How about this...

rayray

I have read in numerous threads that it is haram to talk to a person of the opposite sex on matters outside work. But what about this, what if you do not know the sex of the person you are talking to?

For example, I know of this Internet site that let's you communicate with random, anonymous people across the Internet via chat. It randomly pairs up users online into one-on-one chat windows, where they can chat anonymously using the handles "You" and "Stranger". Either party can disconnect at any time. They also do not have to disclose any details about them. There are no profile page or anything. You would not know if you are talking to a 35 year old guy or a 16 year old girl. People go there purely... to talk.

I'm wondering, what is Islam's take on this? is it haram?

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with talking to anyone really, on the net or in person. I don't classify or put a barrier based on ones gender. A person first and foremost, is a person before his/ her gender.

Salaam!

Kakorot

I'm wondering, what is Islam's take on this? is it haram?

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with talking to anyone really, on the net or in person. I don't classify or put a barrier based on ones gender. A person first and foremost, is a person before his/ her gender.

Salaam!

Wa'alaykum asalaam. Free mixing in any form is haraam, especially if it is not necessary. We're not even allowed to have contact with people from the opposite gender unnecessarily through phone, email, msn and so forth. Going into chatrooms for the sake of just talking is a waste of time and is not a must.
You have to make up your decision of whether you want to follow Islam, or your opinion. In Islam, there is no room for 'my opinion' we take the religion purely from the Qur'aan and Sunnah. The religion is not taken from one's mind or intellect, but it is taken from the texts of Islam. As Muslims we're supposed to hear and obey.
Prophet Muhammad salAllaahu'alayhi wa sallaam said that never is a man and a women alone, except that shaytaan is the third. This can also be applied to the internet, as mankind is weak and the shaytaan has many tricks and is very decieving. When you start talking to the person of the opposite gender on the net, you may like what they say and want to keep in contact with them, so you exchange emails or msn details. Then after a while both people get attached to each other and may share photos and other details, thus causing fitna that can lead to sin. You see the deception of shaytaan?
In order to avoid fitna in the first place, we are told that it is impermissable to mix with the opposite gender unnecessarily in any form.

Here's a useful link: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/98793/chat rooms

Fi amaan Allaah.

kayleigh

If you're of the opinion that there should be no restrictions based on gender then does it really matter? By the way I agree with you, as long as you're not being seductive or flirtatious and are actually speaking about something of substance, so I'm not trying to be rude.

I know what site you're talking about though and I would probably stay away from it just because lots of people go on there to say outrageous things, rude things, perverse things just for fun/a joke.

adam_arb

hmm...I think I know what site you are talking about.

I used to go on it before...there are very weird people on it.

The fact of the matter is...say if you get paired up someone of the opposite sex shaytan will be between both of you...tempting you both, am really sorry brother but I can't remember the hadith word-for-word...but am sure someone else will post it. :)