Islam, Democracy and pluralism: incompatible?

aless

asalamaleikum

Ive read this:
"there is not a perfect Islamic state in the world today. There are many Muslim countries. An Islamic state is based on the model of the Prophet's (Peace be upon him) state in Madinah while a Muslim state is one which has a majority Muslim population and some Islamic features.
However organized efforts are being made in many parts of the world to establish an Islamic system of government to implement the laws of the Quran and Sunnah. Notable among the organizations which have been working to Islamise society are: al-Ikhwanul Muslimun in the Middle East, Jama at-e-Islami in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Kashmir, Adalet ve Kalkinma Partisi (AKP) in Turkey, Nahdatul 'Ulama (NU) in Indonesia, Islamic Salvation Front (FIS) in Algeria, National Islamic Front in Sudan, Party Islam SeMalaysia (PAS) in Malaysia, and Hizb an-Nahdah in Tunisia. There are many more Islamic organizations which have also been working towards the Islamisation of societies.
The efforts of Islamic revival in Egypt, Pakistan, Sudan, Iran, Turkey, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Algeria and elsewehre have generated great hope and enthusiasm among Muslim adults and youth all over the world. Presently, there is a marked trend among parties and organizations to present Islam in words more than practice. But we must ensure our actions reflect what we profess. Only the will of Almighty Allah guarantee their success. It is hoped that a real Islamic state will emerge from these efforts which will guide the world towards justice, happiness and peace." p171 Islam Beliefs and Teachings by Ghulam Sarwar
Any comments about the political parties and the comments mentioned above would be very useful as well as links to trustworthy websites or books that could help me understand more about this topic (am doing a research)

my main questions are:

are pluralism and Islam incompatible?
are democracy and Islam incompatible?

I understand that in an Islamic state Allah would be sovereign not the people unlike (supposedly) in modern democracies - and I am aware that Islamic teachings state that even in an Islamic state non-Muslims, their rights and their property should be respected the same

do you know of any academic books that cover the issue of Islam and democracy, Islam and pluralism or Islam and deliberative processes?

Thank you :shymuslima1:

Alhamdulillah
Praise be to Allah