Going through a depression...

Muslim_Gurl

Thank You Allah!
Assalamu alaykum

I'm going through a mild depression. I know I have to be patient, but if I seek help and take medication for my depression, am I still being patient?

Thank you
Wasalam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam,

Being patient does not mean a person takes no responsibility in finding help / cure for their problems.

May Allah make you feel better soon,

wasalamu alaykum

Ummah 99

This Quran verse will make you feel positive :):

And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient,

Who, when disaster strikes them, say, "Indeed we belong to Allah , and indeed to Him we will return."

Surah Baqarah Verse 155-156

Whenever feeling sad recite (2:156) it will make you feel better:
upload_2013-11-13_16-44-25.png

muhammad sabri

Salam sister, and Salam to all those in the thread i thought at first to write my own words but Brother Ummah 99 made the choice that i also thought to be the best..and that is to let Allah(May He be Exalted) answer you :) Read and Recite the Quran, but first try to do this..google ''quran word search'' then open the link and search words in the Quran like ''love,distress,light,peace,tranqulity,patience..and so on'' you'll find ALOT of surah in which allah..will..be ..directly..answering..you :) <3 With great love and nearness..Your brother :)

Precious Star

Salam sister, and Salam to all those in the thread i thought at first to write my own words but Brother Ummah 99 made the choice that i also thought to be the best..and that is to let Allah(May He be Exalted) answer you :) Read and Recite the Quran, but first try to do this..google ''quran word search'' then open the link and search words in the Quran like ''love,distress,light,peace,tranqulity,patience..and so on'' you'll find ALOT of surah in which allah..will..be ..directly..answering..you :) <3 With great love and nearness..Your brother :)

I know your advice was well-meaning brother, but please remember that Depression is a medical diagnosis that requires treatment. If anyone is ill, they should not just sit at home and read the Quran.

Allah SWT has given us so many options to treat Depression. These include counselling, medication, exercise, and certain forms of dietary changes.

Please take advantage of these options sister. Just because you are seeking medical or therapeutic help does not mean you are being impatient. I am saying this to you because "Mild Depression" can easily turn into "Major Depression" if you do not take the right therapeutic steps. Allah SWT always helps in our efforts so you must make efforts...Depression does not just "go away" with time, unless it is caused by a specific situation (for example, the death of a loved one, which requires time for grieving).

I am not suggesting you see a psychiatrist, but a counsellor and/or even your family physician will give you some help. Also, there are some natural remedies out there like St. John's Wort and Suntheanine. Getting enough sleep is necessary. And remember something. Exercise changes brain patterns. It is very important that you exercise. It is also important that you try new things so as to keep your mind active. I also take B complex vitamins, magnesium, Omega-3 (liquid) and a multivitamin every day.

Please take good care of yourself, and if you find that you are not getting better then please take the next step and talk to a professional.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

I remember the saying like "Allah helps those whose are ready to help them selves". Looking for help from doctor doesn+t mean that you are not patient but that you care about yourself.

:) My dua for you dear.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Sister, depression is a genetic condition. My mother has gone through quite a lot of depression, and I think I also have a mild form of it which bothers me from time to time. I tried to tackle it myself with lots of dua and adhkaar and dhikr, but in the end, that only helped a little bit, but not all the way. So I went to see a doctor and got some really mild type of medicines. They have helped tremendously, alhamdulillah. InshaAllah, there's nothing wrong with going to a doctor.

muhammad sabri

I know your advice was well-meaning brother, but please remember that Depression is a medical diagnosis that requires treatment. If anyone is ill, they should not just sit at home and read the Quran.

Allah SWT has given us so many options to treat Depression. These include counselling, medication, exercise, and certain forms of dietary changes.

Please take advantage of these options sister. Just because you are seeking medical or therapeutic help does not mean you are being impatient. I am saying this to you because "Mild Depression" can easily turn into "Major Depression" if you do not take the right therapeutic steps. Allah SWT always helps in our efforts so you must make efforts...Depression does not just "go away" with time, unless it is caused by a specific situation (for example, the death of a loved one, which requires time for grieving).

I am not suggesting you see a psychiatrist, but a counsellor and/or even your family physician will give you some help. Also, there are some natural remedies out there like St. John's Wort and Suntheanine. Getting enough sleep is necessary. And remember something. Exercise changes brain patterns. It is very important that you exercise. It is also important that you try new things so as to keep your mind active. I also take B complex vitamins, magnesium, Omega-3 (liquid) and a multivitamin every day.

Please take good care of yourself, and if you find that you are not getting better then please take the next step and talk to a professional.
OF COURSEE YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! I'm sorry i didn't made it clear! It is a MUST to go for the medical treatment as an obliged priority but accompanying this with Allah's dhikr will surely help :) Sorry again!

Last edited:

Ahsen

Depression is not a genetic condition. Don't listen to those who say that being patient means to just zip your mouth and act like you are being patient. Patient means that you acknowledge that you have a problem and do something about it or just get over it. Patience means to strive. It doesn't means to put a brake to life. Salah might help you. But don't get stuck in that islam has all the answers. What is the source of your depression. Look for answers.

Ummah 99

@Rawdah
I always recommend this to those who are feeling depressed- Try to remember all the good things that have happened to your life. Forget all the bad things what other people's say and what you faced in the past. Remember the good times when you were small and have enjoyed your life. Depression has become common and let me tell you when people tell you about it coming from your lacking of Imaan do not be disheartened. Everyone faces depression at some point or the other and feeling lonely or depressed does not necessarily mean you are a weak Muslim.

Let me tell you a tale.
Sahabah, Musab Ibn Umair (rah.) was a wealthy man, his parents were proud of him, he had a lot of friends. He was extremely handsome, so handsome that the girls used to gather in the streets having make-up so as to get his attention. He used to apply such a strong perfume that it would fill the streets. People could recognize him by his fragrance. Now this was Musab (rah.) when he was a NON-MUSLIM.
After embracing Islam his parents threw him out of their home. His friends no longer liked him, the girls did not feel anymore attracted to him. At that time Islam was regarded as a religion of the lower class. Musab (rah.) did not feel ashamed he was proud to live among the poor. He donated so much of his wealth that when he died the Sahabahs did not find any piece of cloth in his home to cover him. This man, he had so much wealth, wearing such expensive clothes, in the end did not have any cloth to be covered when he died.
The reason why you are depressed is because your heart is searching for a way to satisfy Allah, you need to worship Allah and thank him sincerely for what He has given you than what you want in the future. Only then you will find peace in your heart. I hope this inspires you. :)

And for your sleeping problem, before going to bed recite the last two ayahs of Surah Baqarah. Hadith says:
It was narrated from Abu Mas’ood al-Ansaari (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever recites the last two verses of Surah al-Baqarah at night, they will suffice him.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5009) and Muslim (2714).

Also recite Ayat-ul-Kursi as you lay down your head. Hadith says:
Recite Ayatul Kursi every night before sleeping, as an angel is appointed to guard the person till the morning.
Hadith Recorded by Imam Bukhari (rahimahullah) in his Sahih, Hadith (5010).

Ummah 99

@Rawdah

14377_862168577139990_1686229270817646315_n.jpg

T_E_S

Salam.

No, you should always be pro-active in dealing with problems including depression and should always try and lift it in a sensible way asap.

Hope you're well.