Calling others "Kaffir"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashima33

Salaam Everyone,

I have noticed something about our fellow muslim brothers and sisters in my day to day life and also here on TTI. Some are so quick to call this person and that person a "kaffir." I find this very offensive. The meaning of kaffir is "one who doesn't believe in God" and it comes from the word kafara, which means "to cover up, conceal, or deny." There are many out there who aren't muslim, yet still believe in God, therefore.... kaffir doesn't apply. And even if someone has not declared their beliefs clearly to us, we can not call them kaffir. Only God knows what is in a person's heart, and how would it look to God if we were calling someone kaffir who actually has immense faith? So, my opinion is to steer clear of the word.

shariqhitman

the word kafir means non-believers who don't believe in one ALLAH and its prophet MUHAMMAD saw other religion people do believe in god but their version of god is very different from ISLAM . some religion believe in multiple gods. other religion says god is one but they worship every other thing which they think is holy or is related to god.
ISLAM is the only religion which comes true on the concept of one GOD.

Ashima33

the word kafir means non-believers who don't believe in one ALLAH and its prophet MUHAMMAD saw other religion people do believe in god but their version of god is very different from ISLAM . some religion believe in multiple gods. other religion says god is one but they worship every other thing which they think is holy or is related to god.
ISLAM is the only religion which comes true on the concept of one GOD.

The definition of Kaffir doesn't say anything about Islam or this religion or that religion. the definition is very simple. "one who doesn't believe in God"

shariqhitman

kafir simply means one who is do not believe on one allah
one who belives in god but worships every other creation of allah like idols,or sun or its sent messengers is a kafir
ISLAM MEANS SUBMISSION,,,,TO ONE GOD

revert2007

Love Fishing
The definition of Kaffir doesn't say anything about Islam or this religion or that religion. the definition is very simple. "one who doesn't believe in God"
Assalamualikum.Who is God?Allah The Exalted is God.When they believe in Jesus pbuh or believe in statues obviously they do not believe in God.
God means The Creator of the universe,hell and paradise.Who is The CReator?Allah The Exalted is The Creator.

BUt again,I agree with you about the term "kafir".I personally do not like to use and will never like if someone call me a kafir if I haven't converted yet.

Play safe by using Non Muslims.My mom who is a Non Muslim knows what Kafir means and she gets offended if someone call her kafir.
Well truth always hurts.And it is very true in this situation.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2: Sister,

The Kafirs at the time of Prophet :saw: used to believe in Allah and yet they were called Kuffaar (Kaafirs).

وقال الله تعالى: (وَلَئِن سَأَلْتَهُم مَّنْ خَلَقَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ وَسَخَّرَ الشَّمْسَ وَالْقَمَرَ لَيَقُولُنَّ اللَّهُ فَأَنَّى يُؤْفَكُونَ)
[ العنكبوت:61]

And If you were to ask them: "Who has created the heavens and the earth and subjected the sun and the moon?"

They will surely reply: "Allâh."

How then are they deviating (as polytheists and disbelievers)?

[Surah Al-Ankaboot: Ayah 61]

وقال الله تعالى: ( قُلْ مَن يَرْزُقُكُم مِّنَ السَّمَاء وَالأَرْضِ أَمَّن يَمْلِكُ السَّمْعَ والأَبْصَارَ وَمَن يُخْرِجُ الْحَيَّ مِنَ الْمَيِّتِ وَيُخْرِجُ الْمَيَّتَ مِنَ الْحَيِّ وَمَن يُدَبِّرُ الأَمْرَ فَسَيَقُولُونَ اللّهُ فَقُلْ أَفَلاَ تَتَّقُونَ.فَذَلِكُمُ اللّهُ رَبُّكُمُ الْحَقُّ فَمَاذَا بَعْدَ الْحَقِّ إِلاَّ الضَّلاَلُ فَأَنَّى تُصْرَفُونَ) [يونس:31-32]

Say (O Muhammad SAW):
"Who provides for you from the sky and the earth?
Or who owns hearing and sight?
And who brings out the living from the dead and brings out the dead from the living?
And who disposes the affairs?"

They will say: "Allâh."

Say: "Will you not then be afraid of Allâh's Punishment (for setting up rivals in worship with Allâh)?".

Such is Allâh, your Lord in truth.
So after the truth, what else can there be, save error?
How then are you turned away?

[Surah Yunus: Ayaat 31-32]

وقال الله تعالى: ( قُل لِّمَنِ الْأَرْضُ وَمَن فِيهَا إِن كُنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ *سَيَقُولُونَ لِلَّهِ قُلْ أَفلا تَذَكَّرُون قُلْ مَن رَّبُّ السَّمَاوَاتِ السَّبْعِ وَرَبُّ الْعَرْشِ الْعَظِيمِ* سَيَقُولُونَ لِلَّهِ قُلْ أَفلا تَتَّقُونَ *قُلْ مَن بِيَدِهِ مَلَكُوتُ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ وَهُوَ يُجِيرُ ولا يُجَارُ عَلَيْهِ إِن كُنتُمْ تَعْلَمُون َ*سَيَقُولُونَ لِلَّهِ قُلْ فَأَنَّى تُسْحَرُونَ *بَلْ أَتَيْنَاهُم بِالْحَقِّ وَإِنَّهُمْ لَكَاذِبُونَ) [المؤمنون 84-90]

Say: "Whose is the earth and whosoever is therein? If you know!"

They will say: "It is Allâh's!"

Say: "Will you not then remember?"
Say: "Who is (the) Lord of the seven heavens, and (the) Lord of the Great Throne?"

They will say: "Allâh."

Say: "Will you not then fear Allâh (believe in His Oneness, obey Him, believe in the Resurrection and Recompense for every good or bad deed)?"
Say "In Whose Hand is the sovereignty of everything (i.e. treasures of each and everything)? And He protects (all), while against Whom there is no protector, (i.e. if Allâh saves anyone none can punish or harm him, and if Allâh punishes or harms anyone none can save him), if you know?" [Tafsir Al-Qurtubî]

They will say: "(All that belongs) to Allâh."

Say: "How then are you deceived and turn away from the truth?"
Nay, but We have brought them the truth (Islâmic Monotheism), and verily, they (disbelievers) are liars.

[Surah Muminoon: Ayaat 84-90]

شرك قريش
وقال الله تعالى: ( إِنَّا أَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ فَاعْبُدِ اللَّهَ مُخْلِصًا لَّهُ الدِّينَ * أَلا لِلَّهِ الدِّينُ الْخَالِصُ وَالَّذِينَ اتَّخَذُوا مِن دُونِهِ أَوْلِيَاء مَا نَعْبُدُهُمْ إِلا لِيُقَرِّبُونَا إِلَى اللَّهِ زُلْفَى ) [الزمر:2-3]

(Verily, We have sent down the Book to you (O Muhammad SAW) in truth: So worship Allâh (Alone) by doing religious deeds sincerely for Allâh's sake only. Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allâh only. And those who take Auliyâ' (protectors, helpers, lords, gods) besides Him (say):

"We worship them only that they may bring us near to Allâh."

Verily, Allâh will judge between them concerning that wherein they differ. Truly, Allâh guides not him who is a liar, and a disbeliever.

[Surah Az-Zumar: Ayaat 2-3]

وقال الله تعالى: ( وَيَعْبُدُونَ مِن دُونِ اللّهِ مَا لاَ يَضُرُّهُمْ وَلاَ يَنفَعُهُمْ وَيَقُولُونَ هَؤُلاء شُفَعَاؤُنَا عِندَ اللّهِ قُلْ أَتُنَبِّئُونَ اللّهَ بِمَا لاَ يَعْلَمُ فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَلاَ فِي الأَرْضِ سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ) [يونس : 18]

And they worship besides Allâh things that hurt them not, nor profit them, and they say:

"These are our intercessors with Allâh."

Say:
"Do you inform Allâh of that which He knows not in the heavens and on the earth?" Glorified and Exalted is He above all that which they associate as partners (with Him)!

[Surah Yunus: Ayah 18]

وقال الله تعالى: ( فَإِذَا رَكِبُوا فِي الْفُلْكِ دَعَوُا اللَّهَ مُخْلِصِينَ لَهُ الدِّينَ فَلَمَّا نَجَّاهُمْ إِلَى الْبَرِّ إِذَا هُمْ يُشْرِكُونَ )

[العنكبوت:65]

And when they embark on a ship, they invoke Allâh, making their Faith pure for Him only, but when He brings them safely to land, behold, they give a share of their worship to others.

[Surah Al-Ankaboot: Ayah 65]

As it is clear from the above Ayaats of the Quran, that The Quraysh, the People of Makkah at the time of the Prophet :saw: used to belive that Allah is the Rabb (The Creator Sustainer and Maintainer of the Universe).

Their Shirk was Shirk in Ibaadah(Worship), they used to associate Partners in Worship to Allah.
Ironically, this same Shirk is found in many of the Muslims lands.

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
Assalamualikum.Who is God?Allah The Exalted is God.When they believe in Jesus pbuh or believe in statues obviously they do not believe in God.
My mom who is a Non Muslim knows what Kafir means and she gets offended if someone call her kafir.
Well truth always hurts.And it is very true in this situation.

i sincerely pray for your mom to be muslim.
if u can request her then please say to her by touching her foot that all the tti members request you to accept islam.
wasalam

revert2007

Love Fishing
i sincerely pray for your mom to be muslim.
if u can request her then please say to her by touching her foot that all the tti members request you to accept islam.
wasalam
Assalamualikum.Jazaka Allah khair for your dua.My hubby and I have tried too hard to convince her but she just can't leave her "god".And she is too far away as I am in Egypt and she is in Malaysia.She used to hate Islam and she transferred it to me but alhamdulilah once I accepted islam she begins to know more about islam.Now she respect yet can't accept.
Allah guides whomever He wants.We can only make dua.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I often use the word kuffir to distinguish Muslims from non-Muslims. It is simple. You are either a Muslim or you are not. Where you fall in line in terms of your unbelief or disbelif is not my concern. Nor, is my purpose to make anyone feel bad or good about disbelief. I do not use the term with any emotional component.
I can not understand why a non-believing parent would be worried about what terms a Muslim uses. That is not logical.
I will not call a Muslim a kuffir. I have corrected many a Muslim and told them the actions which I have witnessed them do need to be corrected as they are imitating the kuffir.
A person does not need to open their heart to me. I can see by their mannerisms, pattern of speech, and general behavior what they are.
I personally find the kuffir offensive.

We can not straddle the fence. I see too many people trying to please everyone. You have to choose. Are you going to walk on the path with Muslims or are you going to look over your shoulders at the kuffir and wish to be with them.

I see too many people who are confused. There is no confusion. We are told to stay away from the kuffir. If we stay with those that do not Believe we become like them. I am not writing this lightly. I am dead serious.

Think...are you really going to be offened with one like me who calls a spade a spade...to please someone who has just told you over and over and over again they do not believe in Allah subhana talla and His Messenger?

muharram23

Staff member
Salamu alaykum

yes, Muslims need to learn their religion. If anyone calls himself other than a Muslim. And follows a path other than islaam, then he is not a Muslim therfore kaafir. If you read the Quran and sunnah of the prophet saws it is very clear and one doesn't have to be a doctor to understand that. Please read what brother abubaseer posted above as it answers everything in short. When we talk about Muslims then we will not call anyone kaafir except who is clearly mentioned in quraan and sunnah or our scholars have saaid or declared someone so with clear proof.

Otherwise, there would be no purpose to send 124,000 prophets and messenger nor eevalations from Allah if it was enough just to say I believe in God ( but which God).

Imaan is the belief of the heart, action of the limbs and statements of the tounge. So if we say we believe in Allah we have to say, believe, and act accordding to the last revelation (Quran) and the sunnah of prophet :saw:. Also, if someone neglects any part of quraan or sunnah he is indeed outside the fold of islaam depending on his level of knowledge. If someone talks evil about some of the prophets and beliefs in some and disbeliefs in some, then he is a disbelieved as Allah says in Quran " that the people if Nooh have disbelieved in prophets". We know that the first prophet was Nooh as so how could they disbelieve in all other prophets who came after? The mufasireen and scholars have interpreted that because if u disbelieve in one prophet is as u disbelieved in all of them. Very important that we have the proper aqeedah (belief) and unerstanding of this religion. It is aqeedah that will make someone be eternally in paradise or he'll.
If we consider people who are not Muslims to be believers then we need to check our faith.

Allahu alem

wasalam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Please correct me but does not one connotation of the word help to distinguish one who has knowledge from one who rejects knowledge.
I am in total agreement that only Allah subhana talla Knows. Are we wrong to distances ourselves from those who have knowledge but shy away.
Help me to understand this simple analogy: Muslims are oranges. No-Believers are apples. Can I not call an apple an apple and be happy with the oranges.

Ashima33

Assalaam walaikum,

Please correct me but does not one connotation of the word help to distinguish one who has knowledge from one who rejects knowledge.
I am in total agreement that only Allah subhana talla Knows. Are we wrong to distances ourselves from those who have knowledge but shy away.
Help me to understand this simple analogy: Muslims are oranges. No-Believers are apples. Can I not call an apple an apple and be happy with the oranges.

Salaam, I see what you are pointing out here.

But my opinion is that from the original definition of the word Kaffir: "one who believes in God" which is from the root verb kafara meaning "to cover, conceal, or deny." To me... this is saying... someone who KNOWS the truth, yet denies it.

I guess the best way I can describe how I feel about what you are saying with the analogy of calling an apple and apple, is the common: "Don't judge a book by it's cover." Something may look like an apple on the outside, but we don't know what is on the inside. We don't know people's history and what they have been through. If Islam has been presented to them, or if it has even been presented properly. If all someone knows about Islam is what they see on T.V. who could blame them for not accepting it? How can we call these people Kaffir? This is just one example I can think of.

I know the Qur'an will use Kaffir, but I don't believe that means we should. It is the word of God, so God can use it because he is the one who judges us. We are not supposed to judge each other.

And I'm sorry if some of you think this thread is useless, but this is my opinion, my 2 cents, that I hold very dear to my heart. And I would like to feel comfortable sharing these with you whether you agree or not without feeling like it's completely useless.

This is important to me because I know that before I converted, if someone would have called me a kaffir... I would have been extremely hurt and offended. Especially because many of my beliefs were already parallel to Islam. Like I have said, only God knows what is in a person's heart. We do not. I just think it's better to stay away from using the word.

muharram23

Staff member
Salamu alaykum

Islam is different from all other religion because it is based on proof. If everyone could believe what they wanted in Islam then it wouldn't be any different from other religion. Why do people except Islam? Apparently because it the truth while everything else falsehood. Anology is the last resort that scholars turn to incase there is no ruling about something in Quran or sunnah.

Allah has sent revelations to all people. Those who have not been reached by the message if islaam, they are still considered not to be Muslim, if they die we will not say they are disbelievers, or that they will go to hell or heaven since we do not know in what state they died upon. As far as the akhirah, then it is from unseen. Allah might test them in the afterlife, he might forgive them it whatever.

Allah says in surah al-isra that he will not punish a nation until sending them a messenger. Therefore, Allah might try them in afterlife.

Allah knows best

wassalam

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Salaam Alikom

I just want to add one line and I want every one think before even try to reply if people get offended and don't like the term Kaffir, who would you like to invite them to Islam by insulting them because for them its an insult and as some of you said its truth always hurts, but we need to be careful how we act when we make dawah, calling people right and left Kafir wont achieve any dawah.

Our job is to convey the message of Islam beautifully and clearly. It is Allah Who guides whomsoever He wills. We should not say that we are 'converting' someone. People convert themselves. It is a kind of tawbah (repentance) and qubul (acceptance) for them. They are turning to Allah and accepting the true faith.

When you speak to Christians, emphasize what Allah says in the Qur’an: “And argue not with the People of the Scripture unless it be in (a way) that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our God and your God is One, and unto Him we surrender.” (Al-`Ankabut:46)

Sheik Yusuf Estes, said

Calling non-Muslims to Islam can’t be achieved through talk about Islam only. There must be a practical model that should be offered by the one who calls others to Islam. In today’s world, Islam is in no need for orators who can captivate the audience with their resounding words. Rather, Islam is in a real need for those who really practice its teachings and try their best, while being guided by their good example, to call non-Muslims to Islam.

In other words, those who call to Islam should practice what they preach. Their actions should speak louder than their words.

In short, those who call others to Islam should make use of the following tips:

1-The one who intends to call others to Islam should practice Islam in the right way. After that, he can call others to Islam through wisdom and fair exhortation and he should be keen that his “walk follow his talk.”

2- There should be no compulsion to the target audience, as people usually reject those who compel them to accept an ordinary matter, let alone a creedal concept.

3- The da`iyah should be thoughtful. He should not say, while trying to call a Christian to Islam, for example: “How shameful that 1= 3 and 3=1.”

4- The da`iyah must be himself in the sense that he is not supposed to act the role of an instructor or a good public speaker while actually he isn’t.

5- The da`iyah should not expect that his target audience will change their beliefs 100%. Rather, the da`iyah should expect from them to accept the basics of Islam and to gradually try with them to change some of their distorted beliefs.

6- A gradual approach in da`wah is so beneficial and will bring about good results. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) spent 13 years in Makkah trying to anchor the basic concepts of Islamic creed among new Muslims.

7- In calling non-Muslims, we should concentrate on creedal concepts and we should not demand the new Muslims to do more than what Allah obliges them to do."

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503546774

Status
Not open for further replies.