Is it waajib (obligatory) for non-Arabs to learn Arabic?

Idris16

Praise be to Allaah.​

We put the following question to Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen:

Is it obligatory for non-Arabs to learn Arabic?

He, may Allaah preserve him, replied as follows:

They have to learn as much as they need for Islamic purposes, how to pronounce the words and what they mean, such as the Takbeer, al-Faatihah and al-Tasbeehaat – those that are obligatory in the prayer and for other duties.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen​
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/6524/Jibreen

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Any person who sincerely wants to learn about this great Islamic knowledge that Allaah has sent from above the seven heavens... has to learn to arabic. I really really advise all our respected brothers and sisters to learn arabic- even if that is a little. Even if you study 15 minutes a day of arabic, then trust me- in a year's time you would have seen how far you have gone. There is so much free resources available to study... wonderful series of videos teaching you arabic right from the basics to an intermediate/advanced level.

Guys, fix up and begin quenching your thirst for knowledge. By Allaah, you cannot truely fear Allaah without having knowledge of Him, Subhaanah!

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalamualaykum
Thank you for the post.
I just want to share something from a non-arabic person's point of view...
Lately as the days were going by, I found myself wondering what is it that I am reading in Salah? What am I saying?? Alhamdulillah even without knowling the meaning, I used to feel it but I felt inside of me to know more.
I recently started a course developed by a Dr. Abdulaziz. They are offering it in the country where I am now. All materials are available online as well. The site is understandquran.com.
It is amazing how I am now connecting so much with the salah I am reading. I feel so much closer to Allah when I speak with Him and praise Him. I now know what I am saying and it makes me so humble in front of Him.
It really makes a difference to your connection with your Creator.
So in conclusion, I would also like to encourage all non-arabic speaking Muslims to make a start, not necessarily to learn Arabic as a spoken language but at least to know what you are saying 25 times a day when you make salah.
The site is very useful, make a start, it isnt very difficult when your intentions are good.
Allah wants us to seek knowledge, and it most definitely is worth it.