is taraweeh bid'ah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayleigh

:salam2:

a friend of mine recently brought to my attention an authentic hadith (Bukhari, I can post it later if I find it) which stated that the taraweeh prayer was invented after Muhammad (saw), but the hadith also stated that it was good after it was first done.

I know many Muslims think it's even obligatory, when it obviously isn't, but if it's bid'ah, does that mean I/we shouldn't do it, or since the hadith states that it's good, it's OK?

I know the majority of Sunnis do practice it, but I thought I'd ask since majority doesn't necessarily rule.

EDIT:
The hadith:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Ibn Shihab (a sub-narrator) said, "Allah's Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of 'Umar's Caliphate." 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Abdul Qari said, "I went out in the company of 'Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, 'Umar said, 'in my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)'. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka'b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, 'Umar remarked, 'what an excellent Bid'a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.' He meant the prayer in the last part of the night(Tahajjut).
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 32, Number 22

So not in general, but in congregation? I don't know, it seems odd. Explain? Why would he said it was an innovation?

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Salam sister,
Teraweeh is not Bid'ah . The prophet SAW did it. In fact, HeSAW was afraid people might make teraweeh obligatory.

Jannah03

Bismillah, Where did this 'friend' find such a thing? The Taraweeh prayer is sunnah dear. Aisha (ra) would tell how many rakats the prophet would do a night and how many witr rakats he would also perform. look it up yourself dear, and i would not take any knowledge from this person, until you can help teach them what is authentic. if you need some help let me know.

samiha

---------
Staff member
It's not true

TARAWEEH

The Ramadan nightly prayer has a special merit over other nights. The Messenger of Allah said: "Whoever observes night prayer in Ramadan as an expression of his faith and to seek reward from Allah, his previous sins will be blotted out." (Muslim)

In this hadith, faith means faith in what Allah has promised the observers of night prayers. To seek reward mean, the observer's intent is not for eye service or seeking special recognition from someone.

Taraweeh is derived from the Arabic root word, raaha, which means to rest, relax and use as recreation. It is so called because the believers used to prolong it. After every four raka'ats they would stop for rest and relaxation and resume until taraweeh was complete.

Taraweeh In Jamaa`ah

The Messenger of Allah (saas) was the first to establish the Sunnah of congregational, jamaa`ah prayer of taraweeh in the Masjid. Then he did not continue with the Sunnah for fear that it might be made mandatory on the Ummah in Ramadan, and they might not be able to do it. In the books of Bukhari and Muslim, 'Aishah (raa) has been reported as saying:

"The Messenger of Allah (saas) observed Taraweeh prayer in the Masjid one night and people prayed with him. He repeated the following night and the number of participants grew. The companions congregated the third and fourth night, but the Messenger did not show up. In the morning he told them, "I saw what you did last night, but nothing prevented me from joining you except my fear that it might be made mandatory on you in Ramadan."

This hadith is a clear indication that the Taraweeh in congregation was not an innovation of 'Umar, the second Khalifah, despite his saying to the contrary. For it has been related that: "Umar bin Al-Khattab attended the Masjid at night in Ramadan and saw people praying individually in every corner of the Masjid with a few in groups. He did not like the sight a bit. 'Umar said, `I thought it would be better to gather these under one Imam'. So, he combined them under 'Obayi bin Ka'ab and Tamimu Ad-Dari to alternate and lead the believers in eleven raka'ats of night prayer. The next day `Umar was in the Masjid which was full with Taraweeh prayers. He was delighted. He said: `Well, this is the best Bid'ah (innovation).'"

`Umar's use of the word bid'ah in this report has been presented and unjustifiably cited as justification for concocting up various so called good innovations. In truth, the Khalifah 'Umar's act to gather the believers in Jama'ah is not bid'ah.

For it was the Messenger of Allah himself who started jama'ah by praying in congregation the first and second day, then stopped only as he feared it would become mandatory. After his death, the fear of Taraweeh becoming mandatory (Fard) was not only remote, it was impossible. With the death of the Prophet Muhammad (saas), there will be no more revelation to change any law or rule by abrogation.

Number of Raka'ats in Taraweeh

As for the number of raka'ats in Taraweeh and Witr, the worthy ancestor, Salaf as-Saalih disagreed on the amount of Raka'ats. These numbers are mentioned for raka'ats: 39, 29, 23, 19, 13, and 11 raka'ats. Of all the numbers mentioned, none is sounder than 11 raka'ats. 'Aishah (raa) was asked how was the prayer of the Prophet (saas)? She replied: "He did not pray in Ramadan or some other times more than eleven raka'ats." (Muslim/Bukhari)

However, there is nothing wrong with praying more than 11 raka'ats. Perhaps that is why different numbers are observed. The Prophet himself was asked about night prayer and he said: "It may be done in two raka'ats, and if anyone fears the appearance of morning, he should pray one rak'ah as a Witr for what he has already prayed." (Bukhari/Muslim)

As this hadith indicates, if a person is to pray individually at night, by daybreak he would have prayed one hundred and one raka'ats, or more.

In their desire to pray more raka'ats, some people make Taraweeh in extreme speed. That is wrong, especially when the speed leads to a breach of certain rules of prayer. In that case, the prayer will not be valid. Similarly, it is undesirable for an Imam to pray with such speed whereby the followers will have difficulty observing the necessary deeds in Salaat.

Neglecting Taraweeh

No one should neglect Taraweeh without a good reason, for it is part of physical and spiritual training, for its observation soon after Iftar insures timely and proper digestion of food. Besides, there are spiritual rewards awaiting the observers of this prayer. No one would like to leave the Masjid before the prayer is over.

Everybody should attend the Masjid prayers, including women, provided they are properly covered. The Messenger of Allah said: "Prevent not the women servants of Allah, from going to the Masjid of Allah." However, when they attend the Masjid they should wear no perfume, nor raise their voices, and or show their beauty. Allah (SWT) states: "...they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof..." (Al-Qur'an, 24:31)

What ordinarily appears, refers to the outer garments, for when the Messenger (saas) commanded women to attend Eid prayer, Umm 'Atiyah (raa) said: "O Messenger of Allah, some of us do not have the outer garment (jilbab). The Messenger of Allah told her to let a sister (who has more than one) give her one to wear." (Agreed upon)

It is Sunnah that they pray behind the men in the rear lines. The Messenger has been reported as saying: "The best lines for men are the front lines and the worst lines for men are the rear lines. The best lines for women is the rear and the worst lines of women are the front line. (Muslim)

The women should leave the Masjid as soon as the Imam says: As-Salaamu 'Alaikum. They should not delay without a valid reason. In a hadith by Umm Salmah, she said: "When the Messenger of Allah (saas) saluted to end prayer, the women would stand up to leave and the Messenger would remain in his place for a while." Umm Salmah (raa) said: Allah is the best knower, but perhaps the Messenger did that so women would leave before men could overtake them". (Bukhari)

(((( THis type of situation refers to if the masjid does not have separate area for women ))))

Therefore, from above mentioned along with many other ahadeeth it become sufficiently clear that there is no remote possibility that Taraweeh is Bid'ah. And although it is not Fard, it is one of the greatest things which is done during Ramadhan and very meritable in deed and reward.

wasalam

kayleigh

Narrated Abu Huraira:
Ibn Shihab (a sub-narrator) said, "Allah's Apostle died and the people continued observing that (i.e. Nawafil offered individually, not in congregation), and it remained as it was during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and in the early days of 'Umar's Caliphate." 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Abdul Qari said, "I went out in the company of 'Umar bin Al-Khattab one night in Ramadan to the mosque and found the people praying in different groups. A man praying alone or a man praying with a little group behind him. So, 'Umar said, 'in my opinion I would better collect these (people) under the leadership of one Qari (Reciter) (i.e. let them pray in congregation!)'. So, he made up his mind to congregate them behind Ubai bin Ka'b. Then on another night I went again in his company and the people were praying behind their reciter. On that, 'Umar remarked, 'what an excellent Bid'a (i.e. innovation in religion) this is; but the prayer which they do not perform, but sleep at its time is better than the one they are offering.' He meant the prayer in the last part of the night(Tahajjut).
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 32, Number 22

That's the hadith I'm talking about. So I guess not it in general, but it in congregation?

samiha

---------
Staff member

That's the hadith I'm talking about. So I guess not it in general, but it in congregation?

If on the above post you look under Taraweeh In Jamaa`ah i think the answer is easy to find. They didn't source the hadith, but they used the same one you did.

In truth, Umar bin al-Khattab was reviving a Sunnah... the context of "Bid'ah" here has been abused and altered from it's correct understanding. It was something the Prophet :saw: already did, people forgot or neglected, but then was again introduced into the community. Therefore it was an innovation from what was before/prevelant in the community, but not something newly introduced into the religion. IN fact, it was a Sunnah... therefore it was a good innovation or change, but it was not anything that was not already in Islaam.

Taraweeh is from the Sunnah of Muhammad :saw: as well as having it in congregation. THe only reason it wasn't continued in congregation, was for fear of extra burden upon our Ummah by making such a thing Fard - Obligatory.

HOW DID SALAT AL-TARAWEEH BEGIN?

On one occasion, in the holy month of Ramadan, the Prophet (saw) left his home and began to lead the Sahabah for Salat Al-Taraweeh. As the second and third nights approached, more Sahabah (ra) came and performed Salat Al-Taraweeh in congregation with the Prophet (saw). On the fourth night, a greater number of Sahabah (ra) were present in the Masjid expecting to pray this new salat. Surprisingly, on this night the Prophet (saw) did not come out to lead Salat Al-Taraweeh. The Sahabah (ra) patiently waited all night. When the Prophet (saw) finally emerged for the Fajr prayer, he stated to his Sahabah, "I knew you were waiting for me, but I did not come out to lead Salat Al-Taraweeh last night because I was afraid it might become an obligation (Fardh) on the Ummah, which they might find difficult to fulfill" (Bukhari, h872; Muslim, h1271; Abu Dawood, h1166).

The Prophet (saw) feared that if he consistently prayed Salat Al-Taraweeh in congregation without skipping a night, it would have become mandatory on his Ummah, even while traveling or ill, as are the obligation of the five daily prayers. Since that day, the Sahabah performed Salat Al-Taraweeh regularly, whether it be in small congregations in the Masjid or in their own homes.

It's explained better under that article i think

wasalam

muharram23

Staff member
a book by shayk Al-Albani rahimehullah called "A night prayer in Ramadan" mentions that the strongest evidence that resullullah s.v.s used to do in ramadan, the number of rekat, was 11. MashAllah that is why in our new masjid, we do only 11 rekah, alhamdulillah. People say that umar r.a. told the people to pray 20 rekah. Do you really believe that umar ra would do something that resulullah s.v.s didnt do? Wallahu alem

muharram23

Staff member

If on the above post you look under Taraweeh In Jamaa`ah i think the answer is easy to find. They didn't source the hadith, but they used the same one you did.

In truth, Umar bin al-Khattab was reviving a Sunnah... the context of "Bid'ah" here has been abused and altered from it's correct understanding. It was something the Prophet :saw: already did, people forgot or neglected, but then was again introduced into the community. Therefore it was an innovation from what was before/prevelant in the community, but not something newly introduced into the religion. IN fact, it was a Sunnah... therefore it was a good innovation or change, but it was not anything that was not already in Islaam.

Taraweeh is from the Sunnah of Muhammad :saw: as well as having it in congregation. THe only reason it wasn't continued in congregation, was for fear of extra burden upon our Ummah by making such a thing Fard - Obligatory.

It's explained better under that article i think

wasalam

mashAllah, you put that so nicle in such a short paragraph. I wanted to say this, but it would take me pages to explain. Barakallah feek. ZadekiAllahu 'ilma.

Assalamu alaykum

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
a book by shayk Al-Albani rahimehullah called "A night prayer in Ramadan" mentions that the strongest evidence that resullullah s.v.s used to do in ramadan, the number of rekat, was 11. MashAllah that is why in our new masjid, we do only 11 rekah, alhamdulillah. People say that umar r.a. told the people to pray 20 rekah. Do you really believe that umar ra would do something that resulullah s.v.s didnt do? Wallahu alem

Do you think you know better than the 4 imams. All the 4 imams endorse at least 20 rakaat

samiha

---------
Staff member

Do you think you know better than the 4 imams. All the 4 imams endorse at least 20 rakaat

brother! He didn't say that, he was just expressing his understanding, JUST as you express yours. There should be a degree of respect here.

And as for the number of Rakat' it is authentically reported in many ahadeeth that the Prophet :saw: prayed 11 rakah. Furthermore, scholars such as shk. Albani also claim that the sources which say that Umar (ra) prayed 20 rakat are weak, and that it is authentically sourced that he ordered a Companion to pray 11 rakat. And recall, Skh. Al-albani (rh) was one of the greatest Muhaddith of our time. He went through countless books of hadith looking for flaws, and also understanding which of them were reliable. One can also NOT devalue his work he has done in the path of Islaam.

Many sources now we can place firmer trust on because he has checked its' authenticity and all proper scholars recognize the level of knowledge that he had.

I don't have time to go into this. But attached is the book:

The Night Prayer in Ramadaan - By Skh. Al-Albani

You can read it for further information insha'allah.

(PS jazakallahu khayr to admin for sending me that)

wasalam

Attachments

• The Night Prayer in Ramadaan.pdf
    330.5 KB · Views: 175

Furthermore, scholars such as shk. Albani also claim that the sources which say that Umar (ra) prayed 20 rakat are weak, and that it is authentically sourced that he ordered a Companion to pray 11 rakat. And recall, Skh. Al-albani (rh) was one of the greatest Muhaddith of our time. He went through countless books of hadith looking for flaws, and also understanding which of them were reliable. One can also NOT devalue his work he has done in the path of Islaam.

Allamah Ayni wrote in his Sharh al-Bukhari:

"The number of rak'ahs in the Taraweeh is twenty. Imam Shafi'i and Imam Ahmed (Allah's mercy be upon them) assert the same thing. Their proof is the report which Bayhaqi has, with genuine authority, narrated from Sa'ib ibn Yazid. The great Companions, including Umar, Uthman and Ali (may Allah be pleased with them), as also the revered Successors (Tabi'in), used to perform twenty rak'ahs."

Then he said:

"The most excellent and the most advisable course to conform to is that of the Holy Prophet's and his (Peace and blessings be upon him) Companions (practise)." (Umdat ul-Qari Sharh-al-Bukhari, vol. 7, pg. 178).

Not only umar(ra) , every salaf used to pray 20 rakah and its also proved by the life stories of salaf´s.

Hafiz Taqi-ad-Din Ahmad Ibn Taymiyya al-Hanbali (d. 728/1328)

He has said in his Fatawa Ibn Taymiyya (vol.1, pg. 191):
"It has been proven without doubt that Ubayy ibn Ka'b (Allah be pleased with him) used to lead the Companions, during Ramadan, for 20 rak'ahs and 3 rak'ahs of witr. Hence it is the principle (maslak) of most of the Ulama that this is the Sunnah, because Ubayy ibn Ka'b led 20 rak'ahs of prayer in the presence of the Muhajirin (the emigrants) and the Ansars (the helpers) and not a single Companion repudiated it!"

FOr further information about 20 rakat who has doubt or think those hadith are weak this thread will be helpfull:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18013

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,
The Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad :saw: is to read 11 Rakats. He :saw: always read 11 rakats. If we read the prayer with 11 rakats then we are doing the Sunnah of the Prophet :saw:.

'Aishah (raa) was asked how was the prayer of the Prophet (saas)? She replied: "He did not pray in Ramadan or some other times more than eleven raka'ats." (Muslim/Bukhari)

So, due to the above, personally I have always prayed 11 Rakats. Alhamdulillah.

However, this is not a topic to be arguing over. Please see following answer from Islamqa.

Praise be to Allaah.

We do not think that the Muslims should be so sensitive with regard to issues that are the matter of scholarly differences or make them the cause of division and fitnah among the Muslims.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, when speaking about the matter of one who prays ten rak’ahs with the imam, then sits down and waits for Witr and does not complete the Taraaweeh prayers with the imam:

It grieves us deeply that we find in the Muslim ummah a group which differs concerning matters in which differences of opinion are acceptable, and they take these differences as a means to cause division. Differences within the ummah existed at the time of the Sahaabah, yet they remained united. The youth in particular and to all those who are committed to Islam must remain united, because they have enemies who are laying in wait.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/225
Two groups have gone to extremes with regard to this matter. The first group denounced everyone who prays more than eleven rak’ahs and said that doing so was bid’ah. The second group denounced those who do only eleven rak’ahs and said that they are going against scholarly consensus (ijmaa’).

Let us listen to what Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
Here we say that we should not go to extremes or be negligent. Some people go to extremes in adhering to the number mentioned in the Sunnah, and say that it is not permissible to do more than the number mentioned in the Sunnah, and they aggressively denounce those who do more than that, saying that they are sinners.
This is undoubtedly wrong. How can they be sinners, when the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), upon being asked about night prayers, said that they are to be done two by two, and he did not specify any particular number? Of course the one who asked him about the night prayer did not know the number, because if he did not know how to do it, it is even more likely that he did not know the number. And he was not one of those who served the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) so that we might say that he knew what happened inside his house. Since the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told him how to do it but did not say how many times, it may be understood that the matter is broad in scope, and that a person may pray one hundred rak’ahs then pray Witr with one rak’ah.
With regard to the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Pray as you have seen me praying”, this does not apply in absolute terms even for these people. Hence they do not say that a person should pray Witr with five rak’ahs sometimes and with seven rak’ahs sometimes and with nine rak’ahs sometimes. If we understand it in absolute terms, then we would have to pray Witr with five rak’ahs sometimes and with seven rak’ahs sometimes and with nine rak’ahs sometimes. But what is meant by the hadeeth is pray as you have seen me praying with regard to how to pray not how many rak’ahs, unless there is a text to state what the number is.

Whatever the case, a person should not be strict with people with regard to a matter that is broad in scope. We have even seen some brothers who are strict on this matter accusing the imams who pray more than eleven rak’ahs of following bid’ah, and they leave the mosque, thus missing out on the reward of which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever stands with the imam until he finishes (the prayer), the reward of qiyaam al-layl will be recorded for him.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 806; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 646).

Some of them even sit down after completing ten rak’ahs, thus breaking up the rows of worshippers by sitting there, and sometimes they start talking and disturb the people who are praying.

We have no doubt that their intentions are good and they are doing their best to come to the right conclusion, but that does not mean that they are correct.

The other group does the opposite. They sternly denounce those who pray only eleven rak’ahs and say that they have gone against scholarly consensus. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers’ way, We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell — what an evil destination!”
[al-Nisa’ 4:115]

All the generations who came before you only knew the number as twenty-three rak’ahs, and they denounce anyone who says anything different.
Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/73-75

With regard to the evidence quoted by those who say that it is not permissible to do more than eight rak’ahs in Taraaweeh, they quote the hadeeth of Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan, who asked ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), “How did the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) pray during Ramadaan?” She said: “He did not pray more than eleven rak’ahs in Ramadaan or at other times. He would pray four, and do not ask how beautiful and long they were, then he would pray four, and do not ask how beautiful and long they were, then he would pray three. I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, will you sleep before you pray Witr?’ He said, ‘O ‘Aa’ishah, my eyes sleep but my heart does not.’”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1909; Muslim, 738

They said: This hadeeth indicates that the Messenger of Allaah was consistent in his prayers at night in Ramadaan and at other times.

The scholars refuted this use of the hadeeth as evidence by saying that this is what the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did, but the fact that he did something does not imply that it is obligatory.

The evidence that there is no set number for prayers at night – which include Taraaweeh – is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar according to which a man asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about prayer at night. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Prayers at night are to be offered two by two (two rak’ahs at a time). If any of you fears that the time of dawn is approaching then let him pray one rak’ah as Witr.”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 846; Muslim, 749)

If we look at what the scholars of the prominent schools of thought said, you will clearly see that this matter is broad in scope and that there is nothing wrong with doing more than eleven rak’ahs.
Al-Sarkhasi, who is one of the imams of the Hanafi school, said:

It is twenty rak’ahs, apart from Witr, in our view.
Al-Mabsoot, 2/145

Ibn Qudaamah said:
The favoured view according to Abu ‘Abd-Allaah (i.e., Imam Ahmad, may Allaah have mercy on him), is that it is twenty rak’ahs. This was the view of al-Thawri, Abu Hanfeefah and al-Shaafa’i. Maalik said it is thirty-six.
Al-Mughni, 1/457

Al-Nawawi said:
Taraaweeh prayer is Sunnah according to scholarly consensus. Our view is that it is twenty rak’ahs with ten tasleems, and it is permissible to pray it individually or in congregation.
Al-Majmoo’, 4/31

These are the views of the four imams concerning the number of rak’ahs of Taraaweeh prayer. All of them said something more than eleven rak’ahs. Perhaps the reasons why they said something more than eleven rak’ahs include the following:
1- They thought that the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah did not mean that this was the specific number.
2- A greater number was narrated from many of the salaf.
See al-Mughni, 2/604; al-Majmoo’, 4/32
3- The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray eleven rak’ahs and make them very lengthy, so much so that it used to take him most of the night. Indeed, one night in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) led his companions in praying Taraaweeh, he did not end his prayer until just before dawn, and the Sahaabah feared that they would miss suhoor. The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) loved to pray behind the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and they did not feel that it was too long. The scholars thought that if the imam made the prayer so long, this would be too difficult for the members of the congregation and that might put them off. So they thought that the imam should make the recitation shorter and increase the number of rak’ahs.

The point is that the one who prays eleven rak’ahs in the manner narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is doing well and is following the Sunnah.

Whoever makes the recitation shorter and increases the number of rak’ahs is also doing well. A person who does either of these two things is not to be denounced. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said:

If a person prays Taraaweeh according to the madhhabs of Abu Haneefah, al-Shaafa’i and Ahmad, with twenty rak’ahs, or according to the madhhab of Maalik, with thirty-six rak’ahs, or with thirteen or eleven rak’ahs, he has done well, as Imam Ahmad said, because there is nothing to specify the number. So the greater or lesser number of rak’ahs depends on how long or short the qiyaam (standing in the prayer) is.

Al-Ikhtiyaaraat, p. 64
Al-Suyooti said:
What is narrated in the saheeh and hasan ahaadeeth is the command to observe night prayers during Ramadaan, which is encouraged without specifying a particular number. It is not proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed twenty rak’ahs of Taraaweeh, rather that he prayed at night, with an unspecified number of rak’ahs. Then he delayed it on the fourth night lest it become obligatory for them and they might not be able to do it. Ibn Hajar al-Haythami said: There is no saheeh report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed twenty rak’ahs of Taraaweeh. The narration which suggests that he “used to pray twenty rak’ahs” is extremely weak (da’eef).

Al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 27/142-145
So you should not be surprised that people pray Taraaweeh as twenty rak’ahs. There have been generation after generation of those imams (who used to pray twenty rak’ahs), and all of them are good.
And Allaah knows best.

Status
Not open for further replies.