could some1 help me out?

sister purified

:salam2:
yesterday i was asked by a freind of mine,about the rulings regarding self inflicting pain on oneself..she saw in some ritual somewhere certain people claiming to be muslims belong to some sect doing some sort of piercing the body on the arms and legs,while chanting something claiming they werent experiencing pain because they had some sort of holy something inside them..
i wanted to find out the rulings about self inflicting pain with solid referances from qura'an and hadiths..i know it is haram to do so but i needed solid referances to give it to her hand..some1 help me out?
thnaks in advance..
:wasalam:

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
I think you are talking about shia's rituals on Asyura 10. There are few Hadith concerning bid'ah, following may helps you:

The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) said: "Every innovation is misguidance and going astray" Reported by Abu Daawood (no. 4607), at-Tirmidhee (no. 2676) and it is saheeh. Ibn Hajr authenticated it Takhreej Ahaadeeth Ibn ul-Haajib (1/137).

And he (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) also said: "… and every innovation is misguidance and all misguidance is in the Hellfire." Reported by an-Nasaa'ee (1/224) from Jaabir bin Abdullaah and it is saheeh as declared by Shaikh ul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah in Majmoo' ul-Fataawaa (3/58).

As far I can remember, only in hindu they have this kind of self inflicting pain in the name of repenting from own's sins. This act certainly not authorised in Islam.

abu'muhammad

Some Sufis pierce themselves with rods of iron, saying, “O my grandfather!” So the shayaateen come to them and help them, because they are seeking the help of someone other than Allaah . Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whosoever turns away (blinds himself) from the remembrance of the Most Beneficent (Allaah), We appoint for him a shaytaan (devil) to be a qareen (intimate companion) for him.”
[al-Zukhruf 43:36]

The true friends of Allaah (awliya’) are not necessarily known for performing astounding feats. On the contrary, they are the ones who worship Allaah in the manner that He has prescribed, and not by doing acts of bid’ah. The true awliya’ or friends of Allaah are those whom our Lord has described in the hadeeth qudsi narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh (5/2384) from Abu Hurayrah, who said:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah said, ‘Whoever shows enmity towards a friend (wali) of Mine, I declare war against him. My slave does not draw close to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties that I have enjoined on him, and My slave continues to draw close to Me with supererogatory (naafil) acts, so that I will love him. When I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.’”

islamqa

nori suja'i

Wa'eleikum salam,
Those who claimed that they're muslim but hurting themselves are considered ignorant muslim as they never learn the true law of Islam.
Wallahu alam.

palestine

Servant of Allah
Asalamu alaykum wrwb. Sister, tell your friend who asked you this in a kind manner that Allah swt says in the Quran: "On the Day when every soul will be confronted with all the good it has done, and all the evil it has done, it will wish there were a great distance between it and its evil. But Allah cautions you (To remember) Himself. And Allah is full of kindness to those that serve Him."
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #30)

At the end of this verse, the words and Allah is full of kindness to those that serve Him stick out. Allah swt is filled with kindness. Allah swt with His kindness would not order and has NOT ORDERED that people cut themselves. Those who do so, are either doing it out of ignorance or out of a ritual from THEIR CULTURE, NOT FROM ISLAM. A person may claim to be a Muslim but that does not mean that they fully practice Islam. They are INDIVIDUALS and THEY CHOOSE FOR THEMSELVES MANY THINGS WHICH ARE NOT FROM ISLAM. Islam is perfect, and Muslims are not. We are humans, we sin and err and that is why we should continously ask for forgiveness. There are deviated sects that claim to be the "right" sect and often they mislead people. So kindly explain to your friend, that this practice is no where mentioned in the Quran or hadiths( it is not from islam). Allah swt tells us not to kill our nafs or souls because we are forbidden to do so.

Allah swt says in the Quran: " And those who, having done something to be ashamed of, or wronged their own souls, earnestly bring Allah to mind, and ask for forgiveness for their sins,- and who can forgive sins except Allah.- and are never obstinate in persisting knowingly in (the wrong) they have done.
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #135)

Allah swt also says in the Quran: Whatever good, (O man!) happens to thee, is from Allah. but whatever evil happens to thee, is from thy (own) soul. and We have sent thee as an apostle to (instruct) mankind. And enough is Allah for a witness.
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #79)

and He also again says : Contend not on behalf of such as betray their own souls; for Allah loveth not one given to perfidy and crime:
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #107)

In this above verse Allah swt is telling us not betray our own SOULS. So how then will a person who truly believes in Allah swt cut or kill himself.

Sister i'm still not done searching for solid hadiths and quran verses. i'll write more as soon as i do. and i'm sorry i was not much help to you.

sister purified

jazakaAllah khair sister palestine for all this help..more is only welcome..:hijabi:
wd prayers for you and ur family and our ummah..