Calling all reverts/converts to Islam

arzafar

:salam2:

My brothers and sisters in Islam i have come up with yet another seemingly useless thread. However, somehow i think the results of this 'survey thread' could be very intriguing. I'm sure you must be fed up by now after narrating your reversion story countless times. We already have a poll for converts but this is different. I would like to request all the converts on this forum (from all languages) to tell us why they reverted to Islam; not the whole story, just the actual immediate (or long term) reasons that brought you to Islam. [So "Allah guided me" is not an acceptable reason, i want to know how Allah guided you.]

Please answer the questions below as objectively as you can.

a) Name: voluntary
b) Country: must give
c) Gender: must give
d) Previous religious affiliation: must give
e) Year you reverted: must give
f) Reasons: must give (not more than 3)

Thank you for your time. :biggrin:

NOTES:
1. Please keep discussions to a minimumto keep the thread focused towards the survey.
2. InshAllah results/analysis will be posted after enough replies have been received. id probably use googledocs.

arzafar

Data

D0Le_aOo43_ujh3L1BK3aWut0bc-E9Yj-Kf8-7lYCVRZ3tKM4nmtMwWbVROrcyACJwygv_w_g7AhbmM9iCsxyVm0gQ=s512

JhGhKieJGuw-SCbPN3VBi1VBX5_Yvw_IH7w_mt0gdelV5Vjxcd66xvfceJD8I_Lf31l3I06HDiKMEJVwu_LA8XcSrQ=s512

-nROVI7r-ByZxtqT_-MsPC4NW4CjT8RyN2fWGYwi8WgeZOq3BgdeuY5Mc4mjtg8O0dLo_TXJB3Nq-oAwezGq1gm-mw=s512

yaaaay the word of Allah is supreme!
what the hell is bible doing over here? (ask bro Frank :D Allah guides whom He wills how He wills)
Clearly Quran, Tawhid (oneness of God) and rationality of Islam are leading the way in terms of attracting people to Islam. Muslims should emphasize on these three aspects.

i suppose i should have asked one more question; what were some of the misconceptions you had about Islam?

More stats to be posted soon InshAllah.

arzafar

Please quote/copy the following answer sheet/pattern in your response to make life easier for compiling results.

a)

b)

c)

d)

e)

Reasons

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

I use my real name here.

I am at least half as American as you can get. I am probably fourth or fifth generation American on the other half.

I am and always have been 100% heterosexual male.

Although I was the son of a Roman Catholic and Protestant and I myself was an ordained Pentecostal Minister, I have studied in addition to the Tanakh and the Brit Chadashah, to a greater or lesser extent The Tao Te Ching (Dao De Ching), The Vedas, The Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Avesta, some Buddhist and some Nordic Mythologies as well as some of the writings of The Mystery Schools.

I revert about two or three months ago.

Reasons:

Deut. 6:4-7

Matt 19:16-17

Matt 22:37-40

and to summarize

Al-Fatiha
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful (1)
Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, (2) The Beneficent, the Merciful. (3) Owner of the Day of Judgment, (4) Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help. (5) Show us the straight path, (6) The path of those whom Thou hast favoured. Not (the path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray. (7)

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
THE BEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE

:salam2:
-my original name is Sùndari,I was born in North Italy 25 years ago.I'm 100%Italian
-because of the job of my father I lived in Varese,Milano,Bergamo,Cremona,Massa Carrara,Pavia,Alessandria and now I live near Pavia again.
-I am a woman.
-I was baptised in a church and had hinduist initiation,so I belonged for a brief time to 2 different religions;I was catholic because in my school they might make me lots of questions about hinduism and I didn't know what answer them.but in private space I was hindu.
-I knew Islam in 2004,when I got engaged with a muslim boy,I remember the first time I opened the Quran I closed it nearly that moment:it seemed that it was talking to me and punishing me to have been a disbeliever,then I learnt that Allah forgives each sin,even Mushirk,if a person repents to Him.in 2005,in private I decided to become muslim,but I officially reverted in august 2006,I made the Chart that witnesses that I'm muslim.I reverted to Islam because,I was fashinated by the constant invisible presence of Allah,I found Him and He helped me to find myself.I took another Shahada in 2009 in the mosque near Rabat,in front of hundreds of brothers and sisters.it was the best moment of my life.:hijabi:

DanyalSAC

a) Name: Daniel. Spelled on TTI with Arabic letters “Danyal”
b) Country: Irish culturally but American born and raised
c) Gender: Male
d) Previous religious affiliation: Traditionalist Roman Catholic. (See Society of St Pius X etc)
e) Year you reverted: December 2008
f) Reasons:
1. The Qur’an’s clear proofs and signs
2. The Sirah of the Prophet peace and blessings upon him
3. The cool outfits. Ok kidding – Bottom line, nothing made more sense to me than Islam. It’s the only belief or “religion” on earth created by the One Who is worshipped by that religion.

Elise

a) Elise
b) Netherlands
c) female
d) none
e) Ramadan 2009
f) Reasons;
1) Always looked for a religion that felt right. I went through a lot of religions from the age of about twelve; the beliefs of the old Romans and Greeks, old Viking myths, Judaism, Christianity in a lot of its forms, Hinduism, and so on and so on... What I found in Islam fitted my character. Islam for one thing tallies with my sense for the need of modesty, along with other values that I have.
2) I read parts of the Qur'an at first and I liked what I read, so to say. Especially the undividableness (is that a word?) of God. One God, that's it. I first read it in al-Ikhlas, than I came across 3:64-65 (part of Al-i-'Imran). That's what really got me. So I then went to learn more.

love you all, wa salaam,
-Elise

newlight99

Assalamu alaikum w r w b

a.) John "Yahya"
b.) Born in Philippines, resides in America
c.) Male
d.) Baptised as Roman Catholic, family have all sorts of religion, became baptist later on.
e.) October 2006
f.) 1.) Jesus AS is not God nor the son of God (audhu billah!), He never claimed he was even in the Bible.
2.) Islam makes theological sense, it has rulings on different situations (i.e. Book of Nikah, Jihad, Market transactions are stacked volume by volume each)
3.) La ilaha ilallah! There is only one God!

Wasalam

Amina 1

a)Amina
b)usa
c) female
d) agnostic
e) 1999

1.I asked a muslim what they believed. As soon as I heard it I reckonized it as the truth
2.Quran
3.Too many signs to list:tti_sister::tti_sister::tti_sister:

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
jazak allaah khair. i love this thread. may peace and blessings of allaah be upon all of us, ameen. please continue this thread till the last day on earth by increasing the number of new converts!!wasalam.

arzafar

sister amina what kind of signs? could you please elaborate. (dreams, coincidences etc)

Sister elise, you say you had no religion. Did you believe in God or were you agnostic too?

aqeela01

a) Name: Aqeela
b) Country South Africa
c) Gender female
d) Previous religious affiliation:Anglican
]e) Year you reverted:2004
f) Reasons:
1. could not accept Jesus been God's son
2. felt no spiritual fulfillment
3.grew up surrounded by Islam so learning about it was not difficult

4mMadara2Amina

As Salam Alykom :)

a) Name: Amina
b) Country: Ordinary from Latvia, now living in Sweden
c) Gender: Female
d) Previous religious affiliation: Catholic
e) Year you reverted: 2009th November
f) Reasons:
1. Always have believed in God, but not Jesus as a God. When start to know Islam I found an answers I have been looking for since last 3 years before I became a Muslim.
2. Each time when ever I start to seek knowledge of Islam, I felt it is the right way am going to.
3. Wish to have one day same kind and same lovable as Muslims are to each other. Same- to have a feeling that I have biggest family ever as a blessing from ALLAH.

Hope it will help and my answers are not that long :hijabi:
:hearts::hearts::hearts:

An interesting tread actually.

Amina 1

Assalam Alaikum Wa Ramatullahi Wa Barackatku

Brother Arzafar may Allah bless you and grant you happiness in this life and Jannat firdous:hearts: I will list two things that happened to me

1) The brothers I asked what did a muslim believe worked in a convenient store. I reckonized the truth of what they said but it is hard to let go of what people have told you to believe your whole life. So for about a week I studied the bible then I went back to the store to argue. After about one hour of them answering all my questions with the Quran and I could answer none of thiers with my bible I set down the bible on the counter and said I want the Quran can you give me one? They said no because I was not a believer and not allowed to touch it . I needed to be clean first. So I went to ask questions to them every day after work I wanted to learn everything about this religon that I had never heard of before but was the truth. The second day I was there a homeless man I had never seen before walked in the store came to me and Handed me the Quran by Yusuf Ali. He asked me what was my name and then he turned to them behind the counter and asked for their names. Then he took the Quran back and signed the inside cover to Christine(my real name) and Ali with love in Christ. Ali started coming around the counter then the homeless guy said here this is for you welcome to America(I am a white female from America) Then he left and I never saw him again . Ali tryed to take the Quran away from me but I would not let him and I have not stopped reading it since.

2) I used to be a clown part time. I was coming back from a show and the airconditioner in my car was broke and it was like 3000 degrees outside and I was melting in my clown makeup and outfit . I was stopped a redlight and next to me was a median that had trees and pine straw there were some leaves all over the ground. I notice this Robin panting looking like it was going to die of thirst.I thought I was going to have a heat stroke but I was worried for the bird and did not know how to help it there was not water in sight. I felt like crying and I said Bismallah Arrahman Arraheem little bird. When I looked up at the bird again it was drinking water from the leaves on the ground all of them were filled with water.:tti_sister: SupanahAllah:tti_sister::tti_sister:

Elise

Sister elise, you say you had no religion. Did you believe in God or were you agnostic too?

I thought there was 'something'... very vague... I had no real concept of it. I always felt there was something like a higher power. Therefore always very interested in religion, like I said. I was searching what that 'higher power' was that I felt was there. I found it in Islam eventually :)
But yes, you could say I was an agnost. I thought there was something, but wasn't sure, so I neither confirmed nor denied it. I also share with agnosts the idea that religious experience (your inner feeling of God) cannot be proven or measured by modern science. In any case I was never an atheist. I was a 'weak agnost' as they call it: one who says they do not know whether there is a God. I wasn't sure, so to say. (In contrast with a 'strong agnost' who says it is impossible to know whether God exists) I believe that the very fact that we believe in God, proves He exists. (ok, getting very philosophical here :p won't get into details of that theory :SMILY149:)
Hope that clears it for you :)

wa salaam,
Elise

arzafar

I thought there was 'something'... very vague... I had no real concept of it. I always felt there was something like a higher power. Therefore always very interested in religion, like I said. I was searching what that 'higher power' was that I felt was there. I found it in Islam eventually :)
But yes, you could say I was an agnost. I thought there was something, but wasn't sure, so I neither confirmed nor denied it. I also share with agnosts the idea that religious experience (your inner feeling of God) cannot be proven or measured by modern science. In any case I was never an atheist. I was a 'weak agnost' as they call it: one who says they do not know whether there is a God. I wasn't sure, so to say. (In contrast with a 'strong agnost' who says it is impossible to know whether God exists) I believe that the very fact that we believe in God, proves He exists. (ok, getting very philosophical here :p won't get into details of that theory :SMILY149:)
Hope that clears it for you :)

wa salaam,
Elise

ok ill update it.

and that is the rationalist point of view. Cogito ergo sum, Descartes and the trademark argument.

Elise

ok ill update it.

and that is the rationalist point of view. Cogito ergo sum, Descartes and the trademark argument.

You're right :)
For the ones who don't know the trademark argument:
ince I am a thinking thing, and have in me an idea of God, whatever finally the cause may be to which my nature is attributed, it must necessarily be admitted that the cause must equally be a thinking thing, and possess within it the idea of all the perfections that I attribute to the divine nature.

=
1. I have an idea of God.
2. Everything which exists has a cause.
3. Therefore, there is a cause of my idea of God.

3. There is a cause of my idea of God.
4. The cause of an effect must contain at least as much reality as the effect.
5. Therefore, the cause of my idea of God must contain at least as much reality as my idea of God.

5. The cause of my idea of God must contain at least as much reality as my idea of God.
6. The idea of God contains perfection.
7. Therefore, the cause of my idea of God must contain perfection.

7. The cause of my idea of God must contain perfection.
8. No being which is not God contains perfection.
9. Therefore, no being which is not God could be the cause of my idea of God.

9. No being which is not God could be the cause of my idea of God.
10. There is a cause for my idea of God.
11. Therefore, the cause of my idea of God must not be a being which is not God.

11. The cause of my idea of God must not be a being which is not God.
12. A being is either God, or it is not God.
13. Therefore, the cause of my idea of God is God.

13. The cause of my idea of God is God.
14. If something is the cause of something else, that something exists.
15. Therefore, God exists.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to be clear, I don't agree with Descartes on his worldview however. Descartes was a deist.
His view of God was one of a giant clockmaker who set the world in motion according to rules the human mind could discover with proper reasoning. I do agree with him on the point that human reasoning can discover a lot of nature's laws, and I do believe that the world is made up with laws by which it keeps developing (see plant growth, movement of the heavens, etc.), but I don't believe that God after the Creation is forever absent from what he had created, as Descartes did believe (hence a deist). If God never minded his Creation again, there wouldn't have been prophets, for one thing, so I don't agree with that argument.