Handling bacon when making a sandwich?

OsMaN_93

Here to help
salam alikom,

Living in the west makes it impossible to eat out! In the UK we have a food outlet called subway. They make your sandwich in front of you, and usually someone in front of you or behind you in the queue is ordering pig meat. So they make the pig inspired sandwich then make your sandwich.

Is okay for muslims to eat there? Surely little pig meat particles are not going to make the whole sandwich haram?

This is such a pain the backside sometimes, because I have to ask the guy serving food to change his gloves when serving me and then they all look at me strangely.

kayleigh

"pig meat particles" I'm sorry, but I giggled.

If it bothers you then there's nothing wrong with asking them to change their gloves. Surely they've been asked to do it before - whether it be for Muslims or Jews or because of food allergies.

I don't think you need to worry about it. If your intention was not to consume pork, then it's not like God is going to punish you because pork may or may not have momentarily come in indirect contact with your food.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
salam alikom,

Living in the west makes it impossible to eat out! In the UK we have a food outlet called subway. They make your sandwich in front of you, and usually someone in front of you or behind you in the queue is ordering pig meat. So they make the pig inspired sandwich then make your sandwich.

Is okay for muslims to eat there? Surely little pig meat particles are not going to make the whole sandwich haram?

This is such a pain the backside sometimes, because I have to ask the guy serving food to change his gloves when serving me and then they all look at me strangely.
Wa-alaykum assalam wa rahmatullaah,

Oh please..

1) It is not hard to ask those serving you to change their measly plastic gloves when making your sandwhich. It takes 10 seconds max, I'm being generous. 20 seconds if you want to additionally explain that you're Muslim and we consider pig meat unclean. 22 seconds if you want to add a nice big grin to accompany all of that, which I do recommend!

2) This is a question of Halaal and Haraam as commanded by Allaah, our Creator. You need to respect the status of something being haraam enough so that you are willing to spend an extra 22 seconds of your life to ensure to your best ability that what you consume is in accordance with Allaah's laws. As a muslim, this is your responsibility, tough job eh?

Why do we have to worry about such trivial things in Islam! It just makes life harder.
Please stop being dramatic about yes, something so trivial as asking someone to change their gloves.

That is what is actually trivial in all of this.

I don't think you need to worry about it. If your intention was not to consume pork, then it's not like God is going to punish you because pork may or may not have momentarily come in indirect contact with your food.

The point is that in asking them to change their gloves after you know they handled pig meat, you would have tried your best to ensure you are upholding Allaah's law, after that I agree you needn't worry.

Allaah through His mercy judges us according to our individual capabilities and within context, but is it really befitting for us to slack and be lazy after we know this?

We can never perform any amount of good actions to be deserving of His immense mercy, nothing we do makes us deserving of the gifts we have been given in life, yet we still want to trivialise what Allaah made haraam? As I type this, I can think of some examples where I could use this very same advice that Im putting here, this is just as applicable to myself as it may be to you.

We have to be willing to take those extra steps (which may be small because He is merciful) to ensure to our best capability that we're living within the boundaries He has set.

As Muslims we need to revive the tradition of our predecessors, revisit the stories of the Prophets, the Sahaabah, the Salaf and know these are not just some made up stories for the sake of passing the time, rather they relate the struggles and sacrifices of real people with real zeal for this deen.

My only conclusion is that we are 'out of touch' we need to adjust our eyepieces and definitions of what a 'difficulty' really is.

Mus'ab ibn Umayr (r)

Abu Dharr al Ghifaari (r)

More here

Wa-salaam

OsMaN_93

Here to help
x
Wa-salaam
thanks for your response, but please spear us the sarcastic undertone the next time you answer a question. I don't think it's trivial, especially if one is living in a sort of 'let's kill all Muslims' area. And I was hoping I could avoid all this hassle when buying my food...

I appreciate your reply though, and there is some sense in there.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
thanks for your response, but please spear us the sarcastic undertone the next time you answer a question. I don't think it's trivial, especially if one is living in a sort of 'let's kill all Muslims' area. And I was hoping I could avoid all this hassle when buying my food...

With regards to the 'lets kill all Muslims' approach, I can sympathise and empathise, may Allaah make things easier for you, strengthen you and keep you steadfast in the face of kufr, Ameen.

As for the rest, you get as good as you give akhi, I sensed sarcasm in your own tone..

Surely little pig meat particles are not going to make the whole sandwich haram?

You also referred to something you know very well to be quite important, as trivial and your tone was as if you were accusing Islaam as whole of being 'unnecessarily difficult', this is no light matter.

Why do we have to worry about such trivial things in Islam! It just makes life harder.

Well what exactly do you mean by such a statement? If we extrapolate this a bit, then the implications of this approach to the deen are no joke. (Not necessarily expecting an answer, just have a think about it?)

I will say however, the tone of my posts seem more blunt than I generally intend, something I've noticed over time ..

Wa-salaam

Idris16

I dont know if this helps but I myself dont eat in school. And i dont eat McDonalds and pizza when my family eats it. We have to be patient. As for the pizza, then Allahu knows best if they even slaughtered it islamically. I dont trust them. I wont eat haraam food, how then would I get my du`aa accepted? We are at the same age:)

But anyway, the meat the Subway has, is it even halaal? If no, then leave it!

As for sister Fajr, she is just speaking to us, we are her little brothers :p .

OsMaN_93

Here to help
With regards to the 'lets kill all Muslims' approach, I can sympathise and empathise, may Allaah make things easier for you, strengthen you and keep you steadfast in the face of kufr, Ameen.

As for the rest, you get as good as you give akhi, I sensed sarcasm in your own tone..

You also referred to something you know very well to be quite important, as trivial and your tone was as if you were accusing Islaam as whole of being 'unnecessarily difficult', this is no light matter.

Well what exactly do you mean by such a statement? If we extrapolate this a bit, then the implications of this approach to the deen are no joke. (Not necessarily expecting an answer, just have a think about it?)

I will say however, the tone of my posts seem more blunt than I generally intend, something I've noticed over time ..

Wa-salaam
I didn't intend on being sarcastic, I was just saying what I thought.

I'd rather not go into a debate on that stuff, but Jazak Allah khair for your help with what I originally asked.

samiha

---------
Staff member
salam alikom,

wa 'alaykum salaam

I know your question's covered, but really akhi if being looked at strangely is the least of your hardships then you've got it good. Real good actually.

There are still today parts of the world where Muslim women get spat at, their hijaab pulled at/off, harassed, cussed at, all for just stepping out the door in proper covering. Other parts of the world within certain groups, even just becoming Muslim is like hanging a death notice on your door. So be grateful if the problem is only with strange looks, and realize it's not a hardship, but just an aspect of Islaam, since as you know - Islam came as something strange, and will leave as something strange, and glad tidings are to the strangers.

And like sis al-fajr said, spend some time with the seerah of the Sahaabah, of many of the Salaf who bore so many difficulties just to live and die as Muslims, and no longer will petty world things seem that hard. It really is a matter of refocusing your understanding and getting a broader perspective. May you find ease in all your affairs.

wasalaam

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

Buy fruits and eat. I know it might be tough at times. But if you can not find a proper halal place to eat, then you should avoid eating over there. I once heard from a brother, which is not a hadith is that there is fatwa and then there is taqwa. So, even if you may find some way of eating in those restaurants (by asking to change gloves, etc) you should avoid eating there at all, just to be on the safe side. Allah knows best.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
salam alikom, thank you for your answers sister and brother

I know my questions sounds vain, and I will happily admit that I am sort of vain sometimes - sorry about that. :) I do appreciate that the sahaba went through hardship, and there are others in the world who are at a worse situations, however this doesn't mean that I should invite trouble to my door! It's like saying there are starving children in Africa, so you should stop complaining about being hungry...

I was just trying to avoid the whole situation but now that I know it's not justified, and indeed it is haram, I wont do it. Just trying my luck!

:salam2:

Buy fruits and eat.
I hope you're not telling me to become a vegetarian bro! I have tried it before and it was more than hard! I'm a student and I usually don't have time to cook, so those places are sacred for me - obviously not sacred but you know what I mean.