Homemade Sweets

xAllahKnowsBestx

Assalamu 'alaykum,

I need easy, foolproof recipes for a bake sale.. apart from the typical muffin/cupcake/cookies thing. I'm not too good with baking so a recipe with less steps and ingredients would help :p Please do share if you have ideas!

JazaakAllaahu khayr.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Try Ginger cookies

IMG_2625.JPG

(Approx. 50 cookies)

200 g butter
250 g all-purpose flour
250 g white sugar
2 tbsp. syrup or honey
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. soda
2 tbsp. ground ginger

1. Put oven on 200 degrees Celcius.

2. Chop the butter into the flour.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients.

4. Knead the dough well.

5. Roll the dough into 2-2½ cm thick balls.

6. Place the balls on a baking tray (without any paper underneath).

NOTE: the balls flatten out by themselves in the oven, so make sure to keep a good distance between them - about 7 cm's apart. The bigger you make the balls, the more space you need between them... You won't be able to put all 50 of them in the oven at the same time, unless your oven is huge.

7. Put the tray in the middle of the pre-heated oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes until golden. Keep an eye on them after 8 minutes have passed, because depending on your oven quality and the size of your cookies they might already be ready to take out.

8. Let the cookies cool on the tray for a minute or two after taking them out of the oven, because when they're still hot, they break easily if you try to remove them from the tray! When the cookies are ready (not too hot anymore), transfer them to cool a bit more on a flat surface. Serve the cookies immediately or store them in an airtight container.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleykum

Dear sister, here i give you the most simple recipe i know :) i dont know if is suitable for a bake sale but sure is tasty:
Ingredients:
1 cup self raising flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
50g butter, melted
Method:
In a bowl mix flour and sugar.

Beat in the egg and then milk at little at a time until batter is smooth and lump-free.

In a hot pan or flat grill, brush butter over cooking surface and pour 1/4 cup measures for each pancake.

When large bubbles form on the surface, flip over and cook until lightly golden on the other side.

You can then fill them with some fruit pudding and roll.

Pancakes3_476.jpg

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
This too is easy:

Sesame sticks

sesame+sticks+(susamli+cubuk).jpg

½ cup canola oil
125 gr butter/margarine, softened
1 Tbsp vinegar
½ cup water
1 egg white (yolk is for the glaze)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt to taste
3 ½ -4 cups flour
½ cup sesame and/or nigella seeds

Mix the dough ingredients in a big bowl. Then, knead the dough until becomes soft and consistent. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.

Grab walnut size pieces and shape them into long sticks thick as pencil. Cut the sticks in 4-5 inch long. Brush each stick with the egg yolk you set aside before. Place sesame and nigella seeds (or only sesame) over a flat plate and dip one side of the sticks into it for covering with sesame and nigella (or only sesame) seeds. Take the sticks over a greased oven tray.

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and bake them for about 30-35 minutes or until they get light brown.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Cocoa and coffee brownies

brownie.jpg

This recipe produces cake-like, rather soft and light-textured brownies.

batter:
200 g butter
150 ml sugar
3 eggs
250 ml flour
100 ml cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar
100 ml freshly brewed strong coffee, preferably espresso
(100 ml chopped almonds)

icing:
1 portion of cocoa and coffee icing
First brew the coffee and set it aside to cool thoroughly.

Beat the soft butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and vanilla sugar and add to the batter through a sieve. Stir gently to mix, using a spatula or a balloon whisk.

Stir in the chilled coffee (and the almonds). Line a square-shaped cake pan (about 22 cm × 30 cm × 3 cm) with parchment paper, pour in the batter and spread it evenly in the pan with a spatula, smoothing out the surface. Bake at 200 °C for 15 - 25 minutes, or until a cake tester/toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool.

Frost the cake with cocoa and coffee icing and let it set at room temperature. Cut the cake in pieces and serve with vanilla ice cream, vanilla sauce, vanilla-flavoured whipped cream, strawberry, raspberry, mango or other fruit sauce, etc.

-----------------------------

COCOA AND COFFEE ICING
25 g butter
25 ml freshly brewed strong coffee, preferably espresso
200 ml icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla sugar
Mix together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla sugar. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and mix in the coffee.

Add the dry ingredients through a sieve and mix until thoroughly blended. Immediately spread or pour the icing on a cake, brownies, muffins, doughnuts, pastries, etc, and let cool until set.

xAllahKnowsBestx

Assalamu 'alaykum.

JazaakAllaahu khayr for the recipes! I think I'm going to try to make the cocoa/coffee brownies - looks soo good. I'll try the others when I have time insha'Allaah :D

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
OAT TOSCA SQUARES

oattosca.jpg

These crisp biscuits are extremely simple and quick to make, satisfying a sudden craving for a sweet snack with a coffee or tea.

100 ml melted butter
300 ml regular rolled oats
100 ml sugar
½ - 1 tbsp flour

Pour the warm, melted butter in a bowl. Add the rolled oats, sugar and flour and mix thoroughly.

Spread the crumbly mixture on a baking sheet (about 23 × 30 cm) covered with parchment paper, pressing lightly to form a 5 - 7 mm thick layer.

Bake at 200 °C for about 8 - 14 minutes, or until the edges of the oat mixture start to brown and the centre is golden brown.

Let cool on the baking sheet and when still slightly warm, cut into squares (see the picture on right). Cut off strips from the edges if they have turned too brown.

Serving suggestion:
If you like, decorate the cookies with a thin drizzle of melted dark or milk chocolate and let it set in a cool place.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
No baking but you can try also homemade sweets. Here are some recipes:

Praline

praline1.jpg

praline2.jpg

100 ml sugar
100 ml whole or chopped (blanched) almonds

Pour the sugar in a wide, dry frying pan, forming a thin, even layer. Place the frying pan on a medium-hot stove. Without shaking the skillet or stirring the sugar, let it slowly melt.

As the sugar melts, it will also start to caramelize, turning into a golden colour. As soon as the sugar has caramelized, stir in the almonds. Take care not to burn your hands, the hot caramel burns badly.

Stir the mixture for a while, until the caramel reaches a light brown colour. Immediately pour the hot mixture on a greased baking sheet, spreading it into a thin, even layer with a spatula. Let the mixture cool down and harden.

When cool, cut the praline in pieces and eat as candy, or use to garnish various desserts.

Praline is usually coarsely or finely chopped with a knife, or powdered in a blender, and used to flavour creams, custards, ice creams, cakes, butter creams, fillings, spreads, etc.

Additional information:
The almonds may be replaced or mixed with other chopped or whole nuts, like hazelnuts or pecans.

-------------------------------
HONEY-GLAZED WALNUTS

honey_wa.jpg

100 g shelled walnut halves
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey

Spread the walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Toast the nuts at 175 °C for about 4 - 5 minutes, or until they are lightly coloured.

Meanwhile, warm a small skillet on medium heat. As soon as the walnuts are sufficiently toasted, take them out of the oven and add to the hot skillet. Add the sugar and let it melt slowly. Lower the heat, add the honey and mix rapidly, just enough to evenly cover all the walnuts with the sugar and honey mixture. Be careful not to burn the mixture.

Pour the hot mixture on a parchment paper to cool, separating the walnuts apart. When cool, break the glaze-covered walnuts apart or coarsely chop them and serve sprinkled on top of ice cream, desserts or fruit salads.

Whole glazed walnuts may be served as a snack or candy or used to garnish cakes, desserts and fruit salads. Store the walnuts in an airtight jar.

----------------------------------
Peppermint patties

1 egg white
2 - 3 drops peppermint oil *)
icing sugar
(green food colouring)
(dark chocolate)

Place the egg white in a bowl. Mix lightly with a fork. Add a drop or two of peppermint oil, mix gently. Using the fork, gradually stir in sieved icing sugar until the mixture becomes quite firm and does not stick to your fingers any more. (You can colour the mixture pale green with the food colouring, if you like.)

The mixture should have a satiny shine and be easily kneadable, although not too dry or brittle. Taste the mixture and carefully add more peppermint oil, if necessary.

Take small pieces of the mixture (each weighing about 5 grams) and roll them into balls about the size of a small cherry. Place the balls on a waxed or parchment paper and immediately flatten them with a palette knife. Only roll and flatten one piece at a time, keeping the rest of the mixture covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying.

Keep turning the patties over until both sides have become dry to touch and will not stick to the paper any more. Allow the patties to dry overnight in a cool, dry place.

When the patties are completely dry, you can dip them in melted chocolate. You can also just drizzle them with chocolate or brush their tops with a fork dipped in melted chocolate (see the picture on right). Let the patties dry on wax paper.

The patties are delicious served with strong after-dinner coffee. They also make an elegant, sweet present.

*) Natural oil of peppermint (Mentha piperita). Only a couple of drops are needed to sufficiently flavour the candies. In some countries, peppermint oil is sold in pharmacies.

mints.jpg

mints3.jpg

mints2.jpg

xAllahKnowsBestx

Salam alaykum

Have a tasty moments with those soft brownies - but don´t eat them all alone.

:p

Wa 'alaykum assalam.

Psshh I'm making extra just for myself, lol. :p

JazaakAllaahu khayr for the recipes! Especially the peppermint patties - I LOVE anything mint + chocolate. I didn't know it only required a few ingredients.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

You like mint? Then you should visit in my herb garden. Last summer I had there 4 different mints: green mint, catnip, grapefruit mint and... peppermint. Fresh peppermint tea is lovely for evening tea.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

Please keep the recipes coming, sister harb. I'm planning on making the brownies when I get all the ingredients (don't have cocoa powder at the moment), and then I'll maybe make the glazed walnuts. I LOVE peppermint patties, but it'll maybe be difficult to find peppermint oil here. Maybe I'll ask at the pharmacy.

I wish I lived next door to sister harb, lol. :)

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Ok here is one more homemade sweet:

Chocolate truffles

c_truffl.jpg

150 g high-quality dark chocolate (semisweet or bitter) with high cocoa content (about 70 %)
75 ml cream
50 g unsalted butter
1½ tbsp soft brown sugar (firmly packed)
½ tbsp vanilla sugar

flavouring of you choice:

1. 1 tsp instant coffee granules
2. few drops natural orange essence and/or ½ tsp grated orange zest
3. 1 - 2 drops (or to taste) natural peppermint oil
etc...

garnish of your choice:
1. cocoa powder
2. icing sugar
3. roasted, chopped almonds or nuts
4. melted chocolate (dark, milk or white)
etc...

Place the cream, butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Heat and stir gently until the butter and sugar have melted. Bring the mixture almost to the boil and remove the pan from the heat.

Stir in the vanilla sugar and the flavouring of your choice. Add the chopped chocolate, let it melt and stir the mixture until smooth. Pour the mixture in a wide, flat dish and place in refrigerator for 1 to 1½ hours.

When the mixture is stiff enough, roll it into small balls (resembling truffle mushrooms) using your hands. A melon baller comes handy in here. Roll the sticky truffle balls in the garnish of your choice, or place the uncoated balls in refrigerator to harden and dip them into melted chocolate of you choice.

Place the dipped truffles on baking parchment to set. You may also just pipe the truffle mixture into miniature paper or tin cups. Store the truffles in a cool place and consume within a couple of days.

Makes about 20 to 25 truffles.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Marmalade confections

These marmalade confections of natural fruit and berry flavours are easy to make at home.

marmala1.jpg

60 ml thick berry or fruit puree, see instructions below
200 ml water
0,6 tsp (about 1,6 g) agar-agar powder or 6 g agar-agar strands
200 g sugar
(a few drops of lemon juice)
extra sugar for coating

For this recipe you can use fresh or frozen raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, apples, cranberries, blackcurrants, red currants, etc, or more exotic Finnish berries like lingonberries, bilberries or cloudberries. Even carrots may be used. More acidic berries, like lingonberries or cranberries, make the most aromatic marmalades, in my opinion.

To make the berry puree, place the fresh or frozen berries in a small saucepan. Bring the berries to the boil, crushing them with a spoon to release their juices. Let simmer until the berries have cooked down a bit. If you are using carrots, first peel and grate them finely, then cook until very tender, almost mushy, in a little dash of water.

Using a metal spoon, push the berry pulp (or the fruit or carrot pulp) through a fine sieve to get a thick puree and to get rid of any seeds, fibres etc. Cover the puree and set aside to cool.

Mix the water and the agar-agar powder in a saucepan. If you are using agar-agar strands, they must be soaked in the water overnight before cooking. Bring the mixture slowly to the boil, stirring continually. After the agar-agar has dissolved, add the sugar and bring the mixture to the boil again.

Stir until the sugar has dissolved, lower the heat and let the mixture simmer for about half an hour, or until the mixture forms a sticky thread when dropped from a spoon. Depending on the size of your pan, the cooking may take anything between 15 to 45 minutes. Stir the mixture every now and then during cooking.

Let the mixture cool for a couple of minutes. Then stir in the berry puree, mixing thoroughly. Taste the mixture. If it is very sweet and bland, you may add a few drops of lemon juice to give some acidity to the marmalades. Especially low-acidic berries and carrot seem to require this.

Pour the mixture in a small, rectangular or square pan. Cover the pan with plastic and transfer in a cool, dry place for the marmalade mixture to set. This should not take more than about one hour.

With the help of a thin rubber spatula, loosen the marmalade gently from the sides and bottom of the pan.

marmala7.jpg

Unmould the slab of marmalade on work surface or a cutting board. Cut the slab with a sharp knife in squares (see the picture above), or use some miniature fancy cutters to cut out various shapes.

Let the marmalade pieces dry uncovered for a few hours. Then roll them in superfine sugar. The surface of the marmalades is still slightly sticky, so the sugar will adhere to them easily. Place the marmalades on a tray and let them dry in cool room temperature for a couple of days, turning them occasionally, before storing them in a tin.

You can roll the marmalades in sugar again after a couple of days, in case the sugar coating has melted.

marmala5.jpg

Lingonberry marmalades

marmala6.jpg

Bilberry marmalades

marmala2.jpg

Carrot marmalades

marmala4.jpg

Raspberry marmalades

About agar-agar: Name: Agar
E-Code: E406
Description:
A seaweed derivative also known as agar-agar. It's a gelling agent used in the preparation of jello or jelly similar to the ones prepared from collagen which is an animal derivative. Islamically, agar is far better than collagen. It is typically sold as packaged strips of washed and dried seaweed, or in powdered form.

xAllahKnowsBestx

Salam alaykum

You like mint? Then you should visit in my herb garden. Last summer I had there 4 different mints: green mint, catnip, grapefruit mint and... peppermint. Fresh peppermint tea is lovely for evening tea.

Yumm :p I have peppermint tea bags.. if that counts as fresh.. lol Ginger tea is my favorite though. And green tea.

xAllahKnowsBestx

Those look so good but I have no idea what agar powder is or where I can find it. :p Sister Harb must have a secret chamber with all these crazy ingredients. :)

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Agar agar is usually used for preservation of jams. I will ask my friends in USA where they can find it.

If needed I can send it to you by mail if you want to try recipe.

:shake: