Egyptians in hajj divided over Islam in politics

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

I was searching for school closings for tomorrow due to the "superstorm" on the East Coast.

I saw an article;http://news.yahoo.com/egyptians-hajj-divided-over-islam-politics-063752418.html.

What struck me as amusing is the response by the professor who has made hajj. She retorts:

Now that she has finished the hajj and is returning home to Egypt, Magda Bagnied says her family will no doubt try to convince her to put on the headscarf to demonstrate her religiosity after a pilgrimage meant to cleanse her of sin and bring her closer to God.
She fully expects that from her parents. But she doesn't want that kind of pressure from her government or leaders.
"Leave religion to the people," said Bagnied, a media professor at Ahram Canadian University, in Cairo's suburbs.

You have had the blessing of being able to perform one of pillars of the faith and yet you are confused about the faith. Hijab is part of the faith. She is no child. This is a public declaration.

Any thoughts or am I in left field by myself, as usual?

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Wa aleykum salam

I agree with you. And that is called taking from islam only what suits your own desire. I am sure we all have our shortcomings, no doubt, but with help of Allah we must be aware and try to abolish them inshallah, not labeling ourselfs as liberal muslims instead.

Allah says: “And by Nafs (soul) and Him Who perfected it in proportion. Then he showed it what is wrong and what is right. Indeed he succeeds who purifies his own self. And indeed he fails who corrupts his own self” (As-Shams: 7-10).

salam aleikum

a_stranger

Assalamu alaikim dear sisters
Islam means submission to Allah subhanahu wa taaala , some people don't understand this deep meaning . Allah is our creator , we are his slaves his creatures , when Allah orders us to do something we have no choice , we should obey . Every decent human knows that higab makes hearts more pure . When a woman wear the correct higab then she stops the men from looking to her a bad look. Not any higab but the correct one. it makes a woman shines with light of purity and modesty.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Assalaam alaikum,
Now that she has finished the hajj and is returning home to Egypt, Magda Bagnied says her family will no doubt try to convince her to put on the headscarf to demonstrate her religiosity after a pilgrimage meant to cleanse her of sin and bring her closer to God.
She fully expects that from her parents. But she doesn't want that kind of pressure from her government or leaders.
"Leave religion to the people," said Bagnied, a media professor at Ahram Canadian University, in Cairo's suburbs.

You have had the blessing of being able to perform one of pillars of the faith and yet you are confused about the faith. Hijab is part of the faith. She is no child. This is a public declaration.

Any thoughts or am I in left field by myself, as usual?

Walaikumassalaam Mother,

I had a hearty laugh reading what the woman had retorted. Above which she has just finished her Hajj and she speaks this way. Wonder what's wrong with her. Will it be appropriate to call her a "hypocrite"? Or just a so-called muslim who is following the deen just because her family wants too? And also wonder how come the media people get to talk to such people alone? Why don't they get the actual muslims who follow the Quran and Sunnah? :angryred:

Surah 63. Verse 1 : -
When the hypocrites come to you, [O Muhammad], they say, "We testify that you are the Messenger of Allah ." And Allah knows that you are His Messenger, and Allah testifies that the hypocrites are liars.

Verse 2 : -
They have taken their oaths as a cover, so they averted [people] from the way of Allah . Indeed, it was evil that they were doing.

But what I would like to agree is with the statement - "she does not fear Shariah but those who would try to interpret and apply it." Somebody else willing to agree?? - Mean to say, that not willing to see the country end up in the hands of utlra-extreme leaders. InshaAllah Egypt will be a better place to live after the proper Shariah laws are applied. :)

And also I would like to know what are the characteristics of "Liberal Muslims"??
Agree with you Sister Hajjerr.. :)

Peace :)

a_stranger

أَفَمَن كَانَ عَلَى بَيِّنَةٍ مِّن رَّبِّهِ كَمَن زُيِّنَ لَهُ سُوءُ عَمَلِهِ وَاتَّبَعُوا أَهْوَاءهُمْ 47:14

Afaman kana AAala bayyinatin min rabbihi kaman zuyyina lahu sooo AAamalihi waittabaAAoo ahwaahum
47:14 Is then one who is on a clear (Path) from his Lord, no better than one to whom the evil of his conduct seems pleasing, and such as follow their own lusts?