is this allowed in picture-making?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:

s_97a23496799e3991c0e20784d723db23.gif

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Technically, its still imitating the creation of Allah, because its a full body image, whether cartoon or not, so probably not???

Ibn Uthaymin

AssLamu alykum

Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan (may Allah be pleased with him) : While I was with Ibn 'Abbas a man came and said, “O father of 'Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures."

Ibn 'Abbas said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him). I heard him saying , “Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.” Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale.

Ibn 'Abbas said to him, “What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects.” ( Saheeh Bukhaari, Volume 3, Book 34, Number 428; Saheeh Muslim, Book 024, Number 5272 )

Dr. Muhammad al-Jibaly said, “The prohibition specifically applies to clear images of the head. Other body parts are not included.”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The image is the head; if the head is cut off, there is no image.” (Narrated by al-Ismaa’eeli in his Mu’jam from the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas and classed as Saheeh by Sheikh al-Albaanee in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah no. 1921 and in Saheeh al-Jaami’ no. 3864.)

Some exceptions

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid said, “Some scholars allow impermanent pictures which do not last, such as pictures stored in a computer’s memory which appear in the screen and then disappear. If the problem can be solved by storing the picture (in .jpg format, then sending it via the Internet, so the picture is not permanent), then this is permitted according to some scholars.

We would also like to point out that true memories reside in the heart, and that many generations of mankind have come and gone who felt love for one another and did good to one another, and a grandfather would love and pray for his grandchild without ever seeing him.”

Shaykh Sulaymaan ibn Naasir al-‘Alwaan said, “If children need to look at images of human beings or animals, whether these are photographs or images on video tapes, if that is for a purpose – such as children or adults looking at pictures of our brothers in Palestine, Chechnya or Afghanistan – there is nothing wrong with a child looking at some pictures in order to learn. But we should also tell the child that making images is haraam and that this is only done by way of necessity, so that the child will grow up knowing the shar’i ruling.” ( http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=13716&ln=eng )

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:wasalam:
@bro ibn Uthaymin,I have many photos of my childhood and many ones of my nowdays' life.I'm affectionned to them,they are printed on photo cards and they reveal the faces of my dears like if they were still with me.Are those remembering haram too?We all know that it's impossible to stop the time,but in some occasions I feel like if a photo that I took an year ago,makes me remember something good,and in a certain sense it's like if the picture has the capacity to be alive.Am I wrong with this fact?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
@bro ibn Uthaymin,I have many photos of my childhood and many ones of my nowdays' life.I'm affectionned to them,they are printed on photo cards and they reveal the faces of my dears like if they were still with me.Are those remembering haram too?We all know that it's impossible to stop the time,but in some occasions I feel like if a photo that I took an year ago,makes me remember something good,and in a certain sense it's like if the picture has the capacity to be alive.Am I wrong with this fact?
:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!!

hope you are in good health my sister:)
sis as far as i know THAT kind of picture stuff is haraam.keeping for memories thing!!............there are many fatwas explaining this.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I'm so sorry,maybe I'm not a good example for muslims,cause I have many memories of my past,before reverting and during my reversion.should I throw all my memories in the trash,because it is said that's haram?No,I prefere to bring them with me,and in sh Allah I'll pay for my disobedience,but Allah created us to feel love and friendship,so what is there wrong if sometimes I like to make a jump to the past?I read that it's haram to make statues...what about tha smilies of TTI?are they haram too?don't be extreme!

Yousef83

I'm so sorry,maybe I'm not a good example for muslims,cause I have many memories of my past,before reverting and during my reversion.should I throw all my memories in the trash,because it is said that's haram?No,I prefere to bring them with me,and in sh Allah I'll pay for my disobedience,but Allah created us to feel love and friendship,so what is there wrong if sometimes I like to make a jump to the past?I read that it's haram to make statues...what about tha smilies of TTI?are they haram too?don't be extreme!

very logical,also made me smile,may Allah make u smile

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!

assalaamu alaykkum wa rahmathullah.

sister dont say 'i'll pay for my disobedience'. with what will you pay?? accepting punishment in the hereafter??

we can rather ask for Allah's forgiveness. as Allah is Most Merciful and Oft Forgiving.

correct me if i am wrong.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

well sis ALLAH looks into the believers heart and depends upon HIS merciful judgement to judge you:)!!but i don't like to take chances when it comes to dealing with jannah.when shaitaaan could easily whisper to me and make beautiful and halal stuff that MAY be haraam.When it is stated pics are not allowed i take it NOT ALLOWED at all:D!means i burn the one i could lay my hands on and AVOID to the best not to have anymore.........okay yeah extremist...lol fine:).everyone got their opnion:)i got and value mine

btw bro above got a point to be noted:)!!

May ALLAH guide us all.ameen

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
thank you for you posts!don't be offended,i didn't judged anyone extremist,but if I must renounce to my photos,I should aswell renounce to watch every image.When one of my dears will die,it will rest only a remember,and how can I remember him if it isn'allowed for me to look at a photo?is it possible tha I am the only one on this forum,who is so romantic and materialistic attached to life?please wake me up!!:astag:

arzafar

tbh i dont think photography comes under the heading of 'image making' unless you are photoshopping it.

Photo is really just capturing light reflected from an object onto a film. As long as there is no 'editing' involved then i dont how i 'made' an image.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
@bro Arzafar:I'm aware that it's out of topic,but I'm curious to know what does this phrase mean.everytime I see it and suppose it's something good.
Zindagi amad baraye bandagi,
Zindagi bebandagi sharmindag.

Abdul25

Logical Believer
i dont think that they are haram to keep them for purpose of memory, i think pictures intending to be worshiped or sth like that are haram but for other purposes i dont think that they are haram just like remembrance or picture captured to remember the loved ones,

well this is my personal opinion,

Ibn Uthaymin

There is a difference of opinion. It comes down to whether you think it is image making or capturing light. In reality pictures simply capture light the same way a mirror does. This is the actual physics behind a camera.

Argument which considers it Halal.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69586

Regardless if you think photos are halal you should not display them such as putting them in a frame or hanging them on a wall as it is likely to lead to veneration/ idol worshiping. Even those that said it was haaram they made the permissibility of images on ID cards or money out of necessity.

Drawing images is haram. Keeping idols/statues is haram. Reflected image (mirror) is haalal. And photography, it seems there is difference here.

This is the argument which considers it haaram(pictures)

Sheikh Nassirudden Al-Albaanee (may Allah have mercy on him) said, “Some of them differentiate between hand drawn pictures and photographs by claiming that the latter are not a product of human effort, and that no more is involved than mere capturing of the image. This is what they claim. The tremendous energy invested by the one who invented this machine that can do in a few second, which otherwise would take a few hours does not count as human effort, according to these people! Pointing the camera, focusing it and taking the picture, preceded by installation of the film, and followed by developing and whatever else that I may not know about… none of this is a result of human effort, according to them. Some of them explain how the photography is done, and summarize that no less than eleven actions are involved in making of the picture. In spite of all this, they say the photograph is not a result of human action! Can it be permissible to hang up a picture of a man, for example, if it is produced by photography and not drawn by hand?

Those who say photography is permitted have “frozen” the word “tasweer” restricting it only to the time known at the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and not adding the meaning of photography, which is “tasweer” or “picture making” in every sense – linguistic, legal and in its harmful effects and as is clear from the definition mentioned above. Years ago I said to one of them, by the same token, you can allow idols which have not been carved but made by pressing a button on some machine that turns out idols by the dozen, what do you say to that?”

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I know the difference between worhipping an idol and to take a photo like a memory.I never stopped in front of a photo with the intention to kiss it or worship it,I know that they are just printed images and they don't talk to me.I say what I feel,cause I found this thread intersting more than i supposed,cause I never asked if photos are halal or not.but nowdays the symbols are everywhere.if you wish to take the guide licence,you must know what the symbols of the road mean,and on your documents you must have your photo.maybe in the past it wasn't so necessary to have so many images -and memories- than now,isn't it?:eek:

Abdul25

Logical Believer
:salam2:

there is a difference between an idol intended to be worshiped and a picture only taken and intended for remembrance, yes if some body takes a picture for kind of worship or hang it in the room and frame it, it is wrong but the pics of the loved ones ( neither framed nor hanged in the room) are not intended to be worshiped and logically they should not be haram, yes i am against the picture making, but this is not picture making.

i think Allah SWT knows the intention of the person better than any one else and what mattes most is the intention for taking a pic and keeping it..

please correct me if i am wrong.

arzafar

as always sheikh albani's argument is sound but my argument still is that photo is not 'created' by man as long as there is no editing. photoshop = drawing

On the other hand an idol is always created whether by hand or by machine. I dont see where or how in a normal photograph a man is challenging the creation of Allah or competing with him in His Lordship in anyway. But that's just my opinion on how photography works.

@sister hayat

The following is a persian phrase which ive written in English alphabet.

Zindagi amad baraye bandagi,
Zindagi bebandagi sharmindagi.

it comes from the famous persian poet sheikh saadi (who's probably a sufi so you should avoid him).

translation:
Submitting to God is life
Life without submission to God is an embarrassment

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
@ bro Arzafar,very beautiful meaning,I'll get it in my memory,cause I like the foreign languages,so I was curious to know it,thank you.about printed images,I throw some photos which remembered me something bad,but the good things will remain in my heart,even if there would be no printed image:ma: