Fasting on the day of Arafah?

Shamim56

Muslim Brother
Assalamualakum brother's and sister's

Well from a post on the forums the members said to fast on thursday. I asked my dad about this and he said dont fast because its only for people who sacred the cow and that you have the fast until next day after eid prayer. I thought were only suppose to fast until maghrib? So i have to fast from fajr on thursday until next day after Eid Al Adha prayer?

Can someone explain it to me please

Jazakallah Khair

rightpath_357

Actually bro, people who are not at Hajj at the time, and can't stand on Arafat, they DO fast on that day. If you do fast, (PROPERLY) then all your bad deeds from last year, and I think the next, will be erased. It's because for the people at Hajj, it is FARD for them to go stand on Arafat, and since they have to make the journey, they shouldn't fast- right? But since we aren't there- we SHOULD. Sorry if I'm making you feel simple-minded:lol: Hope this helps
:)

rightpath_357

Oh- whoops-lol- NOPE- u fast just like u did in Ramadan. You only fast from sunrise till sunset. btw- Remember how the Phropet(pbuh) used to eat dates before he went to each Eid prayer?
There's my proof!
Salam:D

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Expiating the Sins of the Past and the Coming Year

FASTING THE DAY OF ‘ARAFAH:

The ninth day of Dhul-Hijjah is the day of ‘Arafah, [Thursday 26th November 2009] since it is on this day that the pilgrims gather at the mountain plain of ‘Arafah, praying and supplicating to their Lord. It is mustahabb (highly recommended) for those who are not pilgrims to fast on this day, since the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) was asked about fasting on the day of ‘Arafah, so he said, “It expiates the sins of the past year and the coming year.” [4] Likewise, the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said, ‘There is no day on which Allaah frees people from the Fire more so than on the day of ‘Arafah. He comes close to those (people standing on ‘Arafah), and then He revels before His Angels saying, ‘What are these people seeking.” [5]

Imaam at-Tirmidhee (d.275H) – rahimahullaah – said, “The People of Knowledge consider it recommended to fast on the day of ‘Arafah, except for those at ‘Arafah.” [6]

[4] Related by Muslim (no. 1162), from Aboo Qataadah (radiyallaahu ‘anhu).

[5] Related by Muslim (no. 1348), from ‘Aa’ishah (radiyallaahu ‘anhaa).

[6] Refer to Jaami’ut-Tirmidhee (3/377).

Hope this helps and explains it well, basically its not obligatory but highly reccomended that all those who are not gone on hajj and at arafat should take part in fasting inshaa`allaah