Can we use a toothbrush/toothpaste while fasting?

ama6621

Assalam Alaikum,
I apologise if this has already been asked, but can someone tell me if we can brush our teeth using a toothbrush and toothpaste while fasting? I have heard several different views that it is not allowed/allowed but not recommended/not allowed so please mention the source if you have an answer.

Thank you very much. May Allah bless you all and Ramadan Mubarak to everyone.

Assalam Alaikum

massi

:salam2:
I have read many times this question and the answer. it's allowed to use the toothbrush when you are fasting or the siwaq but you must be caful and don't swallow the water .:SMILY346:

Steve940

Question:
Is it permissible to brush one's teeth using toothpaste when fasting? As far as I know, it is permissible as long as the toothpaste is not swallowed. Please give your input on this.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about using toothpaste whilst fasting. He said: there is nothing wrong with that so long as one is careful to avoid swallowing any of it, just as it is prescribed in Islam for the fasting person to use the siwaak (tooth-stick)

Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 4/247

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

… This leads us to the question: Is it permissible to use a toothbrush and toothpaste whilst fasting or not?

The answer is that it is permitted, but it is preferable not to use them because the toothpaste is too strong and may go down into the throat. Instead of doing that during the day, one should do it at night.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’ by Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 6/407, 408

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

I prefer not to use toothpaste while fasting, because even after the toothpaste is washed out, you can still taste the mint or flavor of some tooth pastes. And if you can taste it, it's there, which means you might swallow it. But I sometimes take unnecessary measures to avoid some things which may not be necessary. And Allah knows best.

lions_den1

Ahle Sunnah wal Jama
There are opinions to say that using toothpaste during fasting to brush your teeth is allowed, but i follow the opinion of the scholars who say it's not allowed (to use tooth paste) just the miswak (tree root tooth brush) on it's own. As the messenger of Allah (pbuh) used the siwak while he was fasting.

Also there is a sahih hadith in which the messenger of Allah said "The smell that emmits from the mouth of the one who if fasting is more beloved to Allah (swt) than musk" (Bukhari)

:mashallah:

Slave-of-Allah

Assalaamu Alaykum

Hope you are in the best of health and iman InshaAllah.

This is exactly what I have learnt in my Ramadan course today:

In itself it is permissible to use toothpaste while fasting. However, if even a little of the actual toothpaste goes down your throat, even if indirectly by affecting the saliva, it would invalidate the fast.

One should therefore avoid using toothpaste while fasting and if forced to should use only a very small amount, and brush in such a way that one rids one's mouth of all traces of toothpaste with reasonable surety.

Also there is a sahih hadith in which the messenger of Allah said "The smell that emmits from the mouth of the one who if fasting is more beloved to Allah (swt) than musk" (Bukhari)

I’ve learnt this Hadith too :) MashAllah. This clearly shows the importance of fasting and the fact that Allah (swt) personally Himself rewards the person who fasts. This is something that is for Him, not for anyone else but for Allah (swt) alone.

Ya Allah! Make our love for You the most beloved thing to each and every one of us and make our fear for you the most fearful thing for all of us. Remove from us all the worldly needs and wants by instilling a passion for meeting You.

Ya Allah! Forgive us and guide us!

Ameen.

Kindly remember me in your du’as InshaAllah.

Wasalaam.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Ya Allah! Make our love for You the most beloved thing to each and every one of us and make our fear for you the most fearful thing for all of us. Remove from us all the worldly needs and wants by instilling a passion for meeting You.

Ya Allah! Forgive us and guide us!
Ameen Ameen:tti_sister:
For me personally after brushing my teeth I get thirsty...

salam

milbes12345

yes you can

yes you can although it is recommended that you dont and if you do you cant go to far back and if you swallow some your fast will be broken

also there is a hadith where the prophet said during Ramadan when people are fasting allah loves the ones with bad breath for being so humble