Is Honeymoon Haraam?

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:
I recently read this about honeymoons......

Question:
After the wedding the couple travel to another place for a holiday, and this is called the honeymoon. What is the ruling on that?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

What the people call the honeymoon is when the husband takes his wife to another city or country, and these trips are usually to places of entertainment and sin, thus it is a reprehensible custom and bad habit.

This trip is even more reprehensible if it is to a kaafir country, as that results in many negative consequences that affect both husband and wife. The husband may be influenced by the habits and customs of the kuffaar, as he may turn away from his religion and good habits. The wife may be influenced by the kaafir women and she may give up her religious commitment and modest ways, and may look down on the good character and traditions of her people and drift away into corruption, promiscuity and wanton display.

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan said in al-Mukhallas al-Fiqhi (2/581):

Nowadays many wealthy young people travel after marriage to foreign, kaafir countries to spend the honeymoon there, as they call it, but in fact it is a “poisonmoon”, because it is a haraam month which leads to many evils, such as taking off hijab, wearing the clothes of the kuffaar, watching the bad deeds and foolish customs of the kuffaar, and visiting places of leisure, until the woman comes back influenced by these bad ways and looking down on the ways of her Muslim society. This journey is extremely haraam and those who do it must be stopped from doing it. The guardian of the woman should also prevent her from taking this journey. End quote.

Yes, if the couple travel someplace for a holiday, and there are no evils in the place they go to, or they take a journey that is approved of in Islam, such as travelling to do ‘umrah, for example, there is nothing wrong with that.

And Allaah knows best.

Of course some points in this could perhaps be debatable, but it's best not to copy the Kaafirs.

Kayote

:salam2:

Thankyou for that. Most insightful but I quite disagree on traveling part.

I do not think its wrong as long as the couple go there for their own company (get to know each other etc), one can learn a lot from kaafir (economic development, architectural development etc) & especially in todays age when we Muslims are lagging far behind in all fields of life.

Ofcourse, one should be modest & stay away from evil & not be impressed by the evils of their society, which I must admit is quite easy considering their economic development & care-free life style.

I get the feeling, Im contradicting myself...

Allah knows best.

:wasalam: