dowry???

rtbour

american muslima
Asalaamu Alaikum

My son just got married last year to a Christian and the dowry was part of the marriage contract and they were married in a mosque. A dowry is a gift..its not a payment or a way to purchase someone. I haven't seen anywhere in the quran or hadith that the dowry is insurance in case of divorce or death. I think people made that up so that they could keep deferring the dowry. I am not impressed either with hearing about foreign men coming here and getting a woman for cheap or free as they call it and thinking they got a great bargain. The dowry is the wife's islamic right and she should be told about it if she is not muslim or a convert..I've seen lots of converts even getting ripped off and she should be able to ask for just as much as a foreign woman does..there is no cap on the amount. Woman in the west have been so beat down for so long they feel shy to ask for even one morsel from their husbands. This should not be taken advantage of. Muslim men should reinstate women's rights here in the west just as the women have them in the east.

i never thought about it like that but you are SO right. my feelings are kind of hurt, now and I am a little mad at my husband. Can i demand the stuff that i am entitled to, that i was misled or never told about before the marriage?

dawahforever

Asalaamu Alaikum

Of course sister it is your right. Have you talked to your dh about it? Maybe you will have to talk to an imam to see if you need a new contract or not..I wonder why the imam never asked that a dowry be stipulated in the first place or did you have a civil contract? Depending on your circumstances you might have to start from scratch with a new contract which includes your dowry..make sure its not deferred...I think you've waited long enough.