Fasting makes me reeeaaally grumpy!

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum...

Here we are on our 6th day of my first Ramadan and all I can say is ... whew. LOL The fasting is OK, I can cope without food & without water (the water part is roughest). The sleepies kinda come and go - yesterday they came while I was driving home and I kept fighting sleep the whole way.

But one thing I find is that I'm now amazingly sensitive - and not in a nice way. I am grumpy!! I lose my temper at the drop of a hat!

Its a big hurtle for me to climb over, but I promised I would be a different man at the end of Ramadan than I was at the beginning!

Ma Salaama
D

D.Ahmed

Believer
Salaam Danyal

yeah I feel you I'm in the same boat as you, The smallest thing winds me up mainly because of the thirst not the food, I think its due to the fact that I constantly get headaches in the mornings specially when its Ramadaan someone said its because I dont drink enough water during suhoor but I do! But Subhanallah I guess this is my jihad this month and i'll try to overcome it Inshallah and I hope you do too.

:wasalam:

DanyalSAC

Salaam Danyal

yeah I feel you I'm in the same boat as you, The smallest thing winds me up mainly because of the thirst not the food, I think its due to the fact that I constantly get headaches in the mornings specially when its Ramadaan someone said its because I dont drink enough water during suhoor but I do! But Subhanallah I guess this is my jihad this month and i'll try to overcome it Inshallah and I hope you do too.

What I do is before I eat suhoor I take a couple aspirin or a ibuprophen or something like that to keep the headaches away, because I also get headaches from lack of nourishment. But I also get them from lack of caffiene and I refuse to drink coffee during Ramadan since caffiene is a diuretic (in other words, it makes you tinkle...tinkling too much makes your body need water)....

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome......

I have gotten a bit irritable but I dont think its from my fasting because even when Im not fasting I get irritable sometimes at my jobs.

I gave up coffee too for Ramadan so I can feel your pain hahahaha. Try sport drinks instead of water because they have something extra to replenish your electrolites. It has helped me some. :hijabi:

Stay strong and when you feel irritable remember Allah and it will calm you down INSTANTLY inshallah. Good luck!

massi

Assalam Alaikom

I suggest to put a lecture of sheikh Like Yusef estes ^^ or some Quran recite ^^ when you are driving !!
but remember Fasting is Jihad to learn to be patient not just no drink or eat !!

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
wa alaikom assalam

first i wanna ask , who says we dont have to drink coffee during ramadhan ??
I dont remember I studied something like this at school :confused:

about headache , eat enough food and drink enough water before fasting
when u feel of it , hold the Qur'an and start reading , It will make you relaxed and the headache will go away .

as well as when u feel angry or grumpy , make wudo as what prophet Muhammad PBUH adviced us and say ( a'othu billahi min ash-shaytan ar-rajeem )
أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم
sadly , I donno its meaning in english .

Isra

aka Tree2008
wa alaikom assalam

first i wanna ask , who says we dont have to drink coffee during ramadhan ??
I dont remember I studied something like this at school :confused:

about headache , eat enough food and drink enough water before fasting
when u feel of it , hold the Qur'an and start reading , It will make you relaxed and the headache will go away .

as well as when u feel angry or grumpy , make wudo as what prophet Muhammad PBUH adviced us and say ( a'othu billahi min ash-shaytan ar-rajeem )
أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم
sadly , I donno its meaning in english .

Salam sis......

No we CHOOSE not to drink coffee because of the effects it has on the body makes fasting more difficult.

"a'othu billahi min ash-shaytan ar-rajeem" in English means "I seek shelter with Allah from the rejected shaitan.

Jazakallah khairan sis for the good advice!

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
hhmmm I think I'm the weird one in the pack..

I don't know if it's lack of energy or a Ramadhan miracle or something but I have *mellowed out* immensely!..before Ramadhan..all it took for my temper to go off is a word or two...but these days..I just feel like nothing provokes me..I'm super mellow..chilled-out..and relaxed (everyone who knows me is *freaked-out* by it lol)..I'm just quiet..smiling and acting super-friendly..it's like all I need to do next is..wear a tie-dyed shirt and go hug trees! lol

Anyway..grumpiness is a common side-effect amongst people fasting..I remember..even on the Arabic channels on the dish..they would make *comedy skits* about grumpy people in Ramadhan lol..so don't feel alone in this..it must have to do with hunger and thirst (Allahu a'alam)

So take it easy akhi..if you feel provoked..just remember Allah..say Ya Allah!..Allahu akbar..la ilaha illa Allah..la hawla wala qowta illa billah..ao'otho billah..or even say *the shahadah!*..it *really* helps!..it just makes you realize *uh-oh Allah is viewing my heart..I better straighten up!*..so you calm down very shortly after

May Allah reward you for your sawm with much khair in the dunya and an admittance into His Jannah..Ameen!

DanyalSAC

Assalam Alaikom

I suggest to put a lecture of sheikh Like Yusef estes ^^ or some Quran recite ^^ when you are driving !!
but remember Fasting is Jihad to learn to be patient not just no drink or eat !!

I would love to but my iPod - with all my English translation of the Quran on it - broke several weeks ago and I can't afford to get it fixed :( If anyone knows where I can find some downloads (in English) that I can burn to a disc I would be thankful!

But yes I know that Ramadan is to learn patience as well...and that's always been rough for me :p

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I would love to but my iPod - with all my English translation of the Quran on it - broke several weeks ago and I can't afford to get it fixed :( If anyone knows where I can find some downloads (in English) that I can burn to a disc I would be thankful!

But yes I know that Ramadan is to learn patience as well...and that's always been rough for me :p

:salam2:

http://quranicaudio.com/quran/58
Qari: Shaykh Mishaari Raashid [with Saheeh International Translation]

Right Click on Download link and Click "Save As" to save on your hard drive/Ipod/External USB. :)

If you want to select another recitor, then go to http://quranicaudio.com/
and scroll all the way to the bottom to find 'Recitations with Translations'.

q8penpals

hhmmm I think I'm the weird one in the pack..

I don't know if it's lack of energy or a Ramadhan miracle or something but I have *mellowed out* immensely!..before Ramadhan..all it took for my temper to go off is a word or two...but these days..I just feel like nothing provokes me..I'm super mellow..chilled-out..and relaxed (everyone who knows me is *freaked-out* by it lol)..I'm just quiet..smiling and acting super-friendly..it's like all I need to do next is..wear a tie-dyed shirt and go hug trees! lol

Anyway..grumpiness is a common side-effect amongst people fasting..I remember..even on the Arabic channels on the dish..they would make *comedy skits* about grumpy people in Ramadhan lol..so don't feel alone in this..it must have to do with hunger and thirst (Allahu a'alam)

So take it easy akhi..if you feel provoked..just remember Allah..say Ya Allah!..Allahu akbar..la ilaha illa Allah..la hawla wala qowta illa billah..ao'otho billah..or even say *the shahadah!*..it *really* helps!..it just makes you realize *uh-oh Allah is viewing my heart..I better straighten up!*..so you calm down very shortly after

May Allah reward you for your sawm with much khair in the dunya and an admittance into His Jannah..Ameen!

Salam

I was just going to post something similar - during Ramadan, I am waaaaaaaaaaay more relaxed, at ease, and easier going all around.

But, in the rare instances where something really irks me, I just remind myself that it is Ramadan, and all things happen as part of God's plan, so there is no sense in getting all worked up over something that I can't change.

ama6621

Assalamu Alaikum,
I too become amazingly calm Masha Allah when I fasting. No feeling of hunger, thirst or irritability Alhamdullilah. Perhaps it comes from too many years of fasting experience :) So my dear new muslim brothers and sisters, it will become second nature to you too soon Insha Allah. Till then, grab all the ajar for your troubles!

Assalamu Alaikum

Muslimah16

ServantOfAllah*
:salam2:

LOL
This is me in ramadhan:

:ma::astag::tti_sister::salah::girl3::SMILY346::confused:;):D:frown::hijabi::SMILY153::SMILY153:
:SMILY153::SMILY153::SMILY153::SMILY149::SMILY335::angryblue::angryblue::dishes::dishes::dishes::dishes:
:SMILY176::SMILY176::SMILY32::SMILY32::fighta::fighta::SMILY26::wavyarms::laughing-dancing::angryred::SMILY286::SMILY286::SMILY286::SMILY288:

LOL :D

Wassalaam