I was told no hijab at my work Walmart

:astag:salaam alaikum
i started working walmart few months ago and when they did interview me i was waering veil over my head and long dress after the position i applied i found out there were no muslim worked this before me in this store i was the first muslim in this position and the store had one muslimah who didnt put hijab and ofcouse me with the hijab , my supervisor came to on black friday at 5am morrnig as was helping custumers she said to me listen(i know you are new comer to walmart falimy and i dont know if they told you before this position is to hear costumers what they saying to you well and i dont think what you have over you hair whayou call that hijaab it fit this position, if you cant take off this maybe you should look for another job and see living here its hard to find job its small town and no one is going to hire you ,) , i when to assistant manager on my department and he came back and told me (i cant coach people around do as she said to you, this is america and its not overseas, )i told him im canadian muslim born i lived canada never had to throught this before i know america you have freedom of religion then he said ( that dont apply to you miss) and he said even if you try involve outsider to this problem it dont mean that you are going to get your way. when i asked palce i can pray they sent to me the bathroom or electric room with high voltage room , they make fun of me be the only wearing skirt

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:
thios is so sad :( :( :(
patience is the key

cant you sue them , i think you can ??? because the manager insulted you more like assistant manager i mean

wasalam alikoom :(
ill keep you in my duaa's

tarannumsamir

walekom as salaam,
sister they dont realize that they are making place for themselves in the hell fire,by
making fun of ur principles.
may allah swt give them the hidaya and they respect the principles of islam,ameen.
as salaamalaikum wa rehmatullah wa barakaatuhu.

tarannumsamir

walekom as salaam,
sister they dont realize that they are making place for themselves in the hell fire,by
making fun of ur principles.
may allah swt give them the hidaya and they respect the principles of islam,ameen.
as salaamalaikum wa rehmatullah wa barakaatuhu.

rony

As-salam sister, talk to a law professional. It is against the U.S.A. federal law to discriminate someone for his/her race, color, gender, religion, nation of origin and state law have to be tougher than federal law. When you talk to law advisor ask him/her to call Wal mart head office and most probably your problem will be solved. If you can get a written paper from your supervisor that you can not wear head cover while you are working and they can not accommodate a clean and safe place for you to pray. It will be a plus point for yoou to fight with them. By federal law they have to provide a safe place for every worker.
I had kind of similar problem with Geico insurance company and my problem was solved less than ten minutes. Do not let these people push you, the more you will take the harder they will push you. Big companies like Wal mart they have a lot of restriction from federal governmant, how to treat employees. Brother already said you can sue them, but I think that should be last option. Hope that will help you.

Shahzad

yeah thats exactly i was abt to say
Sue him
or wall mart. U will get a lot of money :D to live ur life peacefully.
GO for this sister
Rony is very very right

OsMaN_93

Here to help
u can still ask for your rights
im sure the police/court or wateva (im no expert in these stuff LOL) they will help or do something about it ??

q8penpals

Salam

I would start by writing a letter to the head of the Wal-mart that you work at, stating what exactly was said, by whom (with their job titles), and when exactly it was said.

Then state the facts about why you wear hijab and why you need a place to pray. Point out facts as to why being Muslim will not affect your job performance. Do you wear the blue vest for wal-mart? Are you willing to get a matching color hijab - if so, state that you would be willing to make sure that your clothing will coordinate with the Wal-mart uniform requirements.

Then end the letter by stating that you will assume that the attitude of the people involved does NOT reflect the attitude of Wal-mart - that Wal-mart will take appropriate steps to make sure that all of their employees are making sure they are following the rights of all by not discriminating on the basis of religion. (I am saying it this way from my business background - you do NOT want to blantantly accuse Walmart -or any other big huge business- without first trying to rectify the situation from the highest point - that could be just asking them to sue YOU for defamation, libel, or slander!).

Make sure you end the letter with a compliment to the company ("I really enjoy working and shopping at Wal-Mart. I hope that this situation can be resolved quickly so I can continue working for you and inviting my friends and family to shop at your store." - something like this).

And finally, I am not trying to insult you, but if your english writing in real life is like your writing online, GET SOMEONE ELSE TO HELP YOU WRITE IT! No one will take it seriously if it is full of grammar and spelling mistakes!!

Then, you can see what happens. If nothing happens, then you can speak with a lawyer (and it doesn't matter if you are not American - all people have rights in the US).

Good luck

Lana

muhsinah

May Allah help you with this, sis. And sister q8penpals gave very good advice. May Allah reward you for this and grant you something better.

bilalswife1983

salaam alaikum
jazaka aalah khirion , i dont think i can sue them im not an american im canadian muslimah

I really don't think that that matters. What they are doing to you is wrong and you should consult an attorney. He/she will be able to tell you if you can sue and maybe just scare them a little so that they will be better to you and you won't have to sue.

blue streak

Sister I always find solace and comfort in these verses from surah Al Mutaffifin when any situation like this arises.

Surah Al-Mutaffifin (Those Who Deal in Fraud)
29. Verily! (During the worldly life) those who committed crimes used to laugh at those who believed.
30. And whenever they passed by them, used to wink one to another (in mockery);
31. And when they returned to their own people, they would return jesting;
32. And when they saw them, they said: "Verily! These have indeed gone astray!"
33. But they (disbelievers, sinners) had not been sent as watchers over them (the believers).
34. But this Day (the Day of Resurrection) those who believe will laugh at the disbelievers
35. On (high) thrones, looking (at all things).
36. Are not the disbelievers paid (fully) for what they used to do?

Stay strong and do not sway one bit from your principles. In the end if you end up losing your job and bear it with patience inshallah you will be given something better from Allah.

muslimguy

:salam2: sister

I am sorry that you had to go through this, but remember this is a test from Allah Subhanaho wataala. I see some sisters with full haijab at the walmart that is next to my house and they 're been working there for as long as I remember, so I think, as the brother has suggested before, you need to try and get in touch with a district manager or some high level figure in the managemnt of walmart.

may Allah bless you and help you to be a better muslimah and grant you Jana. ameen.

Al Qassimi

I say be patient and wait for the Day of Judgment for surely Allah will punish them.

Allah is with you. May He strengthen you and guide you through you're life.

MTYKK

Banned
Look at their hypocracy

Taken from... http://walmartstores.com/Diversity/

Diversity

As the world's largest retailer, we value diversity and foster a working environment that enriches the personal and professional experiences of our associates, promotes excellence, and cultivates the intellectual and personal growth of the entire associate population. We make diversity part of our business plan, ensuring we can continue to be a global leader in all aspects of Diversity and Inclusion.
Dedication to Diversity and Inclusion touches every part of our business.

From our board of directors to our associates; from our suppliers to our customers. Our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion helps us build and retain a diverse workforce and supplier base. We extend our commitment into the communities where we work and live through various community outreach programs.
Diversity and Inclusion — It’s part of our success.

Our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion helps us serve our customers better — more than 127 million every week. And, it helps us provide a positive work environment for our associates — more than 1.36 million in the U.S. alone.

q8penpals

Salam

In my business Law class, one must make an attempt to rectify the situation before suing - that is why I suggested the letter to the district office.

Wal-mart is actually pretty well known (as a company) for hiring a diverse work-force and hiring those deemed "unhireable" by other companies. I have been to Wal-marts where there have been ladies in hijab working along side pregnant teens with tattoos and lots of piercings.

The problem isn't wal-mart - it is the managers who are telling her not to wear hijab. That is, again, why I suggested the letter. The managers may be required to go through sensititivyt training or a class on understanding Islam - in any case, the sister WILL be supported by wal-mart, as she is already employed there.

Write the letter firmly and be ready to speak to an attorney if necessary, but, insha'Allah a firm letter will help resolve the situation (even if it is that the hours of you and the manager are opposite so you don't work at the same time).

Good luck

Lana