differences?

all4islam

:salam2:

As exams are finish today and only one more left to go on next friday
please make dua that i good grades and give good exam for english literature.
i want to ask what is the difference between salam and assalam-e-alikum.
and i heard that we should use (alif) for assalam-e-alikum and when a non-muslim say salam we should say only walikum is it?not full like walikum salam

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Wa'alaikumussalam.

As exams are finish today and only one more left to go on next friday
please make dua that i good grades and give good exam for english literature.
i want to ask what is the difference between salam and assalam-e-alikum.
and i heard that we should use (alif) for assalam-e-alikum and when a non-muslim say salam we should say only walikum is it?not full like walikum salam
~~~
:wasalam:

Salam mean peace.

to say salam in full to a muslim/muslims we meet
is encourage as
Assalamu'alaikum in full meaning:
Peace be upon you altogether a good du'a to our muslims brothers/sisters and in return they said wa'alaikumussalam meaning Peace be upon you too to answer the salam we give.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70515

~May Allah swt help and guide you~Amin!

Take care,
~Wassalam :)

Moatasem

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

As in Arabic, salam mean peace, so saying salam alone, won't give any real meaning, and that is way we say Alsselamalukm which mean we make a peace between ourselves and other Muslims.
So I think we should say Alsselamalukm for our Muslims brothers and sisters.

For non Muslims replaying with saying , w'alikum, has its story during Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) time. Where a Jew people were saying to him al SAM alukmk . and this is give same pronunciation as al SALAM alukm , but totally different meaning where SAM in arabic means die. so while saying al SAM alukm, they were wishing him to die.
That is way we say wa'alukm , to replay to them whatever the want to mean, so if they want to mean the peace , we are replaying with peace. And if they want to mean die, we are replaying them with what they are wishing for us.!

I hope this making it clear for you

May Allah forgive us for any sins and reward us the heaven.

Regards

all4islam

Assalam-e-alikum

Jazakallah khair sister queenislam and brother moatasem.. this is the first time i had heard like that brother Moataem

Moatasem

W"Salam Sister
Jazak Allah all the best, actually what I mentioned above is based on Islamic knowledge andnot from my personal opinion. And this is a true story during the time of Prophet Mohammed ( peace be upon him) and you even can check for it in many Islamic books.
Ohh Allah if I said any thing correctly , is because of your help, and if I made any mistake , is because of me.
All the best for all of you brothers and sisters

all4islam

Assalam-e-alikum

no brother you got me wrong i didn't mean that way to hurt you
i try my whole best to learn about islam more

Moatasem

W'salam sister

I didn't get hurt at all, of course when we mention any thing about Islam we must be sure of what we are saying.

Thank you for your nice felling and please don't hesitate to ask any thing and insha'allah will answer you.

All the best for all Muslims.

Tomtom

Banned
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

As in Arabic, salam mean peace, so saying salam alone, won't give any real meaning, and that is way we say Alsselamalukm which mean we make a peace between ourselves and other Muslims.
So I think we should say Alsselamalukm for our Muslims brothers and sisters.

For non Muslims replaying with saying , w'alikum, has its story during Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) time. Where a Jew people were saying to him al SAM alukmk . and this is give same pronunciation as al SALAM alukm , but totally different meaning where SAM in arabic means die. so while saying al SAM alukm, they were wishing him to die.
That is way we say wa'alukm , to replay to them whatever the want to mean, so if they want to mean the peace , we are replaying with peace. And if they want to mean die, we are replaying them with what they are wishing for us.!

I hope this making it clear for you

May Allah forgive us for any sins and reward us the heaven.

Regards

As'alaamu Alaikkum Moatasem

It is a misconception to say that we only greet non-muslims with Alaikkum. If they greet you with As'alaamu Alaikkum then you reply with Wa Alaikkum As'alaam. The example you gave was like you say when the Jews used to greet the Prophet (pbuh) with Asama Alaikkum which means death to you and he used to reply Wa Alaikkum which means same to you. He only did this because he was returning the same greeting that he received, therefore if a non-mulsims greets you with the proper As'alaamu Alaikkum you greet them with Wa Alaikkum As'alaam.

Question

How can you tell a muslim from a non-muslim?

Moatasem

W'Salam Tomtom

This is an issue which only people with deep knowledge can decide it. What I know and studied , if you know that others are not Muslims , you shouldn't great them with Alselamalukm , and if they said that to you, you should replay with Wa'ilukm (which is still good replay because you are replaying then great).

If you are not sure if they are Muslims or not, then I don't know what to say? you have to ask people with knowledge in this matter , since I can't give Fatwa for some thing I don't know !!.

For me my self, and I am living in Malaysia where a lot of non Muslims, I will try to guest, and if they are group of people and there is one single Muslim with them, I will say Alsalamalukm with intention of making it to that specific Muslim.

May Allah guide all of us to the right path.

Thank you

Tomtom

Banned
W'Salam Tomtom

This is an issue which only people with deep knowledge can decide it. What I know and studied , if you know that others are not Muslims , you shouldn't great them with Alselamalukm , and if they said that to you, you should replay with Wa'ilukm (which is still good replay because you are replaying then great).

If you are not sure if they are Muslims or not, then I don't know what to say? you have to ask people with knowledge in this matter , since I can't give Fatwa for some thing I don't know !!.

For me my self, and I am living in Malaysia where a lot of non Muslims, I will try to guest, and if they are group of people and there is one single Muslim with them, I will say Alsalamalukm with intention of making it to that specific Muslim.

Thank you

The Prophet (pbuh) said that one should return a greeting that is greater than the greeting one has received. So by your reckoning just saying Walaikkum is disobeying the Prophet (pbuh).

Question

Why should you not return a greeting or peace to a non-muslim?

kalamazoo

'Millat "IBRAHIM" {AleyhiSalaam}
W'Salam Tomtom

Thank you

The Prophet (pbuh) said that one should return a greeting that is greater than the greeting one has received. So by your reckoning just saying Walaikkum is disobeying the Prophet (pbuh).

Question

Why should you not return a greeting or peace to a non-muslim?

asalaam aleykum,

No problem brothers,
this is the way how we learn and in a matter of fact It should be like this I don't think that there will be other.

Brothers:Now let us see.

Just as a matter of making things clearer; Now If we say "
Asalaam Aleykum" here if I may ask why Eleykum and NOT aleyk ?