Is there Dua for longer life?

Islam!!yay

Salam

So i remembered one time hearing a lecture that if you say something your life can be extended. I thought that our life and like when die and all is already determined by Allah SWT ? Can anyone shed light in this.

I read somewherer that the evil eye is real and that if you commit the evil eye someone will die because of you.but doesnt that change The Qadr of Allah SWT ?

I hope bros/sis can help understand
Thank you

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,

What is in Qadr will come to pass. All that was, that is and will be is all written. Allah already knew the if-then scenarios and everything is taken into considerations.

Allah has allowed many things in this duniya to change many things related to us. Dua can change your fate/qadr, but so can evil eye and black magic. Charity can avert calamity coming your way, and kindness to kin can extend your life.

Islam!!yay

Salam

Im a little confused about this evil eye.

Is it something like black magic? if i am envious of someone like that guy has a nicer hair, is something bad going to happen to him like some dark spirits is going to haunt him or something like that ,is that it ?

And just to be clear what is the evil eye ? is it just because I am envious of someone im committing an evil eye? what about if I saw a pretty girl and I stare at her , would that be committing an evil eye ?

I read from somewhere that a mother can harm her baby by staring. I feel like anything we stare at or look at is considered to be an evil eye so you guys have to help me because i take everything seriously.Now i feel like I cant look at my mother.

Thanks

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
wa alaykum asalaam,

According to Islamic tradition the “evil eye” is real, as Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: “The evil eye is real, and if anything were to overtake the divine decree (al-qadar) it would be the evil eye.” (Muslim, 2188)

it is not like black magic nor is it the same. Black magic (sihr) uses the aide of shaytan and jinns and involves shirks. The evil eye (Ayn Al-Hasūd or Nazar) centralizes on the fact that envy, jealousy, or even praise can inflict misfortune, whether it is intentional or unintentional, is believed to cause harm, illness, injury and even death on the targeted person. There's actually the nazar (eye) and evil eye. The two are similar but not the same. A mother could give nazar to her children by staring at them affectionately to much. It's unintentional but it does happen. It's not that the mother is evil, it's just that some people have strong "stares" that they can have an affect on others. Which is why we say "mashallah" when see a cute baby or hear good news of someone, such as getting a new job, getting married, having a kid, etc. The evil eye on the other hand refers to when a person "harms" another with his eye. It starts when the person likes a thing and becomes jealous of it, then evil feelings affect his disposition and view of that thing by means of his repeated looking at the object of his jealousy.

The Muslim believes that nothing happens without the permission and knowledge of Allah SWT, and this is something that Allah created. We ask Allah to be protected by various means (all found in the sunnah):
  1. By having faith in Allah and His Power and knowing that we only seek help and refuge in Him
  2. By reciting the last two surahs for protection (the mu'awwidhaat)
  3. By means of this supplication:
    A’udhu bi kalimat-illah il-taammati min sharri ma khalaqa
    I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from the evil of that which He has created.​
  4. Other supplications to be found in the sunnah

You can read more here inshallah: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=7151

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Also,

Everyone who puts the evil eye on another is envious, but not every envier puts the evil eye on another. The word hasid (envier) is more general in meaning than the word ‘ain (one who puts the evil eye on another), so seeking refuge with Allah from the one who envies includes seeking refuge with Him from the one who puts the evil eye on another. The evil eye is like an arrow which comes from the soul of the one who envies and the one who puts the evil eye on another towards the one who is envied and on whom the evil eye is put; sometimes it hits him and sometimes it misses. If the target is exposed and unprotected, it will affect him, but if the target is cautious and armed, the arrow will have no effect and may even come back on the one who launched it. Adapted from Zaad al-Ma’aad.

There are ahadeeth (reports) from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) which speak of the effects of the evil eye. For example it is narrated in al-Saheehayn that ‘Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to tell me to recite ruqyah (incantation) for protection against the evil eye.

Muslim, Ahmad and al-Tirmidhi narrated from Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The evil eye is real and if anything were to overtake the divine decree, it would be the evil eye. When you are asked to take a bath (to provide a cure) from the influence of the evil eye, you should take a bath.”

Imam Ahmad and al-Tirmidhi narrated that Asma bint ‘Umays said: “O Messenger of Allah, the children of J’afar have been afflicted by the evil eye, shall we recite ruqyah for them?” He said, “Yes, for if anything were to overtake the divine decree it would be the evil eye.”

Abu Dawud narrated that ‘Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said: The person who had put the evil eye on another would be ordered to do wudu, then the person who had been afflicted would wash himself (with that water).

Imam Ahmad, Malik, al-Nasai and Ibn Hibban narrated from Sahl ibn Haneef that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) came out and traveled with him towards Makkah, until they were in the mountain pass of al-Kharar in al-Jahfah. There Sahl ibn Haneef did ghusl (bathed), and he was a handsome white-skinned man with beautiful skin. ‘Amir ibn Rabee’ah, one of Banu ‘Adiyy ibn K’ab looked at him whilst he was doing ghusl and said: “I have never seen such beautiful skin as this, not even the skin of a virgin,” and Sahl fell to the ground. They went to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and said, “O Messenger of Allah, can you do anything for Sahl, because by Allah he cannot raise his head.” He said, “Do you accuse anyone with regard to him?” They said, “‘Amir ibn Rabee’ah looked at him.” So the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) called ‘Amir and rebuked him strongly. He said, “Why would one of you kill his brother? If you see something that you like, then pray for blessing for him.” Then he said to him, “Wash yourself for him.” So he washed his face, hands, forearms, knees and the sides of his feet, and inside his izaar (lower garment) in the vessel. Then that water was poured over him, and a man poured it over his head and back from behind. He did that to him, then Sahl got up and joined the people and there was nothing wrong with him. Classed as saheeh (authentic) by al-Albani in al-Mishkat.

The majority of scholars are of the view that people can indeed be afflicted by the evil eye, because of the ahadeeth (reports) quoted above and others, and because of the corroborating reports and other evidence.

More @ http://islamqa.info/en/cat/2013#3739

Islam!!yay

Thanks guys but I read the posts online.

I can only understand through examples.
what about if I saw a pretty girl and I stare at her , would that be committing an evil eye ?
Or If I saw nice car on the internet that I hope get one day would that be committing an evil eye ?
How about if I met this rich guy but I am not envious of his possessions is that evil eye ?

To me evil eye sounds like magic.Somehow or some way a person will be harmed from an evil eye.

Umm Abdullah

When you see something you like just say : " ma sha Allah, laa quwata illaa billaah". Some people say : " Allahumma baarik "
Just make it a habit, and you will be sure that you won't give anybody the evil eye hehe