Eid Al Fitr Rulings and Regulations

Abul Harith

Staff member
[img=left]http://www.turntoislam.com/images/tti/ttilogo.jpg[/img]Eid Al Fitr Rulings and Regulations

عيد"Eid / Eed" is an Arabic word referring to something habitual, that returns and is repeated. Eids or festivals are symbols to be found in every nation, including those that are based on revealed scriptures and those that are idolatrous, as well as others, because celebrating festivals is something that is an instinctive part of human nature. All people like to have special occasions to celebrate, where they can come together and express their joy and happiness.

For every people there is a feast and this is our feast" said the Prophet :saw: to Aboo Bakr (RA). [Bukhaaree and Muslim].

The Prophet’s words indicate that these two Eeds are exclusively for the Muslims. "Our feast" has a great meaning for Muslims because it tells us that these are our own and derived from our Sharee'ah alone.

Since holidays are usually based on religious traditions, it is very important that we demonstrate our celebrations with great joy and gathering to make us feel that they are our own, and to feel that they are different from the non-believers' holidays.

Therefore it is not permissible for Muslims to imitate the non-beleivers in anything that is a distinctive part of their celebrations, whether it be food, dress, bonfires or acts of worship. Muslim children should not be allowed to play on those festivals, or to put up decorations, or to join in with the non-believers in their celebrations on those occasions.

The Prophet :saw: has ordered us in numerous speeches to be different from the Mushrikeen (pagans), and these two "Eeds" are among that the Prophet :saw: wanted us to take special care of being different with them.

That is why he said, after seeing that the people of Madeenah had two holidays which they celebrated before Islaam,

" Allaah (SWT) has given you better than those (feasts): The 'Eed-al-Adhaa (Sacrificing) and the 'Eed- al-Fitr".
[Ahmad, Aboo Dawood and Nasaa'ee].

The 'Eed-al-Adhaa comes after completing the "Hajj" (Pilgrimage) and the 'Eed-al-Fitr comes after the fasting in the month of Ramadaan. So it is not surprising that we must show and demonstrate our holidays ('Eed). Due to these clear facts, Muslim scholars put great emphasis on the concept of being different from the Mushrik in our ceremonies.

This is because ceremonies have great effect over the human mind and behaviour. Being different in our ceremonies means also that we must not participate in the Mushriks' ceremonies on their holidays.

'Umar RA said: "Do not learn the language of the Mushriks - without a necessity- nor enter the churches of Mushriks on their festivals because the anger of Allaah descends on them." [Bayhaqee].

We, Muslims, may even fast on the non-believers' holidays.

Umm Salamah (RA) said the Prophet :saw: used to fast on Saturdays and Sundays, and when asked he said: They are two days of the Mushriks' holidays so I like to oppose them in their ceremonies " [Ahmad and Nasaaee]

To assess this concept of being different from the non-beleivers, it is very important to say that: In order to be different in our ceremonies in the way the Prophet :saw: wanted us to be, we must follow the Sunnah literally. That would give us the deeds of being true followers of the Prophet :saw:

So if we want to be his followers we must be aware of Bid'ah [innovation] in these ceremonies. Bid'ah comes at the expense of Sunnah which is replaced by it.

Ibn Taymiyyah says: "There is no place in the heart for both Sunnah and Bid'ah." [Al-Iqtidaa] .

Allaah says:
{Say - O Muhammad :saw: - If you really do love Allaah follow me, Allaah will love you.} [Aali-Imraan, 3:31]

We present to you, dear brothers and sisters, some of the Sunnahs of Eed so that you can try to implement them. Also presented are some of the Bid'ahs of Eed so that we can avoid them. It is of great importance to follow the Sunnah of Eed so we can truly say that our feasts are different from the Mushriks' feasts.

Sunnahs of 'Eed

1) It is Sunnah to dress in the best clothes we have on Eed. It was narrated that Ibn 'Umar used to do that along with other Companions of the Prophet :saw:. [Fath al-Baaree]

2) It is a must (Waajib) to pray Eed al-Fitr Prayer. The Prophet :saw: and his Companions never ceased doing it, and they even gathered the people for it including women who were having their menses, children and the elderly. [Bukhaaree and Muslim]

3) It is Sunnah to eat an odd number of dates before we leave for Eed prayer to show that we are not fasting. " The Prophet:saw: used not to leave for Eed Prayer (except) after eating some dates." [Bukhaaree and Ahmad]

4) It is Sunnah to say Takbeer loudly when leaving our homes to go to Eed Prayer. The Prophet :saw: used to say this until he finished the Prayer. [Silsilat Al-ahadeeth As-Sunnah]

5) There is no Hadeeth related to Rasoolullaah :saw: as to what should be said when reciting Takbeer on the way to Prayer, but Ibn Mas'ood used to say the following:

Allaahu Akbar Allaahu Akbar
Allaah is The Greatest

Laa Illaha Illallaaha
There is none worthy of worship except Allaah

Allaahu Akbar Allaahu Akbar
Allaah is The Greatest

Wa Lillaahil Hamd
And to Him belongs all Praise

[Reported by Ibn Abee Shaybah]

Please read this link for the full article for the Takbeer of the Eid

6) The Sunnah for Eed Prayers is to pray in the Musallah (that is in an uncovered place) and not in the Masjid. The Prophet :saw: never prayed Eed Prayer in the Masjid.

Aboo Sa'eed (RA) reported: " The Prophet :saw: used to go on the day of 'Eed-al-Fitr and Eed-al-Adhaa to the Musallah, and the first thing he did was to pray." [Bukhaaree and Muslim]

7) Neither Adhaan nor Iqaamah are pronounced for Eed Prayer. [Muslim]

8) Ibn Abbaas reported: "The Prophet :saw: prayed two Raka'ahs for the Eed prayer and did not pray before it or after it." [Bukhaaree]

9) Jabir (R) reported: "The Prophet :saw: used to come back from 'Eed-al-Fitr on a path other than the one used in going to it." [Bukhaaree]

10) It is permitted to listen to songs (without music) on 'Eed day especially for children. [Bukhaaree and Muslim]

Bid'ahs of 'Eed

It is Bid'ah (innovation in Deen):

1) To shave the beards especially for 'Eed. The Prophet :saw: has ordered us not to shave our beards; so it is a shame that, on this great day of demonstrating our differences in ceremonies to those of the Mushriks, that some Muslim shaves his beard so that he looks "clean" like the Mushriks.

2) To imitate the Mushriks in their practices and dress, and to shake hands with women. The Prophet :saw: said: "It is better that a man is hit with needle on his head than to touch a woman who is not lawful for him." [Silsilat al-Ahaadeeth as-Sunnah]

3) To listen to music on 'Eed. The Prophet :saw: said: "There will be some in my nation who will regard adultery, men dressing in silk, drinking intoxicants (al-Khamr), and musical instruments to be lawful." [Bukhaaree, Abu Dawood and Bayhaqee]

4) For women not to wear Hijaab. To do so is to celebrate 'Eed while committing a major sin.

5) To visit the graveyard especially on Eed. It is permitted to visit the graveyard all year long so we should not make a special case out of it on 'Eed;

6) To waste money and being extravagant with food instead of giving them to poor.

We ask Allaah (SWT) to help us avoid all Bid'ah and to guide us in following the Sunnah of His Prophet :saw:.

Eed Mubarak to all the brothers and sisters and their families. May you all have a joyous and happy Eed :arabi1:

Karima

Why

Asalamualikum,

All kinds of religions want only their kind there. For example, the catholics oppose to any kind of part-taking in other christian churches....however, they respect God that is worshipped.

This is puzzling, since Allah is God in Arabic....
'Umar RA said: "Do not learn the language of the Mushriks - without a necessity- nor enter the churches of Mushriks on their festivals because the anger of Allaah descends on them." [Bayhaqee].

How can God/Allah be angry at those who are worshipping in the churches where they are focused on God in their own ways?

The churches do not worship an evil God. They pray to God...in their own way.

The language of the Mushriks? what language is this?

What is Bayhagee?

Sallam:muslim_child:

Abul Harith

Staff member
Asalamualikum,

All kinds of religions want only their kind there. For example, the catholics oppose to any kind of part-taking in other christian churches....however, they respect God that is worshipped.

This is puzzling, since Allah is God in Arabic....

Allah is the Arabic name for God. It is His real name as mentioned in the Quran.

هُوَ اللَّهُ الَّذِي لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ عَالِمُ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ هُوَ الرَّحْمَنُ الرَّحِيمُ

He is Allah, than Whom there is La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He) the All-Knower of the unseen and the seen (open). He is the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

هُوَ اللَّهُ الَّذِي لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الْمَلِكُ الْقُدُّوسُ السَّلَامُ الْمُؤْمِنُ الْمُهَيْمِنُ الْعَزِيزُ الْجَبَّارُ الْمُتَكَبِّرُ سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ

He is Allah than Whom there is La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He) the King, the Holy, the One Free from all defects, the Giver of security, the Watcher over His creatures, the All-Mighty, the Compeller, the Supreme. Glory be to Allah! (High is He) above all that they associate as partners with Him.

هُوَ اللَّهُ الْخَالِقُ الْبَارِئُ الْمُصَوِّرُ لَهُ الْأَسْمَاء الْحُسْنَى يُسَبِّحُ لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَهُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ

He is Allah, the Creator, the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms. To Him belong the Best Names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorify Him. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.

[al Hashr:22-24]

How can God/Allah be angry at those who are worshipping in the churches where they are focused on God in their own ways?

The churches do not worship an evil God. They pray to God...in their own way.

The Christians when they say that Jesus is the son of God are associating partners to Allah. This is displeasing to Allah and earns his wrath.

“And they say the Compassionate (i.e. Allah) has taken to Himself a son. Certainly you utter a disastrous thing, whereby the heavens are almost torn asunder, and the earth split open and the mountains crumbles to ruin, that you ascribe to the Compassionate a son! When it is not befitting the majesty of the Compassionate that He should choose a son. There is none in the heavens or the earth but comes to the Compassionate as a slave” (Surah Maryam 19:88-93).

This is not the message of Jesus or any of the Prophets - Peace be upon them all. We are commanded as mankind to worship Allah as He has prescribed. Islam is the religion that Allah has chosen for this Ummah and those who have knowledge from the people of the book know this clearly when they see what that the Prophet Mohammed :saw: came with. The message which was carried by the Prophet Mohammed :saw: was a continuation of that of all the previous Prophets, i.e. to worship Allah alone. It was in their books before they were corrupted.

وَإِذْ قَالَ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ يَا بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ إِنِّي رَسُولُ اللَّهِ إِلَيْكُم مُّصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيَّ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَمُبَشِّرًا بِرَسُولٍ يَأْتِي مِن بَعْدِي اسْمُهُ أَحْمَدُ فَلَمَّا جَاءهُم بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ قَالُوا هَذَا سِحْرٌ مُّبِينٌ

And (remember) when Jesus, son of Mary, said: "O Children of Israel! I am the Messenger of Allah unto you confirming the Taurat [(Torah) which came] before me, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmed. But when he (Ahmed i.e. Muhammad) came to them with clear proofs, they said: "This is plain magic."
[Al-Saff 61:6]

وَإِذْ قَالَ اللّهُ يَا عِيسَى ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ أَأَنتَ قُلتَ لِلنَّاسِ اتَّخِذُونِي وَأُمِّيَ إِلَـهَيْنِ مِن دُونِ اللّهِ قَالَ سُبْحَانَكَ مَا يَكُونُ لِي أَنْ أَقُولَ مَا لَيْسَ لِي بِحَقٍّ إِن كُنتُ قُلْتُهُ فَقَدْ عَلِمْتَهُ تَعْلَمُ مَا فِي نَفْسِي وَلاَ أَعْلَمُ مَا فِي نَفْسِكَ إِنَّكَ أَنتَ عَلاَّمُ الْغُيُوبِ

And (remember) when Allah will say (on the Day of Resurrection): "O Jesus, son of Mary! Did you say unto men: 'Worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allah?' " He will say: "Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner self though I do not know what is in Yours, truly, You, only You, are the All Knower of all that is hidden and unseen.

مَا قُلْتُ لَهُمْ إِلاَّ مَا أَمَرْتَنِي بِهِ أَنِ اعْبُدُواْ اللّهَ رَبِّي وَرَبَّكُمْ وَكُنتُ عَلَيْهِمْ شَهِيدًا مَّا دُمْتُ فِيهِمْ فَلَمَّا تَوَفَّيْتَنِي كُنتَ أَنتَ الرَّقِيبَ عَلَيْهِمْ وَأَنتَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ شَهِيدٌ

"Never did I say to them aught except what You (Allah) did command me to say: 'Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.' And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them, and You are a Witness to all things. (This is a great admonition and warning to the Christians of the whole world).

[al-Maaidah:116-7]

Also Allah mentions that the Prophet :saw: is free of the disbelievers.

Allah says in Surah al Kafiroon - The Disbelievers No.109

1.قُلْ يَا أَيُّهَا الْكَافِرُونَ

Say (O Muhammad to these polytheists and disbelievers): "O disbelievers in Allah!

2.لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
"I worship not that which you worship,

3.وَلَا أَنتُمْ عَابِدُونَ مَا أَعْبُدُ
"Nor will you worship that which I worship.

4.وَلَا أَنَا عَابِدٌ مَّا عَبَدتُّمْ

"And I shall not worship that which you are worshipping.

5.وَلَا أَنتُمْ عَابِدُونَ مَا أَعْبُدُ
"Nor will you worship that which I worship.

6.لَكُمْ دِينُكُمْ وَلِيَ دِينِ
"To you be your religion, and to me my religion (Islamic Monotheism)."

The Creator and Lord of the worlds is Allah Alone. This concept is called Tawheed al Ruboobeeyah - Oneness of Allah's Lordship. Where Islam differs from other religions such as Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. is in the concept of worship, Tawheed al Ulooheeyah or the Oneness of Allah's Worship and Tawheed al Asmaa was Sifaat - The Oneness of His Names and Attributes. This has been the call of all the Messengers sent by Allah subhanahu wa ta3ala.

وَمَا خَلَقْتُ الْجِنَّ وَالْإِنسَ إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُونِ

And I (Allah) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone). (Soorah Ad-Dhariyaat 51:56)
"This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion". (Soorah Al-Maa'idah 5:3)​
"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah (God) never will It be accepted of Him" (Soorah Aal'imraan 3:85)​
"Abraham was not a Jew nor Christian; but an upright Muslim." (Soorah Aal'imraan 3:67)​
Read these excellent Articles about Tawheed

The language of the Mushriks? what language is this?

What is Bayhagee?

The language of Islam is Arabic. 'Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: 'Do not learn the language of the Persians, (Musannaf of 'Abd al-Razzaaq, 9061; al-Sunan al-Kubra by al-Bayhaqi, 9/432). At that time Persia was a non-Islamic country. It is a necessity to learn foreign languages in these days as Islam has spread to vast and distant lands.

Imam al Bayhaqee was a great scholar and a prolific collector and compiler of Hadeeth.

Insha'allah I hope this answers your questions.

Wasalam,

Mu2min