GOD particle!

MuslimShadow

scientists at the cern physics research centre near geneva claimed that they have found signs of HIGGS BOSON a.k.a GOD particle believed to have played a vital role in the creation of the universe after the big bang.

according to prevailing theories of physics this particle gives everything in the universe its mass.

if the research is successful then it will the most important discovery of 21st century modern physics.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum

The "God Particle" is nothing except a way for the media to cover the story and package it in a way to garner the interest of the public. (The very same media which has more pages dedicated to various celebrity mishaps than science).

Most people would not be as bothered reading a news story entitled "Higgs Boson elementary particle discovered".

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

Do you know the astronomical funds they have spent on this project...I mean it is over five billion dollars...chasing little photons...

It is as if they wish to capture the Unseen in their hands...the cookies for Santa will be stale and the milk has curdled.

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wabarakatuhu,

As a science student and a keen follower of the particle physics world I can say, the finding of higgs boson will not explain the creation of universe or the big bang. It will only explain what happened minutes after the big bang took place. It explains why sub atomic particles gain mass. So, the question why the big bang took place and what was there before the big bang still remains a big question to science.

And moreover, it is only a lead in finding it i.e. they have got a signal of it existing which could also be a false signal. And it can be only confirmed by number of repititions of the experiment.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The first three seconds...do we really need to spend such outrageous sums of money on this?
What question will this really answer? Have not our questions been answered?

wantobeMumin

:salam2:

for people who don not know what "god particle" is and why its called god particle.

the particles in search right now is a theratical particle which explains how mass of anything came into being. it was independentily therorized by two group of people and was named "higgs boson" after peter higgs.

the very nature that physicists predict about this particle is the fact that it can come in and put of existence and this causes fluctuation in the higgs field. therefore this hypothetical particle was known was " g*d damn" particle for all the frustrations it brought in finding it. Peter higgs is an ardent atheist just so u guys know.

when the Cern project started 15 years ago it was picked up by the mass media and conservative media pundits used " god particle" to make it sound better and to make it easier for the public.

I myself do not believe that they will find anything remotely close to Higgs Boson. it only look good in theory. it made sense when weak electromagnetic force was described by Abdus Salam and others but they used the higgs boson feild which is more plausible then a particle which explains the creation of mass.