Is it true "Muslims do not believe in a messiah"???!

sky

:salam2: everyone,

I was shocked to read the following in an article entitled "Bethlehem 2007 A.D" in the Dec 2007 issue of the National Geographic Magazine:

"For Jews, still awaiting their Messiah, Froman says it's possible that he will arrive right here, in the eroded backcountry of Bethlehem, the presence of God palpable in the desert's sandpaper wind. For Christians anticipating their Messiah's return, why shouldn't he come back to the spot he was born? Muslims do not believe in a messiah - there is only Allah, only God - but Palestinian Muslims also revere this land as sacred, since Jesus is one of their prophets."

I have seen the use of the word "Messiah" in translations of the Quran (eg. 3: 45) so i feel that the above statement is not true.... unless the Jews and Christians have a different interpretation of "Messiah" from the Muslims.

Should feedback about this be given to National Geographic?

abou haytam

I was shocked to read the following in an article entitled "Bethlehem 2007 A.D" in the Dec 2007 issue of the National Geographic Magazine:

"For Jews, still awaiting their Messiah, Froman says it's possible that he will arrive right here, in the eroded backcountry of Bethlehem, the presence of God palpable in the desert's sandpaper wind. For Christians anticipating their Messiah's return, why shouldn't he come back to the spot he was born? Muslims do not believe in a messiah - there is only Allah, only God - but Palestinian Muslims also revere this land as sacred, since Jesus is one of their prophets."

I have seen the use of the word "Messiah" in translations of the Quran (eg. 3: 45) so i feel that the above statement is not true.... unless the Jews and Christians have a different interpretation of "Messiah" from the Muslims.

The Messiah son of Maryam and the false messiah (Dajjaal)

Question:
What is the difference between the Mahdi and the Messias?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The texts state that the awaited Mahdi will come at the end of time, and he will be a just ruler descended from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). He is not infallible, unlike the Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus – peace be upon him), on who, according to the mutawaatir reports will come down at the end of time and will rule according to the sharee’ah of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The difference between them is that the Messiah ‘Eesa is a Prophet and the Mahdi is a just ruler. For more details on the false messiah (Dajjaal), please see Question# 8806 .

And Allaah knows best.

Will we see the Mahdi et al. in our lifetimes?

Question:
I have read many signs concerning the appearance of the Mahdi, Dajjal, Prophet Isa. Signs that the Holy Prophet ( ) predicted. These signs have amazed me because they have almost all come true, or are happening at this moment. Signs such as time will pass quickly, drinking wine will increase, fornication will increase, singing will be common.. and so many more.
My question is, is that do you think that the coming of any of the three people named above is close and may it occur in our lifetime?
Thankyou.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The appearance of these three signs, the Mahdi, the Dajjaal and the descent of ‘Isa (peace be upon him), will undoubtedly happen, as is indicated in the saheeh reports. These three signs will appear within a short space of time, as ‘Isa (peace be upon him) will pray behind the Mahdi, and will kill the Dajjaal, as was reported in the saheeh ahaadeeth. As for when this will happen, Allaah knows best about that. As to whether it will happen soon, the texts seem to indicate this, but the question of whether it will be in our lifetime or after is part of the Unseen, which no one knows except Allaah. The Muslim should seek refuge with Allaah from fitan (tribulations) in general, and from the fitnah (tribulation) of the Dajjaal in particular; he should pray to Allaah, openly and in secret, to help him remain steadfast in this world and the next.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

abou haytam

Messiah in the qoran is Jesus (pbuh)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I think you should give feedback..especially if you're provided with more evidences of our belief in the second coming of Prophet Isa (pbuh)..
hadiths would be particulary excellent..I have personally read many authentic ones on the subject..so finding them won't be hard

salam