How to seek Laylatul Qadr - The Night of Power

Abul Harith

Staff member
Asalam 3laikom

Laylat ul-Qadr is the most blessed night. A person who misses it has indeed missed a great amount of good. If a believing person is zealous to obey his Lord and increase the good deeds in his record, he should strive to encounter this night and to pass it in worship and obedience. If this is facilitated for him, all of his previous sins will be forgiven.

Praying Qiyaam

It is recommended to make a long Qiyaam prayer during the nights on which Laylat ul-Qadr could fall. This is indicated in many hadeeths, such as the following:

Abu Tharr (radhiallahu `anhu) relates:

"We fasted with Allah's Messenger (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) in Ramadaan. He did not lead us (in qiyaam) at all until there were seven (nights of Ramadaan) left. Then he stood with us (that night - in prayer) until one third of the night had passed. He did not pray with us on the sixth. On the fifth night, he prayed with us until half of the night had passed. So we said, 'Allah's Messenger! Wouldn't you pray with us the whole night?' He replied:

'Whoever stands in prayer with the imaam until he (the imaam) concludes the prayer, it is recorded for him that he prayed the whole night.'…" [Recorded by Ibn Abi Shaybah, Abu Dawud, at-Tirmithi (who authenticated it), an-Nasa'i, Ibn Majah, at-Tahawi (in Sharhu Ma`an il-Athar, Ibn Nasr, al-Faryabi, and al-Bayhaqi. Their isnad is authentic.]

[Point of benefit: Abu Dawud mentioned: "I heard Ahmad being asked, 'Do you like for a man to pray with the people or by himself during Ramadan?' He replied, 'Pray with the people' I also heard him say, 'I would prefer for one to pray (qiyaam) with the imaam and to pray witr with him as well, for the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) said: "When a man prays with the imaam until he concludes, it is recorded that he prayed the rest of that night." [Masaa'il]]

Abu Hurayrah (radhiallahu `anhu) narrated that the Messenger (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) said:

"Whoever stands (in qiyaam) in Laylat ul-Qadr [and it is facilitated for him] out of faith and expectation (of Allah's reward), will have all of his previous sins forgiven." [Al-Bukhari and Muslim; the addition "and it is facilitated for him" is recorded by Ahmad from the report of `Ubaadah Bin as-Samit; it means that he is permitted to be among the sincere worshippers during that blessed night.]

Making Supplications

It is also recommended to make extensive supplication on this night. `A'ishah (radhiallahu `anha) reported that she asked Allah's Messenger (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam), "O Messenger of Allah! If I knew which night is Laylat ul-Qadr, what should I say during it?" And he instructed her to say:

"Allahumma innaka `afuwwun tuh.ibbul `afwa fa`fu `annee - O Allah! You are forgiving, and you love forgiveness. So forgive me." [Recorded by Ahmad, Ibn Majah, and at-Tirmithi. Verified to be authentic by Al-Albani]

Abandoning Worldly Pleasures for the Sake of Worship

It is further recommended to spend more time in worship during the nights on which Laylat ul-Qadr is likely to be. This calls for abandoning many worldly pleasures in order to secure the time and thoughts solely for worshipping Allah. `A'ishah (radhiallahu `anha) reported:

"When the (last) ten started, the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) would tighten his izaar (i.e. he stayed away from his wives in order to have more time for worship), spend the whole night awake (in prayer), and wake up his family." [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

And she said:

"Allah's Messenger (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) used to exert more (in worship) on the last ten than on other nights." [Muslim]

Adadpted from The Night Prayers: Qiyam & Tarawih by Muhammad Nasir ud-Deen al-Albani

Y

yusufali

Laylat ul-Qadr is the most blessed night

Laylat ul-Qadr is the most blessed night and it will be on the night 27 Ramdhan this year !

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

thanks for sharing, its definitely something we need to look out for.

Unfortunately a lot of people miss out on the benefits of Ramadan, many just see it as a "starvation" or a time when they eat a lot of food after dawn....

Ramadan is a blessing to mankind, in it Allah gives us chance to worship him, to reflect on our lives, the lives of other people, to think about our existance, to become humble and more caring.... and to be closer to Allah and increase our Iman. Just some of the benefits....

Akilah

Lailat ul Qadr

Assalam Alaikum

Inshallah you are all having a very succesful Ramadhan. With all due respect to Yusufali, I don't believe that one can say for sure that Lailat ul Qadr will be on the 27th, although it is commonly believed to be that night. The reason is because the Prophet PBUH did not tell us that it would be on a specific night, because when he was going to reveal the specific day he came out I think from his home and saw two women quarreling and so that information was not given to the Ummah. Rather, he indicated that we must search for it in the odd nights of the last 10 days of Ramadhan. Some Hadith indicate in the last 7 odd nights. According to this instruction that means that we must look for Lailat Ul Qadr on every night starting from the 21st, 23, 25, 27, **possibly 29th. Some ppl argue that this begins on the 20th, but I think that the most correct view is based on the 21st onwards, because the Prophet PBUH would do Itikaff from the 21st and Itikaff is for the last 10 nights of Ramadhan. In any case, Allahu-alim, but Inshallah I have not given any wrong info and you all and Allah will understand my good intentions.

Inshallah we will find this night.

masihuddin

laylatul qadr

:bismillah: In the light of Ahadis the blessed night is one of the odd night during the last ten days of Ramadhan that is it could be on the night of 21,23 25,27 or29th Ramadhan but because of confusion on the dates on account of differrances in moon sighting (Ramadhan started on saterday Sept 23rd in Saudi Arabia whereas in many countries it started on sunday Sept 24th ) it is safer to search the blessed night during the entire last ten days of Ramadhan