Can a Muslim still like Dogs I know Muslims are not allowed to keep Dogs as pets ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
:salam2:

Well, it looks like this thread blew up too.

Surah 18 is one of my favorites. The number of the people of the cave changes, but the dog is always listed among them, and given a place of respect. For that reason it is one of my favorites.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

What is different with pet dogs and guard dogs?

Both guard they place and drive away thief and warn people about fire. They also force they owners make some walking daily what is good for health.

:SMILY259:

esperanza

revert of many years

Both guard they place and drive away thief and warn people about fire. They also force they owners make some walking daily what is good for health.

from what i understand ..dogs are considered unclean..not sutiable for a muslim to keep i nthe house,,,,, but a guard dog may be necessity to protect you and also those who have sheep:hijabi:

Isra

aka Tree2008

Wa alaikome salam

The difference between the two is that our Prophet (SAW) forbade owning one and not the other. Please refer to BrotherInIslam7 post above for the hadith that shows proof of the ruling.

Wa salam

Sister Kalena

Dogs are good people

I have kept dogs my entire life and will happily touch the Hell fire for doing so.

How tragic to never know the unconditional love and loyality of a good dog.

They aren't called "man's best friend" for nothing...

Isra

aka Tree2008
I have kept dogs my entire life and will happily touch the Hell fire for doing so.

As salamo alaikome

Oh my sister please say Astafiruallah!!!! You should never say such a thing even jokingly!!! Have you never read Quran???? If you read about what the hellfire will do to you I dont believe you would say such a thing ever again! In the last days Allah says in Quran that mothers and fathers will leave their children, nobody will help another out of fear for themselves!!!! Do you really think you will be worried about your dogs at that time???? When the mountains are turning to wool fluffing up and disintegrating before your very eyes and you view the magnificent power of Allah on that day are you still going to say "dogs are mans best friend"? I think that is the shaitan making you think that way! You should obey Allah and the messenger sister. In the last day I doubt you will be thinking about your dog I assure you!

wa salam

Sister Kalena

My post was no joke

I have most certainly read the Holy Qu'ran and stand by my statement. Dear sister, you obviously have never had a dog, so you have no idea how much they can mean to a person. How sad for you, most of this "dog hate" is cultural, not religious. IMHO

It seems to me that muslims can "cherry pick" (google it) any hadith or verse to support their postion, just like the Christians do with the Bible.

On the day of Judgement I will answer to Allah for my sins and bad deeds.

P.S. "All Dogs go to Heaven"

esperanza

revert of many years
i think most people know ..how loving and dependent a dog can be,,,,but if your a muslim you cant choose and pick the things you wish to follow and those not...Islam is a complete religion....i am a great lover of animals...always have been
but sadly isee too many people in the west,,,put love of animals before care of human suffering.......................we must get our priorities right....................

Sister Kalena

Cultural Prejudice?

i think most people know ..how loving and dependent a dog can be,,,,but if your a muslim you cant choose and pick the things you wish to follow and those not...Islam is a complete religion....i am a great lover of animals...always have been
but sadly isee too many people in the west,,,put love of animals before care of human suffering.......................we must get our priorities right....................

Well Sister, I see you are from the "Middle East"...I sure am glad there is no human suffering going on in your part of the world.

Perhaps your time would be better spent helping your fellow Muslims, rather than telling people on the Internet how they should practice Islam.

Time to go feed my dogs...Salaam.

P.S. Please forgive me if I have offended you. Your name means "Hope" in Spanish. How interesting.

Isra

aka Tree2008
I have most certainly read the Holy Qu'ran and stand by my statement. Dear sister, you obviously have never had a dog, so you have no idea how much they can mean to a person. How sad for you, most of this "dog hate" is cultural, not religious. IMHO

It seems to me that muslims can "cherry pick" (google it) any hadith or verse to support their postion, just like the Christians do with the Bible.

On the day of Judgement I will answer to Allah for my sins and bad deeds.

P.S. "All Dogs go to Heaven"

As salamo alaikome

Dear sister I will make dua for you. Honestly I dont think you really really know what you are saying. I most certainly have had dogs before I became a Muslim and I most certainly have loved them very much BUT now I am a Muslim and I love Allah more than any dog, person or thing on this earth. I will obey my Rabb and creator over my own feelings or desires for anything on this earth.

You should not say about your fellow Muslims such a thing. Some Muslims may be guilty of "Cherry Picking" as you said (which by the way I dont need to google I am an American thank you very much) but MOST Muslims who follow our beautiful deen follow it with the best intentions in their hearts and to say otherwise without proof is slander! Which is totally against Islam by the way in case you werent aware. Muslims are not Christians and to compare a Muslim to a Christian is like comparing apples to oranges. They are two separate and different things entirely!

Dog "hating" is not a part of Islam at all!!! To be a Muslim does not mean you must hate dogs! It means Muslims must not own dogs as pets and nothing more than that. Please see the hadith that BrotherInIslam7 posted above to see the proof for yourself.

To mention as lightly as you did "On the day of Judgement I will answer to Allah for my sins and bad deeds" makes ME feel sorry for YOU dear sister. You should try to educate yourself about Islam and seek Allah's mercy. Instead of worrying about your dog you should be more worried about pleasing Allah. That is not IMHO dear sister........that is ISLAM! Alhamdulillah

P.S. What proof do you have that "All Dogs go to Heaven" sister? That was a movie not reality. IF thats true Quran would have mentioned it and I assure you there is not one sentence in Quran or Hadith that states there will be dogs in heaven. If there is please show me the proof.

wa salam

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
i hate dogs because i'm scared of them not gonna lie:eek:

You haven't met my dogs then. They love everyone.

Anyway, I am engaged in a similar thread on another message board and the conversation has gone similarly over there as well. I think the dog issue is more of a cultural thing than a religious one. Dogs are looked down upon in Asian and African society, while they are more cherished in Western societies. That's my take on it. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Isra

aka Tree2008
I think the dog issue is more of a cultural thing than a religious one. Dogs are looked down upon in Asian and African society, while they are more cherished in Western societies. That's my take on it. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

As salamo alaikome

Brother I will correct you because you are wrong in this case. It most definately IS a religious thing and not a cultural thing. Please read BrotherInIslam7 post for the hadith with proof.

wa salam

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuu

[yt]AWDu7bVbg18[/yt]​

Alhumdulillah there is wisdom in everything that has been prohibited to us in Islaam. The good has been allowed to us and the bad has been prohibited incase of dogs it is allowed in certain circumstances.

There are many ahadeeth that warn us for keeping dogs other than the permissibility.

If the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) warned us then he also gave the benefit for heeding to the warning.

Prophet(sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said: "Whoever keeps a dog as a pet, except for the purpose of guarding a cattle or hunting, will lose a Qiraat (a huge portion) of the reward from his good deeds daily." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]

aisha16

There's a joke that a Somali will run a marathon if they see a dog. I hold that to definetly be true. Growing up I was terrified of dogs. If I ever seen a chihuaha I would end up crying like crazy. And I'm not gonna lie I'm still afraid of dogs. As Muslim kids growing up we also knew that we were never allowed to go anywhere near dogs or touch them. And if a dog happened to touch you washed the area seven times, if I'm correct. This is still the case for tons of Muslim kids today, they see a dog and they run. Well at least Somali kids lol. I'm glad though that the whole non-dog thing exist in Islam. There's probably lots of wisdom in not being around dogs and whatnot. Even if they're considered to have cleaner mouths than humans or something but yeah...sorry for the rambling.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuu

[yt]AWDu7bVbg18[/yt]​

Wa alaikome salam

Very beneficial video brother. Jazakallah khairan for posting this. Inshallah this proves that it is a matter of religion and not cultural as some brothers and sisters are thinking.

wa salam

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:,

There's truth to both sides here. Not being allowed to have dogs as pets (barring certain conditions) is religious. However, the ridiculous fear and disgust that accompanies a person when they see a dog or hear about one is very much cultural.

I'll give an example. In Pakistan, there are alot of superstitions related to dogs being filthy and dirty creatures. These superstitions were created in order to keep people away from dogs, since they're not permitted in Islam. However, as time went on, people forgot about the part where dogs simply are not allowed to be kept as pets (again barring certain conditions) and remembered the cultural superstitions, even more ignorant of why they originated in the first place. This led to unnecessary feelings of hatred and disgust. Plus these superstitions are often told to children and that's why there are many Pakistani children that scream bloody murder at the sight of a dog.

Unfortunately, to my parents' dismay I was not one of them :).

Nevertheless, these people take their hatred and disgust way too far. Yes we're not allowed to keep dogs as pets most of the time. But there's no reason to treat them like the plague as a result.

I love dogs just as much as the next person but my religion SO comes first. Just because a ruling isn't exactly my cup of tea doesn't mean I'm going to go onto denial about the whole thing, stick my head in the sand and alter Allah's Perfect Deen to fit my preferences.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It was related to me by a sister that the Companion of the Prophet,may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, was a dog phobic. Now, I have never read this.
The sister stated that the Companion was Abu Huraira. I trusted this sister as she is the daughter of a renowned imam.
I have never read any hadeeth on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.