HOW DO YOU ADDRESS YOUR PARENTS ???

palestine

Servant of Allah
are you perhaps from Somalia?

Asalamu Alaykum. i think he is. because hooyo and abo are from the somali language. i too address my mom and dad, as hooyo and abo. we usually never ever call them by their names, big disrespect. and when they call us we never say yeah, without adding hooyo or abo to it. MashaAllah we are all diverse groups here. salam.:hijabi:

AliIbanez

A Stranger in Dunyah
I called them MAMA and PAPA (but I wish they trained us to call them ITAY and INAY, which is more Filipino)

Jannah03

my own parents i call them Mama and Daddy sometimes i can out to my mom Ya Umm, but my bosinian parents (my best friends parents) ive been calling them mama and babo for about 8 years now mashallah, my other friends parents i call them mama or mommy

dianne

Salam,
Mine is - MAK ( mom ) & BAPAK ( DAD )
sometimes mama & papa
umi also can most muslim use in here.

wassalam

warda A

Sister
Is Abi the proper noun or Abba/ Aba.
Thats precisely what i was taught. To kiss my mother and dads hand. But i only do that when i leave my house
thank you
but i meant it in first person , yaani my dad= abi
but dad = ab
i dont know if it is aba or abba
jazakallu kheiran

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

My mother is "mamma" and my father is "pappa", in Norwegian.

But when I talk "about" them, not to them, i say "mor" og "far". But generally, it would mean grandparents hehe, in my native dialect, but where I live, some people call their mother mor and father far, not mamma and pappa.

talkadams

am from nothern nigeria i address my parents as "babah" for father and "Inna" in hausa language .May Allah forgive our parents who die ameen.

assalamo alaikum..

my best-friend is afghani..and she calls her mother that too..hehe

well I'm Arab..and I call mom..*mama* or *mom*..and dad..*baba* or *bab*..I've heard most people from the north of Iraq (where I come from) call their parents this way

most people in Iraq though...say...*yomma* or *yom*..for mom..and..*yaba* or *yab*..for dad

Salaam,

It's a small world after all :SMILY82: It's beautiful to see diversity in our ummah - Mashallah! For the most part, you don't even have to know ones language to distinguish which word is mother or father, notice how they all sound pretty similar.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:
am an arab too, so i call my mum yumma and my dad yaba.
but in correct arabic i think it is abbi for dad and ummi for mum.
and when i wake up in the morning or come into the house i say asalam aleikum and kiss their hands, for mum hand and forehead.
:wasalam:

aaaawwwww sister..i wish i can make myself do that (i'm not a very huggy-show-love-to-others-type-of-person..i feel weird about touching others..hehe)..and what country are you from?..it really warms my heart when I know other arabs..my family interacts only with 3 families (1 is not even arab..they're kurdish) in the city we live in..so i miss being around a lot of arabs :hijabi:

Salaam,

It's a small world after all :SMILY82: It's beautiful to see diversity in our ummah - Mashallah! For the most part, you don't even have to know ones language to distinguish which word is mother or father, notice how they all sound pretty similar.

it sure is brother!..and this sister..is also my only friend..and I love her very much for Allah's sake..subhanallah..though muslims come from different backgrounds..Allah (swt) puts this thing inside muslims' hearts towards each other..where they feel like they're siblings!..and the feeling is especially strong if they live in non-muslim lands..it's like He (swt) wants to comfort us with that..subhanallah!

wa alaikum assalam

Rahima Ali

I call my mum (Hoyo) and my dad "May Allah Rest his soul" (Abo), or sometimes UMMI 4 THE MOTHER AND ABI 4 THE FATHER!!