hair dilemma 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sister06

hair dilemma

:salam2:
i am sunni muslim n i want to know for definate whether or not women are allowed to cut their hair? some molifs say you cant others say you can.
around me, all the girls have their hair nicely cut and it gets to me n maes me want to cut my hair even more. is it gunaa to even think of having your haircut if it is not allowed?
i hate going weddings because they are soo UNislamic. they make it mixed.girls and boys!!! plus theres more girls then ever showing their hair cut which makes me thrive to do it!! i do know for a fact that my molfis n peersaab dont believe in haircuts. so please i need someone to make me not want to cut my hair..if that makes sense!!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:wasalam:

Firstly, in Islam everything we do is based on the Quran and the authentic Sunnah.

so if someone says something is haram, he needs to have clear evidence for that. In Islam, everything is Halal (allowed) until there is evidence on the contrary that states something is haram (forbidden)

Accordingly there is nothing in either of them which states that women can not cut their hair! I would be very careful of what these people say, especially "peersaab". To say something is forbidden, like cutting your hair is a sin, because they make the halal haram...

You can cut your hair as long as it is not a hairstyle like a guys! lol. Also of course the Hijab is obligatory. Its haram to show your hair to unrelated men.

There are some good articles here, inshaAllah you will find them of benefit:
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Feel free to ask more questions sister.

38khadj

Cutting of hair

As salaam Mo Alikum

I dissagree with the statement that you can cut you hair, that is the modern persection.
Our hair has to cover us on the day of judgement as we will stand naked and if you hair is to shoulder length then how will that be.
Your hair is classed as a beauty why cut it, we are ment to plait it.So that again indicates that you hair would have to be long to do so.
Also in Hajj why cannot you cut more than approx 2cm off again that would also suggest hair to be left long.
If you go on ask imam.com look under women ans No 25 it will tell you in full

I hope this helps

Wasalaam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
38khadj said:
As salaam Mo Alikum

I dissagree with the statement that you can cut you hair, that is the modern persection.
Our hair has to cover us on the day of judgement as we will stand naked and if you hair is to shoulder length then how will that be.
Your hair is classed as a beauty why cut it, we are ment to plait it.So that again indicates that you hair would have to be long to do so.
Also in Hajj why cannot you cut more than approx 2cm off again that would also suggest hair to be left long.
If you go on ask imam.com look under women ans No 25 it will tell you in full

I hope this helps

Wasalaam

Assalamu Alaykum,

May Allah bless us all and guide us all to the Straight path, give us knowledge and help us understand Islam better.

I am afraid your answer is wrong sister.

The Link you gave is full of wrong answers too, and I hope he brings evidence for what he says next time. His answer was lacking in proof. Islam is based on proof from the Quran and authentic Sunnah.

I bring my evidence that it is allowed for women to cut their hair, the most beloved and precious women in the world, the wives of the Prophet :saw: used to cut their hair.. So who are we to object?

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 320)

Imam Al-Nawawi said: "this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short."

Thats the answer from Imam Nawawi (rahimahullah) one of the greatest scholars in Islam.

Again, i stand by my previous answer. It is perfectly allowed for a woman to cut her hair, she can have it shoulder length if she wished.... It is however not allowed for her to have a men's hairstyle.. like a boy cut or shave her head.

May Allah protect the Muslims and guide them to the truth.

If i make any mistakes in what i say, may Allah forgive me. Please if anyone is answering questions, it is important to bring proper evidence.

Wasalam.

-------------
From IslamQA:

Question:
I am doing a project on Muslim women and would like to know what is the ruling concerning a Muslim’s hair. Is she allowed to cut it as much as up to her shoulder or not/ what about facial hair? Is it harem to get rid of it or not. Please answer and pray my imam is strong.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.
We ask Allaah Almighty to increase you in faith and to make you content with the truth.​

Your question includes two issues:​

1 – the ruling on cutting women’s hair. Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:​

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.
See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515​

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 320)

Al-Nawawi said: this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short.​

But women should avoid resembling kaafir women or immoral women when they cut their hair​

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan said:
It is not permissible for a woman to cut her hair short in the back and leave the sides longer, because this involves disfiguring and fooling about with her hair which is part of her beauty, and it also involves imitating the kaafir women. This prohibition also applies to haircuts which are named after kaafir women or animals, like the “Diana” cut, named after a kaafir women, or the “lion” cut or “mouse” cut, because it is haraam to imitate the kaafirs or to imitate animals, and because that involves fooling about with a woman’s hair which is part of her beauty.
Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 2/516,517​

2 – Removing facial hair.
Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
With regard to hair which is abnormal, because it grows in places where hair does not usually grow, such as a woman having a moustache or hair growing on her cheeks, there is nothing wrong with removing this, because it is abnormal and is disfiguring to the woman.​

The Standing Committee was asked about women removing facial hair, and they replied as follows:​

It is OK for a woman to remove hair on the upper lip, thighs, calves and arms. This is not the same as plucking (eyebrows), which is forbidden.​
‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194, 195​

The Standing Committee was also asked:
What is the ruling on a woman removing hair from her body; if it is permissible, then who is allowed to do that for her?
They answered:
It is permissible for her (to remove) everything except her eyebrows and the hair on her head; it is not permissible for her to remove those, or to remove anything from the eyebrows whether by shaving or any other means. She, her husband or one of her mahrams may do that for her, with regard to the parts of the body that they are permitted to see; or another woman may do that, with regard to the parts of the body that she is permitted to see
‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194​

The hair of the private parts and the thighs may not be seen by either another woman or a mahram.​

It is forbidden for a woman to remove her eyebrows or part of them by any means, whether it be by shaving, cutting, using a depilatory substance, because this constitutes the plucking for which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it, i.e., the women who plucks all or part of her eyebrows, claiming that it is for the purpose of beautification, or the woman who does that for her. This is changing the creation of Allaah which the Shaytaan promised to enjoin upon the sons of Adam.

See the answer to Question No. 2162, 1172, 1192
See also al-Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 3, p. 877-879​

sister06

sister06 said:
i am sunni muslim n i want to know for definate whether or not women are allowed to cut their hair? some molifs say you cant others say you can.
around me, all the girls have their hair nicely cut and it gets to me n makes me want to cut my hair even more. is it gunaa to even think of having your haircut if it is not allowed?
i hate going weddings because they are soo UNislamic. they make it mixed.girls and boys!!! plus theres more girls then ever showing their hair cut which makes me thrive to do it!! i do know for a fact that my molfis n peersaab dont believe in haircuts. so please i need someone to make me not want to cut my hair..if that makes sense!!

id like to add that my mashallah my mum, dad and sister have done hajj. inthe holiest place ever there are numerous warnings of not cutting your hair.
i have to agree with 38khadj becos it does say that when we die, we wil b naked n that womens long hair will cover thier private parts n 4 those who cut their hair they will not be shielded by anything but embarassment. thank you for reminding me of this..i forgot...i dont want to cut my hair now! thank you.

id also like to add that it is correct that bk in the day, our Prophet :saw: wives/daughters would cut their hair. but my sister told me that bk then, there were certain things that you could do then but now....time has changed..! i mean bk then ppl wud make women do all sorts..curcumcise themselves....:astag:

id also like to say to the adminstrator that i found it very offensive and disrespectful the way you inverted PEERSAAB. :mad: Id let you know that my peersaab is a very highly respected man and religious person whom many muslim high scholars respect.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
sister06 said:
id like to add that my mashallah my mum, dad and sister have done hajj. inthe holiest place ever there are numerous warnings of not cutting your hair.
i have to agree with 38khadj becos it does say that when we die, we wil b naked n that womens long hair will cover thier private parts n 4 those who cut their hair they will not be shielded by anything but embarassment. thank you for reminding me of this..i forgot...i dont want to cut my hair now! thank you.

id also like to add that it is correct that bk in the day, our Prophet

38khadj

Disagree

Mabsoot said:
Assalamu Alaykum,

May Allah bless us all and guide us all to the Straight path, give us knowledge and help us understand Islam better.

I am afraid your answer is wrong sister.

The Link you gave is full of wrong answers too, and I hope he brings evidence for what he says next time. His answer was lacking in proof. Islam is based on proof from the Quran and authentic Sunnah.

I bring my evidence that it is allowed for women to cut their hair, the most beloved and precious women in the world, the wives of the Prophet :saw: used to cut their hair.. So who are we to object?

Imam Al-Nawawi said: "this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short."

Thats the answer from Imam Nawawi (rahimahullah) one of the greatest scholars in Islam.

Again, i stand by my previous answer. It is perfectly allowed for a woman to cut her hair, she can have it shoulder length if she wished.... It is however not allowed for her to have a men's hairstyle.. like a boy cut or shave her head.

May Allah protect the Muslims and guide them to the truth.

If i make any mistakes in what i say, may Allah forgive me. Please if anyone is answering questions, it is important to bring proper evidence.

Wasalam.

-------------
From IslamQA:

Question:
I am doing a project on Muslim women and would like to know what is the ruling concerning a Muslim’s hair. Is she allowed to cut it as much as up to her shoulder or not/ what about facial hair? Is it harem to get rid of it or not. Please answer and pray my imam is strong.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.
We ask Allaah Almighty to increase you in faith and to make you content with the truth.​

Your question includes two issues:​

1 – the ruling on cutting women’s hair. Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:​

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.
See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515​

Al-Nawawi said: this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short.​

But women should avoid resembling kaafir women or immoral women when they cut their hair​

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan said:
It is not permissible for a woman to cut her hair short in the back and leave the sides longer, because this involves disfiguring and fooling about with her hair which is part of her beauty, and it also involves imitating the kaafir women. This prohibition also applies to haircuts which are named after kaafir women or animals, like the “Diana” cut, named after a kaafir women, or the “lion” cut or “mouse” cut, because it is haraam to imitate the kaafirs or to imitate animals, and because that involves fooling about with a woman’s hair which is part of her beauty.
Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 2/516,517​

2 – Removing facial hair.
Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
With regard to hair which is abnormal, because it grows in places where hair does not usually grow, such as a woman having a moustache or hair growing on her cheeks, there is nothing wrong with removing this, because it is abnormal and is disfiguring to the woman.​

The Standing Committee was asked about women removing facial hair, and they replied as follows:​

It is OK for a woman to remove hair on the upper lip, thighs, calves and arms. This is not the same as plucking (eyebrows), which is forbidden.​
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194, 195​

The Standing Committee was also asked:
What is the ruling on a woman removing hair from her body; if it is permissible, then who is allowed to do that for her?
They answered:
It is permissible for her (to remove) everything except her eyebrows and the hair on her head; it is not permissible for her to remove those, or to remove anything from the eyebrows whether by shaving or any other means. She, her husband or one of her mahrams may do that for her, with regard to the parts of the body that they are permitted to see; or another woman may do that, with regard to the parts of the body that she is permitted to see
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194​

The hair of the private parts and the thighs may not be seen by either another woman or a mahram.​

It is forbidden for a woman to remove her eyebrows or part of them by any means, whether it be by shaving, cutting, using a depilatory substance, because this constitutes the plucking for which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it, i.e., the women who plucks all or part of her eyebrows, claiming that it is for the purpose of beautification, or the woman who does that for her. This is changing the creation of Allaah which the Shaytaan promised to enjoin upon the sons of Adam.

See the answer to Question No. 2162, 1172, 1192
See also al-Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 3, p. 877-879​

Peace and blessing be upon you

what is wrong with people today, who do not respect the scholers of today,who have sacrifced their health, wealth, and time for the sole sake of ALLAH.
Approx 5 -10 years

If one does not love their scholars are void of Islamic knowledge, and start making their own knowledge up, satisfiy their own whims and desires for their own gain, not only that sending the people who do not know astray. Only ALLAH knows whats in their hearts.

One should look at ones self and ask how much have they done for the cause of deen.
It sounds very easy when it looks fruitfull and sweet, it also has bitter things which we choose the sweet and not the bitter, I speak for myself and nobody else.:astag:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
On what basis do you disagree?

Also, a scholar is not someone who has just studied for 5-10 years, it is a lifetime of work and effort.

If one does not love their scholars are void of Islamic knowledge, and start making their own knowledge up, satisfiy their own whims and desires for their own gain, not only that sending the people who do not know astray. Only ALLAH knows whats in their hearts.

Yes, this is correct and the case of those who say incorrect things without evidence.

This topic has ample evidence in form of Hadith and the explanation of one of the greatest Hadith scholars ever to grace this earth, Imam Nawawi.

This should suffice every Muslim. People should not look beyond the Quran and Sunnah for Answers.

To form a judgement or ruling, we deal with Islamic facts and accurate sources.

Wasalam.

sister06

1st of all i am sorry if i have/will offend any1
y i believe u cant cut your hair is because there are many cases where evidence from a hadith or other is provided

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Please do not carry on closed topics.....

Again i do not understand why it is so difficult to believe in the Hadith and linked Fatwa provided. Its very unfortunate. I dont understand.... you asked a question and are now so very adamant at supporting the incorrect view.. When no proper evidence is there for it. Its a big sin to reject a hadith, like the one that was provided.

"It is not befitting for a believing man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger, to have any option about their decision." [Soorah al-Ahzaab (33):36]

Again, there are no authentic hadith which say women cannot cut hair. The only ruling is that she should not copy men's hairstyles etc...

Secondly this is something that many of the Ulema of the Old like Imam Nawawi have already explained.......... What the Prophet :saw: says is enough.... A humble person would accept and leave it at that, instead of listening to what people say.

Here is the link to the article i posted before,
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=1374

Wasalam

Status
Not open for further replies.