation? Does it refer to actions that are specific to the Kafirs (disbelievers) or to those that are widespread and done by both Muslims and Kafirs, even though they originated in non-Muslim lands, such as wearing suits and pants? If a Muslim of upright character does this, are they considered as just a Fasiq (someone openly and flagrantly violating Islamic law), if their uprightness

does not also change in imitation? What is the ruling on wearing suits, the way it is done now by most Muslims and Kafirs? Is this imitation of the Kafirs - if in fact it is imitating them - to the level of being Haram (forbidden) or Makruh (reprehensible)? If pants show the shape of the `Awrah (parts of the body that must be covered in public), is this an additional Makruh that takes it to the level of being Haram or just disapproved of? Which part of the `Awrah is referred to when talking about it being shown by the pants, is it the private parts, the thighs, or both? If we wear loose trousers to avoid showing the `Awrah - both the private parts and thighs - is this also Makruh? What is the ruling on wearing tight or completely fitted pants that show all the lines of the body?

A: What is meant by the forbidden imitation of Kafirs is resembling them in customs that are exclusively theirs or in what they have innovated in the Din (religion) in terms of beliefs and acts of worship, such as imitating them by shaving the beard and wearing belts; celebrating the festivals and holidays that they have adopted; exceeding the proper bounds in regard to righteous people by seeking their help, circumambulating their graves, and slaughtering animals for them; ringing bells; wearing crosses around the neck, putting them up in houses, or having a cross tattooed on the arm to glorify it; and believing in the Christian `Aqidah (creed). The ruling on these imitations differ, as it could be equal to Kufr (disbelief), if it involves imitating them by seeking help from the occupants of graves, seeking blessings from a cross,

and taking it as a symbol. It could just be to the level of Haram, if it involves imitating them by shaving the beard and congratulating them on their feasts, although taking this type of imitation lightly could lead to Kufr - and we seek refuge in Allah from that!
With regard to wearing pants, suits, and so on, a Fatwa has been issued by the Permanent Committee; its text is as follows: The basic principle regarding clothing is that all types of clothing are permissible, because this is a matter related to customs. Allah (Exalted be He) says:
MEDIA-B1.GIF
Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم): "Who has forbidden the adornment with clothes given by Allâh, which He has produced for His slaves, and At-Taiyyibât [all kinds of Halâl (lawful) things] of food?"​
MEDIA-B2.GIF
An exception is made when there is Shar`y (Islamic legal) evidence that something is Haram or Makruh, such as silk for men or clothing that shows the `Awrah, because it is thin and the color of the skin can be seen under it, or because it is tight and in this way shows the shape of the `Awrah, and showing it is not permissible. Similarly, clothing that is worn exclusively by the Kafirs is not permitted for men or for women, because the Prophet (peace be upon him) forbade imitating them. Also, it is not permitted for men to wear women's clothing or women to wear men's clothing, because the Prophet (peace be upon him) forbade men from imitating women and women from imitating men. Wearing what are called shirts and pants is not exclusive to the Kafirs, they are worn by both Muslims and Kafirs in many countries. However, some people do not like to wear such things in some countries, because they are not used to them and it is contrary to their customary dress, even though they are customary among other Muslims. But if a Muslim is in a country where the people are not accustomed to their clothing, it is better for them

not to wear it when praying, in public gatherings, or in the street.
May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!
Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta' [/SIZE][/FONT]

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

I am shocked. How can naval piercing, lip piercing, eyebrow piercing ever be halaal? It just goes so much against the fitrah..

Aapa, I found this:

Is it permissible for a female to have various body piercing around the body including private parts ? What is the ruling if these piercing were before becoming Muslim ?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

There is nothing wrong with a woman – whose parents previously did some piercings on her body or who did that to herself when she was an adult, before she became Muslim or after she became Muslim – using these piercings to wear some adornments of gold or silver or otherwise, but that is restricted to two important conditions:

That she should not show this adornment to any non-mahrams and should show it only to her husband or mahrams if it is in places where it is permissible for them to see it, such as the ear and nose for example.

That her wearing adornment in these places should not be an imitation of the kuffaar or of evildoers and immoral people. If wearing adornment in the belly button is a prevalent custom in some society among women, then there is nothing wrong with using this kind of adornment. But if it is only known among immoral women, evildoers and kuffaar, then it is not permissible to adopt this custom because that is imitating them, and imitating evildoers is not allowed.

Secondly:

With regard to the ruling on doing body piercing, i.e., piercing various parts of the body in order to wear adornments, the ruling on this action is subject to further discussion:

If having the piercing done involves uncovering the ‘awrah and having a stranger or non-mahram, male or female, look at it, then this is undoubtedly a haraam action. The evil of uncovering the ‘awrah is greater than any benefit in wearing adornments, because uncovering the ‘awrah is one of the things that are definitively forbidden in our religion. And what uncovering it leads to of uncovering the ‘awrah and transgressing human dignity and the temptation to commit sin is much more serious than achieving the purpose of adornment which may be achieved by simply wearing earrings, for example.

If the piercing will have an adverse effect on one’s health, whether immediately or in the future, then it is haraam and it is not permissible to do it on any part of the body. We have already explained on our website some of the negative effects that result from wearing piercings in the lip or tongue. See the answer to question no. 107196.

Moreover, if the piercing of a specific part of the body is a custom among kaafirs, evildoers, promiscuous people and sinners, it is not permissible to imitate them. The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4031; classed as hasan by al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari, 10/282.

It is also haraam for a man to have piercings on any part of his body, because that is imitating women. It was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) cursed effeminate men and women who imitate men and he said: “Expel them from your houses.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5885. Ibn ‘Aabideen (may Allah have mercy on him) said: Piercing the ear in order to wear earrings is part of the adornment of women and it is not permissible for males. End quote from Radd al-Muhtaar, 6/420

If the piercing is free of all the reservations mentioned above, then the ruling is that it is permissible in any part of the body, if adorning that part is a well known custom in that society, because the basic principle is that it is permissible for women to adorn themselves, and there is some evidence to indicate that it is permissible to pierce the ears of a little girl to put earrings, and by analogy it is permissible to pierce other parts so long as they do not include the reservations mentioned above. Moreover, the Hanafi and Hanbali fuqaha’ stated that some kinds of piercing for the purpose of adornment are permissible.

It says in Radd al-Muhtaar (6/420), quoting from some books:

If it – meaning the ring in the nose – is something with which women adorn themselves, as is the case in some countries, then it is like piercing the ears – i.e., in terms of it being permissible. And the Shaafa‘is stated that it is permissible. End quote.

See also the answer to questions no. 78255 and 103996

And Allah knows best.

And this:

Is It possible for a woman to use the Tongue piercing ?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for a woman to pierce her ears even though that involves pain, for the purpose of wearing earrings, because Allaah has permitted women to adorn themselves with gold and silver and other kinds of jewellery, and women customarily wear earrings.

As for piercing the tongue in order to wear jewellery in it, this is something that is strange and off-putting to those of sound taste. Some kaafir and immoral women are well known for that in the west, and it is one of the causes for the spread of cancer of the tongue, gum disease and loss of teeth among those women, so it is not permissible to do it.

A study undertaken by researchers in Spain has shown that some people have resorted to piercing their tongues or other inner parts of their mouths in order to wear jewellery or studs, and this may lead to health complications affecting the mouth and teeth.

The researchers, from a University in Spain undertook a study of ninety-eight cases where the tongue or some inner part of the mouth was pierced, with the aim of evaluating the health complications that resulted from piercing these tissues.

The results of the study that were published in the Journal of Adolescent Health in November of this year indicate that in 23.5 percent of all cases there was wearing away of gum tissue around the teeth, especially in the eyeteeth of the lower jaw.

It also showed that 13.3 percent of cases suffered from tooth decay. The researchers pointed out that it is essential to warn people of the consequences of piercing any part of the mouth for the purpose of wearing studs, before they go ahead with that.

The American Association of Dental Health Workers also warn people of the consequences of having piercings done in different parts of the mouth, such as the tongue and lips, which may lead to loss of teeth because of the wearing away of gum tissue. In addition to that, piercing the tongue may, according to their report, lead to nerve loss in the affected area, and may even lead in some cases to stroke and blood infections.

We asked a well known university professor in oral surgery and dentistry, and he told us that he has seen that in Germany, where some immoral girls do that, and he said that this is one of the causes of cancer.

As it is proven that this action is harmful and causes these diseases, it is not permissible to do it, because Allaah has forbidden a person to do anything by means of which he harms himself.

And Allaah knows best.

EDIT: Oh, I just realized you've probably already read these, Aapa. But I think it'll be tough to find something more detailed than this. They say tongue piercing is completely not allowed. Please ask these beautiful young muslim girls whether their relatives and parents from the same ethnicity have those body parts pierced. I'm betting the answer would be no, so it should just be no for them too. Right?

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalaam walaikum,

Thanks,

Do whatever you can to talk them OUT of a tongue piercing, PLEASE!

I had a tongue piercing for 6 years, and the constant rubbing from the bottom ball on the gum tissue will cause it to recede very low. And the only way to fix this is an expensive surgery.

It also has cracked several of my teeth.

They dont tell you all that when they're taking your money and sticking a needle in your tongue :/

strive-may-i

Beauty or Mutilation, heatlh risk and need to expose the piercing

:wasalam:

I dont recollect a hadis which says absolute no, but there is a fine line here too and to understand the motive behind wanting a Piercing. The main motive behind it is either attract others or it makes one feel more beautiful about oneself. There are health risks too that come with piercing even damage ( Risk of infection, bust nerves case, denture spoilt, piercing by a yet-to-be-expert, a gal died in car accident because piercing hooked, healing hold and scar it leaves.).

Here is the Hadees/Quran warns about mutilating the body... and How close Iblees influences it..
1) Abd-Allaah ibn Masood said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) say: "Allaah has CURSED the woman who does tattoos and the one who has them done, the woman who plucks eyebrows and the one who has it done, and the one who files her teeth for the purpose of beauty, altering the creation of Allaah."
(Bukhaari, Muslim)
2) Removing or plucking the eyebrows implies changing the creation of Allaah, as Allaah tells us that the Shaytaan said: .....and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah.." [al-Nisa:119]

Unlike the ears, (accepted as permissible) nose piercing has a positive opinion and a negative opinion. I am told in India for Example Sunni house holds do not nose pierce while Hanafi households do.

Tongue piercing is popularly done for one sole reason, am told (the obvious!). The prime motive of tongue piercing is really full of fitna for one who is unmarried. It has risks to health, because the stud there does not fit natural design! (In my opinion). I have wondered whether It affects speech for some, possibly yes. Should impact denture in some way, due to prolonged use, am sure. It might be interesting to know the languages whose pronunciation is impacted by a tongue barbell. How about Quran recitation? Does some one have something conclusive?

.And how difficult it is taking bath for one with pierced navel? Does it need extra care. how about infection and the pierced parts healing and creating a scar behind? Offcourse navel in not exposed. but what good for a young girl not married?? [Just my questions to help understand it better...]

Navel, tongue, lower lip, eyebrow piercing, is now a fad among the youth, but as they grow older, it fades away. Its definitely fun and in thing to do for a teenager, but in long run how would it be seen? It might be sheer peer pressure forcing the teen/ young one to go for it. Would the same peer pressure force and influence other aspects of deen too? As one grows older, might dislike the piercing and perceive it as stupid act. Piercing - has love hate responses , it changes from person to person from time to time. Some prefer it all natural, the way Almighty made us. What if the future Husband of the gal does not like the piercing and sees it as a mutilation? Worse, if Guy she later is to marry is insecure...

Usually in most communities (in general)/ job interviews, one with eye piercing, tongue piercing, lower lip piercing are not seen positively in many countries, am sure you are aware of that. Strongly applies to Muslim community also(Imitation of non-muslim).

Jewelry turns ugly we all know, the same with time would happen to piercing too.. Post 9 below speaks about the other organs thats in thing too, and its more worrisome indeed!.

Hope all this helps. And as usual let us know how you approach them with answer

ShyHijabi

From a medical POV I would strongly recommend against tongue, eyebrow and genital piercing. Mouth piercings can cause substantial damage to the teeth and also the soft tissue. When I worked in dental insurance we had so many people needing repair on their teeth because of "clacking" them against their teeth.

Facial piercings around mucous membranes as well as genital piercings are a really bad idea. Mucous membranes are made of a cell that has rapid turnover. The more a cell turns over the more chance there is for mutations and thus cancer. When you pierce a mucous membrane it forces the area to try and continually heal, thus over stimulating the turnover of cells. Do you see where I am going here? As these piercings increase with popularity, so does cancer in these areas.

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
The ear and the nose are cartilage so its safer to pierce them. The lip and other body parts are actual tissues with vast amount of blood vessels, nerves and what not. Again as I mentioned in previous questions on piercing, if it's something that is not normal in the society and something considered abnormal by the most people than it's not appropriate and should keep away from it. Can you go get a job, go to a formal reception or take passport photo with those kinds of piercings? No, if it's not socially acceptable than it's not appropriate to have it. Also, piercing them can pose health complications and it is a form of self torture, as it's something you desire out of fashion but your body has a right over you in Islam and you can't harm it.

The Scholars have agreed that nose and ear piercing is something that is acceptable as that is norm in most societies as a means of beautifying one's self. As for other forms of body piercing, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen (may Allaah preserve him), who says:

This is self-inflicted torture. This is not a place where adornments are usually worn, and there is no benefit in this practice. It comes under the heading of changing the creation of Allaah. And Allaah knows best.

http://www.formspring.me/dawaah/q/157564309977734486

septithol

Banned

From a medical POV I would strongly recommend against tongue, eyebrow and genital piercing. Mouth piercings can cause substantial damage to the teeth and also the soft tissue. When I worked in dental insurance we had so many people needing repair on their teeth because of "clacking" them against their teeth.

Facial piercings around mucous membranes as well as genital piercings are a really bad idea. Mucous membranes are made of a cell that has rapid turnover. The more a cell turns over the more chance there is for mutations and thus cancer. When you pierce a mucous membrane it forces the area to try and continually heal, thus over stimulating the turnover of cells. Do you see where I am going here? As these piercings increase with popularity, so does cancer in these areas.

I agree very strongly with Shyhijabi, it isn't a good idea for medical reasons. I also think it's rather silly. I wouldn't forcibly stop anyone from doing it, but I would tell them the reasons why it is a bad idea. Besides there is much jewelry that can be worn without peircing the body.

I have seen BABIES with peirced ears (obviously gotten for them by their parents). This I especially disagree with, a person may have the right to poke hole in or cut up their own body, they do not have the right to poke and cut other people's bodies. Also, babies being babies, are not so careful as adults, and are likely to get the earring caught in something, or if it falls out, might put it in their mouths and choke on it.

JenGiove

I have seen BABIES with peirced ears (obviously gotten for them by their parents). This I especially disagree with, a person may have the right to poke hole in or cut up their own body, they do not have the right to poke and cut other people's bodies. Also, babies being babies, are not so careful as adults, and are likely to get the earring caught in something, or if it falls out, might put it in their mouths and choke on it.

That is like one of my BIGGEST pet-peeves....WHY people?! WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!

septithol

Banned

I once saw a man on the bus with something like about 50 facial peircings. He was also wearing a knitted, turtleneck sweater.... now picture what must happen whenever he takes the sweater on or off.... :-O

Keen4Deen

Do whatever you can to talk them OUT of a tongue piercing, PLEASE!

I had a tongue piercing for 6 years, and the constant rubbing from the bottom ball on the gum tissue will cause it to recede very low. And the only way to fix this is an expensive surgery.

It also has cracked several of my teeth.

They dont tell you all that when they're taking your money and sticking a needle in your tongue :/

Alhamdililah, I am glad you got rid of it sister. The majority of girls in the west that wear toungue rings are considered "very promiscuous". In general, girls do it to attract the guys.

If they aren't being noticed by the boys they will use every means to get attention. i don't mean to rant but wallahi I hate living in the western world i can't wait to finish school and run as fast as I can to the land of the muslims.

Everywhere you go you see women walking around naked. Have you seen those tiny shorts that they wear? THEY ARE NAKED! what is the point of wearing those shorts, you might as well walk outside completely without clothes, you'll be saving money. Subhanallah! O Allah! The Everliving! save us from these disbelieving people!

Isra

aka Tree2008

You ask WHY? Here is your answer:

Why Some Parents Pierce Their Babies' Ears

Piercing an infant's ears is not just a simple fashion trend. For many people in Western civilization, baby ear piercing is simply a fashion accessory to make adorable babies look even cuter. It is sometimes a family tradition or even holds sacred meaning to some cultures. In India, female and male Hindu infants get their ears pierced in a religious ceremony called Karnavedha. Some parts of Latin America also traditionally pierce infant's ears to honor God based on the Christian Bible scripture from Ezekiel 16:10-12.

I thought it might be a Christian thing because when I lived in Los Angeles I saw many babies of parents from Hispanic countries with pierced ears even before they were a year old!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asslaam walaikum,

There is much culture attached to this. Here in the US prior to the '70's most women did not get the ears pierced until they were married. It was an honor thing. Look at the antique earrings. They were clip ons.

We say Islam came as a strange thing...yes..because culture is so mixed up.

Thank you for your replies. I am sure I can talk my young Muslim flowers to death on this one. May Allah reward each and everyone of you.

Ashad Mehmood

Everywhere you go you see women walking around naked. Have you seen those tiny shorts that they wear? THEY ARE NAKED! what is the point of wearing those shorts, you might as well walk outside completely without clothes, you'll be saving money. Subhanallah! O Allah! The Everliving! save us from these disbelieving people!

it's sad how western women think that going around naked means freedom. It's kinda like this. The chickens are guarded from the wolves in a farm by dogs. The wolves can't go near the chickens because of the dogs so they told chickens that they are prisoners of the dogs and they should come out in order to achieve freedom.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Alhamdililah, I am glad you got rid of it sister. The majority of girls in the west that wear toungue rings are considered "very promiscuous". In general, girls do it to attract the guys.

If they aren't being noticed by the boys they will use every means to get attention. i don't mean to rant but wallahi I hate living in the western world i can't wait to finish school and run as fast as I can to the land of the muslims.

In my time of ignorance, I had 21 body piercings.
I took them out as a sign of submission to allah subhana wa ta ala. I also have a large tattoo but insha'Allah i will get it removed.

In my time of ignorance, I didnt really see the problem with how modern girls dress. I of course, dressed that way. (to my parents anguish)

And now...When i see a girl with a lot of facial piercings or a miniskirt i feel bad for her. Is she so attention starved that she wants this negative attention? She wants some gross pervert to oogle her and commit zina with her for 20 minutes and never see her again?

Islam is a lifeboat.
More women in the West need the REAL facts about Islam. Insha'Allah.

your-sister

The nose, I get..but, Navel.. And, Tongue piercing?! Yaa Allaah! What has the ummah come to?! I've yet to meet a "Muslim" sister with her tongue pierced...and I hope I never do. That's just, 1)Gross! And 2) self torture.
People here say "Pain" is the price of "beauty" but wallahi that's not true. Nothing beats Natural beauty. Must you have somewhere pierced in order to look attractive?

Yes, Aapa.. Please do whatever you can to talk them out this. It really isn't worth it!
You lot are talking bout the tongue, but even the Nose getting pierced can cause one harm. I've met quite a few sisters whose noses got infection from piecing it and putting those filthy metals in it.:/ oh and don't even mention the "PAIN" they constantly complained 'bout! I, myself once thought of getting the nose pierced... Phew! Now all I've got to say is, Alhamdulillaah..atleast I was sensible enough not to act on those darn thoughts.

Assalamu alaikum.

JenGiove

You ask WHY? Here is your answer:

Why Some Parents Pierce Their Babies' Ears

Piercing an infant's ears is not just a simple fashion trend. For many people in Western civilization, baby ear piercing is simply a fashion accessory to make adorable babies look even cuter. It is sometimes a family tradition or even holds sacred meaning to some cultures. In India, female and male Hindu infants get their ears pierced in a religious ceremony called Karnavedha. Some parts of Latin America also traditionally pierce infant's ears to honor God based on the Christian Bible scripture from Ezekiel 16:10-12.

I thought it might be a Christian thing because when I lived in Los Angeles I saw many babies of parents from Hispanic countries with pierced ears even before they were a year old!

:) You know how alot of people will take an ayat out of context and use it to "prove" something about Islam is vile or wrong? We've all experienced the lies told about Islam simply because an ayat is used without knowledge.

Yes, Ez 16:10-12 says that...but the previous verses need to be read too to place it into context.

"1The Lord spoke his word to me. He said, 2“Son of man, make known to the people of Jerusalem the disgusting things they have done. 3Tell them, ‘This is what the Almighty Lord says to the people of Jerusalem: Your birthplace and your ancestors were in the land of the Canaanites. Your father was an Amorite, and your mother was a Hittite. 4When you were born, your umbilical cord wasn’t cut. You weren’t washed with water to make you clean. You weren’t rubbed with salt or wrapped in cloth. 5No one who saw you felt sorry enough for you to do any of these things. But you were thrown into an open field. You were rejected when you were born. 6“ ‘Then I went by you and saw you kicking around in your own blood. I said to you, “Live.” 7I made you grow like a plant in the field. You grew up, matured, and became a young woman. Your breasts developed, and your hair grew. Yet, you were naked and bare.
8“ ‘I went by you again and looked at you. You were old enough to make love to. So I spread my robe over you, and covered your naked body. I promised to love you, and I exchanged marriage vows with you. You became mine, declares the Almighty Lord.
9“ ‘Then I bathed you with water, and I washed off your blood. I poured olive oil over you. 10I put an embroidered dress on you and fine leather sandals on your feet. I dressed you in fine linen and covered you with silk. 11I gave you jewelry. I put bracelets on your wrists and a necklace around your neck. 12I put a ring in your nose, earrings on your ears, and a beautiful crown on your head. 13So you wore gold and silver jewelry. You were dressed in fine linen, silk, and embroidered clothes. Your food was flour, honey, and olive oil. You were very beautiful, and eventually you became a queen. 14You became famous in every nation because of your beauty. Your beauty was perfect because I gave you my glory, declares the Almighty Lord."

.....stupidity of ignorance....(not you sister!).