Hairpins and Wudhu

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

Today I heard a very strange thing, that if a woman is wearing metal hairpins in her hair, then the wudhu isn't applicable. I asked "why?" and they said because the metal stops water from reaching that little part of the hair and its roots.

What? This isn't true, right? Just wanted to double check.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
It doesn't make sense..because think about it..if the woman's hair is long for example..and she's making wudu'u..unless she dips her hair in a bucket full of water or she SHOWERS..the water will NOT get to every bit of hair..that's why "mas'h" (wiping over) is allowed for women (and men with long hair)..even if it's over hijab! (when situation permits only that)..here are a few fatwas to go over which speaks of the mas'h aspect and such..

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/45867
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/112171

It's crazy what people will forbid and allow!..sister always check what you hear..sometimes people pull fatwas out of I don't know where and slap them onto people!..very frustrating!

I hope that the links I posted will help you

:wasalam:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I know, I didn't believe it one bit. It makes sense if you say the hairpin will stop the ghusl from being completed, because then the water does have to reach the tips, but mostly for wudhu only from the forehead to the back of the neck is wiped.

I have no idea how people come up with this stuff.

Jazakallah Khair :)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
I know, I didn't believe it one bit. It makes sense if you say the hairpin will stop the ghusl from being completed, because then the water does have to reach the tips, but mostly for wudhu only from the forehead to the back of the neck is wiped.

I have no idea how people come up with this stuff.

Jazakallah Khair :)

Exactly sister..you actually summed it up better than I would have..and it amazes where people get "Islamic verdicts" from as well..sometimes people say things that are so off the wall it takes you about a minute or two *just* to figure out if the person has picked *the wrong* topic to *joke about* before you begin to explain how wrong they are..May Allah Guide us!

:wasalam:

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: I have never heard this either but I do think it is important to make sure the water does reach the roots and hair clips towards the front or pinning back your fringe could obstruct this. I typically have my hair up at the back but no pins clips in the front so my wet fingertips reach the roots. Jazak Allahu Khair :) :wasalam: