I Want to Visit the Islamic Community Center...

Msophiine

I am seriously considering converting to Islam from Wicca. I would like to visit the Islamic Community Center near my house and speak with some people there before I make a commitment to Islam.

I don't currently own any scarfs. Do I need to wear a hijab to visit the community center? Or maybe I don't necessarily need to, but should I?

As far as other clothes go...would jeans and a T-shirt be okay? Or should I go for a long skirts and long sleeves or a dress?

Is there anything else I should be aware of? I've never visited a mosque or a community center before, nor have I had very much contact with Muslims in the real world. I don't want to say or do anything that will make me look stupid or be offensive.

Any advice you could give would be very much appreciated :)

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Salaam sis

I would advise you to dress modestly, not jeans and T-shirt. You don't have to wear the hijab as yet and I'm sure they will be sisters there who will be able to help you In Shaa Allah.

You won't be doing or saying anything to look stupid, just be yourself. Good luck.
:)

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
hello there :)

you don't have to wear the hijab. clothes wise, it best to wear something loose fit that does not show the shape of the body, so tight or fitting jeans or t shirts won't do nor any tops with a low cut. otherwise just dress conservative and you will be fine. It will be best to call first and let them know you are a non- muslim interested in islam and possibly converting and you would like to talk to an imam (cleric) so what would be the best time to come. This way you can meet the imam, a qualified person, to answer your questions on islam. Also, if you haven't done so yet then it would be good to read up on islam online and write done any questions that come up that you would like to ask.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
I am seriously considering converting to Islam from Wicca. I would like to visit the Islamic Community Center near my house and speak with some people there before I make a commitment to Islam.
Hey, there. I'm happy to read that you're ready for a visit to the mosque. =)
I don't currently own any scarfs.
If it's possible for you to get one, then go ahead. But if not, then that's ok.
As far as other clothes go...would jeans and a T-shirt be okay? Or should I go for a long skirts and long sleeves or a dress?

Definitely the long skirt and long sleeve, loose top.
Is there anything else I should be aware of? I've never visited a mosque or a community center before, nor have I had very much contact with Muslims in the real world. I don't want to say or do anything that will make me look stupid or be offensive.
I think you'll be just fine, if Allaah permits. The mosques around here are practically 'run' by the sisters, maybe it's the same in your area. Call them ahead of time, as the sister said, and make an appointment with the imam, but also ask for the imam's wife, they're usually on the masjid committee and are very helpful. That way you'll be more comfortable with a female helping you out and showing you around and perhaps along the way, you'll be able to meet many many helpful sisters through her and make a Muslim friend.

Do let us know how it goes, Allah Willing.

Everyone has pretty much said what I was going to say. When I first visited the two mosques in my area I called ahead and made sure to wear respectful clothing.