Britain’s Muslims slam media for stoking Islamophobia

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Britain’s Muslims slam media for stoking Islamophobia

Source ::: AFP

LONDON • Muslims in Britain blamed the media yesterday for stoking Islamophobia and government policy for fostering radicalism after 24 men, most of them of Pakistani origin, were arrested over an alleged bomb plot.

Focus turned to Britain’s 1.65 million-strong Muslim population as worshippers arrived and left Friday prayers at mosques near where the men were arrested in pre-dawn raids for allegedly planning to blow up US-bound aircraft.

Most condemned killing and violence but also displayed scepticism of the official police and government line as the spotlight was once again cast on suspected hardline British Islamists.

Ajmal Masroor, the imam of a mosque opposite one of the addresses searched by police in Walthamstow, east London, said British and US foreign policy were pressing concerns for Muslims.

“I was quite categorical and clear about the Middle East crisis and I consider Bush and Blair’s foreign policy as part of the problem and not as a solution,” he told reporters after his sermon.

London and Washington’s foreign policy was if anything “fuelling the fire of discontent”, he said, echoing widespread views after the attacks on London’s public transport network on July 7 last year.

The suicide bombings, perpetrated by four young British Muslim extremists, killed 52 innocent commuters and injured more than 700, leading to serious questions about the causes of radicalisation and disaffection.

A government-commissioned working party, including many prominent Muslims, laid the blame largely at the door of British foreign policy, although Prime Minister Tony Blair has rejected such a conclusion.

Many ordinary worshippers echoed Masroor’s assertion that Islam does not allow violence or law-breaking “in any circumstances” but were increasingly concerned about the veil of suspicion hanging over the Muslim community.

Many cited a high-profile police raid against a suspected chemical weapons factory in Forest Gate, east London, on June 2 that saw nothing found and no charges brought against two Muslim brothers.

Others referred to Jean Charles de Menezes, the Brazilian electrician shot dead in London on July 22 last year by police who believed he was a suicide bomber.

One unnamed man in Walthamstow said: They have got it wrong twice, so why have they got it right now? I support what they do but, you know, if somebody is getting it wrong twice, why should I trust them?”

Another in Birmingham, west central England, claimed the timing of the raids was intended to deflect attention away from events in the Middle East.

Teacher Mohi Uddim, a Briton of Bangladeshi origin stood outside the vast East London Mosque, said that “Islamophobia is all over the place”, attacking the British media for dividing the community.

“They are are always against Muslim people... We keep portraying Muslims as terrorists and fundamentalists. But for me, terrorism is what Israel is doing in Lebanon, when a child is being blown up in a building,” he said.

“We Muslims are very charitable, peace-loving people. We care about humanity,” he added.

David Gould

Islamophobia

As a non Muslim I feel the bias of the press in the way in which it reports these events. After 7/7 we are always told that they are on the scent of these so-called fundamentalists. I draw a parrallel with another religion which I do know something of and would say that it is only a tiny proportion of believers that ever become infected by "super-religion" which transforms their whole way of thinking so that their rationality is affected. And of these only a tiny proprotion will ever take the final step of using violence to promote their views. (e.g. KKK in the States)
But like all things these get blown out of proportion.
The other aspect of all this is that the police are seen as an agency of he government. And this government has walked into three countries without being invited and without a mandate to do so from the people. They have sat back and done nothing about what is happening to Palastine and did not ask for an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon. In short we do not trust them. Nor any of their agents.
If trust is to come it has to come from the bottom up not imposed from the top. Most peace movements have started with the people and not as a result of road maps produced by jaded politicians on the way out.