I messed up SOOOOOOOO bad........

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome.

Inshallah all of the fasting today is going well and everyone is in good spirits.

Your sister here messed up really bad today. What happened is normally I set my alarm to go off about 30 mins before the Fajr prayer adhan (alarm in my case since this country doesnt have adhan). So anyway yesterday I was home sick and I set my alarm for 3 of the prayer times (which automatically changed my Fajr alarm that is ALWAYS set). Soooooo before going to bed last night I reset the alarm for Fajr to go off in the morning today and it did go off so I woke up and began to get ready for Suhoor when SOMETHING told me to go and check the time on the paper I downloaded that has all the prayer times and the suhoor and iftar times on it.

Anyway when I looked at the paper then I looked at the clock I was TOO LATE FOR THE SUHOOR!!!!!!!!!! It was the exact time for Fajr to start!!!! So that means I was NOT able to eat or drink anything at all before starting my fast this morning!!!! What could I do????? I said my Fajr prayer and began my fast. :girl3:

I cant believe how dumb I am!!!!! One good thing........at least I dont work either of my jobs today so that should make it a bit easier which is a blessing from Allah.

Please pray dua for me my dear brothers and sisters. I cant believe your sister is so crazy!!!! Maybe I need to suffer more for something I did wrong but that is a blessing from Allah too because I would prefer to suffer here on earth rather than in the hell fire later. So I am fasting!!! :)

One thing I forgot to mention though...........when the alarm for Fajr prayer first went off I sipped some water that I had on the bedside table........am I in trouble for that???? The alarm was still going off when it happened and I didnt realize it was time for the Fajr prayer at the time. Once I realized it was time for Fajr and not suhoor I didnt eat or drink at all.

Smile

be urself
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
dont worry my sister .... i pray for u that ur fasting will go so well & that this will never happen again ... this thing happend to me in sum year ...but i cant rememner when ..we were up late so no time to eat ...it happens ..no problem ..

Almaas

Asalaamualaykum,

Oh sister you're so sweet! Since you unknowingly drank some water while supposed to be fasting, it's fine; everything's about intentions and Allah (SWT) undoubtedly knows yours was pure.

I've also unintentionally missed suhoor many times before. :hijabi:

Walaykumasalaam.

QUESTION:

What is the ruling on one who eats or drinks out of forgetfulness during Ramadan?

ANSWER:

Praise be to Allaah.

That does not matter and his fast is valid, because Allaah says at the end of Soorat al-Baqarah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error”

[al-Baqarah 2:286]

It was narrated in a saheeh report from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that Allaah said, “I have done that.” And it was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever forgets that he is fasting and eats or drinks, let him complete his fast, for the One Who fed him and gave him to drink was Allaah.” (Agreed upon).

The same applies if he has intercourse because of forgetfulness; his fast is still valid according to the more correct of the two scholarly opinions, because of this aayah and this hadeeth, and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever breaks his fast in Ramadaan out of forgetfulness, he does not have to make that day up and he does not have to offer any expiation (kafaarah).”

(Narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Haakim).

This wording includes intercourse and other things that break the fast, if the fasting person does them because of forgetfulness. This is from the mercy, bounty and kindness of Allaah, for which we praise and thank Him.

source: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/22833/ramadan

Isra

aka Tree2008
Wa alaikome salam....

Jazakallah khairan for letting me know. I was so worried about the water I drank and really it was just a sip but still it was at the time I should have been fasting. Its a relief to know that it didnt break my fast.

It was narrated in a saheeh report from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that Allaah said, “I have done that.” And it was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever forgets that he is fasting and eats or drinks, let him complete his fast, for the One Who fed him and gave him to drink was Allaah.” (Agreed upon).

I cried while reading this. SO beautiful the words and the meaning. It touched me so deep inside my heart. Jazakallah khairan.

Ciiihan

sometimes it happened to me too, dont wory about that sister, and i think you are very thoughtful about your pray , and it is important for all muslims...

may allah bless you...

Almaas

Wa alaikome salam....

Jazakallah khairan for letting me know. I was so worried about the water I drank and really it was just a sip but still it was at the time I should have been fasting. Its a relief to know that it didnt break my fast.

I cried while reading this. SO beautiful the words and the meaning. It touched me so deep inside my heart. Jazakallah khairan.

Asalaamualaykum,

Anytime sister :hijabi:

To be honest your concern is inspiring, MashAllah, you have alot of Taqwa.

May Allah (SWT) bless & protect you and reward you greatly for your strife in His way. Ameen.

Waalaykumasalaam.

massi

Assalam Alaikom

at least you check out your time about sohoor :lol:

I wish if it happened for me too hehe ^^

but I don't think it will ...o_O there is my family and Mosque and adhane ...and the clock T_T

Isra

aka Tree2008
Assalam Alaikom

at least you check out your time about sohoor :lol:

I wish if it happened for me too hehe ^^

but I don't think it will ...o_O there is my family and Mosque and adhane ...and the clock T_T

Wa alaikome salam....

You are so lucky!!!! I pray you remain lucky all of your life. Ameen

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

dear sister Isra, dont be too harsh on yourself. :) These things with the alarms and waking up late either due to tiredness or alarm not going off happen to everyone now and then.

Also I dont get what you mean by suhoor/iftar timetable. Just look at the Fajr Adhaan time and you can eat before that. Fajr time doesn't vary a lot from a day to the next. It would probably be a minute later the next day from the previous day. So just look at your watch when you wake up, Insha'Allah that will give you a good rough estimate to how much time you have left for Suhoor.

Even if you weren't able to eat today(due to unforeseen circumstances), it's fine. Remember that the help to fast comes from Allah swt. With Allah swt's mercy, you would be able to pass the day without any difficulties Insha'Allah.

May Allah swt make it easy for all of us. Ameen. :)

:wasalam:

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
Wa alaikome salam....

you see !! I always tell u Islam is easy and Allah is the most merciful :)

kiki18

sister maybe you should download adhan at islamicfinder.com the adhan goes off automatically and if you don't use computer too often there's also a program to download it to your cell phone. it's practical and you don't have to worry about setting alarms, maybe just one for suhoor.

Isra

aka Tree2008
:salam2:

dear sister Isra, dont be too harsh on yourself. :) These things with the alarms and waking up late either due to tiredness or alarm not going off happen to everyone now and then.

Also I dont get what you mean by suhoor/iftar timetable. Just look at the Fajr Adhaan time and you can eat before that. Fajr time doesn't vary a lot from a day to the next. It would probably be a minute later the next day from the previous day. So just look at your watch when you wake up, Insha'Allah that will give you a good rough estimate to how much time you have left for Suhoor.

Even if you weren't able to eat today(due to unforeseen circumstances), it's fine. Remember that the help to fast comes from Allah swt. With Allah swt's mercy, you would be able to pass the day without any difficulties Insha'Allah.

May Allah swt make it easy for all of us. Ameen. :)

:wasalam:

As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan brother. I was just worried about sipping the water in the morning while the Fajr time was going off.

The suhoor/iftar time table is something I printed off the internet to show what the time table is for the prayer. Every month I print the prayer time table off the website Islamicfinder.org. During the month of Ramadan it has the Fajr and Maghrib times in bold then at the bottom it says "Fajr means both Fajr Athan and Imsak (starting fast) and Maghrib means both Maghrib Athan and Iftar (breaking fast). So this is the paper I look at every day seeing that we dont have actual Athan here where I live.

Usually I set the alarm to wake up at least 30 mins before the time for Fajr Athan (which is actually my alarm) and eat but last night I made a mistake when I set the alarm and set it exactly for Fajr time without realizing it.

To be honest today has been the EASIEST day of my fasting during Ramadan so far!!!! Allah has blessed me so much.

May Allah bless and reward us all.......Ameen.

Isra

aka Tree2008
sister maybe you should download adhan at islamicfinder.com the adhan goes off automatically and if you don't use computer too often there's also a program to download it to your cell phone. it's practical and you don't have to worry about setting alarms, maybe just one for suhoor.

Salam sis.........I did that with the one on my computer but the computer is off during the night so the Athan doesnt sound. As for my cell ...... I dont have one! Or I should say the one I have isnt working and I just use it for the alarm and to keep phone numbers in it. But that would have been a great idea.

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Salams Sister, I have found this information which can be very useful for all of us inshallah ,

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/66202/drinking at time of fajr

Is it essential to stop eating and drinking as soon as one hears the adhaan for Fajr?
What is the ruling on eating or drinking during the adhaan for Fajr? Because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If the iqaamah for prayer is given and the vessel is in the hand of any one of you, let him not put it down until he has finished with it.”.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The hadeeth mentioned in the question was not narrated in that wording. The wording of the hadeeth is:

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If one of you hears the call (to prayer) and the vessel is still in his hand, let him not put it down until he finished with it.”

Narrated by Ahmad, 10251; Abu Dawood. 2350; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood. We will discuss its meaning according to the scholars below.

Secondly:

It is obligatory for the fasting person to refrain from things which break the fast from the true dawn until the sun sets. What is means is when dawn breaks, not the adhaan. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night)”

[al-Baqarah 2:187]

So when a person becomes certain that the true dawn has come, he has to stop eating and drinking, and if there is food in his mouth he has to spit it out; if he does not do that, then he has invalidated his fast.

But if a person is not certain that dawn has come, he may eat until he is certain. The same applies if he knows that the muezzin gives the call before the time comes, or if he is not sure whether he gives the call on time or ahead of time: he may eat until he is certain. But it is better for him to stop eating as soon as he hears the adhaan.

With regard to the hadeeth mentioned above, the scholars interpreted it as referring to a muezzin who gives the call to prayer before dawn breaks.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Majmoo’ 6/333:

We have stated that if dawn breaks and a person has food in his mouth, he should spit it out and complete his fast. If he swallows it after knowing that dawn has come, his fast is invalidated. There is no difference of scholarly opinion on this point. The evidence for that is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar and ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with them both), according to which that Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Bilaal gives the call to prayer at night, so eat and drink until Ibn Umm Maktoom gives the call to prayer.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim. There are many ahaadeeth in al-Saheeh with similar meanings.

With regard to the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him), according which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If one of you hears the call (to prayer) and the vessel is still in his hand, let him not put it down until he has finished with it” – and according to another version he said: the muezzin used to give the call to prayer when dawn broke – al-Haakim Abu ‘Abd-Allaah narrated the first version, and said: This is saheeh according to the conditions of Muslim. Both were narrated by al-Bayhaqi, who said: If this is saheeh, it is understood by the majority of scholars as meaning that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) knew that he used to give the call to prayer before dawn came, thus the eating and drinking referred to were taking place just before dawn came.

The phrase “when dawn broke” is understood to be the words of someone other than Abu Hurayrah, or it may be describing the second adhaan, in which case the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – “If one of you hears the call (to prayer) and the vessel is still in his hand” – refer to the first call to prayer, so that it is in accordance with the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar and ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with them). He said: Thus the reports are in agreement. And Allaah is the Source of strength, and Allaah knows best.

End quote.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) stated in Tahdheeb al-Sunan that some of the salaf followed the apparent meaning of the hadeeth mentioned in the question, and they regarded it as permissible to eat and drink after hearing the adhaan of Fajr. Then he said:

But the majority are of the view that sahoor should stop when dawn breaks. This is the view of the four imams, and the majority of fuqaha’ of the regions, and was also narrated from ‘Umar and Ibn ‘Abbaas. The former quoted as evidence the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “… so eat and drink until Ibn Umm Maktoom gives the call to prayer, for he does not give the call until dawn breaks.” It is narrated thus in al-Bukhaari; in some versions it says: “… and he was a blind man who did not give the call to prayer until it was said to him: Dawn has come, dawn has come.” And the majority quoted as evidence the words of Allaah: “and eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night)” [al-Baqarah 2:187], and the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Eat and drink until Ibn Umm Maktoom gives the call to prayer,” and his words, “There are two dawns. The first one does not make it haraam to eat or make it permissible to pray, but the second makes it haraam to eat and permissible to pray.” Narrated by al-Bayhaqi in his Sunan.

Reports were narrated from some of the Salaf which indicate that it is permissible for a fasting person to eat until dawn breaks. Ibn Hazm (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated a large number of such reports, including the report that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab used to say: “If two men are uncertain about dawn let them eat until they are certain.”

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “Allaah has permitted drinking so long as you are uncertain, i.e., about the dawn.”

It was narrated that Makhool said: I saw Ibn ‘Umar take a bucket of Zamzam water and say to two men, “Has dawn come?” One of them said: “It has come,” and the other said, “No (it hasn’t),” so Ibn ‘Umar drank (the water).

Ibn Hazm said, commenting on the hadeeth asked about here and a number of similar reports: All of this refers to cases when they are not yet certain that dawn has come. Thus the Sunnahs are in accordance with the Qur’aan.

End quote from al-Muhalla, 4/367.

Undoubtedly most of the muezzins nowadays rely on clocks and timetables, not on sighting the dawn. This cannot be regarded as certainty that dawn has come. Whoever eats in this case, his fast is valid, because he was not certain that dawn had come, but it is better and safer to stop eating.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: What is the ruling on the fast of one who hears the adhaan of Fajr but continues eating and drinking?

He replied:

What the believer must do is to abstain from things that break the fast, eating and drinking etc., when it becomes clear to him that dawn has broken, if the fast is an obligatory one such as in Ramadaan and fasts in fulfillment of vows or as an act of expiation, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night)”

[al-Baqarah 2:187]

If he hears the adhaan and knows that this is the call for Fajr prayer, he must stop eating. If the muezzin gives the call to prayer before dawn breaks, then he does not have to stop eating, and it is permissible for him to eat and drink until it is clear to him that dawn has come.

If he does not know whether the muezzin gives the call to prayer before or after dawn, then it is better and safer for him to stop eating when he hears the adhaan, but it does not matter if he drinks or eats something during the adhaan because he does not know whether dawn has broken.

It is well known that those who live in cities where there are electrical lights cannot know whether dawn has come at the time when it breaks, but they can follow the adhaan and timetables which give the time of dawn, hour and minute, in accordance with the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Leave that which makes you doubt for that which does not make you doubt.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever avoids doubtful matters will have protected his religious commitment and honour.” And Allaah is the Source of strength.

End quote, from Fataawa Ramadaan, compiled by Ashraf ‘Abd al-Maqsood, p. 201

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: You said that we must stop eating when we hear the adhaan, but a few years ago they did not stop eating until the end of the adhaan. What is the ruling on that action of theirs?

He replied:

The adhaan for Fajr prayer may be given either after dawn breaks or before. If it is given after dawn breaks, then one must stop eating as soon as he hears the call, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Bilaal gives the call to prayer at night, so eat and drink until Ibn Umm Maktoom gives the call to prayer, for he does not give the call until dawn has broken.” If you know that this muezzin does not give the call to prayer until dawn has broken, then stop as soon as you hear him. But if the muezzin gives the call based on a timetable he follows, or based on his watch, then the matter is less serious.

Based on this, we say to this questioner: You do not have to make up what is past, because you were not certain whether you ate after dawn had broken. But in the future you should be careful; when you hear the muezzin, stop eating.

End quote from Fataawa Ramadaan, p. 204

And the Shaykh said, pointing out what is said about timetables being inaccurate:

Because some people nowadays are uncertain about the timetables that people have, and they say that they give the time of dawn too early, we went out into the desert with no lights around us, and we saw that the dawn came later, and some people exaggerated and suggested that the dawn comes twenty minutes later.

But it seems that this exaggeration is not correct. What we think is that the timetables that people have nowadays give the time of dawn in particular as five minutes early, so if you eat whilst the muezzin is giving the adhaan according to the timetable, it doesn’t matter. Some muezzins, may Allaah reward them with good, give the adhaan five minutes later than the time given in the timetables as they exist at present, as a precaution, but some ignorant muezzins give the adhaan for Fajr early, claiming that this is on the safe side with regard to the fast, but they forget that they are being careless with regard to something that is more important than the fast, namely Fajr prayer. So people may end up praying ahead of time based on their adhaan. If a person offers a prayer ahead of its time, even if he says the opening takbeer, his prayer is not valid…

From Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol 19, question no. 772

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

salam alaykum

it isnt that bad u know......what i do is a back up which is i eat something medium b4 going to sleep so that jz in case i dont wake up for suhoor i survive :D........+ my motivation is think of the people who cant afford a loaf of bread but still fast....now thats hard!

ummsami89

want me to call and wake you up for fajr sister?

sALAM ALAIKUM SISTER. I have done that many a time in the past Ramadans. Subhanallah. It makes for a hard long day. Want me to call and wake you up for suhoor? :) take care. no worries.
You will get a big reward for your suffering inshallah.
Your sister in Islam,
jamie:ma:

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
As salamo alaikome.

Inshallah all of the fasting today is going well and everyone is in good spirits.

Your sister here messed up really bad today. What happened is normally I set my alarm to go off about 30 mins before the Fajr prayer adhan (alarm in my case since this country doesnt have adhan). So anyway yesterday I was home sick and I set my alarm for 3 of the prayer times (which automatically changed my Fajr alarm that is ALWAYS set). Soooooo before going to bed last night I reset the alarm for Fajr to go off in the morning today and it did go off so I woke up and began to get ready for Suhoor when SOMETHING told me to go and check the time on the paper I downloaded that has all the prayer times and the suhoor and iftar times on it.

Anyway when I looked at the paper then I looked at the clock I was TOO LATE FOR THE SUHOOR!!!!!!!!!! It was the exact time for Fajr to start!!!! So that means I was NOT able to eat or drink anything at all before starting my fast this morning!!!! What could I do????? I said my Fajr prayer and began my fast. :girl3:

I cant believe how dumb I am!!!!! One good thing........at least I dont work either of my jobs today so that should make it a bit easier which is a blessing from Allah.

Please pray dua for me my dear brothers and sisters. I cant believe your sister is so crazy!!!! Maybe I need to suffer more for something I did wrong but that is a blessing from Allah too because I would prefer to suffer here on earth rather than in the hell fire later. So I am fasting!!! :)

One thing I forgot to mention though...........when the alarm for Fajr prayer first went off I sipped some water that I had on the bedside table........am I in trouble for that???? The alarm was still going off when it happened and I didnt realize it was time for the Fajr prayer at the time. Once I realized it was time for Fajr and not suhoor I didnt eat or drink at all.

wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

As my other beloved brothers and sisters made it all clear very well, I am not going to repeat them. But you know what? I messed up worse than you. yes much worse.

I had my Iftaar with some friends on Friday night. At that time, I was having a headache too. So I came home after Praying Maghrib. As the headache was still there after taking medicine and when it was time for Isha and Taraweeh too, I did not pray Taraweeh and came home after Isha.

Hoping to wake-up on 03:05am, I alarmed my phone to that time and kept near my ear, because I would have enough time to Pray Tahajjud, as Fajr Prayer was on 04:47am.

I ate nothing after Iftaar that night, except that little amount of water used to eat medicine. Went to bed at 09:30pm.

But.......

You know what happened? I could not wake up for Tahajjud, nor to Suhoor and nor to Fajr Prayer even. I woke-up at 08:11am on Saturday and felt really really really bad and sad. Subuhaanallah! How can it happen? I slept so early hoping to wake-up.

So when I woke-up, I went and took a bath and made Wudu. Then went to mosque and Prayed Fajr on Qada. :(

I did not miss any Fajr from Jamaa'ah in this Ramadan except this one. And this one not only missed from Jamaa'ah, but wasn't been able to wake-up at all. Subuhaanallah! :(

Still I feel sad about that. Please keep me in your prayers.

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
oh ! sister..
do not be sad..
you did nothing wrong...
oh! sister, why are you thinking like that....
you did nothing bad...
plz sis, dont be sad