Hello

a_stranger

Yes brother, Prophet Mohammad salla Allah alaihi wa sallam is the example that was sent for people ( as all the prophets before him ). To understand hadith one have to study the life of the prophet , since many teachings were told in certain ciscumstances , or to clearify some issues. Brother science is human efforts to understand what is going on in this universe . Science is not perfect , otherwise we would not have different theories and laws through history. Yes scince is a great brilliant efforts, but keep we should never make science a God. Quran was not sent as book of science but a book of light and guidance still I am sure that there is no scientific fact ( fact not theory ) which codiracts Quran .
I pray that Allah open our hearts to his light and truth.

a_stranger

I like to add that history depends upon who writes it. We have many historic lies that dominates media.
With respect.

mezeren

Correct, but the Quran also says Muhammad is a prophet. And many of his teachings are not in the Quran, yet Muslims still rely on them if I am not wrong.

You are, as some muslims, are wrong. Every teaching of the Prophet(a.s.) regarding the religion is from Qur'an. And ,yes, there are so called sahih hadiths that contradicts Qur'an. That's why i am emphasisizing the matter.

a_stranger

I believe to have the correct picture , we have study more . We have to study Quran , tafseer, hadith , Serra of our prophet salla Allah alaihi wa sallam ( his life) , ask scholars who have more knowledge , otherwise we can't judge fairly. Allah subhanahu wa taaala told us to obey our prophet . Sahih hadiths clearify Quran and tell us more details. Meanwhile we should keep our faith in the one who created us, nourished us pure, sincere and firm, try to feel the sweetness of faith by more praying , doing good , clarifying intentions within our hearts. I am sure step by step things become more clear. We can understand Quran and hadiths more. Still we shall differ in some details since we people have different minds , different understanding but the main issue in Islam will unite us love of Allah and his prophets and seeking Janna. We need more humbleness , more purity in intention :

And remember:

Help you one another in Al-Birr and At-Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment. Verse 2 Surat Al Maeda

10. The believers are nothing else than brothers (in Islamic religion). So make reconciliation between your brothers, and fear Allah, that you may receive mercy.
Surat Al Hugurat

13. O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allah is that (believer) who hasAt-Taqwa [i.e. one of the Muttaqun (pious - see V.2:2)]. Verily, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware.

Surat Al Hugurat

And Allah knows best

mezeren

Yes brother, Prophet Mohammad salla Allah alaihi wa sallam is the example that was sent for people ( as all the prophets before him ). To understand hadith one have to study the life of the prophet , since many teachings were told in certain ciscumstances , or to clearify some issues. Brother science is human efforts to understand what is going on in this universe . Science is not perfect , otherwise we would not have different theories and laws through history. Yes scince is a great brilliant efforts, but keep we should never make science a God. Quran was not sent as book of science but a book of light and guidance still I am sure that there is no scientific fact ( fact not theory ) which codiracts Quran .

Assalamu Alaykum Sister,

To understand hadith, we must understand Qur'an. Qur'an itself was revealed to the muslims through Rasulullah. We have no doubt that Qur'an is the words of Our Creator and perfect and preserved. That is why, we take its verses as our ultimate guide. Obeying the massanger means, obeying Qur'an, therefore, obeying Allah. Hadith have not been preserved like Qur'an and we can not take them into consideration without the authority of Qur'an. That is what i mean. Science is all about understanding Sunnatullah, the laws of our creator and do not cotradict His Book.

i recommend you to have a look at the links below. I think it explains the role of Rasullullah(a.s.).

http://www.islamandquran.org/research/the-book-and-the-wisdom.html
http://www.islamandquran.org/resear...rding-to-the-quran-and-traditional-islam.html

mezeren

Correct, but the Quran also says Muhammad is a prophet. And many of his teachings are not in the Quran, yet Muslims still rely on them if I am not wrong.

No, Peter, all of His teachings were from Qur'an, so, they can not contradict the Book of Allah. Some of His teachings have been destorted over time and accepted as the religion and followed upon. But, that that does not make them correct. To sort things out, we need the authority of Qur'an.

mezeren

I do, which is why I am only looking at sahih and hasan hadiths. Do any of them contradict the Quran?

Some of them contradics Qur'an, indeed. Let me give you some example; According to Qur'an, the punishment for adultery for man and women and single or married is 100 lashes;

“Flog each of them, the adulterer and the adulteress, hundred stripes. If you believe in Allah and in the Last Day, don’t be tender to them when you perform the order of Allah. Let a party of the believers testify with their own eyes this punishment.” (An-Noor/ The Light 24:2)

But, according to tradition it is stoning to death. Please read the article below;

http://www.islamandquran.org/research/abrogation-and-punishment-of-stoning.html

ASlavery has been forbidden in the Qur'an. Even in a war, muslims can not take war captives as slaves or concubine;

So when you meet those who disbelieve [in battle], strike [their] necks until, when you have inflicted slaughter upon them, then secure their bonds, and either [confer] favor afterwards or ransom [them] until the war lays down its burdens. That [is the command]. And if Allah had willed, He could have taken vengeance upon them [Himself], but [He ordered armed struggle] to test some of you by means of others. And those who are killed in the cause of Allah - never will He waste their deeds.(47-4)

Therefore, one can not use them as sex slaves or whatever. The only way to have a sexsual relationship with the war captives is to marry them and you need to ask for their permission for the marriage. It is the same for male or female war captives. And, if you look at the examples of Muhammad(a.s.) you can see that he acted upon the verse.

Below is a book about the matter;

http://www.alirizademircan.net/doku...APCA-cariyeler-ve-somurulen-cinsellikleri.pdf

I have the hard copy of the book. it is in Turkish but at the end there is a part that summarise the book in English. I do not find it as pdf or word but can post the pictures if you need them.

So, more examples could be given but that is enough for now.

Take care.

Peter_502

Salaam alaikum and thank you everyone who answered. I will be busy for the next few days but I hope to respond within a week. God bless you and thank you again. Take care.

a_stranger

Assalamu Alaykum Sister,

To understand hadith, we must understand Qur'an. Qur'an itself was revealed to the muslims through Rasulullah. We have no doubt that Qur'an is the words of Our Creator and perfect and preserved. That is why, we take its verses as our ultimate guide. Obeying the massanger means, obeying Qur'an, therefore, obeying Allah. Hadith have not been preserved like Qur'an and we can not take them into consideration without the authority of Qur'an. That is what i mean. Science is all about understanding Sunnatullah, the laws of our creator and do not cotradict His Book.

i recommend you to have a look at the links below. I think it explains the role of Rasullullah(a.s.).

http://www.islamandquran.org/resear...rding-to-the-quran-and-traditional-islam.html
Wa alaikim alsalam wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuh brother.
I agree with you in all that you said about Quran . The early scholars of Islam in their study depend on Quran and sahih hadith( which a great effort was done by reliable men of knowledge and taqwa to collect them) ,the practice of the prophet and early muslems. I think we need a good effort , knowledge , and being expert in arabic to decide certain things.
Still I support that we accept our differences about certain issue with a true will to search for the truth. If we read history we find that scholars of Islam differ in their opinions through times but love of Allah , brotherhood, high morality gathered them ( this is the main issue of Islam which leads to Janna). I pray that Allah gather us all in Janna.

Wa alsalam.

mezeren

I think we need a good effort , knowledge , and being expert in arabic to decide certain things.
I pray that Allah gather us all in Janna.

Wa alsalam.

Sure, sister, we agree on that. Don't get me wrong, i am in no position to claim that i am a scholar, but, every muslim need the try to learn the religion. Not all of us could be a scholar but we have the capacity to read and understand Qur'an and the opinions of the knowledgeable scholars to have an informed desicion. Allah created us in a way, upon fitrah, that we could compare diffrent scholarly opinion and decide which is right or wrong. That is how i see it anyway. And, we, alone, will be responsible for what we believe and do.

Amin to your dua... Take care...

Cariad

Hello and salaam alaikum.

I am a non-Muslim who is interested in Islam. I used to believe Jesus is God and that the Bible is the word of God, I do not anymore. Although there are some parts of the Bible I still believe in and there are parts that are good, I don't believe anymore in some of the key doctrines of Christianity (ie Trinity, Jesus being God, etc).

I came to the conclusion above after realizing the Bible has many errors. I am considering becoming Muslim but before I do so I need to know that the Quran and sahih and hasan hadiths are also free of errors. I have some questions I would like to ask and discuss if that is ok.

Thanks and take care,
Peter
Hello Peter, may I ask did you used to be Catholic? Just curious, also may I ask you why you think the Bible was the word of God?

You do not have to answer if you don't want to as I know you are enquiring of Islam. So no problem if you do not wish

Peter_502

Thank you, A Stranger. Science is not perfect, but neither the Quran or the teachings of Muhammad should turn out to be scientifically false. Which I am not saying they are, I am still investigating though I've raised some questions in other sections of the the forum.

Peter_502

Assalamu Alaykum Sister,

Thanks for sharing. I have looked at the links. I don't know if I understand correctly, but are they saying that only the Quran is binding to folow and trustworthy but the hadiths aren't since Muslims are ordered to command messengers and not prophets?

Peter_502

No, Peter, all of His teachings were from Qur'an, so, they can not contradict the Book of Allah. Some of His teachings have been destorted over time and accepted as the religion and followed upon. But, that that does not make them correct. To sort things out, we need the authority of Qur'an.
What about teachings that do not defy the Quran?
Are Muslims to follow only what is in the Quran, and not what is in the hadiths?

Peter_502

Salaam alaikum.

Some of them contradics Qur'an, indeed. Let me give you some example; According to Qur'an, the punishment for adultery for man and women and single or married is 100 lashes;

“Flog each of them, the adulterer and the adulteress, hundred stripes. If you believe in Allah and in the Last Day, don’t be tender to them when you perform the order of Allah. Let a party of the believers testify with their own eyes this punishment.” (An-Noor/ The Light 24:2)

But, according to tradition it is stoning to death. Please read the article below;

http://www.islamandquran.org/research/abrogation-and-punishment-of-stoning.html
I think tradition states that the stoning to death part is for married adulterers and the single ones get the lash.
Why would Muhammad judge by what the Torah says, though? There are many mistakes in it. I find the theory interesting that the stoning that he ordered to be carried out was abrogated by whipping.

ASlavery has been forbidden in the Qur'an. Even in a war, muslims can not take war captives as slaves or concubine;

So when you meet those who disbelieve [in battle], strike [their] necks until, when you have inflicted slaughter upon them, then secure their bonds, and either [confer] favor afterwards or ransom [them] until the war lays down its burdens. That [is the command]. And if Allah had willed, He could have taken vengeance upon them [Himself], but [He ordered armed struggle] to test some of you by means of others. And those who are killed in the cause of Allah - never will He waste their deeds.(47-4)

Therefore, one can not use them as sex slaves or whatever. The only way to have a sexsual relationship with the war captives is to marry them and you need to ask for their permission for the marriage. It is the same for male or female war captives. And, if you look at the examples of Muhammad(a.s.) you can see that he acted upon the verse.

Where does the verse say that slavery is banned?

Below is a book about the matter;

http://www.alirizademircan.net/doku...APCA-cariyeler-ve-somurulen-cinsellikleri.pdf

I have the hard copy of the book. it is in Turkish but at the end there is a part that summarise the book in English. I do not find it as pdf or word but can post the pictures if you need them.

So, more examples could be given but that is enough for now.

Take care.
Thanks for the link, I looked at it. On which page is the English part, please? Wasn't able to find it. Thank you and God bless.

Peter_502

Hello Peter, may I ask did you used to be Catholic? Just curious, also may I ask you why you think the Bible was the word of God?

You do not have to answer if you don't want to as I know you are enquiring of Islam. So no problem if you do not wish
Salaam alaikum, Cariad. Thanks for your question and my apologies for the delay in response.
I was raised by Catholic parents, but left the church when I was a young adult and became Protestant. I did so because many of the teachings of the Catholic church were not in the Bible, and I believed that Christians should go by what the Bible says.
Why did I think the Bible is the Word of God? I was very impressed by many of the good things in it, especially the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels (which I still believe in and accept and try to live by) and the idea that God would love humanity enough to come down. I didn't really read all of it in any good detail and didn't see a lot of the mistakes and contradictions in it until a Muslim friend pointed them out to me.

Take care and God bless.

a_stranger

Salaam alaikum.

I think tradition states that the stoning to death part is for married adulterers and the single ones get the lash.
Why would Muhammad judge by what the Torah says, though? There are many mistakes in it. I find the theory interesting that the stoning that he ordered to be carried out was abrogated by whipping.

Where does the verse say that slavery is banned?

Thanks for the link, I looked at it. On which page is the English part, please? Wasn't able to find it. Thank you and God bless.

Assallamu alaikim brother Peter:
We (muslems) believe that the Old Testament is not exactly the Torah that was sent to prophet Musa alaihi alsalam ( peace be upon him), . It was changed by old people . Still there is agreement between Old Testament, New Testament and Quran in some parts, which I believe all from Allah subhanahu wa taaala.
I suggest that we concentrate on the islamic creed and morality . Islamic laws need some skill in tafseer, knoweldge of hadith and very good in arabic ( by the way not any arabic person have good skill in arabic : arabic should be studied ) , I think we should examine the opinions of the scholars concerning islamic Laws and see for ourselves.
Islamic creed gives logical correct answers to big questions humanity have. Islam put sincere pure faith in our creator. Islam make our personality quiet , stable, thankful, patient , peaceful and sincere by knowing Allah and his beautiful names ( the one who created us). When light and love of Allah settle in our hearts our attitude towards all that is around us will be balanced . This need a good practice by prayers ,( sincere ones).

With regards.

a_stranger

1. Alif-Lam-Mim. [These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'an, and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings].

2. Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists.

3. It is He Who has sent down the Book (the Qur'an) to you (Muhammad
saws.gif
) with truth, confirming what came before it. And he sent down the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel).

4. Aforetime, as a guidance to mankind, And He sent down the criterion [of judgement between right and wrong (this Qur'an)]. Truly, those who disbelieve in the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, for them there is a severe torment; and Allah is All-Mighty, All-Able of Retribution.

5. Truly, nothing is hidden from Allah, in the earth or in the heavens.

6. He it is Who shapes you in the wombs as He pleases. La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.

7. It is He Who has sent down to you (Muhammad
saws.gif
) the Book (this Qur'an). In it are Verses that are entirely clear, they are the foundations of the Book [and those are the Verses of Al-Ahkam(commandments, etc.), Al-Fara'id (obligatory duties) and Al-Hudud (legal laws for the punishment of thieves, adulterers, etc.)]; and others not entirely clear. So as for those in whose hearts there is a deviation (from the truth) they follow that which is not entirely clear thereof, seeking Al-Fitnah(polytheism and trials, etc.), and seeking for its hidden meanings, but none knows its hidden meanings save Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in it; the whole of it (clear and unclear Verses) are from our Lord." And none receive admonition except men of understanding. (Tafsir At-Tabari).

8. (They say): "Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate (from the truth) after You have guided us, and grant us mercy from You. Truly, You are the Bestower."

9. Our Lord! Verily, it is You Who will gather mankind together on the Day about which there is no doubt. Verily, Allah never breaks His Promise".

Translation of the meanings of Quran .
Surat Al Imran

Cariad

Salaam alaikum, Cariad. Thanks for your question and my apologies for the delay in response.
I was raised by Catholic parents, but left the church when I was a young adult and became Protestant. I did so because many of the teachings of the Catholic church were not in the Bible, and I believed that Christians should go by what the Bible says.
Why did I think the Bible is the Word of God? I was very impressed by many of the good things in it, especially the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels (which I still believe in and accept and try to live by) and the idea that God would love humanity enough to come down. I didn't really read all of it in any good detail and didn't see a lot of the mistakes and contradictions in it until a Muslim friend pointed them out to me.

Take care and God bless.
It's nice to take the time for response.. I thought you may have been Catholic for what you said about believing Bible to be word of God :) because most christians would say the Bible is the inspired work of God which is not the same as being the direct word of God as Islam claims for Qur'an, you are right many catholic teachings are not Biblical. Did you know for centuries church kept the Bible from the common people and they only knew about christianity from what the church taught them. A great many people faced persecution and died cruel deaths to bring Gods word to the common people because Gods word is for all people and easy to understand. I believe it was Gods will this happened. Because Yeshua said none can change word of God so God will always provide a way for His word to remain in mankind's hearts where it was always meant to be.

Maybe you should read more fully and not simply accept where there are errors on the say so of another. Because many errors, mistakes or contradictions are usually based on misunderstanding and I notice often muslims fail to see Bible verses in context. God does not send contradiction in His revelation, which means His message meant for mankind is consistent, which it is in the Bible. It's important to see the Old Testament as the unfolding of Gods plan and we see that in all the prophets who were all types or shadows of Yeshua to come. It is also a history of Gods people and we take important lessons from this. The Gospels are the fulfilment of Gods revelation as Yeshua, who I believe to be Gods word made flesh, fulfils Gods promise and we are born again into the New Covenant... If we choose of course :)

I don't believe God sent any "religion" Judaism, Christianity or even Islam. Because God is bigger than religion and He shows He wants communion with His creation. ALL of His creation. It seems that mankind has taken this simple concept and made it into something difficult and wrapped it up with lots of rules and regulations. When all God asks of us is we love Him with all our heart and soul and worship Him alone.

Sorry, I have written an essay that must read like a lecture or the Dead Sea scrolls :D. I am not known for few words. Apologies if I sort of sidetracked your post. I know you will get lots of good advice from Muslim members on this forum about Islam and your questions will be answered. There is no one but me speaks for Yeshua. :)

Peace and blessings to you and may the God we all love and share guide you.