Exposing The Sins of Your Fellow Muslim

ayesha.ansari

well, there are some thing, which should not be hided, for example one of my brother was talking about stealing, or robbery,,...

if some one is committed with sin hidden, and you are the one, who saw him. than you must have to hide that..

ayesha.ansari

you wrote great, every one in this world can never be the perfect, every one is sinner, and every one can be committed mistakes..so no body should have to feel himself/herself perfect.... .. only the Quran, can avoid us from doing sins. recitation of Quran on daily basis, and offering prayer can make us sense, can avoid us,, from every kind of sin and mistakes.

Firdaws Muhsina

jazakhAllah kheir for posting this article

I recently experienced a situation where I was about to expose the sins of someone. I initially thought I was making the right decision since I would be showing the true nature of this person to his spouse and probably avoid myself any possible contact with this person. However I prayed istikhara and it help me realize that exposing this person's sins may lead to more conflict and even break a family.

I decided I would pray for this person so Allah could change his ways and if once again I observe he is transgressing I would find a way to contact someone who could guide him.

We are told to change things first by our words, if they don't change then do it physically and if they still don't change then with our hearts. As of now I pray for guidance for this person and for me to do the right thing inshAllah.

Subhanallah a few sisters and I just had this conversation! In a recent Khutba, the Imam mentioned the importance of changing a situation and helping the community by exposng sins. Unfortunately, I cannot remember everything but the sisters were discussing this khutba for clarification. We mentioned that a person who is outwardly doing something has already exposed his/her sins. We know that we mae excuses for the believers but with something that may harm the Muslims we have to address it. In some cases we have to address the person in hopes tht ty stop. If they choose not to listen then you have to tell the community about this person or go to the Imam as their actions may harm someone.

I also thought about this because my ex husband was someone who committed sin concerning marriage and he continued to marry. I was not sure whether to expose his sin or not. However, I agreed that the best decision would be to keep it in privae unless asked. As the prophet saw did. On one occasion a woman came to the Prophet saw to suggest marrying a brother in whch the proophet saw replied ' he keeps a stick' to warn her that he bet his wives. Sahih Bukhari and Muslim. Thus we see the Prophet did not just tell everyone and blast the brother out but when asked he gave an honest answer. So in that we can see one way to deal with this situation and Allah knows best.

uddim004

jazakhallalkhair for this post-really good and informative read. i hope and pray that allah forgives me for all the backbiting that i have done in my life.

ayesha.ansari

asalaamu alaikum,
i am guilty of this sometimes and i try not to do this
Allah please forgive me and help me to control my mouth and the things i say
u are the best of helpers and forgivers
:ma:
Thanks for sharing brother, very informative post. :tti_sister:

hasha ameena

Salaam!

what if that some persons backbite you or expose something lie on your fellow muslims and it made your identity miserable is it right to defend yourself by telling "its not true, shes like this...so and so" what is the best way to do....pls dont answer me avoid them because they are my circle of people everyday....
tanx......

Noor El-Huda

surely, most of the time, our intention is not to backbite others. we just want to talk about ourselves.. we are just trying to figure out what is going on in our lives while justifying to others the actions that we take or the emotions we feel. but we fail to realize that, in trying to relieve ourselves of the pressure we deal with on a day to day basis, we undoubtedly are going to have to touch on the actions and statements of others, especially if we feel that the limbo we are in is a direct result of somebody else's actions or faults.

as muslims, we are supposed to hide the faults of our fellow brothers and sisters [as long as they don't involve something that requires exposure]. in regards to someone's shortcomings and sins, whether major or minor, we are warned against broadcasting them. there is a hadeeth you all know in which the Prophet, salallaahu alayhi wa sallam, stated that the believer who hides the sins of a Muslim in the dunya will have his sins covered by Allah ta'aala on the Day of Judgment. SubhanAllah! how many of us miss out on the opportunity to have our sins covered up by Allah on the Day when these sins could be the weight that places us in the Fire?! instead of approaching the person we are angry with, or discussing the situation with them one-on-one, not "on the mimbar" so to speak, we instead let the world know: things are going wrong in my life and it's because of this action and that action and this action of so-and-so.

so my advice to you is: be very cautious when you speak to others about the events in your life that relate to those besides you. think before you open your mouths.

it is a shortcoming i have noticed in women AND men [and men have become just as bad these days when it comes to the idle use of their tongues]. many muslims seem to think venting about your problems with others is protected because you are telling 'the truth', or that, because one surely cannot live without expressing himself, it can't be backbiting! i've had big arguments with people about this subhanAllah, and i guess, as we remember the many ahadith that state that good character is the heaviest thing on the Balance, i felt it necessary to say that, while there is nothing wrong with sharing our experiences and private moments with those close to us, if venting means exposing the faults or sins of your fellow brother or sister in islam, then it is best to fear Allah and complain instead to the One with the power to grant you tranquility and rectify your affairs.........:SMILY231:

Mashallah very well explained. May Allah helps us all, and may Allah bless you.

Bina20

Ameen.
I was wondering brothers and sisters, when one is aware after they have sinned, say a couple of hours later, do they get double reward of repenting promptly/ straight away?

Riham

We all know very well that we are all sinners. No matter how good we think we are, how ‘religious’ we look, or how good people think we are, we are ALL sinners – without exception. Sometime or the other, be it in public, in private, in the darkness of night or in the brightness of daylight, we all commit sins. It’s an inherent part of human nature.

As far as our own sins are concerned, we should always try to hide them and not make them public. Of course, if we have done something which has hurt someone else or denied them their rights, then we should definitely fess up and ask them for forgiveness (such as stealing something or damaging someone’s property). But if we do something which we know we shouldn’t be doing (such as making out with a member of the opposite sex or looking at stuff we shouldn’t be seeing), we should keep quiet about it and sincerely ask Allah for forgiveness. Allah says in the Holy Quran:

Allah loves those who turn to Him constantly (for forgiveness) and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean. (Quran, 2:222)

If we see or hear about someone else committing a sin, we should always try to ignore it. Instead of spreading it, we should hide it and keep it a secret. It is reported that the Prophet :SAW: has said:

Whosoever covers (the sins of) a Muslim, Allah covers (his sins) on the Day of Judgment. (Reported by Bukhari)

If we find it too difficult to keep it secret, the most we are allowed to do is discuss the issue with the person, in private, and try to encourage them to stop committing the sin(s). Allah has said:

The believers, men and women, are Auliyâ' (helpers, supporters, friends, protectors) of one another, they enjoin Al-Ma'rûf (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism and all that Islâm orders one to do), and they forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e. polytheism and disbelief of all kinds, and all that Islâm has forbidden). (Quran, 71:9)

The only exception to this is if we find out that someone has committed a crime that has left someone injured or killed, or in which something was stolen or someone was denied something to which they were entitled to. In these cases, we MUST make the information public so that the person is brought to justice.

One thing we must not do when we find out about someone else’s sins is discuss them and gossip about them. Why? Because doing so will considered backbiting, which has been compared to eating the flesh (meat) of our own dead brother. Allah Subhanahu wa T’ala has said:

O you who believe! Avoid much suspicions, indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting). And fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is the One Who accepts repentance, Most Merciful. (Quran, 49:12)

But what if what we’re saying is really true?

Allah's Apostle :SAW: said:

Do you know what is backbiting? They (the Companions) said: Allah and His Apostle (peace be upon him) know best. Thereupon he (the Prophet) said: Backbiting implies your talking about your brother in a manner which he does not like. It was said to him: What is your opinion about this that if I actually find (that weakness) in my brother which I made a mention of? He said: If (that weakness) is actually found (in him) what you assert, you in fact backbited him, and if that is not in him it is a slander. (Reported by Muslim)

If we enjoy spreading stuff about people, we must think about what we are doing. Allah says in the Holy Quran:

Those who love (to see) scandal published (and) broadcast among the Believers will have a grievous Penalty in this life and in the Hereafter: Allah knows and ye know not. (Quran, 19-24)

In the above verse, Allah is warning all those who like to spread scandals and gossip about other believing Muslims to be careful, because they “will have a grievous Penalty in this life and in the Hereafter”.

May Allah protect us all, and may He forgive all our sins.

Ameen.

Update

'Abd Allah reported that the Prophet of Allah, upon him be peace, said, "A believer is not a fault-finder and is not abusive, obscene, or course."
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners 313, Ahmad, Ibn Hibban, and Hakim)

... Ibn 'Abbas said, "If you wish to mention the faults of your friend, mention your own faults first."
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners 329)

... Ibn 'Abbas said on the following verse of the Qur'an, "Nor defame one another" (49:11), "Do not spend your time finding fault with one another."
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners #330)

Jubayr ibn Nufayr reported that Mu'adh ibn Jabal said, "If you love someone, do not quarrel with him and do not annoy him. Do not ask others about him, for the one you ask might be his enemy and thus tell you things about him that are not true and thus break you apart."
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners 545)

'Amr ibn al 'As said, "...I am amazed at one who spots an impurity in the eye of another but is unable to detect it in his/her own eye, or who attempts to remove a grudge from another's heart while making no attempt to remove grduges from his/her own heart. I have never blamed anyone for the confidences of mine that they have betrayed. How could I, when already they have given me reason for pause?"
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners #889 and Ibn Hibban)

Bilal ibn Sa'd al Ash'ari reported that Mu'awiyah wrote to Abu Darda' "Write to the wrongdoers of Damascus." So he asked, "What do I have to do with the wrongdoers of Damascus? How will I know them?" Abu Darda's son, Bilal said, "I will write to them," which he did. Then Abu Darda' said [to Bilal], "How did you know to whom to write? You could not have known they were wrongdoers unless you were one of them. Begin with yourself!" So he did not address the letter in anyone's name.*
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners 1295)

·i.e. he didn't single out a specific person as a wrongdoer, but spoke about wrongdoings in general, to come as a reminder (of Quran and Sunnah) to the people.

:salam2:

Alhamdulillahir rabbil al ameen!

Jazakallah khair brother for this very beneficial and important post.

However, as a Super Moderator, it isn't enough that you provide such information and then not act upon its teaching.

A very recent thread in the TurnToIslam Lounge that was previously entitled:
"My Mother is Committing Zina - Help!" has been allowed to go on and on without any moderator intervening to stop the exposure of the sins of a Muslim mother.

I find it strange that a thread like this which teaches the ideal way of living and doing things can co-exist with a thread that violates the fundamental principles of Islam that you enumerated.

I don't even know if this thread is being moderated. Or if anyone is even listening.

But I had to speak out against that ugly thread started by a son who had no qualms speaking about the sins of his own mother. He could have sought advice in private..... but he did it as a public event. Which makes his sin even graver.

afshankausar

We all know very well that we are all sinners. No matter how good we think we are, how ‘religious’ we look, or how good people think we are, we are ALL sinners – without exception. Sometime or the other, be it in public, in private, in the darkness of night or in the brightness of daylight, we all commit sins. It’s an inherent part of human nature.

As far as our own sins are concerned, we should always try to hide them and not make them public. Of course, if we have done something which has hurt someone else or denied them their rights, then we should definitely fess up and ask them for forgiveness (such as stealing something or damaging someone’s property). But if we do something which we know we shouldn’t be doing (such as making out with a member of the opposite sex or looking at stuff we shouldn’t be seeing), we should keep quiet about it and sincerely ask Allah for forgiveness. Allah says in the Holy Quran:

Allah loves those who turn to Him constantly (for forgiveness) and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean. (Quran, 2:222)

If we see or hear about someone else committing a sin, we should always try to ignore it. Instead of spreading it, we should hide it and keep it a secret. It is reported that the Prophet :SAW: has said:

Whosoever covers (the sins of) a Muslim, Allah covers (his sins) on the Day of Judgment. (Reported by Bukhari)

If we find it too difficult to keep it secret, the most we are allowed to do is discuss the issue with the person, in private, and try to encourage them to stop committing the sin(s). Allah has said:

The believers, men and women, are Auliyâ' (helpers, supporters, friends, protectors) of one another, they enjoin Al-Ma'rûf (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism and all that Islâm orders one to do), and they forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e. polytheism and disbelief of all kinds, and all that Islâm has forbidden). (Quran, 71:9)

The only exception to this is if we find out that someone has committed a crime that has left someone injured or killed, or in which something was stolen or someone was denied something to which they were entitled to. In these cases, we MUST make the information public so that the person is brought to justice.

One thing we must not do when we find out about someone else’s sins is discuss them and gossip about them. Why? Because doing so will considered backbiting, which has been compared to eating the flesh (meat) of our own dead brother. Allah Subhanahu wa T’ala has said:

O you who believe! Avoid much suspicions, indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting). And fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is the One Who accepts repentance, Most Merciful. (Quran, 49:12)

But what if what we’re saying is really true?

Allah's Apostle :SAW: said:

Do you know what is backbiting? They (the Companions) said: Allah and His Apostle (peace be upon him) know best. Thereupon he (the Prophet) said: Backbiting implies your talking about your brother in a manner which he does not like. It was said to him: What is your opinion about this that if I actually find (that weakness) in my brother which I made a mention of? He said: If (that weakness) is actually found (in him) what you assert, you in fact backbited him, and if that is not in him it is a slander. (Reported by Muslim)

If we enjoy spreading stuff about people, we must think about what we are doing. Allah says in the Holy Quran:

Those who love (to see) scandal published (and) broadcast among the Believers will have a grievous Penalty in this life and in the Hereafter: Allah knows and ye know not. (Quran, 19-24)

In the above verse, Allah is warning all those who like to spread scandals and gossip about other believing Muslims to be careful, because they “will have a grievous Penalty in this life and in the Hereafter”.

May Allah protect us all, and may He forgive all our sins.

Ameen.

Update

'Abd Allah reported that the Prophet of Allah, upon him be peace, said, "A believer is not a fault-finder and is not abusive, obscene, or course."
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners 313, Ahmad, Ibn Hibban, and Hakim)

... Ibn 'Abbas said, "If you wish to mention the faults of your friend, mention your own faults first."
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners 329)

... Ibn 'Abbas said on the following verse of the Qur'an, "Nor defame one another" (49:11), "Do not spend your time finding fault with one another."
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners #330)

Jubayr ibn Nufayr reported that Mu'adh ibn Jabal said, "If you love someone, do not quarrel with him and do not annoy him. Do not ask others about him, for the one you ask might be his enemy and thus tell you things about him that are not true and thus break you apart."
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners 545)

'Amr ibn al 'As said, "...I am amazed at one who spots an impurity in the eye of another but is unable to detect it in his/her own eye, or who attempts to remove a grudge from another's heart while making no attempt to remove grduges from his/her own heart. I have never blamed anyone for the confidences of mine that they have betrayed. How could I, when already they have given me reason for pause?"
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners #889 and Ibn Hibban)

Bilal ibn Sa'd al Ash'ari reported that Mu'awiyah wrote to Abu Darda' "Write to the wrongdoers of Damascus." So he asked, "What do I have to do with the wrongdoers of Damascus? How will I know them?" Abu Darda's son, Bilal said, "I will write to them," which he did. Then Abu Darda' said [to Bilal], "How did you know to whom to write? You could not have known they were wrongdoers unless you were one of them. Begin with yourself!" So he did not address the letter in anyone's name.*
(Hadith - Bukhari's Book of Manners 1295)

·i.e. he didn't single out a specific person as a wrongdoer, but spoke about wrongdoings in general, to come as a reminder (of Quran and Sunnah) to the people.

:salah:

Jazak Allahu khyir..

mohammadyunus

I think that the ulemas dont do it for money. They bring out books for the benefit of the ummat and i dont think that money is a factor involved for them. Its more to do with the betterment of the muslims and for Allah's pleasure.

Although your concern is very appreciable