Earthquake in Haiti

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

If you have not heard the news, the island of Haiti (already the poorest country in the western hemisphere, and one of the poorest in the world) was devastated by an earthquake and on-going aftershocks today. Nearly all buildings are affected - either destroyed or weakened so much they are dangerous in the capital.

Current estimates say that well over 100,000 people could be dead...

If you have any opportunity to donate or volunteer in some way to assist these poor, devastated people, please do so. What a better way to promote Islam than by assisting people when they are in extreme need.

I won't put a link, because the news is literally being updated by the minute on pretty much every single news website....

:salam2:

This reminded me so much of surah zalzalah(99). That is the day all humans will have no choice but to feel it.

They are known to have a like 8% of population who practice witchcraft/Vodoo.

:wasalam:

q8penpals

Salam

According to what I looked up (I knew very little about Haiti), 80% claim to be Roman Catholic, however, it also said that over 50% also claim to believe/use voodoo (so, by those statistics, a lot of them "believe" in both).

Perhaps by having lots of Muslims offering aid and assistance, will cause some of them to learn about Islam and convert, Insha'Allah.

Salam

According to what I looked up (I knew very little about Haiti), 80% claim to be Roman Catholic, however, it also said that over 50% also claim to believe/use voodoo (so, by those statistics, a lot of them "believe" in both).

Perhaps by having lots of Muslims offering aid and assistance, will cause some of them to learn about Islam and convert, Insha'Allah.

without out a doubt, we are supposed to assist humans to guidance and care for humans in need. This is the way of a muslim and this is what the prophet, PBUH taught us.

in sha Allah, the few muslim organizations there will contact and administer aid, but I haven't heard anything yet. My good friend works for Mercy International, will call him, in sha Allah. They supported so many with aid after Hurricane Katrina.

I don't donate to other organizations online, because they take the dollar and divide it, 40% administration fee, then 60% goes to needed areas, where even that is manipulated at times. So I only give to muslim organizations that 95%-99% goes directly to the people in need and no strings attached. There is no way around the 5%, because they need lawyers and accountants especially in USA.

^^^ have you heard this guy talk about muslims. IstaghfirAllah, he doesn't know what he is talking about or maybe he does but uses a little deceptive twist to it. He takes some facts, then tries to marry them with his agenda.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-raushenbush/go-to-hell-pat-robertson_b_422397.html

anyways cair sent me this message:

U.S. MUSLIM CHARITY TO FLY $1 MILLION IN RELIEF SUPPLIES TO HAITI -
Islamic Relief USA works with Mormon church to aid Haitian quake victims

(Alexandria, VA, January 13, 2010) -- Islamic Relief USA, America’s largest Muslim relief organization, announced today that it will immediately fly a $1 million shipment of aid to those impacted by yesterday’s earthquake in Haiti. That relief aid will be sent in coordination with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Those wishing to donate to Islamic Relief USA's "Haiti Emergency" appeal may visit www.IslamicReliefUSA.org or call (888) 479-4968. Checks payable to “Islamic Relief USA” may be mailed to: Islamic Relief USA, P.O. Box 5640, Buena Park, CA, 90622.

In October 2009, Islamic Relief USA responded to two Pacific Rim earthquakes by coordinating a massive aid shipment to Samoa and deploying emergency teams in Indonesia.

Islamic Relief partners worldwide also responded to other major disasters such as the 2004 tsunami in Southeast Asia and the Pakistan earthquake in 2005. More than $100 million in relief aid was collected to assist the victims in those disaster areas. Islamic Relief also responded to Hurricane Katrina, delivering aid to more than 60,000 people in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.

[NOTE: Media professionals interested in speaking to aid workers who have experience in disaster zones or to learn more about ongoing response efforts may contact Islamic Relief USA VP of Fund Development Anwar Khan at 818-216-9723.]

Islamic Relief USA, based in Alexandria, Va., is a non-profit 501(c)(3) humanitarian agency with offices also in California, Illinois, New Jersey, and Texas. As an international relief and development organization, Islamic Relief strives to alleviate the poverty and suffering of the world's poorest people. Since its establishment, Islamic Relief has expanded greatly with permanent locations in more than 35 countries worldwide.

For the sixth consecutive year, Islamic Relief USA has been awarded four stars by Charity Navigator, the largest charity evaluator in the country. This prestigious award puts Islamic Relief among the top 2.25 percent of charities in the nation.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

This is very sad news and thousands of people have lost their lifes. Many countries have begun to send help and Inshallah it will continue like that. May Allah help us all.Amen

Wa Allaicumu sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

q8penpals

Salam

Did you read the article? This is very common, especially in poor countries. If they get supplies, they have to sort through it, figure out what they have, then figure out how to divide it up. They don't have the manpower, trucks, or ability to do this in Haiti - the country was practically living hand-to-mouth before this.

Many, many charities ask for cash because then they can purchase what is more direly necessary at the time. For example, getting tons of clothing donations does no good if they are dying from thirst. However, this article specifically states that later, once the lives of people are stable, they will be asking for clothing and other donations.

I have sat here crying watching the reports from Haiti - hearing that they have to bury entire families in small graves, or that about 7000 people were put in one grave, because of lack of space, and the desperateness to get the bodies buried to stem the threat of disease spread; 700 kids crushed in one school alone; this is a country where they reported about 1/4 of the country had rolling electrical black-outs before the quake; that many homes & buildings couldn't use toilets due to broken down sewage treatment plants before the quake; 80% of the people live on less than $700 A YEAR before the quake....

After this quake, wow... we as fellow humans on this Earth will have to do so much or this country will fall into complete and utter despair and lawlessness.

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
As salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Insha Allah, we're trying to do a fundraiser in our University. Also Insha Allah, will do a fundraiser for the Muslims in Palestine. Please make duwas so that it can be a success.

Jazakallahu khair,

Salaam!!!

justoneofmillion

:salam2:Thank you for this thread. It is sad it got such a modest attention.Muslims have to wake up and assist not just when it concerns us for god s sake.

wassalaam
jamil
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it"
Jean Paul Sartre

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Mercy and Islamic Relief are two organizations that are working diligently to assist.