Islamic Art suggestions

Ashima33

Salaam Alaikum,

I am a ceramic artist that would like to learn more about Islamic art. Any suggestions? Documentaries or books/articles?

Thanks!

Ashima33

obviously by the response I've gotten, art in islam is not a popular subject? I think this should change.

Yousef83

important is sort of art according to Islam.Science also is not popular subject between Muslims which our Quran and Prophet (s.a.v),sahaba(r.a) pointed out many thousands of times .

naaad

mu'minah
Salaam Alaikum,

I am a ceramic artist that would like to learn more about Islamic art. Any suggestions? Documentaries or books/articles?

Thanks!

:salam2:
by 'islamic art' if you mean what is allowed and what is not--- then i would say it is NOT allowed to make pictures of any living thing (because on the Day of Judgement you'll be asked to blow life into it which obviously noone except ALLAH can do)... heard this from a scholar.
hope this info (whiich many people know) was of some help.

Ashima33

:salam2:
by 'islamic art' if you mean what is allowed and what is not--- then i would say it is NOT allowed to make pictures of any living thing (because on the Day of Judgement you'll be asked to blow life into it which obviously noone except ALLAH can do)... heard this from a scholar.
hope this info (whiich many people know) was of some help.

I'm more asking from an islamic art history perspective. I know there are a lot of mathematics involved and also inspiration from patterns in nature.

AlQurtubi

Banned
Sister Ashima, can you make the design very similar to that which was made at inner walls of ALhambra in spain? It involved not a single living thing. Try copying that as a start.

You can read about art in spain.. This might help you
www.muslimsheritage.com

Ashima33

Sister Ashima, can you make the design very similar to that which was made at inner walls of ALhambra in spain? It involved not a single living thing. Try copying that as a start.

You can read about art in spain.. This might help you
www.muslimsheritage.com

I looked at images of it. And it's amazing. I don't think I can even come close to copying it, but it will definitely serve as inspiration. And thank you for the link. this helps so much!