Explanation of hijab

sal12

Salaam Brothers and Sisters. This is an absolutely brilliant website masha'allah!! Anyway I have a question regarding hijab. How do you explain to non-muslims AND muslims why women have to wear the hijab. I have been trying to explain and they're responses are:

"It's what's on the inside that counts. It shouldn't matter what you wear."

"The Quran was translated by men and not one woman was included in translating the Quran so those men have made up this rule and ordered women to wear it!" (this was from a muslim man)

"The hijab protects women from men? Men can't control themselves? So they're like animals?? And those that don't wear it might get raped??"

It's really difficult in explaining the concept of hijab. I wear hijab and I only wear it just because I don't want to go to hell and also out of habit because I've been wearing it for so long. So how would you explain hijab to someone particularly if they respond with the responses above. And if any revert women are reading this, what helped you in deciding to wear it?

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Salaam Brothers and Sisters. This is an absolutely brilliant website masha'allah!! Anyway I have a question regarding hijab. How do you explain to non-muslims AND muslims why women have to wear the hijab. I have been trying to explain and they're responses are:

"It's what's on the inside that counts. It shouldn't matter what you wear."

"The Quran was translated by men and not one woman was included in translating the Quran so those men have made up this rule and ordered women to wear it!" (this was from a muslim man)

"The hijab protects women from men? Men can't control themselves? So they're like animals?? And those that don't wear it might get raped??"

It's really difficult in explaining the concept of hijab. I wear hijab and I only wear it just because I don't want to go to hell and also out of habit because I've been wearing it for so long. So how would you explain hijab to someone particularly if they respond with the responses above. And if any revert women are reading this, what helped you in deciding to wear it?

:salam2:
1-Yes it is whats on the inside that counts, so if someone sees you wearing a hijab they shouldn't care.
2-Women wore hijab in Arabia before the Quran was even finished....although I hate it when people belittle women without hijab, it's better to wear it and he should know that.
3-hmm some men cannot control themselves, but you are no more likely to get raped without a hijab then with a hijab. Hijab is not just a scarf but also an attitude, SOME people here wear scarves but mingle with men, whats the point of that?!
4-My decission came during Ramadan, I always love wearing the hijab, but got more attention with it on then I wanted. After a while it just became I don't care what you think of me, and now I'm in Syria where most of the population wears it, alhamduliah!!! Mashallah, the environment inshAllah has made me a stronger Muslim.

chaandani

Goofy Member
Hmmm...here's how I explain it.

In Western culture women are depicted as sex objects and clothes are designed to attract males (and attention) to the females - short skirts, tight, low pants, low-cut shirts, etc. This is backwards from most other species, where the male is supposed to be the one attracting the female - (peacocks, ducks, fishies, etc.) Anyways, because women are depicted as objects, they are then treated as objects. That's why rape and domestic violence and all that is so high nowadays.

The hijab is a minor protection against that asides from the religious aspects. It's a chance for the Muslim women to convey herself as a respectful person - not an object - because afterall, it is what's on the inside that counts. By covering up, its making sure the male (or female, whoever) is concentrating on your words, and nothing else. So exactly, where are the downfalls of wearing a hijab? Sure sometimes you get more attention then you want - but it's a different kind of attention - it's not a sexual attention. That's the best I can explain it. I'm sure other sisters could do a much better job. :)

And for the record, no, most men cannot control themselves. :p

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
What made me to wear it .?
It was my personal choise and I wear it out of obidience to Allah ,because I love my Creator and I wear it for Him only ,its His command ...If one day Allah SWT will give me wisdom and understanding and chance to wear niqab ,inshaAllah I will do so...
Yes it wasnt easy for couple years after converting ...
But after learning Islam more and more and after praying to Allah SWT to make it easy for me ,it just happened ,I felt so gulity for not wearing it ,I felt that Im not completely doing what Allah SWT commanded to do .. And one day I just went to Jummah and after that decided that I will not take it off anymore ...alhamdulillah

I get many questions why I wear it ,all the time from people and my family of course giving some comments on why would I have to wear it all the time ?

I can only say from all my heart that I wear it for Allah SWT and nobodyelse ,I dont care what people think or say ,yes I do wear it for Allah and that will be my answer and I want to be recognized as a Muslim ,because I love my religion and very proud of it :)

waaleikum salam

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
1-Yes it is whats on the inside that counts, so if someone sees you wearing a hijab they shouldn't care.
2-Women wore hijab in Arabia before the Quran was even finished....although I hate it when people belittle women without hijab, it's better to wear it and he should know that.
3-hmm some men cannot control themselves, but you are no more likely to get raped without a hijab then with a hijab. Hijab is not just a scarf but also an attitude, SOME people here wear scarves but mingle with men, whats the point of that?!
4-My decission came during Ramadan, I always love wearing the hijab, but got more attention with it on then I wanted. After a while it just became I don't care what you think of me, and now I'm in Syria where most of the population wears it, alhamduliah!!! Mashallah, the environment inshAllah has made me a stronger Muslim.

salam sister
My decission came during Ramadan, I always love wearing the hijab, but got more attention with it on then I wanted. After a while it just became I don't care what you think of me, and now I'm in Syria where most of the population wears it, alhamduliah!!! Mashallah, the environment inshAllah has made me a stronger Muslim.

Im very very happy for your decision to start wearing it :) MashAllah
:SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252:

wasalam

sal12

Yes I wear it for the same reasons as aisha1111 but my elder brother is always the one telling me to take it off because in this country its not a good image and nobody will employ you blah blah. We're not even converts we were raised as muslims though he did/does everything opposite of a muslim and I just want to throw him such a good answer to shut him up coz none of my answers work! lol its so frustrating!

i don't actually care what he thinks of me because he knows he cant force me to do anything but he still doesn't stop going on about it. Especially when he says "Quran was translated by men and not one woman." He also doesn't believe in fasting because he says its not good for your health and is " very stupid." He's a hard one to convince! I really think he's one of those that Allah talks about in the Quran when he says He makes some people deaf and blind (as in refusing to believe when its right in front of their face) so that they cant see the truth because he's had so many obvious signs from Allah and ignores them. I hate preaching to people because it NEVER works. It upsets me and my sisters but there is only so much one can do!

Thanks for your posts! keep em coming! i still need a good answer to shut him up! lol

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
[QUOTE=chaandani;148450]Hmmm...here's how I explain it.

In Western culture women are depicted as sex objects and clothes are designed to attract males (and attention) to the females - short skirts, tight, low pants, low-cut shirts, etc. [/QUOTE]

Salam Alaikum

Clothes are deigned like that in the middle east too, you know how hard it is to find a sweatshirt here?! Anyways as revealing as a lot of the clothes are here people wear long jackets over them, but really other than that Canadian clothes and Syrian clothes are very simular.

P.S thanks Aisha1114 :)

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Salam Alaikum

Clothes are deigned like that in the middle east too, you know how hard it is to find a sweatshirt here?! Anyways as revealing as a lot of the clothes are here people wear long jackets over them, but really other than that Canadian clothes and Syrian clothes are very simular.

P.S thanks Aisha1114 :)[/I]

But there is a difference between selling and people wearing it. Is Syria that bad?

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
But there is a difference between selling and people wearing it. Is Syria that bad?

lol no Syria is not bad, but yes they sell clothes that people buy, my point was you will see skimpy clothes everywhere, but like I said women usually where long jackets over everything, so they are covered outside.
People here have the freedomm to wear what they want, as they should.:wasalam:

Jannah03

asalaamu alakum, always refer to the quran and the sunnah, and try to talk about mens modesty rules too just to make a point that its not just us women that has to cover our body