discrimination in the workplace

aless

:salam2:

I am not sure about how to pose this question,

but I found out something which I am not sure whether is an opinion of a scholar, an opinion from the majority of scholars or something that directly comes from evidence in Qur'an and Sunnah

and generally would like to know you understanding of this matter insha'Allah

I read that

"they (non-Muslims) were forbidden from having authority over Muslims -meaning in job positions -actually hiring a Muslim with less qualification than a non-Muslim is more beneficial to the religion..."
(...)
"It is permissible to hire them (non-Muslims) for certain marginal jobs which do not pose any threat against the policies of the Muslim government, like building buildings and paving roads, with the condition that there are no Muslims who can do the same job
(...)
it is forbidden for the Muslim to let himself be hired by the unbeliever, because it would mean the unbeliever could command the Muslim and could humiliate him"

Source
Title:Al-Tawhid Publisher: the Ministry of education, learning and educational advancement, The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: 2004 Language : Arabic (a 1st Grade High school book)

I have a few questions about it:
1. I dont have the book and have read the translation of just these few paragraphs from another book that is calling the statements above extremist (they call this a blatant breach of regulations against discrimination (especially religious discrimination I would assume) in the workplace). has anybody got the book?
2.From what I understand from these paraghraphs, we don't want them to discriminate against us in the workplace (in minority Muslim countries) but in majority Muslim countries we have to discriminate against them?
In European countries we complain about discrimination on the job but then our Islamic education teaches us to discriminate against non-Muslims on the job. I understand the fact that we are protecting the interests of our Muslims brothers and sisters, what I don't really get is what kind of jobs (would) the non-Muslims do in Muslim countries, are they supposed to be completely marginalised?
3. I don't understand how "it is forbidden for the Muslim to let himself be hired by the unbeliever" so basically every Muslim in minority Muslim country are doing wrong by working for non-Muslims?

Kazakallahu Khayran

wa'salaam

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

Human beings are creatures with different personality types. For example, some people have "fire in their blood" and behave in a very aggressive manner with others. Whereas, other people are more genial.

What you have read is simply a book with the opinions of a certain individual, expressing his own personality and level of understanding through his writing. Now, there are hundreds of books written by both Muslims and non-Muslims that may express these types of views about people not belonging to their "group" of affiliation.

I think the example of Saudi Arabia hiring a Chinese non-Muslim to be the Dean of their new university in the Red Sea is sufficient to mention. Our religion comes from Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) and His Messenger (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). The religion of Islam is the religion of balance and moderation. Never extreme to either the right or left.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

I am not sure about how to pose this question,

but I found out something which I am not sure whether is an opinion of a scholar, an opinion from the majority of scholars or something that directly comes from evidence in Qur'an and Sunnah

and generally would like to know you understanding of this matter insha'Allah

I read that

"they (non-Muslims) were forbidden from having authority over Muslims -meaning in job positions -actually hiring a Muslim with less qualification than a non-Muslim is more beneficial to the religion..."
(...)
"It is permissible to hire them (non-Muslims) for certain marginal jobs which do not pose any threat against the policies of the Muslim government, like building buildings and paving roads, with the condition that there are no Muslims who can do the same job
(...)
it is forbidden for the Muslim to let himself be hired by the unbeliever, because it would mean the unbeliever could command the Muslim and could humiliate him"

Source
Title:Al-Tawhid Publisher: the Ministry of education, learning and educational advancement, The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: 2004 Language : Arabic (a 1st Grade High school book)

1. I dont have the book and have read the translation of just these few paragraphs from another book that is calling the statements above extremist (they call this a blatant breach of regulations against discrimination (especially religious discrimination I would assume) in the workplace). has anybody got the book?
2.From what I understand from these paraghraphs, we don't want them to discriminate against us in the workplace (in minority Muslim countries) but in majority Muslim countries we have to discriminate against them?
In European countries we complain about discrimination on the job but then our Islamic education teaches us to discriminate against non-Muslims on the job. I understand the fact that we are protecting the interests of our Muslims brothers and sisters, what I don't really get is what kind of jobs (would) the non-Muslims do in Muslim countries, are they supposed to be completely marginalised?
3. I don't understand how "it is forbidden for the Muslim to let himself be hired by the unbeliever" so basically every Muslim in minority Muslim country are doing wrong by working for non-Muslims?

Kazakallahu Khayran

wa'salaam

this is the first that i have heard of this.

mas_adi

Wa alaikumsalam.

I don't have that book too. But, I am really sorry, I must say ignore that book, brother (or sister ?). I think their view is too extreme.

No, no, don't say "our Islamic education teach ...". Ulama in other places never teach discrimination like this. In my place, jobs that closed for non-Muslims are only in companies that related to Islamic matter like Zakat houses or Islamic schools.
FYI : The largest Masjid in South East Asia is Masjid Istiqlal in Jakarta, Indonesia. And, do you know ?, the architect/designer is Christian.

Ulama in my place (Indonesia) never forbade Muslims work in non-Muslim's companies as long as they work in halal jobs.
Even I know someone who pious, has long beard and always dressed in 'Muslim clothes'. Or in short word, he is Salafy. And he works in Multi-National company where the head quarter is in non-Muslim countries.
Once again. Several years ago I work in a company that owned by non-Muslim. It employees were around 40 persons which almost 30 were/are Muslim. One day the boss found Muslim employees always salat in office boy room, and do you know what she did later? she built a Mushaala for Muslim employees.

aless

yes the text was translated from a book that is taught at an Islamic school in London, that's why I say "our Islamic education"
whether it is an opinion, or there's evidence to back up those statements, that's a different matter....

jazakum Allahu khayr

:wasalam: