Question: Can I pray a Sunnah Prayer after an Obligatory Prayer ?

Islam!!yay

Salam

So after praying Asr , I prayed a two rakat prayer because I felt like doing it and someone told me that I am not allowed to pray an additional prayer after Asr.

So my question is can I pray an additional two rakat after praying any Obligatory prayer ?

Thank You and May Allah SWT Shower His Blessings upon you all!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

I came across a hadith that the Prophet :saw: forbade praying anything after Asr. I'll try and look it up, InshaAllah.

Otherwise, Sunnahs are prayed after Dhuhr, Maghrib and Isha. I think after Fajr also, one doesn't pray any nawafil/sunnah. Let me look for the hadith....

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
So after praying Asr , I prayed a two rakat prayer because I felt like doing it and someone told me that I am not allowed to pray an additional prayer after Asr.

So my question is can I pray an additional two rakat after praying any Obligatory prayer ?

Thank You and May Allah SWT Shower His Blessings upon you all!

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Brother, since Allah has forbidden for us to pray after Asr salah. Then whatever the case we are supposed to accept it and not be among the people of disobedience. Noo’dhubillah

I hope the below article would be helpful to you.In shaa Allah

Times when it is forbidden to pray

Praise be to Allaah.
There are times when it is forbidden to pray. They are as follows:
From dawn until sunrise

From sunrise until the sun has risen to the height of a spear above the horizon; nowadays this is regarded as equivalent to twelve minutes after sunrise, but to be on the safe side one should make it a quarter of an hour.

When the sun is overhead at noon, until it has passed its zenith

From ‘Asr prayer until sunset

When the sun starts to set until it is completely set

These times may be summed up more briefly as follows:

From dawn until the sun has risen to the height of a spear

When it is directly overhead at noon until it has passed its zenith

From ‘Asr prayer until the sun has set completely.

When we say from dawn, we mean that one should not offer voluntary prayers after the adhaan of Fajr except the Sunnah of Fajr. This is the view of the Hanbalis. The Shaafa’is are of the view that the prohibition has to do with Fajr prayer itself, so it is not forbidden to offer voluntary prayers between the adhaan and iqaamah, rather it is forbidden to offer voluntary prayers after offering the obligatory prayer of Fajr.

This is the more correct view, but one should not offer any voluntary prayer after dawn apart from the two Sunnah rak’ahs of Fajr, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) only prayed two brief rak’ahs after dawn had broken.
See al-Sharh al-Mumti’ by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 4/160.

This is indicated by the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (547) and Muslim (1367) from Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: Some trustworthy men bore witness in my presence, the most trustworthy of whom in my view was ‘Umar, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade praying after Fajr until the sun had risen and after ‘Asr until the sun had set.”

Al-Bukhaari (548) and Muslim (1371) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the top edge of the sun has risen, then delay praying until it has risen above the horizon, and when the lower part of the sun has set, delay praying until it is fully set.”

Al-Bukhaari (551) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “There is no prayer after Fajr until the sun has risen fully, and no prayer after ‘Asr until the sun has set.”
Muslim (1373) narrated that ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir al-Juhani said: “There are three times at which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to pray or to bury our dead: when the sun has clearly started to rise until it is fully risen, when it is directly overhead at midday until it has passed its zenith, and when the sun starts to set until it has fully set.”

And Allaah knows best.

Source: http://islamqa.info/en/ref/48998

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Brother, also wanted to make this point clear. We can pray our missed salah due to forgetfulness or sleep even at the forbidden times....Below is the evidence from the light of Quran and sunnah

Making up prayers at times when prayer is disallowed

People say that no kada(due)prayer can be offered immediaely after the 'Asr' prayer. Please help by giving me a comprehensive answer regarding this saying.
Praise be to Allaah
Firstly – there are some times at which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) disallowed prayer. These are:
1 – From after Fajr prayer until the sun has appeared and risen to the height of a spear, i.e., approximately fifteen minutes. (al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/162).
2 – The time when the sun is at its zenith in the middle of the sky. This is a short time before the time for Zuhr prayer begins, approximately one-quarter of an hour or twenty minutes. (Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 11/286). Some of the scholars said that it was shorter than that. Ibn Qaasim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said that it is a brief time period, not even long enough to pray, only enough to say the takbeer to start the prayer. (Haashiyat Ibn Qaasim ‘ala’l-Rawd al-Murabba’, 2/245)
3 – After ‘Asr prayer until the sun sets.
These three times were mentioned in many ahaadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade praying at these times. These ahaadeeth include the following:
1 – Al-Bukhaari (586) and Muslim (728) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘There is no prayer after ‘Asr prayer until the sun has set, and no prayer after Fajr prayer until the sun has risen.’”
2 – Muslim (832) narrated that ‘Amr ibn ‘Abasah al-Sulami (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I said, ‘O Prophet of Allaah, tell me what Allaah has taught you and I do not know, tell me about the prayer.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Pray Subh (Fajr) prayer, then do not pray until the sun has appeared and risen… then pray for your prayer is witnessed and attended (by the angels), until the shadow of a spear points due north – which is the time when the sun is in the middle of the sky – then stop praying, for at that time Hell is stoked up. When the shadow turns – which is the beginning of the time for Zuhr – then pray, for your prayer is witnessed and attended (by the angels), until you pray ‘Asr. Then stop praying until the sun sets…”
Secondly: what is meant by making up prayers (qada’) is doing the prayer after the time for that prayer is over. The made-up prayer may be either fard (obligatory) or naafil (supererogatory).
Fard prayers: The Muslims must pray regularly at the times defined by Allaah for each prayer. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”[al-Nisa’ 4:103]
Delaying the prayer until its time is over without a reason or excuse is haraam, and it is a major sin.
If the Muslim has an excuse, such as sleeping or forgetting, and he was not able to do the prayer on time, then he must make up the prayer when that reason no longer applies, even if that is at one of the times when prayer is disallowed. This is the view of the majority of scholars. See al-Mughni, 2/515.
The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever sleeps and misses the prayer or forgets it, let him pray it when he remembers.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 597; Muslim, 684)
Naafil prayers: the scholars differed with regard to making them up at times when prayer is disallowed. The
correct view is that they should be made up. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him). See al-Majmoo’, 4/170. It was also the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him), as stated in al-Fataawa, 23/127. This is indicated by a number of ahaadeeth, such as:
The report narrated by al-Bukhaari (1233) and Muslim (834) from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her), that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed two rak’ahs after ‘Asr, and she asked him about that. He said: “Some people from ‘Abd al-Qays came to me and distracted me from praying two rak’ahs after Zuhr, so I did them now.”
Ibn Maajah (1154) narrated that Qays ibn ‘Amr said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw a man praying two rak'ahs after he had prayed Fajr prayer. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Are you praying Fajr twice?” The man said to him, “I did not pray the two rak’ahs that come before it, so I prayed them now.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent. This was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah (984). Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent indicates that it is permissible. (al-Mughni, 2/532).
And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and grant him peace.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Actually sister, I have also come across hadiths where it is a SUNNAH to pray after Asr. I have read a hadith where Aisha (radhiAllah Taala Anha) said the Prophet always read two rakahs after Asr, and another hadith where the Prophet was praying 2 rakah after Asr and a companion came and said 'But you said not to pray after Asr' and the Prophet :saw: replied these were his two Sunnah of Zuhr he had missed which he was making up..

I am searching for the authentic sources.

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

well sister tabassum, since those hadeeths are also reported by Bukhari and Muslim.What i feel is, lets not get into dispute and fights rather we will follow as per our knowledge and understanding from the light of Quran and sunnah. In shaa Allah *smile*

O Allah! I ask you to give us the true understanding of Deen and forgive us for our shortcomings....Ameen ya rabbul 'alamin

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
For what it is worth, my book "The Beginner's book of Salah" says:

Times when we should not pray Nafl Salah
Between the Fard of Salatul Asr and Sunset

This is an important question, many of the brothers are praying after Asr, though if it is Qada or what I do not know. And an example, if I arrive to the masjid for maghrib and it is still some time away, so the sun is not setting, I will still pray 2 rakah for the masjid. If I am wrong, then I must stop this immediately, but if it is permitted, and I withhold Ibadah

Edit:
Seems this topic has been extensively discussed even on TTI before: http://www.turntoislam.com/threads/a-neglected-sunnan-–-two-rakats-after-asr.65014/
That was a good thread to read, it clarified things for me.
:jazaak:
BarakAllah feekum

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
This is an important question, many of the brothers are praying after Asr, though if it is Qada or what I do not know. And an example, if I arrive to the masjid for maghrib and it is still some time away, so the sun is not setting, I will still pray 2 rakah for the masjid. If I am wrong, then I must stop this immediately, but if it is permitted, and I withhold Ibadah

Assalam alaikum wa rahmathullah

Offering Tahiyyah al-Masjid Whenever One Enters the Mosque
Sheikh Khâlid b. Sâlih al-Muwayni`

Abû Qatâdah al-Sulamî relates that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “If one of you enters the mosque, he should not sit down without offering two units of prayer.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

In another narration from Abû Qatâdah al-Sulamî, relates that he entered the mosque and sat down among the people. Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said to him: “What has prevented you from offering two units of prayer before sitting down?”

Abû al-Qatâdah replied: “O Messenger of Allah, I saw you and everyone else sitting down.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) then said: ““If one of you enters the mosque, he should not sit down without offering two units of prayer.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

It is a Sunnah to offer two units of prayer as a greeting to the mosque – referred to as tahiyyah al-masjid – regardless of what time you enter the mosque. Al-Nawawî writes in his commentary on Sahîh Muslim:
This hadîth shows that it is recommended for us to greet the mosque with two units of prayer. Muslims are unanimously agreed that it is Sunnah to do so. Al-Qâdî `Iyâd attributes to Dâwûd (al-Zâhirî) and his followers the opinion that it is obligatory.

The hadîth certainly makes it clear that it is disliked to sit down in the mosque without first offering a prayer. This dislike is only to the level of disapproval. It is merely preferable to offer this prayer.

The hadîth shows that it is preferable to do so whatever time one enters the mosque. This is the ruling adopted by our (Shâfi`î) school of law as well as by a number of other scholars.

Abû Hanîfah and al-Awzâ`î, by contrast, disliked offering this prayer at times when prayer is generally forbidden. Our scholars disagree by saying that the prohibition at those times applies only to prayers that do not have a particular reason for offering them. We see that the Prophet (peace be upon him) made up after `Asr the two-unit Sunnah prayer for Zuhr that he had missed. This is a time when prayers are generally forbidden, so the Prophet’s action narrows down this prohibition to prayers that have no reason preceding them.

In fact, he never left out tahiyyah al-masjid under any circumstances. He even ordered a person to get up and pray who came in the mosque and sat down while he was delivering the Friday sermon. He told the man to get up and offer two units of prayer. This is in spite of the fact that it is forbidden to offer prayers while the sermon is going on – except, that is, for tahiyyah al-masjid.

If there had been any time that tahiyyah al-masjid would have been overlooked, it would have been at this time. The man had already sat down – and tahiyyah al-masjid is supposed to be performed before sitting down – but this man did not know the ruling. The Prophet (peace be upon him) interrupted his sermon to tell the man to get up and pray. If it were not a very important to offer this prayer at all times, the Prophet (peace be upon him) would not have shown so much concern about it.​
The hadîth about the Friday sermon that al-Nawawî refers to is as follows:

Jâbir relates that Sulayk al-Ghatafânî came on Friday while Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) was delivering the sermon. He sat down. So the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Get up and offer two units of prayer, and be brief about it.” Then he said: “If anyone of you arrives on Friday while the imam is delivering the sermon, he should offer two units of prayer, but be brief about it.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1166) and Sahîh Muslim (875) – the version quoted is that of Muslim]

We should understand that it is not necessary to have the express intention of offering a prayer called “tahiyyah al-masjid”. What matters is to follow the hadîth and offer at least two units of prayer before taking a seat in the mosque. It will be enough to offer the Sunnah prayers that one performs before the obligatory prayer. Also, if one commences with the obligatory prayer immediately upon entering the mosque, that will be enough. What is important is not to sit down directly, without offering at least two units of prayer.

Al-Nawawî writes in his commentary:
It is not necessary for the person to have the express intention of offering tahiyyah a-masjid. Any two-unit Sunnah prayer or obligatory prayer will do.

It will not be enough – according to our school of thought – to offer a funeral prayer, a prostration of thanks, or prostration of recitation. Also, it will not be enough to offer a single unit of prayer, even with the intention of greeting the mosque with it. This is because the wording of the hadîth clearly states two units of prayer.​
And Allah knows best.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
... It will be enough to offer the Sunnah prayers that one performs before the obligatory prayer. Also, if one commences with the obligatory prayer immediately upon entering the mosque, that will be enough. ...
I did not know either of those points. I learned something, alhamdulillah
:jazaak:

hilal.ahmad

Actually there r two views:
Imam Abu Hanifa's RA view is dat we cant offer prayer after Asr but there r also some scholars dat says we can

Islam!!yay

There is no need to imply that I am "disobedient" sister afrarzk. I just came here to get peoples opinion because I know some have different view points.

And just for future reference can you guy pleeease stop copying a LONG article and paste it here, its very discouraging. I didnt read any LONG articles that was pasted here because they were long and hard to understand. I would have preferred if someone summarized or just explain to me the relevant information and cite the source of the article.

Since nobody can agree on the subject I will keep praying two rakat after an obligatory prayer and Allah SWT Knows Best.
But Thank You all for answering my question and May Allah SWT Bless you all Insha'Allah!

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleikum

From what i read in hadith, prophet Mohamed saws try to advice us to not pray when the sun is setting or rising, so when i pray Asr immediately after the adhan, sometimes i pray 2 short rakkat sunnah but if happens to delay a bit Asr, i just pray the obligatory prayer because the sun is starting to set at this time.

,,,,,,,,,,Ibn Hajr (may Allah have mercy on him) said, “ To cling to these narrations establish the permissibility to offer a supererogatory prayer after Asr in any respect as long as it isn’t intended to be done during sunset.” [ Fath 2/85]
And Allah knows best.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
Forgive me brother as I took the thread off topic, from can you offer 2 Sunnah rakahs after any prayer to can you offer any rakahs after Asr. You asked a simple question, and while the answer is not straightforward, it was not helped by discussing something slightly different.

The thread that was linked to answers yes, it is a Sunnah to pray 2 rakahs after asr and gives the explanation well. It also indicates that it is a neglected sunnah, so many may not be aware of it. I suspect Br Hilal is correct that there is more than one view, and there is no one exclusive answer.

Forgive me also for not returning the salam. I was rushed while I was posting earlier.

wa alaikum asalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

:wasalam:

و عليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

hilal.ahmad

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

'Al-Sunan', 'al Ratiba' are of two kinds.
1- Confirmed sunnah. This kind includes: Four Raka'ahs before al-Zuhra and two after it, two Rak'ahs after al-Maghrib, two Raka'hs after al-Isha and two Rak'ahs before al-Fajr. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said:"Whoever performs twelve Rak'ahs every day and night, Allah will build for him a house in Paradise." [ al-Tirmizi ]
2- Unconfirmed Sunnah: This kind includes four Rak'ahs before al-Asr, two before al-Magrib and two Rak'ah before al-Isha'.
As for the night prayers, it is perform in sets of two Rak'ah as recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim from Aisha (RAA).
Al-Tirmizi reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) used to perform eleven Rak'ahs between al-Isah and al-Fajr and he performed them in sets of two Rak'ah, ending each set with salam.
So, whoever adheres to the above-stated number, that is better; but if one increases or decreases, there is not harm.
Allah knows best.

Sister u can ask ur question to islamweb.com . In this site, there is a committee of specialists that is responsible for preparing, checking and approving the Fatwa. This committee comprises a group of licentiate graduates from the Islamic University, Al-Imaam Muhammad Bin Sa’oud Islamic University in Saudi Arabia, and graduates who studied Islamic sciences from scholars at Mosques and other Islamic educational institues in Yemen and Mauritania. This special committee is headed by Dr. ‘Abdullaah Al-Faqeeh, specialist in Jurisprudence and Arabic language.

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
There is no need to imply that I am "disobedient" sister afrarzk. I just came here to get peoples opinion because I know some have different view points.

And just for future reference can you guy pleeease stop copying a LONG article and paste it here, its very discouraging. I didnt read any LONG articles that was pasted here because they were long and hard to understand. I would have preferred if someone summarized or just explain to me the relevant information and cite the source of the article.

OH!! Well akhi, I didn’t really intend or pinpoint specifically at you rather I meant it generally. I apologize if my words offended you in anyways.

And about the long articles, I always find them encouraging and enhancing our knowledge and Subhan Allah! didn’t know that you find it as discouraging. Brother, why don’t we think it positively? May be you are not interested in reading them but what if someone else have really benefitted or gained something from those articles? And just because of that we will also be rewarded right? Cuz you started up the thread and others (including me) did try to share the knowledge we gained. Alhamdulillah! Allah is All Merciful

And Allah knows best.

May Allah guide us all to the straight path and grant us the criterion, which enables us to differentiate between right and wrong
O Allah, I ask you to fill our heart with true enlightenment, wisdom, understanding and knowledge.. Ameen ya samee’ ya baseer.

Ron-Kid

HasbunAllahu wa ni`mal Wakil '
Salam Alaykum Islam!!yay

The conclusion from this thread implies that you may offer your missed prayers even after Asr but before the sun set.

Please understand this thing, whenever you ask a question about Islam do not. expect a one liner answer. All the replies above are long yet authentic.

You will only end up gaining some real good knowledge from it.

Oops! Hope my reply is not tooo long dear... im kidding ok

Remember me and every Muslim in your supplications.

May Allah guide and protect all of us...Ameen Ya Aleem Al-Hakeem