I feel attached to this dunya

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

Some days I just wake up with this feeling weighing my heart down..I think of all the things in my life and I worry about this..fear over that..question this..wish for that..and want to hasten this and that...

So then I start feeling down even more...

Because the thought of me being attached to this dunya crosses my mind...and I begin to freak out...I feel disappointed in myself :(

I'm sorry if I'm not making sense...It's becoming harder and harder for me to express myself as emotions pile up inside of me...

And due to much backstabbing...I have trust issues..and so I do not have very many friends...I had one..and she's gone...anyway..that's a different story...I just wanted to vent here...and I wanted to know...

Are these feelings that I get an actual result of my being attached to the dunya?..or is it just me being human...wanting to accomplish things and when I don't..I just think of them due to a "mental" cautionary form of coping with life???

:wasalam:

sal12

Yes recently I've started to feel the same way. I guess we just need to think of death more and realise the reality of this world - that it's just an illusion. Allah has described it as play and amusement and who knows this world better than the One who Created it?

My Allah guide us both!

pcozzy

Some days I just wake up with this feeling weighing my heart down..I think of all the things in my life and I worry about this..fear over that..question this..wish for that..and want to hasten this and that...

Because the thought of me being attached to this dunya crosses my mind...and I begin to freak out...I feel disappointed in myself :(

I'm sorry if I'm not making sense...It's becoming harder and harder for me to express myself as emotions pile up inside of me...

And due to much backstabbing...I have trust issues..and so I do not have very many friends...I had one..and she's gone...anyway..that's a different story...I just wanted to vent here...and I wanted to know...

Are these feelings that I get an actual result of my being attached to the dunya?..or is it just me being human...wanting to accomplish things and when I don't..I just think of them due to a "mental" cautionary form of coping with life???

go over Nawawi 40 hadith please. It should bring right on track in sha Allah. you probably know them but it is good to be reminded.

english tafseer: http://fortyhadith.iiu.edu.my/hadiths.htm
Arabic one : http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37234

hope that helps;

Rashadi

I know that feeling sister and I went through it over the summer. I had become attached to this dunya and I became really depressed and my iman had dropped. Islam is the only source of happiness and we should spent as much of our time doing what is right and staying away from the bad things. Make duah, ask Allah for help sincerely and He will remove this feeling inshaAllah. Everyone at times goes through it and the thing I have learned is that the more I devote myself to Allah wa Ta'ala the more my iman increases and I am more happy. This dunya is just a brief illusion and we know our purpose here and we should try our best to do as we are commanded by our Rabb and avoid becoming to attached to this dunya because it doesn't bring happiness. We can enjoy the good things in this dunya but we shouldn't allow it to dictate our lives and mood. I will make duah for you too sister and InshAllah it will go away.

SwordofAllah16

Heros of Islam

personally i think you just want to get away from these things rather then being attached or maybe im not making any sense but usually, when i think about the things you said i keep thinking i can't wait until this life is over...but then what if the book of deeds ends up on ma left insted of the right...what if i havn't done enough...what if [this is crazy] i don't have a child [it's just always been a dream of mine to raise a up a child who is a better muslim then me]
but that's probably a different issue to yours but its the result of people treating me as shall i say different all the time even amonst my own family members...i've always kind of been the joke...who no one takes seriously and the vaulnrabl guy being backstabbed and slandered became a normal thing to me but it annoys me soooo much that sometimes i wish for my death [but that's wrong so i take it back everytime i tink about it]

lol im writing a essay here i don't know if this helped or anything i just hope your not going through what i went through, it's not nice trust me.

leme quickly remind of a hadith

every day every new morning calls out to man, it says "ya ibn adam [correct ma arabic if im wrong] ana khalkun jaddeed wa ana amilika shaheed ikhtani minni fa inni la'uzu ila yawmal qiyama"

i remember reading on a thread you said you were arab i think so you might'va understood that if ma arabic is correct but for the sake of others the hadith goes

oh son of Adam, i am a new creation and i am upon your actions a witness so derive benifits from me, because the next time you will see me will be on the day of judgement

remember that everymorning or when you get those feelings. please forgive me if i have said anything wrong or if i've confused you even more

safiya58

my dear sister, reading ur post reminded me of Abu Bakr (ra) I read that He was once offered a glass to drink and suddenly start crying... so much that the others around him also cried. they asked him why he is crying and he said: I reminded Rasullalah (saw) once he tryed to remove something with his hands but I couldn´t see anything I asked him what he is trying to fend and he said it is the world it offered itself to me with all of its beauty and that there will be people from his ummah who will not be able to withstand.... and I cried cuz I was afraid that I couldn´t withstand to the temptation of this dunja bec of that glas of water... ." (plz forgive me my englich is not well and I also don´t know the details of the storry just replayed it as it was on my mind...)

just because a glas of water he (ra) felt like u do...! but he was not and I think u r also not....

I also feel like u sometimes... u can develope a programm: praying voluntary prayers accept the five obligation prayers... read tefsir of quran, even when u don´t have time at least 20 minutes daily, do thikr, everyday another name of Allah (of esma al husna)... fasting on monday and thursday, doing tevbe and so on... sometimes everyone is in an invironment where he have to think about worldly things... important is to be sure that all aims we follow like getting married, studying and so on are just one step climped on a ladder which is leading to our real aim: Allah

safiya58

personally i think you just want to get away from these things rather then being attached or maybe im not making any sense but usually, when i think about the things you said i keep thinking i can't wait until this life is over...but then what if the book of deeds ends up on ma left insted of the right...what if i havn't done enough...what if [this is crazy] i don't have a child [it's just always been a dream of mine to raise a up a child who is a better muslim then me]
but that's probably a different issue to yours but its the result of people treating me as shall i say different all the time even amonst my own family members...i've always kind of been the joke...who no one takes seriously and the vaulnrabl guy being backstabbed and slandered became a normal thing to me but it annoys me soooo much that sometimes i wish for my death [but that's wrong so i take it back everytime i tink about it]

lol im writing a essay here i don't know if this helped or anything i just hope your not going through what i went through, it's not nice trust me.

leme quickly remind of a hadith

every day every new morning calls out to man, it says "ya ibn adam [correct ma arabic if im wrong] ana khalkun jaddeed wa ana amilika shaheed ikhtani minni fa inni la'uzu ila yawmal qiyama"

i remember reading on a thread you said you were arab i think so you might'va understood that if ma arabic is correct but for the sake of others the hadith goes

oh son of Adam, i am a new creation and i am upon your actions a witness so derive benifits from me, because the next time you will see me will be on the day of judgement

remember that everymorning or when you get those feelings. please forgive me if i have said anything wrong or if i've confused you even more

dear brother don´t despair.. If u r not like u want to be struggle hard to become like that... and I´m sure if u put ur trust in Allah and struggle hard u will be there where u wanna be inshaallah... be strong brother.. it break my heard reading that u wish death... u r blessed with Islam and a greater blessing can not be given...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I think it is important to note that you have the level of understanding to realize that you are in a low state. But, what lies ahead is worth the wait. You are human. But that which the world has to offer...and how pleasing it is at times..is making you think..twice.
Insha'Allah, Allah will grant you Blessings as you strive..who said faith was passive?
Insha'Allah you are in my dua.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

This is something natural that most of us felt or feel throughout our life.

I know exactly what you mean by 'hasten to things'. I want to accomplish so much, go toward a certain direction and it's as if I can see that desired destination from where I'm currently at but I'm hindered by factors that I don't want to deal with.
Allah says: "hasten toward good", but He the Most High also said: "be patient".
It seems though you're a sister who is blessed with lots of ambitions. Masha'Allah! I think you will find what you're looking for once you're able to reconcile between 'hastening toward good' and having 'patience'.

Hey we are your friends!
Having few trustworthy friends are better than having many corrupt ones.
I pray that you're able to make trustworthy friends.

I don't think some of us can completely 'detach' ourselves from Dunya so suddenly. Rather it's a process that becomes easier as we acquire more knowledge and as we gain a greater understanding of the Deen and feel closer to Allah and His Rasul :saw:.

Also loving certain things in this life doesn't translate into being 'attached to dunya'. I believe the love the Sahabas (may Allah be pleased with them all) had toward Allah and His Messenger :saw: was so great that any worldly affair was insignificant when compared to Allah and His Messenger :saw:.
I think we also need look into the human side of the Prophet :saw: and the Sahabas (may Allah be pleased with them).

The reason I'm saying 'human side' is because sometimes we are so impressed by their sacrifices and ibada, that we feel like we will never attain that level.
The Sahabas (may Allah be pelased with them) were farmers, merchant, they had to go out to the market to make money. They had families and children whom they loved very much, and many of them had hobbies like composing poetry or doing archery. This is not to say they were attached to Dunya.

May Allah give us the right perspective in things, and help us find the harmony and balance between our different duties. Ameen!

Ideally all of us would like to be in this world "as if we were a stranger or a traveler", but to reach that level it takes time and understanding.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

but that's probably a different issue to yours but its the result of people treating me as shall i say different all the time even amonst my own family members...i've always kind of been the joke...who no one takes seriously and the vaulnrabl guy being backstabbed and slandered became a normal thing to me but it annoys me soooo much that sometimes i wish for my death [but that's wrong so i take it back everytime i tink about it

Assalamu Alaicum dear brother
Inshallah you are in the best state of faith and health. Ameen

Dear brother your story is to hard for heart to take. It hurts but still gives strenght. Alllhamdullilah you have been reworded from Allah to be a Muslim and to have a heart full of love and for every belivier Allah is enough for him.
I know sometimes is hard to go through this life, but Allhamdullilah we should be on this world like strangers becouse this world will pass very fast. It will stay only soul and deeds and memory on one moment.

Memory on the moment of loving Allah and His Messanger. Memory on loving your familly and people who love you. Memory on rein and its drops and after that the brightness of sun. After sun the moon and its beautifull stars. And than the night and its beauty. In that night you are alone with your Lord, you do not see Him but He is there, and than you know that Allah is enough for you. You know that Allah is with you.

Dear brother do not be afraid to walk throught this life alone, becouse you will never be alone. When everybody leaves you Allah will be there for you and Allah is the Greatest protector of His honest servantes.

Today I was also so much hurted brother becouse I put a thread that I wrote from the bottom of my heart, and I wanted to share it with my brothers and sisters but brother Mabsoot has delated my thread without any reason.
It has hurt me so much becouse I wrote the story of my heart, that were my feelings and they were delated just like that. But Allhamdullilah we must forgive becouse forgivness is from Allah and Allhamdullilah it is our duty.

Just like I have forgive to brother Mabsoot, , you too brother should also forgive to those who have hurt you Inshallah.

And if anything helps you I consider you seriously dear brother and Allhamdullilah other brothers and sisters too.:) We are very proud on you Mashallah

May Allah bless you dear brother and our beloved Ummah.

Your sister Asja

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Have you tried possibly unifying your objectives? Say you have a goal, an aim which is ...dunya based, but then ultimately you know your goal to avoid Hell fire and attain paradise is one that supercedes any dunya related goal, but unifying them, making whatever you strive for in dunya pave the way for you to prepare to leave this dunya in the best of states and manner ..using it to maximise your chances of recieving Allaah's mercy ..

Also, something I do is write stuff, expression through words? when I think im thinking far too much and there are suddenly far too many dimensions and platforms, confusing, messed up ..take a pen and try to express it, maybe it will work for you.

pcozzy

Solution and sure is the Answer

This is what I think you are experiencing and it is a good sign for u, in sha Allah. There is nothing wrong with this feeling.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Imam Nawawi Hadith 20 - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The concept of Al-Haya' (modesty)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][This page was last updated: 11/06/02][/FONT]
attachment.php

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Abu Mas'ud 'Uqbah bin 'Amr al-Ansari al-Badri, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
"Among the things that people have found from the words of the previous prophets was: 'If you feel no shame, then do as you wish.'"
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][Al-Bukhari][/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]background[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Haya' can be translated as: modesty, shame, shyness or bashfulness, as pointed by Ustaz Jamaludin Zarabozo.
The word haya' is derived from the word "al-hayah", which means life, as if the person who has no haya' (modesty) is like a dead person.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Islam encourages and treasures al-haya' or modesty. It is one of the most important characteristics that each and every Muslim should acquire and posses.[/FONT]
The following are some hadiths which emphasize this great quality:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Haya' (modesty) and Iman (faith) are two that go together. If one is lifted, the other is also lifted."
[Recorded by al-Hakim]

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Al-Haya' is part of Iman."
"Haya' does not produce but goodness."
[Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim]
[/FONT]
Possible interpretations of the text
[/FONT]
Due to the form of the text, it may be interpreted in many possible meaningful ways. Imam Ibnu Rajab pointed out two interpretations of the text according to early scholars:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]First interpretation: If you have no modesty, then do whatever you wish and Allah will punish you for what you do.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] This mode of expression is well known in the Arabic language, and it is used for threatening someone. This mode is used by the Qur'an in Surah Fussilat: ayat 40.
Second interpretation: If you are contemplating an act and it is an act such that there is no reason to be ashamed of doing it before Allah or the people, then you may do that act.
Modesty is used as a criterion over whether or not to do a certain act. The command here is in the form of displaying permission.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]However, there is a valid third interpretation given by Ibnu al-Qayyam who is a scholar from the eighth Hijrah century. He is in the view that the command is not what is meant by this statement. Instead, it is a statement of fact. The meaning is: If a person does not have any modesty, then there is nothing to prevent him/her from doing anything. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Haya' is one of the most important factors that keeps a person from committing a sinful act. If a person has no haya', he/she will do almost anything.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]lessons[/FONT]
There are two aspects of haya' : Natural haya' and acquired haya'. The later is attained as a result of knowing and realizing the Glory of Allah and His attributes.
[/FONT]

There are many manifestations of haya' as mentioned by Ustaz Jamaludin Zarabozo in his commentaries on the Forty Hadith:
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [*]Having haya' towards Allah - a Muslim should feel ashamed to have Allah see him doing - or hear him saying - something that displeases Allah, especially when that Muslim is alone and out of the view of humankind.
    [*]Haya' towards the angels - as they are noble and dignified creatures who witness the acts performed by humans.
    [*] Haya' towards other humans - an essential characteristic that keeps people from harming one another and from performing indecent acts.
    [*]Haya' towards the person him/herself - a person should be ashamed of him/herself when he/she performs acts that are shameful. If he/she notices that his/her haya' level is low he/she should improve it by remembrance of Allah, getting closer to Him, and fearing Him.
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This great concept of haya' or modesty should be promoted through all possible means and at all levels and by everyone: educators, teachers, lecturers, parents, and du'at (preachers). It is unfortunate that today, and because of technology misuse, this great concept is threatened. Hence there is greater responsibility for the Muslim du'at, parents, educators, etc. to shoulder. The evildoers are promoting anything that distorts and corrupts haya'. Those people are taking advantage of the system where technology advancement is double sided. It is positive and beneficial on one hand, but it can be negative and destructive on the other. Muslims should learn, master and use Information Technology (IT) positively to promote what is good and beneficial. By mastering IT they should make deliberate efforts to be in control of it and minimize its negative destructive side such as by designing and producing filtering softwares.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The same thing can be said about the media, where it is entertainment oriented. Entertainment is taking new destructive directions which negatively affect the concept of haya' a great deal. If haya' is distorted, iman (faith) can be distorted too. The chances of committing sins and evil will be higher, and the chances of delaying or neglecting obligations will be higher as well. Even chances of committing crimes will be higher due to these new directions of entertainment, where crime, drug addiction, distrustful acts, and adultery are all looked at as means of entertainment. Semi naked bodies, songs that promote evil, etc. are aspects of new entertainment. Unfortunately, we Muslims borrow media material from the West without any kind of evaluation, filtering or classification. More instructions and guidelines are needed from media organisers regarding the nature of movies and TV. There should be programs for families' awareness.[/FONT]

Haya'
can sometimes be abused as a justification for not doing something or giving up an obligatory act. For example, being silent or passive in the presence of falsehood or oppression for no reason except claiming haya'. Or using haya' as an excuse for not encouraging good or discouraging evil. Unless, for both of teh above mentioned cases, there is another good reason for not doing these acts such as considering the most likely expected harmful consequences.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Another example of abusing haya' is to use it as an excuse for not seeking knowledge. In many Muslim cultures this matter is confused and misunderstood where there is a proverb or cliché that says: "There is no modesty in asking questions in religious matters". But this cliché is only practiced in a few certain sensitive issues. However when it comes to seeking knowledge in a classroom, the situation is different. Most Muslims become shy and use modesty as an excuse. Parents at home, teachers at school, even lecturers at Universities add to the problem where they may treat asking questions as a sign of not being modest. This attitude needs to be changed to the right, positive one.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Another example is using haya' as an excuse for not doing what is correct and allowed. You know that something should be done and it is good and allowed or is even a recommended or obligatory act. However, you simply give up and do not do it because of a claimed haya'. Not giving sadaqah (charity) to a needy in front of others, not taking away a harmful material from the street or the path of the Muslims, or not helping or giving a hand to a disabled or an elderly person to cross the street are some good examples of this phenomenon.[/FONT]
conclusion
[/FONT]

Haya'
or modesty is a great Islamic concept that leads to goodness and keeps a Muslim away from doing a bad or indecent act when its level is maximized. Treating bad actions, as shown by revelation, as evil acts and feeling ashamed of Allah to do it and ashamed of the community, are ways of acquiring haya'. Iman and haya' are linked. When there is iman, there is haya', and vice versa. All of us are borne with natural haya'. However it is subject to be spoiled due to environment and dominating ideologies. Technology misuse has its negative and destructive impact on haya'. Muslims need to be aware of such challenges and exert their effort to overcome them. Haya' cannot be used as an excuse for not doing good deeds and acts.

[/FONT]

Attachments

• hadith20arabic.gif
    hadith20arabic.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 122
  • nawawi20.mp3
    412.7 KB · Views: 11

nori suja'i

Assalamualeikoom,
The most important thing that not everybody can afford in life is 'SABR' (patient) as Allah surely will test us.
Just be patient even sometimes u'll feel hurt for what ppl gossip behind u or make fun of u, i believe if u really patent, no retaliation insyaAllah Allah will be at ur side as i had experienced before.
As a muslim u dont have to worry, be happy just istighfar and do dzikrillah a lot. Dont bother about other things as long as u know Allah loves u.

abu turaab

:salam2: sister just keep remembering death!...as the Prophet said.."Be in this world like you are a stranger"..meaning a muslim shouldn't attach his/her heart to this duniya..we must learn matters by heart(with sincerity)and not by indulging our hearts into the duniya(loving it and making it a goal)
Unfortunately these days muslims are doing the opposite!!...they indulge their hearts into this duniya for pety things and when it comes to involving hearts for Islam they seem to be showing off and lazy viz gaining knowledge of islam and understanding the matters in the light of this knowledge
A woman came to the mother of believers Aaesha (may ALLAH be pleased with her) and asked a remedy for the hardness of her heart..and she was told to remember death(as much as she could)..later she came and thanked as she got a cure to her heart!!...Indeed remembering grave benifits in many ways and removes much of the surplus(of all kinds)that goes on as a routine hindering ourselves from gaining acheivements(specialy of gaining knowledge of Qur'an and Sunnah and practicing it)

slave_of_Allah

Assalamu alikum dear 'Sword of Islam16'

I jus want to say that i know how you feel, because in my past, i too have felt suicidal, in fact very close in ending my life, but alhamduillah i have found the light now. Put all your trust with Allah, and leave all you worries with Him. Insha'Allah this will help you.

I will make du'a for you and I pray that Allah keeps you happy. Aameen.

Wa'alikum aslaam.

slave_of_Allah

Assalamu alikum dear 'a_muslimah86'

I know the feeling, we all feel like that from time to time, but remember that our iman decrease and increases all the time. Have patience, and try to remember death as much as possible. Not in a negative way, but in a positive way - remember you want to meet Allah in the next life. Another tip is to live like everyday is your last. Insha'Allah this will help you. I have learnt that Allah is enough for us, put all your trust with Him, and don't worry about a thing, because Allah knows all, and sees all. And verily Allah will help you, for He doesn't leave any unanswered prayers.

I pray to Allah to purify your heart for Allah only. Aameen. In my du'as always.

Wa'alikum aslaam.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.

:salam2: my dear sister

I understand how you are feeling and surely it makes sense. This happens to me also sometimes. Always try to remember the purpose of us being here and the origin of us. Our origin is the origin of our mother and father Adam and Hawwa ('alaihimussalam), which is Jannah. We are here for a very short period of time in which to prepare for our long journey to Aakhirah.

Try to keep in mind that Shaitaan will always try to take us with him to Jahannam. We are being given two options to take, either Jannah or Jahannam. No third option is given. On the way to Jannah, there will be mountains, hills, forests and all the types of difficulties. On the way to Jannah, we are welcomed on Red Carpet and in "seven" star hotels.

The more the iiman of a person is, the harder the tests will be. When a mu'min commits a sin, he/she feels that a mountain is above his/her head which may fall down every now and then. For hypocrites and those who have very weak iiman, it is like a fly which sits on their nose. So my sister it is the blessing of ALLAH (swt) that you feel like that. It is a guidance for you to be firm in His deen.

Sister try to do as many Nawafils as you can and try to remember death always. It is the best way to prevent from the fitnah of Dunya.

Hope this helps you sister. I will keep you in my duas inshaALLAH.

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

SwordofAllah16

Heros of Islam
You brothers and sisters Wallahi By Allah [i'm at home right now so i can't but] i feel like shouting out [even though you guys can't hear me] that I LOVE YOU GUYS FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH n may Allah give you All Jannah