Can a woman work outside the house?

Stefana

well its more like I'm workin outside the regardless of anything:angryred: .......................but i was woondering after a woman gets married can she work out side the house? cause i am going to school and gettin me a career and plan on workin outside the home because i might b a muslium convert but i was born a western girl and when it commes to me takin care of my self.....I RULE!!!!:angryred:lol i'm also a feminist Booyahh

but really on this subjest take me seriously

Brother
:salam2: sister,

Of course a muslim women can work outside of home and go to school so long as she adheres to the teaching of islam and practices her deen on the outside. im sure there are threads similar to this one ill try and look for one.

Maybe someone can post a ruling or hadith based on this inshALLAH.

i hope i helped.

heres a similar thread there are links in it provided by a brother that have information on the rights of women.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11581&highlight=muslim+women+working

i hope it works inshALLAH.

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

From what i read before in Fatawa and sirah of the prophet Mohammed SAW..

A woman can only work outside the house when there's no one to provide for her.
In other words, She has no father, brother, a husband or a son to do that..
and if the income of that provider doesn't cover thier expences then it is ok for the woman to help by working if necessary.

As for studying, If she cant afford to have teachers who can teach her at home, Then it is ok to go to school or college.

And Allah knows best.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

From what i read before in Fatawa and sirah of the prophet Mohammed SAW..

A woman can only work outside the house when there's no one to provide for her.
In other words, She has no father, brother, a husband or a son to do that..
and if the income of that provider doesn't cover thier expences then it is ok for the woman to help by working if necessary.

As for studying, If she cant afford to have teachers who can teach her at home, Then it is ok to go to school or college.

And Allah knows best.

Hmm Wasn't Khadija (prophet's wife) a business women?

saif

For the purpose of education, I will quote two fatwas. One from Islamqa, which is the preferred site for most of the brothers and sisters on this site. In my second mail, I will quote a fatwa from islamonline.net , against which there have been several warnings but which I personally prefer over islamqa. So first of all, islamqa, has the following to say:

I am a 20-year-old girl studying engineering. I work during the summer in a stationary store; in order to pay my college fees, am I sinful? I wear niqab, and sometimes feel that no religious man proposes to me for this reason.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The basic principle is that a woman should remain at home, and not go out except for necessary purposes. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance”

[al-Ahzaab 33:33].

Although this is addressed to the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), it also applies to the believing women. It is only addressed to the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) because of their honour and status with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and because they are examples for the believing women.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Woman is ‘awrah, and if she goes out, the shaytaan raises his hopes (of misguiding her). She is never closer to Allaah than when she stays in her house.” Narrated by Ibn Hibbaan and Ibn Khuzaymah; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Shaheehah, no. 2688.

And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said concerning a woman’s prayer in the mosque: “Their houses are better for them.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (567) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

For more information please see the answer to question no. 6742.

Secondly:

It is permissible for a woman to go out of her house for work, but that is subject to certain conditions. If they are met, it is permissible for her to go out. They are:

- That she needs to work in order to acquire the money she needs, as in your case.

- The work should be suited to the nature of woman, such as medicine, nursing, teaching, sewing, and so on.

- The work should be in a place that is only for women, and there should be no mixing with non-mahram men.

- Whilst at work she should observe complete shar’i hijab.

- Her work should not lead to her travelling without a mahram.

- Her going out to work should not involve committing any haraam action, such as being alone with the driver, or wearing perfume where non-mahrams can smell it.

- That should not lead to her neglecting things that are more essential for her, such as looking after her house, husband and children.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen said: The field in which a woman works should be only for women, such as if she works in teaching girls, whether in administration or technical support, or she works at home as a seamstress sewing clothes for women and so on. As for working in fields that are for men, this is not permissible for her because it requires her to mix with men, which is a great fitnah (source of temptation and trouble) and should be avoided. It should be noted that it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I have not left behind me any fitnah that is more harmful to men than women; the fitnah of the Children of Israel had to do with women.” So the man should keep his family away from places of fitnah and its causes in all circumstances. End quote.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah (2/981)

If these conditions are met in your work, then there is nothing wrong with you doing it in sha Allaah.

We ask Allaah to grant you a righteous husband, for He is able to do that.

And Allaah knows best.

saif

And now islamonline.net:

Name of Questioner

S. A. - Afghanistan

Title

Women’s Work: Any Restrictions?

Question

Dear scholars, as-salamu `alaykum. What is the ruling on women’s going out to work and what are its regulations? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Date

05/Feb/2007

Name of Counsellor

`Abdul-Fattah Idrees

Topic

Mixing

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, thanks a lot for your question which reflects your care to have a clear view of the teachings of Islam. Allah commands Muslims to refer to people of knowledge to get themselves well-acquainted with the teachings of Islam as well as all aspects of life.

It is permissible for a woman to work outside the home as long as the regulations set by the Islamic Shari`ah in this regard are observed.

In his response to the question in point, Dr. `Abdel-Fattah Idrees, professor of comparative jurisprudence at Al-Azhar University, issues the following fatwa:

Islam enjoins work and being active, for Almighty Allah says, (And say (unto them): Act! Allah will behold your actions, and (so will) His Messenger and the believers.) (At-Tawbah 9: 105) Allah the Lawgiver has also promised rewards for those who work and He made working hard one of the reasons for His forgiving sins, as the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever goes to bed exhausted out of his own hands’ hard work will be forgiven (for all his sins).”

Islam never forbids women to work inside or outside home. To illustrate, the wives of Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) used to work at home. For example, they used to dye their own clothing and tan hides in addition to their other housework activities, such as preparing food, cleaning their houses and serving and taking care of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

Another example of women’s work is that the Prophet’s wife `A’ishah used to prepare the herbal medicine prescribed by his physicians, and she also used to give it herself to Allah’s Messenger and nurse him, in addition to her housework. Furthermore, the wives of the Prophet’s Companions used to do their housework and the like. For instance, Fatimah (daughter of the Prophet) used to run the quern (hand mill for grain) herself till her hands became swollen, and the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) did not disapprove of that. Another example is that Asma’ bint Abi Bakr, wife of Az-Zubayr ibn Al-`Awwam, used to work hard inside and outside her home. She used to feed the camel and the horse and look after her husband and children. Asma’ also used to go on foot to fetch the fodder from her husband’s land three kilometers from Madinah, and the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) once saw her on her way and he did not show any disapproval.

That is to say, women’s going out to work is not forbidden in Islam, for some women used to go out to work in the Prophet’s lifetime and he did not disapprove of them. Among those women was Umm `Attiyah, who used to perform circumcision for females, wash and enshroud the deceased females of Madinah, and nurse and treat the injured Muslim warriors in battlefields, in addition to preparing food for the other warriors. Another example of such working women was Rufaydah Al-Aslamiyyah, the first female doctor in Islam, for whom the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) specified a tent in his mosque in Madinah in order to treat and nurse the injured Muslim warriors of the Battle of Al-Khandaq (the Trench). Ar-Rabaiyyi` bint Mu`awwidh and Umm Sulaim used to set out with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) in his various battles to provide water for the Muslim warriors, hand weapons to them, prepare food for them, treat the injured, and carry the martyrs to the burial places. Furthermore, Ash-Shifa’ bint `Abdullah used to go out to teach the Muslim women to read and write and to practice medicine during the lifetime of Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him). Umm Mihjan used to clean the Prophet’s Mosque, and when the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) noticed her absence and his Companions told him she had died and had been buried (as they did not want to disturb the Prophet’s sleep when she died), the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) went to her grave and offered the Prayer for the dead over her. One more example was that Caliph `Umar ibn Al-Khattab appointed a woman named Ash-Shifa’ to occupy a position called al-hisbah or market inspector who saw that scales were just and accurate and that transactions were carried out according to the rulings of Islam.

All these examples and many others show that Islam never forbids a woman to go out to work, whether she is married or not. Yet, Islam has set some regulations to protect working women, guarantee their safety, and prevent any possible evil consequences. Among these regulations is that a woman should wear hijab and cover herself with loose clothing. She should never go out in skin-tight or see-through clothing. In other words, she should avoid wearing anything that may sexually attract men, nor should she go out wearing make-up or perfume or uncovering any of her `awrah (parts that must be covered). A woman should not be a source of temptation while going out to work, nor should she mingle with men lawful for her to marry. She should also avoid the gatherings of men, as when entering or leaving the work place or getting in the bus to or from work, and should not walk with a swinging erotic gait. Moreover, a woman should be engaged in a kind of work that suits her physiological nature, and should get the permission of her legal guardian or husband to work outside the home. In addition, a woman should make sure that her work would not result in any violation of the rights of her husband or children if she is married. These regulations have many illustrations in the Qur’an and the Sunnah, yet there is no room to mention them here.

It is worth mentioning that distribution of the roles and duties between the two spouses is an integral part in this concern, so that neither of them would be comfortable and satisfied at the expense of the other who would be suffering. In this way family life can proceed smoothly, and the woman is able to play her fundamental role as an active and effective member of the Muslim society without neglecting her role in establishing a good family, which is a pillar of the Muslim community.

Now choice is yours sister. See, what in your opinion is best representing Quran and Sunnah.

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
For the purpose of education, I will quote two fatwas. One from Islamqa, which is the preferred site for most of the brothers and sisters on this site. In my second mail, I will quote a fatwa from islamonline.net , against which there have been several warnings but which I personally prefer over islamqa. So first of all, islamqa, has the following to say:

I am a 20-year-old girl studying engineering. I work during the summer in a stationary store; in order to pay my college fees, am I sinful? I wear niqab, and sometimes feel that no religious man proposes to me for this reason.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The basic principle is that a woman should remain at home, and not go out except for necessary purposes. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance”

[al-Ahzaab 33:33].

Although this is addressed to the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), it also applies to the believing women. It is only addressed to the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) because of their honour and status with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and because they are examples for the believing women.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Woman is ‘awrah, and if she goes out, the shaytaan raises his hopes (of misguiding her). She is never closer to Allaah than when she stays in her house.” Narrated by Ibn Hibbaan and Ibn Khuzaymah; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Shaheehah, no. 2688.

And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said concerning a woman’s prayer in the mosque: “Their houses are better for them.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (567) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

For more information please see the answer to question no. 6742.

Secondly:

It is permissible for a woman to go out of her house for work, but that is subject to certain conditions. If they are met, it is permissible for her to go out. They are:

- That she needs to work in order to acquire the money she needs, as in your case.

- The work should be suited to the nature of woman, such as medicine, nursing, teaching, sewing, and so on.

- The work should be in a place that is only for women, and there should be no mixing with non-mahram men.

- Whilst at work she should observe complete shar’i hijab.

- Her work should not lead to her travelling without a mahram.

- Her going out to work should not involve committing any haraam action, such as being alone with the driver, or wearing perfume where non-mahrams can smell it.

- That should not lead to her neglecting things that are more essential for her, such as looking after her house, husband and children.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen said: The field in which a woman works should be only for women, such as if she works in teaching girls, whether in administration or technical support, or she works at home as a seamstress sewing clothes for women and so on. As for working in fields that are for men, this is not permissible for her because it requires her to mix with men, which is a great fitnah (source of temptation and trouble) and should be avoided. It should be noted that it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I have not left behind me any fitnah that is more harmful to men than women; the fitnah of the Children of Israel had to do with women.” So the man should keep his family away from places of fitnah and its causes in all circumstances. End quote.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah (2/981)

If these conditions are met in your work, then there is nothing wrong with you doing it in sha Allaah.

We ask Allaah to grant you a righteous husband, for He is able to do that.

And Allaah knows best.

:hijabi::mashallah: jazak Allah khayran for posting this fatwa:hearts:

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salamalaykum,

Jazak Allah khair for sharing it masha Allah.

Jazak Allah.

And now islamonline.net:

Name of Questioner

S. A. - Afghanistan

Title

Women’s Work: Any Restrictions?

Question

Dear scholars, as-salamu `alaykum. What is the ruling on women’s going out to work and what are its regulations? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Date

05/Feb/2007

Name of Counsellor

`Abdul-Fattah Idrees

Topic

Mixing

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, thanks a lot for your question which reflects your care to have a clear view of the teachings of Islam. Allah commands Muslims to refer to people of knowledge to get themselves well-acquainted with the teachings of Islam as well as all aspects of life.

It is permissible for a woman to work outside the home as long as the regulations set by the Islamic Shari`ah in this regard are observed.

In his response to the question in point, Dr. `Abdel-Fattah Idrees, professor of comparative jurisprudence at Al-Azhar University, issues the following fatwa:

Islam enjoins work and being active, for Almighty Allah says, (And say (unto them): Act! Allah will behold your actions, and (so will) His Messenger and the believers.) (At-Tawbah 9: 105) Allah the Lawgiver has also promised rewards for those who work and He made working hard one of the reasons for His forgiving sins, as the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever goes to bed exhausted out of his own hands’ hard work will be forgiven (for all his sins).”

Islam never forbids women to work inside or outside home. To illustrate, the wives of Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) used to work at home. For example, they used to dye their own clothing and tan hides in addition to their other housework activities, such as preparing food, cleaning their houses and serving and taking care of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

Another example of women’s work is that the Prophet’s wife `A’ishah used to prepare the herbal medicine prescribed by his physicians, and she also used to give it herself to Allah’s Messenger and nurse him, in addition to her housework. Furthermore, the wives of the Prophet’s Companions used to do their housework and the like. For instance, Fatimah (daughter of the Prophet) used to run the quern (hand mill for grain) herself till her hands became swollen, and the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) did not disapprove of that. Another example is that Asma’ bint Abi Bakr, wife of Az-Zubayr ibn Al-`Awwam, used to work hard inside and outside her home. She used to feed the camel and the horse and look after her husband and children. Asma’ also used to go on foot to fetch the fodder from her husband’s land three kilometers from Madinah, and the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) once saw her on her way and he did not show any disapproval.

That is to say, women’s going out to work is not forbidden in Islam, for some women used to go out to work in the Prophet’s lifetime and he did not disapprove of them. Among those women was Umm `Attiyah, who used to perform circumcision for females, wash and enshroud the deceased females of Madinah, and nurse and treat the injured Muslim warriors in battlefields, in addition to preparing food for the other warriors. Another example of such working women was Rufaydah Al-Aslamiyyah, the first female doctor in Islam, for whom the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) specified a tent in his mosque in Madinah in order to treat and nurse the injured Muslim warriors of the Battle of Al-Khandaq (the Trench). Ar-Rabaiyyi` bint Mu`awwidh and Umm Sulaim used to set out with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) in his various battles to provide water for the Muslim warriors, hand weapons to them, prepare food for them, treat the injured, and carry the martyrs to the burial places. Furthermore, Ash-Shifa’ bint `Abdullah used to go out to teach the Muslim women to read and write and to practice medicine during the lifetime of Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him). Umm Mihjan used to clean the Prophet’s Mosque, and when the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) noticed her absence and his Companions told him she had died and had been buried (as they did not want to disturb the Prophet’s sleep when she died), the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) went to her grave and offered the Prayer for the dead over her. One more example was that Caliph `Umar ibn Al-Khattab appointed a woman named Ash-Shifa’ to occupy a position called al-hisbah or market inspector who saw that scales were just and accurate and that transactions were carried out according to the rulings of Islam.

All these examples and many others show that Islam never forbids a woman to go out to work, whether she is married or not. Yet, Islam has set some regulations to protect working women, guarantee their safety, and prevent any possible evil consequences. Among these regulations is that a woman should wear hijab and cover herself with loose clothing. She should never go out in skin-tight or see-through clothing. In other words, she should avoid wearing anything that may sexually attract men, nor should she go out wearing make-up or perfume or uncovering any of her `awrah (parts that must be covered). A woman should not be a source of temptation while going out to work, nor should she mingle with men lawful for her to marry. She should also avoid the gatherings of men, as when entering or leaving the work place or getting in the bus to or from work, and should not walk with a swinging erotic gait. Moreover, a woman should be engaged in a kind of work that suits her physiological nature, and should get the permission of her legal guardian or husband to work outside the home. In addition, a woman should make sure that her work would not result in any violation of the rights of her husband or children if she is married. These regulations have many illustrations in the Qur’an and the Sunnah, yet there is no room to mention them here.

It is worth mentioning that distribution of the roles and duties between the two spouses is an integral part in this concern, so that neither of them would be comfortable and satisfied at the expense of the other who would be suffering. In this way family life can proceed smoothly, and the woman is able to play her fundamental role as an active and effective member of the Muslim society without neglecting her role in establishing a good family, which is a pillar of the Muslim community.

Now choice is yours sister. See, what in your opinion is best representing Quran and Sunnah.

Stefana

Thanks 4 responses, anywayz........you see I grew up a western girl my father died when I was 2 so mom was workin outside & even b4 he died.So I grew up alot more independent heck what I'm good at is self defense and spend most of my time workin with computer wires and doing vido game demos.Job of my choice would b working at Ubisoft (video game creators) in Tokyo Japan and doing lots of traveling and having many side jobs.And I strive 4 infiniate knowledge I wanna see everything know many things travel all over the world.See I am a free spirit and follows in any direction the wind blows me I cannot be pinned up in a house <_< lol my mom knows the truth of that I get real angry if I have to stay in.I like islam alot but this subject is controversary.......I might not get married because of it >_>.......on the other hand if I do is there any thing wrong with marrying a christian of a jew?

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Thanks 4 responses, anywayz........you see I grew up a western girl my father died when I was 2 so mom was workin outside & even b4 he died.So I grew up alot more independent heck what I'm good at is self defense and spend most of my time workin with computer wires and doing vido game demos.Job of my choice would b working at Ubisoft (video game creators) in Tokyo Japan and doing lots of traveling and having many side jobs.And I strive 4 infiniate knowledge I wanna see everything know many things travel all over the world.See I am a free spirit and follows in any direction the wind blows me I cannot be pinned up in a house <_< lol my mom knows the truth of that I get real angry if I have to stay in.I like islam alot but this subject is controversary.......I might not get married because of it >_>.......on the other hand if I do is there any thing wrong with marrying a christian of a jew?

Hi stefana,

take it easy sister, you are thinking way far ahead :p

in the future, you may find a muslim husband who like what you like (travel)...

concentrate on the religion itself, if you believe that it (Islam) is a true religion, then be a muslim and everything else comes in each on time... don't worry too much :p

Take care Stefana

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salamalyakum,

Masha Allah glad to know about u sister a techinical innovative personality :) . May Allah give u a husband of ur choice who will be supportive, understanding helpful and lead u along with him to Jannah following Quran and Suunah properly. Ameen. Sister to my lil knowledge Muslim women is not allowed to marry a non muslim. Rest Allah knows the best.

May Allah have his mercy on us and make things easy for us. Ameen.

MissSemolina

Assalaamu alaykum

Stefana, a muslim woman cannot marry a man from any other religion. There's stacks and stacks of info on this. Go check out Islamqa for reference inshaAllah.

Now, you seem quite a determined young lady. The more you learn, the more your love for Islam will grow. Seriously, it'll get deeper and things will click for sure and all these answers to your questions will makes sense one day. Working outside the home carries certain problems in the fact that we have to deal with the opposite sex numerous times, day in day out. BUT if you are such strong willed as you seem, YOU could arrange the working environment YOU know that Islam allows. You make the rules, so YOU go for a job around females only. Some women opt for working from home, okay that might not be you BUT like I said, if YOU can work in an islamic environment outside of the home, or set something up with other muslim women, then go for it. And hey, don't let this deter you from marriage lol, that's a whole different desire in itself. Take care.:shake:

Miss Semolina