CAN I CREATE THE BLOG?

lightofnur

Assalammualaikum all :)

I have a question to ask.

A year ago, I created a blog, but I never revealed my name, my personal details, never put any photos on it, never put ANY insensitive material (not that I would ever) and never did anything offensive. When I was reading my friend's blog, my dad got unreasonably angry for reading the blog (when there was nothing offensive about it, my friend was describing her personality); he is really strict, especially in these matters, and he thinks that I may be influenced in revealing my personal life to be read by all, when Alhamdulillah, Allah has guided me all this while and I have never done anything major to disobey my parents in that manner. I love them both and I know Allah Watches over what I do.

Unfortunately, my dad is the kind where we can't really discuss much about these matters because he is too opinionated in thinking he is right, most of the time (didn't mean that in a rude way). He told me I could not make a blog, nor read others' one except for education. Of course, I followed what he asked me to do. Don't get me wrong, he is caring in his own way, just a tad too paranoid.

My question is this. I love and fear Allah and don't want to offend Him. I do want to make a blog about Islam and my viewpoints of how great this religion is in a diary-like manner, inserting some trivial things an average Muslimah might face, so that I can gain a lot of readers to read this interesting blog, Muslim or non-Muslim, Insha'allah. I won't reveal any true personal details (like my name, age, school, address, etc), but I badly want to make a blog so that people can read and understand many misconceptions against Islam. Can I do this, or will Allah be angry with me? Because I feel I am doing it for Him, and not for myself completely (though I love writing and this will be refreshing), and am trying to spread da'wah via the Internet.

What do you think? Please provide some proofs on this matter, if possible.
Thanks very much to all who bothered to read this post, May Allah Bless you all, especially to those who replied. Thanks very much in advance!

revert2007

Love Fishing
:salam2:

Go ahead and create the blog for the sake of Allah.I have one and have a look for some ideas. There are many reverts still learning Islam and blog is one of the best way in teaching them.

lightofnur

Go ahead and create the blog for the sake of Allah.I have one and have a look for some ideas. There are many reverts still learning Islam and blog is one of the best way in teaching them.

Wa'alaikumussalam!

Do you think so? I feel the same, so it was great to hear someone voice it out. Still waiting for other's opinions on this matter, but I greatly appreciate your opinion, sis. :)

I had a look on your blog, and it was amazing! I'm going to add your name to the blog list, insha'allah! Very informative.

Abu Abdillah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum.

If your father has told you not to create the blog etc then you should obey him in this matter.

You have to remember the role of the Parents in Islam, this is a Great Role. And Obeying them is a Must.

Unfortunately, sometimes this disposition gets distorted and particularly in the west and todays society with the growth of the internet and other digital media we have at our disposal we think we know better. .

Our parents have done us a great favor, our Creator has told us not to even show them signs of discontent if they did something we did not like or were wrong about anything.

But to pay back their favor by being loving, kind and dutiful to them is the absolute minimum that all us have to do.

And the Dawah First and foremost begins at home with ones family. as Allah has instructed all Mankind. ''O you who have believed, protect yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is people and stones, over which are [appointed] angels, harsh and severe; they do not disobey Allah in what He commands them but do what they are commanded.'' [Surah Tahrim Ayah:6]

lightofnur

Assalamu'alaykum.

If your father has told you not to create the blog etc then you should obey him in this matter.

You have to remember the role of the Parents in Islam, this is a Great Role. And Obeying them is a Must.

Unfortunately, sometimes this disposition gets distorted and particularly in the west and todays society with the growth of the internet and other digital media we have at our disposal we think we know better. .

Our parents have done us a great favor, our Creator has told us not to even show them signs of discontent if they did something we did not like or were wrong about anything.

But to pay back their favor by being loving, kind and dutiful to them is the absolute minimum that all us have to do.

And the Dawah First and foremost begins at home with ones family. as Allah has instructed all Mankind. ''O you who have believed, protect yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is people and stones, over which are [appointed] angels, harsh and severe; they do not disobey Allah in what He commands them but do what they are commanded.'' [Surah Tahrim Ayah:6]

Wa'alaikumussalam brother.

I won't argue if this is the case. But if it is to spread da'wah is it still wrong? Just a food for thought. If it is, I will stop without doubt. I think I love and fear Allah far too much to be selfish just because I enjoy making a blog (even if it is for Islam). I would never go against my parents for trivial things, so :)

Please reply.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum sister

It should be known that obedience to your parents is waajib and disobeying them is from one of the greatest sins after Shirk.

Sister if you are the only one who is there to give da`wah through blogs etc, then it will be waajib for you to do so and it is not upon you to obey your parents. As the Messenger of Allaah :saw2: said: “There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim

But if there are others who are giving da`wah through blogs (which is the case), then it is not Fard upon you to take this role of giving da`wah through blogs (and is Mustahabb). And thus it will be waajib upon you to obey your parents in this regard.

I advise you, sister, to obey your parents in that which does not involve disobedience to Allaah. You may think that giving da`wah through blogs is a worthy cause (and no doubt it is), but if Allaah is not pleased with you through this act then it is something of great loss. Thus, it can never be the case that a person obeys Allaah through disobeying Him, Subhaanah.

The noble scholar, ash-Shaykh `Abdul Kareem al Khudayr (who is from the board of Major Scholars) mentioned that he recieves phone calls from mothers. The mothers cry to the shaykh about their problems, and he said that the son of some mothers worship Allaah in the night, attend islaamic lectures and induldge in much good, but when his mother asks him to drop her in a shop nearby, then the son does not obey the mother. The shaykh said that such a person will not be given Tawfeeq in mattares of this dunya or in the deen. It can be seen that such a person has not benefitted from the knowledge he has acquired (which will be an evidence against him on the day of Judgement).
As it can be seen: it is a common mistake, that people give precedence to something that is Mustahabb (sunnah) over that which is fard al `ayn (obeying parents).

Many of us are young and many times we think that we know better than our parents. It might be the case that we do, but it is from the teachings of this perfect Deen, that we humble ourselves to our parents in respect.

Sit down with your father, speak to him about this worthy cause. If he is not convinced, then obey him. Generally if parents are explained in a nice, gentle way... then things get across more easily to them.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

or what about he create a blog for you? you provide him the necessary material. in this way, you can spread Islam and he will not be hurt inshallah!

alf2

Islam is a way of life
2 sides..

1) Yes your father is being quite unreasonable, an Islamic blog would be a good thing masha allah.

2) Even though he is being unreasonable, it is your duty to do what he wishes until you are of an adult age and can make your own choices.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Sis, sit down and discuss this with your father - make a post in a Word document about Islam, and show it to him and ask him if you can make posts like this and post in a blog? Tell him you'll be showing him each post for his approval before you post it up. See what he says. If he still says no, then just drop the idea and move on. However, if he's convinced, make sure you don't do anything to drop the trust he's put in you. InshaAllah, do this and then let us know how it went.

complex_man

your father is too much. he should not be so strict. she should give some personal space to you. you can do whatever you want but be careful not to cross the limit that is set by islam.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Wa'alaikumussalam!

Do you think so? I feel the same, so it was great to hear someone voice it out. Still waiting for other's opinions on this matter, but I greatly appreciate your opinion, sis. :)

I had a look on your blog, and it was amazing! I'm going to add your name to the blog list, insha'allah! Very informative.

I have no idea why your father doensn't allow you creating an Islamic blog.Ask him first if he would allow you to create Islamic blog.Perhaps he might be against personal blogs.

As a married woman i have to obey my husband and he told me NO MORE DAWAH. yeah it was difficult yet i gave up doing dawah.at least i gave up the active way.Obedience to parents or husband is mandatory and dawah isn't.

Allah knows the best

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

your father is too much. he should not be so strict. she should give some personal space to you. you can do whatever you want but be careful not to cross the limit that is set by islam.
It isn't as though some of her legitimate Islaamic rights are being taken away here for anyone to say the sisters father is 'too much'. I dislike the way you've given the sister the go ahead to do whatever she wants to do and disobey her father, with you being a complete stranger and all that, its not yours or anyone elses place to be saying such things.

Doing something her father forbade her to do when it isn't fard, is crossing the limits Islaam set already.

Wa-salaam

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum.

Great advice MashaAllah. Nothing more to add.

Many of us are young and many times we think that we know better than our parents. It might be the case that we do, but it is from the teachings of this perfect Deen, that we humble ourselves to our parents in respect.

Sit down with your father, speak to him about this worthy cause. If he is not convinced, then obey him. Generally if parents are explained in a nice, gentle way... then things get across more easily to them.

^^ My advice as well. MashaAllah very good advice by this brother as well.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
^ Sis, why was your husband against dawah??

I would request my brothers and sisters on TTI to not ask others or themselves reveal information regarding their personal/private matters such as in this case ie between a sister and her husband.

JazakumAllahu Khayran

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

As a married woman i have to obey my husband and he told me NO MORE DAWAH. yeah it was difficult yet i gave up doing dawah.at least i gave up the active way.Obedience to parents or husband is mandatory and dawah isn't.

Allah knows the best

:wasalam:

Dawah can be supported in other ways as well ie other than doing direct one on one dawah. Alhamdulillah we have many organizations who propagate the message of Islam to the entire world such as TTI, Huda Tv etc etc and we can assist them financially (especially when they are in *need* of money) or with any other skills/capabilities that we may possess. There is also a great reward in such a contribution with the mercy of Allah azz zawajal.

lightofnur

Assalaamu `alaykum sister

It should be known that obedience to your parents is waajib and disobeying them is from one of the greatest sins after Shirk.

Sister if you are the only one who is there to give da`wah through blogs etc, then it will be waajib for you to do so and it is not upon you to obey your parents. As the Messenger of Allaah :saw2: said: “There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim

But if there are others who are giving da`wah through blogs (which is the case), then it is not Fard upon you to take this role of giving da`wah through blogs (and is Mustahabb). And thus it will be waajib upon you to obey your parents in this regard.

I advise you, sister, to obey your parents in that which does not involve disobedience to Allaah. You may think that giving da`wah through blogs is a worthy cause (and no doubt it is), but if Allaah is not pleased with you through this act then it is something of great loss. Thus, it can never be the case that a person obeys Allaah through disobeying Him, Subhaanah.

The noble scholar, ash-Shaykh `Abdul Kareem al Khudayr (who is from the board of Major Scholars) mentioned that he recieves phone calls from mothers. The mothers cry to the shaykh about their problems, and he said that the son of some mothers worship Allaah in the night, attend islaamic lectures and induldge in much good, but when his mother asks him to drop her in a shop nearby, then the son does not obey the mother. The shaykh said that such a person will not be given Tawfeeq in mattares of this dunya or in the deen. It can be seen that such a person has not benefitted from the knowledge he has acquired (which will be an evidence against him on the day of Judgement).
As it can be seen: it is a common mistake, that people give precedence to something that is Mustahabb (sunnah) over that which is fard al `ayn (obeying parents).

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Wa'alaikumussalam to all.
Brother, I understand this explanation. Like I said, if it goes against Islam, then I won't do it. The thing about my father is is that I have been open and honest to him before about good things and he has shunned those and rebuked me for it. From that point on, I decided I best keep things to myself, but seek advice from those who are knowledgeable on this, as my father is a bit too one-sided (his explanations are sometimes not sound, according to Islamic principles, in my opinion.)

:wasalam:,

or what about he create a blog for you? you provide him the necessary material. in this way, you can spread Islam and he will not be hurt inshallah!

Like I quoted to Brother Thariq, this is impossible (this is by experience). But I appreciate the suggestion!

That is why he reacted the way he did. He loves you and is protective of you. He knows that there are many bad men out there who can guess who you are from the way you describe yourself and your parents and can harass you.
Most people tend to do like their peers, especially when they're young. If you commit to being your own self and take the da`wa purpose of your blog seriously, your dad will see that and may even encourage you.
They are not trivial. They are real and they affect lives.
Make the blog private for now and ask your dad to read it after you make new posts. As he does, he will begin to see the benefit of the blog, without fearing the consequences, and may let you publish it. I bet he will be proud of his daughter's writing talent.

Brother, I have tried to convince myself that he is overprotective of me, but sometimes he can be unreasonable. Of course, I love him and will obey him. This is just an honest truth from a daughter who has long been observant to make up her own mind.
On the blog, I have never been in contact with men/women I don't know. I've also never revealed my identity, address, appearance, friends, name, etc. I talk about real things like how people with disabilities are often mistreated, about how to become a better person, about how hijab is a tool of modesty and for feminism itself. When I meant trivial, I mean talking about things like how a girl often feels when her friends don't talk to her, or when her studies are too hard, etc.
As I've explained to the people above, my dad isn't the sort. I will stress that I do love him. Brother, I do appreciate your time and explanation. It is very reasonable :)

:wasalam:

Dawah can be supported in other ways as well ie other than doing direct one on one dawah. Alhamdulillah we have many organizations who propagate the message of Islam to the entire world such as TTI, Huda Tv etc etc and we can assist them financially (especially when they are in *need* of money) or with any other skills/capabilities that we may possess. There is also a great reward in such a contribution with the mercy of Allah azz zawajal.

This is true. I try to take da'wah to a personal level like talking one-on-one, but I note that I always fare better when I write. People tend to listen more to what I have written, and Alhamdulillah, people are sending e-mails to me to ask about questions on Islam. I hope this doesn't sound like showing off :)

2 sides..

1) Yes your father is being quite unreasonable, an Islamic blog would be a good thing masha allah.

2) Even though he is being unreasonable, it is your duty to do what he wishes until you are of an adult age and can make your own choices.

Can I ask something? Is there a certain age where I can do things according to my will (Islamically, of course) without disobeying my dad, or will this rule I have to obey follow through all my life? Yikes.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Can I ask something? Is there a certain age where I can do things according to my will (Islamically, of course) without disobeying my dad, or will this rule I have to obey follow through all my life? Yikes.

There is NO age limit. Yes, you can do things by your own will. But if your father says NO, then you have to obey him: even if you are woman in your 50's and as long as it does not involve in the disobedience of Allaah.

I don't know if you know Shaykh `Aasim al-Hakeem (A lot of people from this forum know him)? The beloved brother has two wives, a LOT of children maa shaa'Allaah. But when we invite him over to London for giving lectures at conferences etc he approves of it and then says that he has to first seek permission from his mother! Seeking permission at this age? May Allaah reward him and make him from the righteous people.

And one will not understand this unless he/she becomes a parent and goes through the troubles of bringing up their own children. In the west, it is pretty common that young men in their 20's or even in their teens won't listen to their parents and disobey them because they are "adult" enough to make up their own minds. A person does not realize that his parents, especially the mother, are constantly worried about their children and their future. It is the parents that worry about us a lot, and how unfortunate are those who have lost their parents!

If only some of these westeners would speak to those Orphans and realize the importance of their parents.

If only we were to "truely" understand what our parents have gone through in bringing us up, we would honour them by having their feet on top of our heads! Unfortunately none of us do.

samiha

---------
Staff member

Ukhti, let me just begin by saying that what I will now state is my opinion and take on this; it's not as scholarly as the brothers have provided mashaAllaah, but more based on a personal outlook. And that resides on two matters.

The first is of course your father, and in this case I too would recommend listening to and obeying him. My father is also similarly weary of the Internet and the spreading of personal information. And at first some things were very difficult for me to accept, as it seemed so irrational in my mind. Yet at the end of the day when we do realize that it is our fathers' well wishing for us and concern for our protection that they do this, it's really not that hard to do just that little bit more. And you know that there is reward and much khayr in sacrificing a desire for something which is greater (i.e. obedience to your parents in something not forbidden).

And the second bit is... watching out for your intentions and desire for this blog. I say this with the most severe of hesitancy because this is something I struggle with myself a lot. The thing with intentions and desires, is that they are flighty and difficult to pinpoint, and need constant reinforcement. Such that, although I trust in you, when you mention things like wanting a large reading base, and that questions are being sent to you, I worry for you, as I would for myself. And this is not because you yourself would be inclined to feeling any pride in this, but Shaytaan is an enemy to us all.

It's amazing actually, that today I came across this quote that had me stop and think for a bit.

عَنْ بشر أَنَّهُ قِيلَ لَهُ: أَلا تُحَدِّث؟ قَالَ: أَنا أَشْتَهِي أَنْ أُحَدِّثَ, , وَإِذَا اشْتَهَيْتُ شَيْئًا تَرَكْتُهُ

It was said to Bashr (1) "Do you not engage in speech?" So he said " I desire to speak, and anything that I desire, I leave it (2)."

(1) - He is Shaikh al-Islaam, the imaam, muhaddith, ascetic, nurturer, example to be followed, Abu Nasr Bashr bin al-Haarith al-Maroozee al-Baghdaadee. He was born 152 after the hijrah. al-Imaam ath-Thahabee said that he used to be very critical of himself and he was from the foremost people in piety and sincerity. As a result of that he subsequently buried his books. He died on yaum al-Jum'ah in the month of Rabee'ah al-Awwal in the year 227 after hijrah at the age 75 years old. [Seer A'alaam an-Nublaa 10/469&476]

(2) - Taken from Where are we from the manners of the Salaf? By Abdul-al-Azeez bin Naasir al-Jaleel and Bihaa ad-Deen bin Faalih 'Aqeel. And its' original source is from Siyar A'lam an-Nubala 10/470.

I dont know, but this just struck me because it drew many parallels. Such like, there are many things in which Allaah subhanahu wa ta`ala gave us abilities, be it writing or speaking, but having acknowledged that, when we use them, is it by our desire that we do so? Like say are we doing it because we can... because we feel good at it and like the feeling of influencing people?

I mean, when I think of Imaam Ahmad ibn Hanbal rahimahullaah, and how although he had so much knowledge subhanAllaah and studied for so long, he did not begin formal teaching until the age of 40. Until that point he refrained from doing so - and not because he couldnt. And when I recall about certain amongst the Salaf, how they would hate that their words were written down, asking who were they... who would hesitate in saying anything without a sound basis of knowledge. It truly does make me think how we've come to that period of an abundance of speakers, but very few true scholars.

And to some extent it feels like it is because we are also a product of this society. A society where now everyone wants the most likes, the most thanks, the most reps. You can't watch the majority of youtube videos usually without someone asking for thumbs ups, or people striving to become the next 'viral' thing online. We have so much of the world now busy with getting friends on facebook, or followers on twitter just to broadcast inane things. Don't get me wrong, that's not what I'm saying would happen here, but just that our society has become geared in getting the biggest reaction, finding the most attention and drawing on it. And although that can be good, I also see its pitfalls. There is a times a certain loss of humility, and definitely with many - sadness when one does not reach the expected stage.

Anyways, Allaah knows best for each of us, but it's just some food for thought that I was thinking about, so I thought I'd put it up as well. My personal conclusion has been that sometimes, although da`wah is a praiseworthy and good field no doubt, and we all want to aid it in whatever way we can, sometimes it is better to busy oneself in the field of learning and acquiring knowledge, than being hasty in wanting to distribute it. And yes, although blogs can facilitate this sometimes and help bring what you learn to others, even if you cannot do so, you can make your own records and journals, keep your own accounts, and at least have that satisfaction and benefit in learning. It honestly is a protection of ones intentions, because this way it can really be for nothing else.

So, if one door closes, don't take that to mean the end or be sad, but look for other options inshaAllaah. And trust me, they're out there. Bide your time, keep learning and be patient with what you have and one day ukhti, I pray Allaah blesses you and all of us with the ability to bring good to the Ummah through our efforts.

Forgive me if I may have said anything of offense, and if I'm a mad rambler. BarakAllaahu feeki!

wasalaamu `alaykum

lightofnur

There is NO age limit. Yes, you can do things by your own will. But if your father says NO, then you have to obey him: even if you are woman in your 50's and as long as it does not involve in the disobedience of Allaah.

I don't know if you know Shaykh `Aasim al-Hakeem (A lot of people from this forum know him)? The beloved brother has two wives, a LOT of children maa shaa'Allaah. But when we invite him over to London for giving lectures at conferences etc he approves of it and then says that he has to first seek permission from his mother! Seeking permission at this age? May Allaah reward him and make him from the righteous people.

And one will not understand this unless he/she becomes a parent and goes through the troubles of bringing up their own children. In the west, it is pretty common that young men in their 20's or even in their teens won't listen to their parents and disobey them because they are "adult" enough to make up their own minds. A person does not realize that his parents, especially the mother, are constantly worried about their children and their future. It is the parents that worry about us a lot, and how unfortunate are those who have lost their parents!

If only some of these westeners would speak to those Orphans and realize the importance of their parents.

If only we were to "truly" understand what our parents have gone through in bringing us up, we would honour them by having their feet on top of our heads! Unfortunately none of us do.

Thanks very much, brother, for the answer. I understand this, believe me, I do. I truly understand the pain and responsibilities of parents, and I make sure not to argue as much as I can. Everytime I feel upset with my father's instructions, I think back to the time when they took care of me and I sigh and accept it; because, truly, I do appreciate my parents' love for me. I can't really explain my dilemma with my father without saying negative things about him (it's not backbiting, it's telling the truth, but I don't like to say it anyhow); I've firmly made up my mind to never reveal the worst of his actions, as that is between him and Allah, and he is a good parent, if not a very, very strict one. If I had to sum it out without being negative, it's just that he's not religiously inclined, therefore it's hard for him to understand my actions towards Islam.

As a side note, I am in true awe of the brother you have mentioned. May Allah Bless him for his dutiful responsibility.

Ukhti, let me just begin by saying that what I will now state is my opinion and take on this; it's not as scholarly as the brothers have provided mashaAllaah, but more based on a personal outlook. And that resides on two matters.

The first is of course your father, and in this case I too would recommend listening to and obeying him. My father is also similarly weary of the Internet and the spreading of personal information. And at first some things were very difficult for me to accept, as it seemed so irrational in my mind. Yet at the end of the day when we do realize that it is our fathers' well wishing for us and concern for our protection that they do this, it's really not that hard to do just that little bit more. And you know that there is reward and much khayr in sacrificing a desire for something which is greater (i.e. obedience to your parents in something not forbidden).

And the second bit is... watching out for your intentions and desire for this blog. I say this with the most severe of hesitancy because this is something I struggle with myself a lot. The thing with intentions and desires, is that they are flighty and difficult to pinpoint, and need constant reinforcement. Such that, although I trust in you, when you mention things like wanting a large reading base, and that questions are being sent to you, I worry for you, as I would for myself. And this is not because you yourself would be inclined to feeling any pride in this, but Shaytaan is an enemy to us all.

It's amazing actually, that today I came across this quote that had me stop and think for a bit.

عَنْ بشر أَنَّهُ قِيلَ لَهُ: أَلا تُحَدِّث؟ قَالَ: أَنا أَشْتَهِي أَنْ أُحَدِّثَ, , وَإِذَا اشْتَهَيْتُ شَيْئًا تَرَكْتُهُ

It was said to Bashr (1) "Do you not engage in speech?" So he said " I desire to speak, and anything that I desire, I leave it (2)."

(1) - He is Shaikh al-Islaam, the imaam, muhaddith, ascetic, nurturer, example to be followed, Abu Nasr Bashr bin al-Haarith al-Maroozee al-Baghdaadee. He was born 152 after the hijrah. al-Imaam ath-Thahabee said that he used to be very critical of himself and he was from the foremost people in piety and sincerity. As a result of that he subsequently buried his books. He died on yaum al-Jum'ah in the month of Rabee'ah al-Awwal in the year 227 after hijrah at the age 75 years old. [Seer A'alaam an-Nublaa 10/469&476]

(2) - Taken from Where are we from the manners of the Salaf? By Abdul-al-Azeez bin Naasir al-Jaleel and Bihaa ad-Deen bin Faalih 'Aqeel. And its' original source is from Siyar A'lam an-Nubala 10/470.

I dont know, but this just struck me because it drew many parallels. Such like, there are many things in which Allaah subhanahu wa ta`ala gave us abilities, be it writing or speaking, but having acknowledged that, when we use them, is it by our desire that we do so? Like say are we doing it because we can... because we feel good at it and like the feeling of influencing people?

I mean, when I think of Imaam Ahmad ibn Hanbal rahimahullaah, and how although he had so much knowledge subhanAllaah and studied for so long, he did not begin formal teaching until the age of 40. Until that point he refrained from doing so - and not because he couldnt. And when I recall about certain amongst the Salaf, how they would hate that their words were written down, asking who were they... who would hesitate in saying anything without a sound basis of knowledge. It truly does make me think how we've come to that period of an abundance of speakers, but very few true scholars.

wasalaamu `alaykum

Wa'alaikumussalam.

Sister, I appreciate the lengthy answer you have given! I'm touched that you would reply out of such concern. *Hugs*

I really understand my father, but please refer to my answer to Brother Thariq, because I wouldn't like to repeat that bit. Your personal outlook, as you've said, is comforting!

Your mention on intentions struck me. Before this I had prioritized my intentions, so that just because in the main I had said I want the blog done for the Muslim ummah and non-Muslims to read for the better, it didn't mean I wanted that alone. I did want it as a way of expressing a better view of the world and Islam, in a creative way. So I reinforced my intentions again. Yes, I would like a large reading base, and true, Shaytan is an enemy to us all.

But really, I do think that writing is a gift that Allah has given me, and to know that some people around the world are sharing those views is something that makes me happy, not really prideful. Because I know if my views have ever been shared by others, it is Allah's doing. And not mine alone. Also if intentions that cause pride was ever the case, then how would other inspiring people set up blogs? Theire views would never reach us because they are scared of their intentions. Maybe what I'm pointing out is I'm holding on to tawakkal, so my heart does not waver. I read a verse somewhere, "Verily, Allah does not love the proud ones." But sis, please don't get offended, your view is truly solid and a great reminder, because we all have to be careful of our intentions.

This that you mention:

And to some extent it feels like it is because we are also a product of this society. A society where now everyone wants the most likes, the most thanks, the most reps. You can't watch the majority of youtube videos usually without someone asking for thumbs ups, or people striving to become the next 'viral' thing online. We have so much of the world now busy with getting friends on facebook, or followers on twitter just to broadcast inane things. Don't get me wrong, that's not what I'm saying would happen here, but just that our society has become geared in getting the biggest reaction, finding the most attention and drawing on it. And although that can be good, I also see its pitfalls. There is a times a certain loss of humility, and definitely with many - sadness when one does not reach the expected stage.

Thumbs up by a hundred! ;)
You've hit the spot, you've highlighted something that is truly rampant in the society.

Anyways, Allaah knows best for each of us, but it's just some food for thought that I was thinking about, so I thought I'd put it up as well. My personal conclusion has been that sometimes, although da`wah is a praiseworthy and good field no doubt, and we all want to aid it in whatever way we can, sometimes it is better to busy oneself in the field of learning and acquiring knowledge, than being hasty in wanting to distribute it. And yes, although blogs can facilitate this sometimes and help bring what you learn to others, even if you cannot do so, you can make your own records and journals, keep your own accounts, and at least have that satisfaction and benefit in learning. It honestly is a protection of ones intentions, because this way it can really be for nothing else.

This piece of advice truly soothed my heart! That's what I intend to do right now, since I'm choosing an alternative. Perhaps there are other avenues to this. Thank you, thank you for this!

So, if one door closes, don't take that to mean the end or be sad, but look for other options inshaAllaah. And trust me, they're out there. Bide your time, keep learning and be patient with what you have and one day ukhti, I pray Allaah blesses you and all of us with the ability to bring good to the Ummah through our efforts.

Forgive me if I may have said anything of offense, and if I'm a mad rambler. BarakAllaahu feeki!

Well, there's something we both share, then. You may have noticed my more than short reply, so we are BOTH mad ramblers - with a cause. I will look for other options, and I do believe my father imposed a restriction about a blog because he felt my personal life would fall into the picture, but I do know not to even mention my name, let alone reveal my personal life in a blog for all to reveal! I would have never written a blog with any personal info to begin with! Amin to your du'a's! Thanks a lot sister :)))))

You have said nothing short of wise!

Brother, I understand this, too. Thanks for this bit. But just a side note again ... people's views differ from one another. There are blogs out there, and yet some touch the hearts of people, some actually deflect others, and some don't have any effect whatsoever. I won't take pride or be vain and say I have a totally different view that will capture people's hearts, but perhaps, just perhaps, my writing has some substance that some can relate to and others cannot .... Just a food for thought. Thanks again for the ruling though.

May Allah Bless those who have read and answered! And forgive me for the late reply!