Is the evil eye real ?

Islam!!yay

:salam2:

I was reading on this and I came across the subject of evil eye that It can kill people , I doubt because it doesnt sound like its from Islam.I thought magic and witchcraft are nothing more than fake.I also read that if someone is effected by an evil eye you must ask that person to make wudu could all of these be true I find it hard to accept because it does not sound anything from Islam

What are your thoughts ?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Brother,

I know we have several threads on this subject. Check them out first, please.

Rustandi

الفقير الى الله
Wa'alaykumussalaam,

'Ain or evil eye is as real as it can get brother, the ahaadith (plural for hadith) that supports it are sahih. It may be something strange or foreign for you but from where i came from its just another disease like influenza or something, doesn't happen that often though.

Like Aapa said there are many threads about this on TTI already and i suggest you browse around for a bit, or you can just go to islamqa for a detailed explanation.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/20954

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum,a doctor can say that the patient is affected maybe from a kind of epilexy,histerya,skizofreny or any other psychological desease which needs the usage of medicaments.the believer says that the victim is affected from evil eye.If you give a look around the forum you'll find many threads about this matter.I in 1st person admit that it exists,by myself,if you leave your mind opened to this matter,because if you are sceptic,there is nothing which makes you to believe that it's real.before reverting,I didn't believe to the existence of many things,among these there is also the Evil eye.I didn''t give importance,on the contrary,I believed that it was superstition,because I belonged to that "raw of disbelievers"which denied the evidence.But since I've been starting to believe to Allah,the situation changed.For the doctors I was affected from a mental desease due to the stress or to a trauma(every analisys I mad was negative,I was healthy),but with great surprise,I discovered that I was victim of Evil eye sisnce I was a child.I didn't know it,because I didn't believe to it!I believe that when Allah opens you the heart,He also makes you aware of what you didn't know,because of your "blindness".in summary,Evil eye is real and it can hurt until making a person to become mad,above all if you are a firm believer.Shaytan likes disturbing those who refuse to follow him,on the contrary he leaves among the truobles those who have already made what he wants

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

I was reading on this and I came across the subject of evil eye that It can kill people , I doubt because it doesnt sound like its from Islam.I thought magic and witchcraft are nothing more than fake.I also read that if someone is effected by an evil eye you must ask that person to make wudu could all of these be true I find it hard to accept because it does not sound anything from Islam

What are your thoughts ?

Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

To understand, magic, evil eye, charms etc and how they stand in Islam, go through an excellent book by Abu Ameen Bilal Phillips called "The Fundamentals Of Tawheed". It's available online too.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalamu `alaykum

Allah says in Surah al-Qalam: 51

وَإِن يَكَادُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا لَيُزْلِقُونَكَ بِأَبْصَارِهِمْ لَمَّا سَمِعُوا الذِّكْرَ

And indeed, those who disbelieve would almost make you slip with their eyes, when they hear the Reminder (the Quran).

The scholars of tafseer mention that this is referring to the evil eye. If there is no evil eye, then how would one understand this ayah?

Wassalamu `alaykum

mezeren

Assalamu `alaykum

Allah says in Surah al-Qalam: 51

وَإِن يَكَادُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا لَيُزْلِقُونَكَ بِأَبْصَارِهِمْ لَمَّا سَمِعُوا الذِّكْرَ

And indeed, those who disbelieve would almost make you slip with their eyes, when they hear the Reminder (the Quran).

The scholars of tafseer mention that this is referring to the evil eye. If there is no evil eye, then how would one understand this ayah?

Wassalamu `alaykum

Some say that the verse describes the level of hatred and anger of the disbelievers towards the Prophet(s.a.s), so, it has got noting to do with evil eye.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Brother,

The source of hatered and and anger can be envy. Thus, what you have written is well within the realm of reality. What makes you doubt?

mezeren

waaleykum salam,

Envy is a feeling we all could have. it harms the one who has that feelings. The thing is there are different opinions on different subjects. On the matter of evil eye some say it does not exist. They claim that there is no proof from Quran and mutawateer hadith. What we have is ahad narrations upon which a beleif can not be formed.

So, i am not sure which one to believe.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Well...for starters you managed to evade what I asked. What do you believe? What makes you doubt? Slow things down and go to the Quran.
Envy does hurt the one who envies but in the process the one who envies will hurt the innocent one. The one who envies does not care about the well being of others. They are after what others have. They live for the gratification of their desires. They forget that Allah subhana wa taala has told us whatever He has given us is our test.

mezeren

waaleykum salam,

"the one who envies will hurt the innocent one", but not with his/her eyes, only with his/her actions. Otherwise, i agree with everything you say.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
waaleykum salam,

Envy is a feeling we all could have. it harms the one who has that feelings. The thing is there are different opinions on different subjects. On the matter of evil eye some say it does not exist. They claim that there is no proof from Quran and mutawateer hadith. What we have is ahad narrations upon which a beleif can not be formed.

So, i am not sure which one to believe.
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

Bold and Underlined bit is for you to read.

There are some people who reject khabar Ahaad and do not take it into `Aqeedah. They say that they will only accept mutawaatir reports into `Aqeedah, and if a person was to only accept Mutawaatir narrations, then he would have rejected over 90% of the sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam as the mutawaatir reports are few in number. This was something that was NOT from the madh-hab of the Sahaabah.

From the many proofs that prove such claims to be baatil (invalid) is the hadeeth narrated by Imaam al-Bukhaari when the Messenger of Allaah sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam sent Mu`aadh ibn Jabal to the people of Yemen, He sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam said to him:
إنك تَقْدَمُ عَلَى قَوْمٍ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْكِتَابِ، فَلْيَكُنْ أَوَّلَ مَا تَدْعُوهُمْ إِلَى أَنْ يُوَحِّدُوا اللَّهَ تَعَالَى
You are going to come across to a nation from the people of the book, so let the first thing you call them towards is the Oneness of Allaah…

The Prophet sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam sent Mu`aadh (one Sahaabi) to convey the most important pillar of `Aqeedah and we learn that the Messenger of Allaah sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam did not send a group of them, rather only one of them.

And another proof from Bukhaari and Muslim are the narrations which mention that the Sahaabah turned their faces towards the ka`bah (turned away from Baytul Maqdis) based on the information that came to them from one Sahaabi. This is further proof against those who reject khabar Ahaad into `Aqeedah.

--------​

To elaborate briefly on رَسُول اللهِ (Messenger of Allaah): The first Messenger of Allaah was Nooh `alayhis-salaam, and the evidence for that is the report from Bukhaari and Muslim on the authority of Abu Hurairah (ra) [only part of it has been quoted]:
....أن الناس يأتون إلى نوح فيقولون له : أنت أول رسول أرسله الله إلى أهل الأرض .....
“… the people will come to Nooh and will say to him, ‘You are the first Messenger whom Allaah sent to the people of the earth…”.

As for the first prophet, then that was Adam `alayhis-salaam, and the evidence for that is that which was narrated by Ibn Hibbaan is his Saheeh where the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam was asked about Adam – was he a Prophet? He said, “yes, a Prophet to whom Allaah spoke.” [Remember every Messenger was a Prophet, but not every Prophet was a Messenger]

There are 5 that are the greatest from amongst the Prophets: Nooh, Ibraaheem, Moosa, `Eesa [`Alayhumus-salaam] and Muhammad sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam [This is in the order they came], and from the best of them was Muhammad sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam and then Ibraaheem `alayhis-salaam for they were the Khaleel of Allaah [Close friend of Allaah] and this is the most perfect form of love.

Allaah says regarding Ibraaheem `alayhis-salaam:
وَاتَّخَذَ اللَّهُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ خَلِيلًا
"And Allaah did take Ibraaheem as a Khaleel [Soorah An-Nisaa': 125]"

As for Muhammad sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam, then the evidence is in Saheeh Muslim
إن الله اتخذني خليلاً كما اتخذ إبراهيم خليلاً
“Allaah has taken me as a close friend (khaleel) just as he took Ibraaheem as a close friend.”

[Remember that Muhammad sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam was the best of the Messengers (and Prophets)].

As for the difference between a Messenger and a Prophet: Messengers were sent to disbelieving nations while Prophets were sent to believing nations. This was the view chosen by Ibn Taymiyyah rahimahullaah in his book An-Nubuwaat and this definition seems to include all the Messengers and Prophets and Allaah knows best.

--------​

Finally, the Mu'allif (author) mentions that the one who sticks to the book of Allaah and the authentic narrations will be saved. The Mu`allif also mentions that he will earn reward, and this is that reward which is both in this dunya and in the 'aakhirah.

Source: Go to post 48

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
For those who want to know: What is Mutawaatir and Aahaad.

thariq2005 said:
The Mu'allif (author) mentioned "..which has come from the Messenger of Allaah..", meaning that the report has to be proven that it is from the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu `alayhi wa-sallam [i.e. the hadeeth is saheeh or hasan]

Generally, saheeh and hasan reports are those that can be cited as evidence. Saheeh being authentic, and hasan being lower than Saheeh.

Narrations are of two types: Mutawaatir and Aahaad.

For a report to be Mutawaatir, there are 4 conditions:

1. A large amount of narrators narrating the report.

2. There has to be a large amount of narrators at every stage (tabaq) of the chain.

3. It is impossible for these people to agree upon a lie.

4. The source of the khabar (narration) should be based on sense (i.e the sahaabi reporting should have seen it or heard it)

The Mutawaatir narrations convey sure knowledge and there is no need for anyone to check the authenticity once he finds out that the narration is Mutawaatir.

A real life example for this would be: Ask all the people on this forum if there exists a place called China. Everyone will affirm it even though over 90% of the Members may have never been to China. The reason why people believe in the existence of China is because it has been mentioned by a 'large' number of people and it is impossible for all of these people to agree upon a lie.

The Aahaad report can be divided into three:

• Mashhoor: In brief, this is the report that does not fulfil the conditions for Mutawaatir. It is the narration that has reached us through more than two routes (chains).

• `Azeez: This is the narration that has reached us through two routes.

• Ghareeb: This is the narration that has reached us through one route.

NOTE: The minimum number from any part of the tabaq (stage/level) of the sanad (chain) is taken so as to specify the type of report

As for Ahaad reports, there are 5 conditions for a report to be authentic as mentioned by Ibn Hajar in his book, Nukhbatul Fikr:

• The first: The raawi (narrator) is `adl (upright), the raawi has to be one who is practising in his religion and upright in terms of his honour. Note: What it means to be upright in terms of honour is that the raawi stays away and guards himself from anything that is dispraised in accordance to the shari`ah and in accordance to the `urf (custom of the people)

• As for the second then it is taamm al-Dabt (thoroughly accurate person). This applies to the narrators and is of two types: 1) Accurate in terms of memory 2) Accurate in terms of the book.

1) The narrator is accurate in terms of memory, which means their memory has to be very sharp.

2) If they are accurate in terms of their books then the narrators must safeguard their books in which they have the narrations from their teachers.

• As for the third: then every narrator must have heard it from the person he is narrating from i.e the sanad (chain) of the narration should be muttasil (continuous)

• Fourth: The narrator should not be shaadh(oppose someone who is more thiqah [reliable] than him)

• Fifthly, there should be no defects in the narrations

As for the Hasan ahaadeeth, if the narrator is less in his 'Dabt' (accuracy), then the narration is classified as Hasan.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Help me out...how are you 100% certain that it can not be done with the eyes?

Lets's see where this takes us before we go back to the Quran and hadith. Please know I am taking this seriously and not being argumentative.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleikum

I had such experiences and as a result I suffered from headaches and dizziness. A certain kind of headache.
I use to make Dua and recite sura from the Quran and the pain goes away within hours. I do not think evil eye effect from a distance but from direct contact and hijab is very useful for protection alhamdullilah.

Ofcourse many people never had anything to do with such phenomenon and may doubt that someone can influence the well beeing of another just by bad-energy but the hadith confirm it.

The Messenger of Allah -may Allah bless him- said: “The influence of an evil eye is a fact.” (Sahih Bukhari, Hadith 5299)
The Messenger of Allah –may Allah bless him- said: "The influence of an evil eye is a fact; if anything would precede the destiny, it would be the influence of an evil eye …" (Sahih Muslim, Hadith 4058)
(from the link shared by sister Ni`mah)

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
the eye is a powerful weapon to hurt somebody else!it's wrong that it doesn't work through the eyes.You should listen the experiences of some one.since I was a child I was scared from the image of the eye,when I grew up I found it and discovered that the bad eye came from my own origins in a family of magic-practisers.when someone has got for eamxple beautiful children,the evil eye hurts them,because they are innocent victims of the deepest envy of the ones who don't have the same.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Although the evil eye definitely exists, we need to remember that many Muslims are quick to blow it out of proportion. For example, the OP mentioned a Hadith about the evil eye being able to kill. Upon inquiring about this Hadith from scholars, I was told that this was a weak Hadith and that al-'ayn (the evil eye) although very much existent, does not have much power as people attribute to it sometimes. Believing it to be overwhelmingly powerful to the point where it rivals omnipotence is not only dangerous but in the words of one of the scholars I spoke to "it is an excuse that prevents us from making changes in our own lives" because everything is easily blamed on al-'ayn and inner self-development is neglected as a result.

At the end of the day, we need to remember that Allah is the All-Powerful and that His existence overshadows this. Turning to Him safeguards us from such enemies. Plain and simple. People tend to continue to elaborate and embellish even after that and that's what I consider too much.

mezeren

Assalaam alaikum,

Help me out...how are you 100% certain that it can not be done with the eyes?

Lets's see where this takes us before we go back to the Quran and hadith. Please know I am taking this seriously and not being argumentative.

wa alaykum salam,

As i said earlier, i am not %100 sure, i just stated that there are different opinions about the matter. Why i am not %100 sure is that, as far as i am concerned, there is no proof in the Quran, at least an undisputed one.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum

I am very slow today. Please formulate a question so I can understand what you mean by undisputed proof in the Quran about evil eyes? What exactly are you looking for to help you?

Have you ever passed someone and got an eerie feeling? Has anyone looked at you and you have become physically ill? Has anyone ever entered you home an left an unpleasant scent? Have you ever walked in front of a person and they did not see you?