Difference between Egyptian Arabic and Gulf Arabic..

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Assalam alaikum.

I was wondering what the differences are between Egyptian and Gulf Arabic. Some differences I already know are that in the Egyptian spoken language, the "Q" sound is dropped out of many words, and instead of using the definite article "al", they say "il". This makes "the supermarket" into "is-soo'" rather than "al-sooq".

Also, are the sentence structures the same between the two types?
For example, question words (eg, where) are added at the end of the sentence ("il-bank fein"). Is that the same in gulf arabic where "ayna" is used ("al-bank ayna" ??).

In addition to that, I was wondering what the differences are between the spoken version and the Modern Standard Arabic that is used in newspapers and so on.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alykum salam,

egyptians make letter Jeem, like G :)

So instead of Hujaaaj, Hugag ;) or ya hag!

hussamadin

Aslam Alykum
yeah in Arabic countries we have different accents and each city has it own accent and a lot of these accent did not use the full arabic alphabet for example in syria instand of "the" they say (za) etc ... but the accent of Gulf and yaman are the nearist to the Quran accent i think.

Joanna-Aisha

Hmmm, do you think it will be difficult to learn Gulf Arabic after learning the Egyptian one?

:salam2::hijabi:

Egyptian accent is one of the easiest accents among Arabic...:)
Some of Egyptian words are different as well, they pronunce numbers a little bit different and this "J" to "G" (al Fagr, Hag, Higab) + for example husband in Egyptian is "goozi" but in High Arabic is "zoogi"...

I love Egyptian accent. But when it comes to reading Al Quran, they read it in high Arabic, so they mostly know differences between their accent and "normal" Arabic :)

Have fun with this language :):hijabi:

nafesa

muslim gurl
Hmmm, do you think it will be difficult to learn Gulf Arabic after learning the Egyptian one?

:salam2:
Egyptian accent is easy and after you learn it you shouldn't have problem with other arabic accents thats what i think ......i first learned egyptian accent and now i understand every arabic accent including the classic arabic (quran arabic) alhamdulillah except the Moroccan accent i can't understand them properly but is best to learn the quran arabic because that is the really arabic and it will be Easier to understand the quran
:wasalam:

malickabrother

save Palestine!
:salam2:
Egyptian accent is easy and after you learn it you shouldn't have problem with other arabic accents thats what i think ......i first learned egyptian accent and now i understand every arabic accent including the classic arabic (quran arabic) alhamdulillah except the Moroccan accent i can't understand them properly but is best to learn the quran arabic because that is the really arabic and it will be Easier to understand the quran
:salam2: brother/sister I know tajweed but which is the arabic quran?

dna1987

Muslim Guy
NO......NO..NO......

Ya Akhi..u should Learn Classical Arabic language (Quran language )

u Don't Have to Learn Egyption or Gulf ones

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_language

aslo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_Arabic

<wasalam>

Salam alaikum,

I plan to learn that inshAllah. An Iraqi friend of mine has suggested the same - "learn classical". But at the moment, the best resource I have is one that teaches Egyptian Arabic. This includes audio tracks and so on, making Arabic (Egyptian Arabic) very easy to learn. That is why I'm learning it. One step at a time for now.

Thanks for all the responses btw, it sounds like it won't be that hard to learn MSA and Classical Arabic after learning this.

Joanna-Aisha

Salam alaikum,

I plan to learn that inshAllah. An Iraqi friend of mine has suggested the same - "learn classical". But at the moment, the best resource I have is one that teaches Egyptian Arabic. This includes audio tracks and so on, making Arabic (Egyptian Arabic) very easy to learn. That is why I'm learning it. One step at a time for now.

Thanks for all the responses btw, it sounds like it won't be that hard to learn MSA and Classical Arabic after learning this.

:ma:That's great! Where have you found these resources?

dna1987

Muslim Guy
^ It's called the "Michel Thomas Arabic Foundation Course" which involves no writing and no reading. Just listening. It helps you absorb the information rather than conciously memorise it. It's great! :D I finished the foundation course and am now trying the Advanced CD set.
Here is a link:
http://www.warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=1599970&highlight=

I also have a book titled "Teach yourself Arabic" which I will move on to after this - that teaches more about reading and writing in Modern Standard Arabic.

Assalam alaikum.

Moataz G

al slaamo 3alikum

*cough* *cough* an Egyptian man is here, well i do strongly agree with people who said egyptian accent is much more easier than gulf accent.. gulf accent is really NOT EASY and i myself the egyptian do not understand their accent sometimes.

when u said where is the bank in gulf accent it's not 'ayna al bank' instead it is ' wien el bank?" wein in gulf accent means where? in egyptian accent it is 'fein' :) :D

i belive there are HUGE difference in words among two accents ex;

car..........eg. accent : 'arabeya' (with ein letter in the beginning)>> gulf acc.: "seyyara'.

how are you:.....eg.acc: ezzayak? (one word only)....gulf acc: eish lonak?

my nose......eg acc: mana5eery (manakheery)....gulf acc: 5ashmy (khashmy)

and so on..

if you want any any help regarding egyptian accent i'd be so pleased to help you..and this is for all members also.