is this fast valid?

ummyasiin

Striving for Janatul firdous
As Salaamu Alaikum, I want to fast today to do like good deed, to compensate for some of my wrong, I know monday and thurs are sunnah which is good today is monday, however can I used this same fast with 2intentions, like knocking down to stones at one time?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

yes many scholars say that u can combine intentions for fasting.

for example, you are going to fast on Day of Ashoora and its monday. so you can keep 2 intentions: fasting Day of Ashoora and monday.

u'll get 2 rewards inshallah.

bemuslim

It is recommended to fast on monday and thursday since on these days our deed are accounted to Allah. But yes you can pray with that intention of yours. However it is not recommended to fast nawafil on Friday except u fast the day before friday or after.
If u have missed obligatory fasting BUT u want to observe voluntary fasting .In this case u can not combine the two.
visit this site and read fatawa
www.islamqa.com

May Allah forgive you and accept your good deeds.
Ameen.[/QUOTE]

ummyasiin

It is recommended to fast on monday and thursday since on these days our deed are accounted to Allah. But yes you can pray with that intention of yours. However it is not recommended to fast nawafil on Friday except u fast the day before friday or after.
If u have missed obligatory fasting BUT u want to observe voluntary fasting .In this case u can not combine the two.
visit this site and read fatawa
www.islamqa.com

May Allah forgive you and accept your good deeds.
Ameen.
[/QUOTE]

mashallah Brother this is what I wanted to do....I owe obligatory fasts, but I wanted to do the voluntary, but since I owe, I cant do voluntary until the obligatory is completed is what your saying???? and I wasnt able to see the fatwa on the link.....it jus was colums of other info.. plz try again inshallah.:shymuslima1:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
I cant do voluntary until the obligatory is completed is what your saying????

he did not say u cant keep voluntary fasts. he said u cant combine them.

eg. u have to keep missed ramadan fasts separately without combining it with other fasts.

first complete ur missed fasts, then go for voluntary...thats better.

bemuslim

[pls try to learn arabic and buy fiqh al sunnah by sadek.it is a comprehensive collection concering types of worship

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

Please let us remain ardent on referring each other to scholarly sources...venturing into personal descriptions and interpretations may cause more harm than good..as we do not know how our words may fall upon the minds of those who read them...that's aside from the fact that we may relate *incorrect* information

Sister ummyasiin...I found a fatwa regarding your very inquiry..and it is in Arabic..but I will translate the segment relating directly to your question..

"And Al-Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen stated in "Fataawa As-Siyam" [Rulings of Fasting] (438) "One who fasts the day of 'Arafa, or the day of 'Ashuraa'a while he still needs to complete [missed fasts] from Ramadhan, [his] fast is sound. However, if he intended to fast this day to complete [missed fasts] of Ramadhan he accumulates two rewards: the reward of [fasting] the day of 'Arafa or the reward of [fasting] the day of 'Ashuraa'a and the reward of completing a [missed] fast, this is in regarding to voluntary fasts not connected to Ramadhan. In regards to fasting the 6 days of Shawwal which are connected to Ramadhan and may not be fasted until the missed fasting of Ramadhan is completed; then if one fasted [these days] before completing [the missed fasts] he will not earn the their rewards due to The Prophet's (saaws) hadith 'The one who fasted Ramadhan then followed it with [the fasting of] the 6 days of Shawwal, is as if he had fasted perpetually' [Sahih Muslim] and it is known that the one in need of completing missed fasts [from Ramadhan] is not considered one who had fasted Ramadhan until he completes his missed fasts"

Please pardon me if the translation sounds rather redundant..I tried my very best to translate it word for word so I do not make any mistakes and stay true to the original fatwa in Arabic...for the sake of reference..the Arabic link is included below...

http://www.islamqa.com/ar/ref/128256/قضاء صوم

Inshallah it will be beneficial for you ukhti...

:wasalam:

Asiya-sparkles

As Salaamu Alaikum, I want to fast today to do like good deed, to compensate for some of my wrong, I know monday and thurs are sunnah which is good today is monday, however can I used this same fast with 2intentions, like knocking down to stones at one time?

Assalamu alaikom wa rahmat Allahi wa burrahktohu,

The fast is given for what is intended, however it cannot cover a multitude of intentions, so if it is to make-up a fast, that is what it is for, if it is to follow the sunnah, then it is a good deed, if it is an expiation, then that is what it does inshaAllah, and Allah knows best.
Fi amanillah

ummyasiin

Alhamdulilah, for all the VERY beneficial responses, Id like to just take this time to recollect this info....I can make this intention to fast for missed Ramadan fast, on the day of a sunnah(Monday, Thursday) and get the reward for both, however I cannot say with intention that my fast is for expiation AND missed fast of Ramadan, however with the intention of making up the fast comes the reward of the two already :)....am I right. basically my intention to make up the fast, is made up and rewarded, so I am do in my original question......and to make it specifically on the sunnah days(Monday, Thurs) is not necessary. pls tell me I understand correctly lol

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Assalamu alaikom wa rahmat Allahi wa burrahktohu,

The fast is given for what is intended, however it cannot cover a multitude of intentions, so if it is to make-up a fast, that is what it is for, if it is to follow the sunnah, then it is a good deed, if it is an expiation, then that is what it does inshaAllah, and Allah knows best.
Fi amanillah

Ukhti baraka Allaho feeki...a fatwa from a shaikh is translated and quoted above..and it's not from any shaikh..but Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen (ra)...please do not give your interpretation *especially* if it contradicts evidence from the Shari'a as you may fall into great error...jazaki Allah khair...

Sister ummyasiin...the fatwa I quoted above states the following...

"One who fasts the day of 'Arafa, or the day of 'Ashuraa'a while he still needs to complete [missed fasts] from Ramadhan, [his] fast is sound. However, if he intended to fast this day to complete [missed fasts] of Ramadhan he accumulates two rewards: the reward of [fasting] the day of 'Arafa or the reward of [fasting] the day of 'Ashuraa'a and the reward of completing a [missed] fast."

What you wish to do (based on your question) is known amongst scholars as "Tashreek or Tadhakhol Al-Ibadaat" (Overlapping of Acts of Worship)...which you may do to earn rewards from *wajib* (obligatory) and *mostahab* (voluntary/preferred) acts..should you *prioritize* your intention
..in that you must make your intention that of *doing/completing the obligatory acts* first and foremost...and should your act fall onto a day of voluntary fast (for example)...then you will earn rewards from both (per the fatwa quoted above)...

So if you have missed fasts from Ramadhan..and you made *the intention* to make them up and one of these "make-up" days falls on the upcoming day of 'Arafa (for example)...first of all your fast will be valid in regards to 'Arafa (i.e. you may fast it)..and second of all you will earn the rewards of two fasts (inshallah)..one reward for completing/making-up your missed fasts..and one reward for fasting on the day of 'Arafa...

Inshallah this will put things into a better perspective :)

ummyasiin

NAAM

Ukhti baraka Allaho feeki...a fatwa from a shaikh is translated and quoted above..and it's not from any shaikh..but Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen (ra)...please do not give your interpretation *especially* if it contradicts evidence from the Shari'a as you may fall into great error...jazaki Allah khair...

Sister ummyasiin...the fatwa I quoted above states the following...

"One who fasts the day of 'Arafa, or the day of 'Ashuraa'a while he still needs to complete [missed fasts] from Ramadhan, [his] fast is sound. However, if he intended to fast this day to complete [missed fasts] of Ramadhan he accumulates two rewards: the reward of [fasting] the day of 'Arafa or the reward of [fasting] the day of 'Ashuraa'a and the reward of completing a [missed] fast."

What you wish to do (based on your question) is known amongst scholars as "Tashreek or Tadhakhol Al-Ibadaat" (Overlapping of Acts of Worship)...which you may do to earn rewards from *wajib* (obligatory) and *mostahab* (voluntary/preferred) acts..should you *prioritize* your intention
..in that you must make your intention that of *doing/completing the obligatory acts* first and foremost...and should your act fall onto a day of voluntary fast (for example)...then you will earn rewards from both (per the fatwa quoted above)...

So if you have missed fasts from Ramadhan..and you made *the intention* to make them up and one of these "make-up" days falls on the upcoming day of 'Arafa (for example)...first of all your fast will be valid in regards to 'Arafa (i.e. you may fast it)..and second of all you will earn the rewards of two fasts (inshallah)..one reward for completing/making-up your missed fasts..and one reward for fasting on the day of 'Arafa...

Inshallah this will put things into a better perspective :)

NAAM, there it is!!! Alhamdulilah rabbil alamin, good sister, that is CLEAR,...CRYSTAL clear, concrete clear, no more questions, or misunderstanding, I got, may Allah bless you all for helping me understand. I love you all for the sake of Allah swt, and it gets no better than that. As Salaamu Alaikum/kii. Good nite

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
NAAM, there it is!!! Alhamdulilah rabbil alamin, good sister, that is CLEAR,...CRYSTAL clear, concrete clear, no more questions, or misunderstanding, I got, may Allah bless you all for helping me understand. I love you all for the sake of Allah swt, and it gets no better than that. As Salaamu Alaikum/kii. Good nite

Alhamdulillah..that's great to hear ukhti..may Allah bless you and guard you..Ameen